Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » The Goulston Street Graffito - What Did Jack Do With The Chalk? » Archive through November 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

c.d.
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the police ever find any chalk at or near the GSG? Although it might not have occurred to Jack at the time, being stopped and found to have chalk on his person would have been very incriminating. Even if it happened before the discovery of the apron and the GSG, the connection would have been made later on. The best thing for Jack to have done would have been to drop it at the scene of the GSG or close by. Can the chalk or lack of chalk at the scene be of any importance or is this not worth pursuing? As I have said before, sometimes you just have to run it up the flag pole and see if anybody salutes.

c.d.

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it even chalk that was used? A stone on dark paint may make a chalk-LIKE white line.

But, of course, if it was not Jack who wrote the graffito (as I firmly beluieve on the basis of present evidence) the question is irrelevant, since the possession of the chalk (assuming it existed) would be of no concern to its author.

But then, even if Jack HAD written it, would his thought in 1888 have worked along the lines you suggest?

Phil

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weren't there a lot of market stalls on Goulston Street during the day ? I presume there'd be chalkboards listing the sales of the day, etc. Not hard to imagine a stray piece of chalk lying around...
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He wrote it during the day when he wasn't cutting hair, and then remembered to drop the apron by it later.

Cheers
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

c.d.
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,

Hi. I don't believe that Jack wrote the graffito either. The point that I was trying to make (which I probably didn't do too well) was that if the GSG was written by somebody other than Jack, that they would have simply pocketed the chalk to be used again. Jack, on the other hand, would want to get rid of it. Don't you think that it would be incriminating for it to be found on his person?

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 629
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Don't you think that it would be incriminating for it to be found on his person? "

You mean along with the bloody knives and stuff ??
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

c.d.
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Robert,

If Jack had been stopped on the night of the double event prior to the discovery of the apron and the GSG, he might have been searched and asked to turn out his pockets. The chalk would be noticed but no significance would be attached to it. However, after the apron and GSG were discovered, the chalk becomes much more significant to the constable who stopped him. Now that constable can give a description of the man he stopped that night who just happened to have chalk in his pocket. If the GSG was written by someone other than Jack, he would simply put the chalk back in his pocket. If Jack wrote the GSG, it might have occurred to him that the chalk could connect him to the murder and it would be best to drop it after he he was done. Therefore, finding the chalk near the GSG would appear to be an argument in favor of Jack as the GSG's author. That is why I asked if it had ever been mentioned in the police report. And yes, this reasoning is a bit tortured as I stated earlier but every bit of information helps.

c.d.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3190
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 5:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

if it was written on the way back from school, there'd have been plenty of chalk then too. No?

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 517
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the person who killed Catherine Eddowes was stopped by the police I think that finding CHALK on him would be the least of his problems!
Mags

c.d.
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess the moral of the story is don't write your posts in haste. I had meant to say " assuming that Jack had gotten rid of..." Ah never mind. I screwed up. And I was sober too. My apologies. I shall immediately fall on my sword...Oh wait, I don't have a sword. I guess I'll have to use my trusty Swiss Army knife. I sure hope I don't land on that reamer thing. Oy!!

c.d.

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 630
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Rubelow's revised "The Complete Jack the Ripper", p. 60, dealing with Warren's half baked excuses for why he had the GSG completely erased : "...Warren said he thought that if they had waited so long the house might have been wrecked. Traders were just beginning to put out their stalls and the streets would soon be crowded"

OK - so we have a crowded street with lots of market stalls. How many of these stalls might have had a chalk board mentioning what's for sale ? What are the odds that there was a stray piece of chalk lying around on the street ?

I don't think it is a tremendous flight of fantasy to see how Jack might have come by his chalk...
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just so folks know what I'm talking about, here's a shot of the market stalls on Goulston . I can't imagine some of these dealers not having little chalk boards showing prices and sales.

Goulston Street market stalls
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Chalk powder.....chalk powder....chalk powder !

Thats all I have to say.

Monty
:-)
It begins.....

Harry Mann
Inspector
Username: Harry

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
You mean lack of the mention of chalk powder.
I can understand that.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,
yes, the failure to report said residue.

Monty
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

well - first off i will say wasnt it raining?

and secondly well, wouldnt the chalk powder have been under the apron.

Jenni

Baron von Zipper
Inspector

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

The powder would have been gone if the grafitti was done during the daylight hours (which is what I think). Just on or two passersby would have taken care of that.

Cheers
Mike

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Also if the graffito was written by the Ripper in order to write in the dead of night, in that doorway in the round schoolboy's hand, away from the streetlight which would not have shone in so far, he must have had illumination. A bull's eye lantern, or matches.... were there dead matches in the doorway. Somehow, my money's on a lantern.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

c.d.
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...in a round schoolboy's hand. I am thinking of the biathlon, the event in the winter olympics that combines cross-country skiing and rifle marksmanship. The athletes ski as fast as they can for some distance and then have to stop completely and shoot at targets. Very difficult to do since you are going all out and then come to a complete halt, you have to steady yourself and your breathing and engage in a completely different task from what you were just engaged in. The point? Jack is running or at least walking briskly, his adrenaline is pumping like mad. Yet, he is able to write on a brick wall, using chalk, under poor illumination and still it comes out in a round schoolboy's hand. Quite a feat.

c.d.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2593
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi c.d.,
The answer is whether you think Jack was a killer who acted in cold blood-which is what I tend towards thinking -or whether he had sexual excitement during the murder act itself.
If he was a mad and coldblooded killer then
he could have written in the dark-just like he cut up Catherine Eddowes eyelids in the dark-and he could also have written in chalk in an even school boy hand.
Natalie

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I understand how, by examining the writing, that they could tell it was in a schoolboy's hand, but how'd they know he was round? Mebbe he popped some buttons in the entraceway!

Dave

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the Police had cottoned onto the incriminating potential of the Goulston St chalk, something tells me the afternoon of 30th September 1888 would have been a bit of an ordeal for every pavement artist in London. That would explain the scene censored from a Disney film of 1964, in which Dick van Dyke is nabbed by the rozzers at Hyde Park Corner.

Constable: "Oi, you there! American geezer with the sailor's 'at an' chalk! We wants a word wiv you."

Bert: "Gaahd bloimey, Maahry Poppuns - oy've bin arrestud on shushpishun o' muhrdah!"

Dissolve. Flashback. In it, Mary Poppins remembers with horror her unwitting culinary advice to Bert the night before

Mary [sings]: "Just a spoonful of spirits makes the kidderneys go brown"

puzzled
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there such a thing as stop and search then?

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Puzzled,

Oh yes. Halse performed one during his search for Eddowes killer/killers less than an hour after her demise.

Monty
It begins.....

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn, Mike,

It did rain heavily that night but had cleared up by the time Eddowes was killed. The writing was inside so it really doesn’t matter.

If written by our chap…..

…no mention of dust though on the apron so one assumes that either the apron was not directly under the writing, the apron was dropped after the writing or Brown missed it. Which is it?

If the writing was completed after her murder the dust would have been around, either under or on top of the apron….or next to it. Somewhere on the wall or floor.

If not written by our chap or placed by our chap prior to the murder (confused?)….

…then Mikes views become relevant.

Of course another scenario is that the Police didn’t check that out. OK, but I feel it should be mentioned that Brown, IMHO, would have picked up chalk dust on the apron.

Cheers,
Monty
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3193
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you know that i think the apron was dropped after the writing was written since i dont think jack wrote it and dont suppose our graftit stood on a bloody apron to write it. A bloody apron covered in excrement might i add!

Im saying written in the rain period i guess, who knows if the apron was on top it might have got brush away with it etc.????

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

They can forget the chalk dust, the police obviously found doughnut crumbs dropped by the round schoolboy's hand and kept back the information.

These days they'd be sued for sizist remarks.

And so will we now...

Love,

Caz
X

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

So there we have it. The Ripper was Billy Bunter! Case closed.
Cheers, Mark Andrew Pardoe

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

"Round" schoolboy's hand is just an expression for the type of writing, descriptive to some extent but actually more a designation of the type of writing, i.e., copperplate writing.

This designation is interesting since it denotes neatness, which might betoken that it was not written by Jack but by someone in daylight who could see what they were doing. If it was written by Jack the neatness does raise the question I posed, about how he did it in terms of having illumination. I can guarantee that few of us could write a straight series of words on a wall without illumination. The question that c.d. and Natalie discussed about how he did it when he was running away from committing murder, when his adrenaline was high, is also interesting to consider.

Chris

(Message edited by Chrisg on November 15, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
Oh no, I was just having a laugh; I recognize that Halse meant the handwriting was neat.

Hi Caz,

Any schoolboy truly committed to his roundness would have left no crumbs ungobbled!

Dave

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks:

In writing the messages on a brick wall, I did not remember seeing any residue from the piece of chalk that I used. Writing twelve words wouldn't make that much dust. Had dust been emitted, it wouldn't necessarily have been seen even if a cursory glance for it was attempted.

I suggest this for those who are interested...take a piece of school chalk...write the GSG on a wall from a starting height of 4 feet...put some wrapping paper down on the ground...and see what transpires. Chalk dust is light,not like cigar ash or other heavier residue that just goes "plop !" on the ground and stays there. You'll see.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

When I did my experiment, Andy Spallek questioned the type of chalk I used. Apparently the compund of todays chalk differs from victorian chalk.

Can anyone clarify that for me?

Cheers,
Monty
It begins.....

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty:

I believe the compression factor of the chalk [ not tailoring chalk, obviously ] would be the determinant, not the content of the chalk. Besides the message was only twelve words.

I think that chalk manufactured in the LVP was slightly "looser", in that a stick would emit a bit more dust or residue. This is due to how it is compressed. Even today,there is a slight difference in grades of chalk [ Someone like Binney Smith,who make Crayola@ in Easton Pa.,will use the highest level of compression and then sell less compressed merchandise to other chalk distributors.] , although chalk is usually not that much different from company to company. The obvious exception is that hard enamel type.

I wouldn't think,personally, that a brief message would kick up enough dust to be noticed. Had the Ripper written something longer,then I'm sure dust would have settled on the ground or on something and been noticed by my main man Halse.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

Many thanks for that.

To be honest, the lack of dust (IMHO) is an indicator of how fresh the writing was. As you state, your view that Victorian chalk may have been more 'loser' than todays sorta strenghtens my view on this point......

.....but thats all it is....just my view.

Cheers Chappy,

Monty
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3195
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you think it means it wasnt fresh or it was?

Jason Scotlandsy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like a guilty conscience on behalf of one of the "establishment" conspirators. Juwes is a well known masonic word and not a mis-spelling of the word Jews. As for the whereabouts of the chalk - anyones guess (perhaps carried off in the carriage used by the "establishment murderer's)

Establishment Suspect
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like a guilty conscience on behalf of one of the "establishment" conspirators. Juwes is a well known masonic word and not a mis-spelling of the word Jews. As for the whereabouts of the chalk - anyones guess (perhaps carried off in the carriage used by the "establishment murderer's)

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

I know this might be a daft question but of what is chalk made? Is it actually chalk?

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mark:

Thats not a daft question at all,sir.

Chalk is limestone based.

Here is an URL for further perusal.

http://www.geologyshop.co.uk/chalk.htm

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please see my answer to Mr. George appearing on the A?R M&R thread.
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few observations.

We don't really know how common an implement chalk was in 1888. I suspect that the use of chalk on rough surfaces was a very common means of posting anything, including graffiti, in the VP. It is certainly reasonable to presume that shopkeepers and stallkeepers would have it on hand for posting their wares. Depending upon how one interprets the message (and, for that matter, determines the exact wording of the message) it is quite likely that some merchant wrote the message himself with his handy chalk.

We suffer from our modern conceptions. We associate chalk primarily with education because that is our experience. We cannot transfer this to the LVP without due caution.

Andy S.

Baron von Zipper
Inspector

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew,

I think we associate chalk with restaurants, tailors, butchers, and perhaps other trades as well.
The whole 'schoolboy hand' thing is really a red herring that makes us consider a schoolboy. Anyone who went to school including the poorer kids who went to the Ragged schools, would have been able to write in a schoolboy's hand. That includs all sorts of tradesmen. Like I said, the 'schoolboy' comments serves as a red herring.
Mike

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Spallek seems to have dissolved himself into the common promiscuous pool of Ripperlogical cynicism and skepticism. The sarsons of Stonehenge are set into a chalk plain. Ever heard of the white cliffs of Dover? England is veritably built on a chalkberg. Chalk has been available to the English for eons, and was very cheaply available in Whitechapel in 1888. How do you know a merchant wrote the message? How do you know the writer wasn't educated? Whoever he was, he was able to handle a negative future passive in correct grammatical form, no easy feat for most modern-day college seniors, as I can attest having taught them. How many denizens of Whitechapel could do that? Something quite unusual, evidently, was up in the graffitus.
David M. Radka

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Spallek seems to have dissolved himself into the common promiscuous pool of Ripperlogical cynicism and skepticism. The sarsons of Stonehenge are set into a chalk plain. Ever heard of the white cliffs of Dover? England is veritably built on a chalkberg. Chalk has been available to the English for eons, and was very cheaply available in Whitechapel in 1888. How do you know a merchant wrote the message? How do you know the writer wasn't educated? Whoever he was, he was able to handle a negative future passive in correct grammatical form, no easy feat for most modern-day college seniors, as I can attest having taught them. How many denizens of Whitechapel could do that? Something quite unusual, evidently, was up in the graffitus.
David M. Radka

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Howard,

Thanks for that. Quite interesting and answered my question.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baron;

I'm not so sure about dismissing that "good schoolboy hand" remark so quickly. You might be right,of course, but don't you think its unusual for the graffiti to be expressed in such terms ?

Not being a British citizen/former U.K. student, I'd still guess that handwriting had more emphasis put on it back then in British schools than it does now.

Lets use this analogy so what I'm driving at will be understood better.

Say you have a '57 Chevy. You inherited it from an Uncle. You have taken care of it from A to Z.

Some person with average interest or appreciation of your Chevy sees it and says..."Yo Mike...thats a nice car..."

Another person sees it, an aficinado of older American cars, and he or she says..."Yo Mike...that car is cherry !

The former gave a garden variety response to what he/she saw. The latter used a different standard to gauge your car. The latter would take more interest in details.

Thats a reason to keep this "good schoolboy hand" remark in mind. The police, in my estimation, assessed the GSG by this detail of the good,school boy hand. I could be wrong too.
--------------------------------

Dave:

"Whoever he was, he was able to handle a negative future passive in correct grammatical form, no easy feat for most modern-day college seniors...."

This begs the question...Why would such a sentence be asked to re-construct? Its improper English and a total waste of time. Why would college seniors be asked to supply something such as a replica of the syntax of the GSG to ascertain their abilities in English?

Mark:

You're very welcome and my pleasure. Glad that it helped.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I suspect that the use of chalk on rough surfaces was a very common means of posting anything, including graffiti, in the VP..."

Andy...Actually, what else was as economically feasible,as well as accessible and available as chalk?

"Depending upon how one interprets the message (and, for that matter, determines the exact wording of the message) it is quite likely that some merchant wrote the message himself with his handy chalk. "

If it is "quite" likely, then that begs the question as to what possible reason a capitalist vendor would alienate his clientele? If a vendor worked in that section of town,why post a message with the implicit reference to what were,in all likelihood,his majority consumer base?

Somewhere between David's "Juwes" definition and the deep blue sea, is the real meaning of the second word. The message is based on a specific reference to JEWS. Its misspelled. WHY the author of the GSG used that word and WHAT he was is conjecture.

D'onston had it wrong as well.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard & Mike,

I'm not so sure about dismissing that "good schoolboy hand" remark so quickly.

If nothing else, that statement at least tells us the message wasn't printed. It doesn't sound like much, but it's really more than almost anything else we have about the GSG. For that be thankful I guess.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Stan Reid was asking about whether the GSG was in cursive or script. I believe Chris George explained that that meant "copperplate" handwriting,if I'm not mistaken which means cursive.

Good point Don...

Baron von Zipper
Inspector

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

I dodn't dismiss the schoolboy hand. I just said that anyone who went to school would have written in a schoolboy hand. Everyone learned to write the same way, even in cursive. Of course there were some deviations, but you didn't get good marks if you didn't copy things close to perfectly. I never said it wasn't a schoolboy, just that to think of it as a schoolboy's writing from the description of the graffiti is very flawed reasoning.

I didn't car for your automobile analogy. I truly hate cars. Now if you would have used beers, you would have won me over.

Cheers
Mike

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.