Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the Ripper report; a little help? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jack the Ripper report; a little help? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tallie Crocker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been interested in the Ripper case for years. When my teacher siad we had to do a project on something in the British Isle my mind quickly went to Jack the Ripper. I have to write a 8-10 page report and I'm having trouble deciding on where to go with it. Originially I wanted to do James Maybrick but the more I read about it the more I find the idea highly unlikely. I was also thinking of going with a new view, as the teacher said she'd had many papers on it before, and doing mine on Mary Kelly. But I was wondering what do you think would be the most worthwhile route to take.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tallie,
I would suggest if you are thinking of doing a project on Mary kelly start by reading all the press reports on this site from November 10th 1888 throughout the month.
Once You are familiar with the person you are in a position to make comparisons with the other victims and submit observations like eg; Age , own accomodation, character, people in her life, and also note that she is widely considered the last victim of the series.
The whitechapel murders is a extremely complex case, and speculation using ones own imagination is also useful .
Lastly try reading all the Mary kelly threads on these boards [ countless] and get a feel of the victorian atmosphere.
Best of luck, and have success on your project.
Regards Richard.

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 900
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 1:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about looking at the way in which views of the JtR case have evolved over the last 100 plus years? or even the view of one victim - MJK?

Phil

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tallie -

Firstly, congratulations on dismissing Maybrick. A lot of students come to the boards with all kinds of rudimentary rubbish and it is worse than them having read nothing at all as they have to unlearn all the lies.

My personal theory would be that doing MJK would be probably the worst of the junctures to take, because you will simply be making a rod for your own back. One of the reasons for Mary's 'fame' is because so very little is known about her, and whilst that may make it ideal for a PhD, for a school project it is hardly very helpful.

My suggestion would be to try one of the victims we know more about instead, as you will have more genuine fact to work from. I reckon Annie Chapman is as good a one as you will get for knowing about her life.

If you can acquire Neal Sheldon's work on her you have got it made. However, it is hard to come by.

Does anyone know if any of it is on Casebook?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5035
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 5:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, I think I remember reading somewhere that Neal will post photocopied pages if asked. It's one of those things I keep meaning to do myself.

Robert

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Phil,

I would suggest some kind of analysis on how the theories have changed and evolved regarding the JtR case during the last 100 years - or 50 years, from the early Royal theorists to today's postmodernists - (doesn't need to be too extensive; just a general overview and some personal conclusions) would be an interesting and not too common angle to choose. And which would also show theoretical reasoning.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 747
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True enough, Glenn. I just felt maybe that would be a little deep to analyse for a school project.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4032
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See what you mean, Hutch.
But I don't necessarily think it would be too tough - some of the theories are rather entertaining and the differences between them, and the way the developed, are at times quite easy to define. I think it is up to the theoretical level one chooses to work from - it doesn't necessarily have to require university standards, and since so much already is written about the victims and other aspects of the case (and we have practically zero info about Mary kelly's TRUE identity anyway), I think it actually would be a much easier task to choose this type of assignment, with a more uncommon approach, compared to trying to find a new angle on what so many people have done already (especially since the teacher apparently already have received a number of papers on the subject of JtR).

If one can find a totally new angle and subject of study, different from what others have done, that is generally easier and more stimulating and the theoreticial level doesn't necessarily has to be turn out too deep.

All the best.
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the basic books on the Ripper provide some overview of how the study of the case has evolved.

Phil

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the assignment is to do a report on "something in the British Isle" (sic) maybe you should think about writing about the social and economic conditions that existed at the time; the poverty,crime,influx of immigrants and The Abyss in general.

Jack London's book and the introductions of several Ripper books (Rumbelow comes to mind) are good sources.
Mags

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 2:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...maybe you should think about writing about the social and economic conditions that existed at the time; the poverty,crime,influx of immigrants...

Nothing's changed then!!

Phil

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 5:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tallie Crocker, life is too short and summer won't last forever. As Jim Morrison said "No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."

So the best thing for a young lad of your calibre is dismiss all this Mary Kelly stuff and find a decent juicy article already on this site and print it out for yourself. If you're really stuck for choice there's a delicious article on the Reverend Eustace Blackerby that's just screaming for plagarism.

Your teacher probably has a lot of papers to mark and he/she (if she is a he/she) won't have time to check up on all your resources. Stick a couple of the standard Jack the Ripper books in your bibliography and you're away laughing.

Before you know it you'll be out with the lads draining copious amounts of alcohol down your neck and chasing some quality tail. The last thing on your mind will be your essay which you'll undoubtedly get an A++ on.

You are very welcome to my services.

Eyton.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.