Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through August 19, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Ebaywatch! » Archive through August 19, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazed that no one has yet commented on this.

I think it's pretty safe to say the obvious, but it would be nice to know more about this one and how recent it is. And who did it.

PHILIP

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5021432197&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Philip,

I wonder if anyone will be foolhardy enough to buy it...?
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 4:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't they know it should have the victims' initials engraved on it too?

Chris Phillips

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this some kind of joke?

Who on earth would inscribe a watch with title and date? The only reason I can think of would be for a graduation present.

Apart from anything else the style of script is very suspect.

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps John Omlor will buy it.

Rob

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To quote a French castle guard from Holy Grail...

"Well, I'll ask 'im, but I don't think he'll be too keen on the idea. He's already got one, you see."

Actually, I make them. There's one for each suspect. They'll be on the Home Shopping Network around Christmas time,

Lying through his teeth,

--John

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shall be selling bricks from 13 Millers Court on eBay starting next week.

I found some in the garden. They must be from there because they are quite old.

PHILIP

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3866
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

What the heck.
Put me down for three.

As for the watch, I doubt very much its authenticy (strange though; the seller seems to be regarded with high credibility). Have you heard any comment from a certain noted researcher about it?

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 08, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, Philip,

I've just inherited a pair of old oven gloves made of leather, originally cut from an apron, blood-stained and moth-eaten, and with the inscription
"Grand job the last one was. Jack R. Ipper.
Old Montague Street 1888."

I intend to sell them with £580 as starting bid. A bargain, if you ask me.
What do you think?

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 08, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 2:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the pics on Ebay the only thing which can be immediately checked is the hallmark which is clearly shown. Anyone know which year this fates from???

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris - wouldn't it be amazing if the hallmark was much later? That would be so funny.

I have had lots of e-mails in relpy to sending this out. Everyone says they doubt it because the font is bizarre and they can't see why anyone would have their name and the date inscribed unless it was for a special occasion. And what was it doing in Bethnal Green anyway?

The chap you refer to, Glenn, shares the opinion that it is difficult to say with 100% certainty, but in a day when 'genuine' Ripper artefacts are turning up all the time it is a pretty safe bet this is fake.

PHILIP

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 7:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judging by the information on this web page
http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/hmarks.htm
it's a Chester hallmark of either 1819 or 1885. The page says it's necessary to check the exact shape of the letter with a reference book to be sure of the date.

When he says "hallmarked and dated 1885", I think the vendor is claiming that this is an 1885 hallmark.

Chris Phillips

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't these people at least be original!?

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

The inscription looks old but this appears suspicious to me nonetheless. The supposed circumstances of where it was found, "Recently discovered in Bethnal Green London (a stone’s throw from the Whitechapel area of the City) and recovered from a house (estate) clearance with many other silver antique items and watches" makes it seem a bit too convenient. Since we know that Dr. Tumblety had a fortune banked in the United States it is doubtful that he sold the watch so, if authentic, how did he become separated from it?

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tonight made a very serious offer to this person to pay them a fiver for this valuable item, but have warned them that they will need to pay the post and packaging if the deal goes through.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP - call me a fawning idiot but you always sum things up so succinctly!

PHILIP

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not at all, Philip, at least the brandy works.
I shall come on one of your tours one day and give you a very hard time with my questions.
Then we can get bladdered in the Ten Bells.

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to ebay someone has bid £500 for this. What worries me is that the vendor is keeping the bidders identity secret, presumably so no one can contact them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5021432197&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 7:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hang on, clearing out my attic I've just come across an old goblet with 'The Genuine Holy Grail' painted on it.

Well that convinces me it's authentic!

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bob,

Keeping the bidders secret might be so nobody can warn them, but that also makes it easier for the seller to put in fake bids to try to trick people into thinking other people are bidding on it. A lot of really dodgy items get high bids and then get relisted again later because they didn't really sell. (Or, heck, in this case he could probably just find another old watch to engrave, so there may be a relisting even if the first does sell.)
Dan Norder, Editor

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice find, Bob. Vorsprung durch Technik.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob and Dan,

I've never used Ebay, but I think that bid is the starting bid and that no one has actually made an offer on this watch.

Congratulations on your find, btw! You'll want to keep that out of the dishwasher, otherwise the paint will fade.

Cheers,
Dave

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

You are correct that $500 was the starting price as shown yesterday, although it now appears that someone has actually bid $500 or more to meet that opening bid. As stated, however, the bidder's identity is being concealed.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 980
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thank you Chris. I see a bid was placed today.

Cheers,
Dave

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

£500 actually, gents. More money than sense. Mind you, £1 would be more money than sense...

PHILIP

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heavens! I hope that secret bidder isn't me, as when I offered the fiver I was in my cups and might have hit a few more noughts than I planned?

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am i over-reacting to find it deeply disturbing that people keep butchering old things for a quick ripper buck?

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni - the Ripping continues. But now on inanimate objects.

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,
its a disturbing trend isn't it?

not one i agree with myself

Jenni

glyn james
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should someone post that they perhaps hope/believe its genuine? After all, it wasnt that long ago that this suspect was entirely forgotten here in the UK, until the littlechild letter turned up. Its possible, just maybe, that its lain in london for all this time with no-one realising its significance.
REF: 'why would anyone have their name and date engraved on a watch as its a bit odd'...well chopping up ladies of the night isnt exactly normal??
From what ive heard of Tumbelty, he was a bit of a bighead/show-off anyhow.

Put it this way . . .I want to believe

Glyn James

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 426
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Attention eBay Enthusiasts,

(And possibly, Maybrick Diary Afficionados):

There is an "Air Guitar" available on eBay - as we speak- Current bids of around One Hundred Pounds Sterling!

No time for bickering! Snap It Up! Before It Disappears....Never mind the watch.

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert charles Lindford:

It's okay, you know. England won the war - you really don't have to speak German.

Thomas:

Loves you, liebling! Hey, seems there is no translation for what else I was going to say! Loves you anyway. Always have, always will! Guess I'll have to translate in person.. Ich werde Sie, damnit lieben, in the meantime!

This watch is a fake, by the way. Don't bid.

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert charles Lindford:

It's okay, you know. England won the war - you really don't have to speak German.

Thomas:

Loves you, liebling! Hey, seems there is no translation for what else I was going to say. Loves you anyway. Always have, always will! Guess I'll have to translate in person.. Ich werde Sie, damnit lieben, in the meantime.

This watch is a fake, by the way. Don't bid.

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where the heck did that double post come from?!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4781
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn

I think maybe we ought to say that Britain won the war.

However, England won the World Cup.

Robert

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're quite right, Robert. Although, it was the Yanks that helped us Brits.. (as they seem to keep reminding me). Just have led a very sheltered English life, in the shadow of the war, and all that. Hearing my grandma and parents tell me that England always did everything right. Years later, I'm sorta wondering about that.. not at all sure now.

But, yes, England did win the World Cup (once).

Anyway, forgive this rather off topic post, people - know it belongs on Pub Talk.

Just please don't bid on that watch.

Lyn

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lindsey,

But why not? After all the vendor is convinced its genuine!

Bob

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Urgent for A P Wolf.

If you have seriously put a bid in for this watch I suggest you check ebay. It has received only one bid and that was for £500.

A case of sticky zeros perhaps?

Bob

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JOHN Thanks for the tip on the Air Guitar,but it would be useless to me without an Air Amplifier. Shame though, i can just picture me rendering an edition of John Lennons "IMAGINE".
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries Bob
The cad won't take it.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have to remember, people, that the buyer might be some poor gullible (Gull-ible?) Joe Public sap who has nowt to do with our community and thinks they've got a rare piece of history.

If it IS a true Ripperologist who has put the bid in, I would be very surprised if they were doing so because they believed it was real. They might want to do some tests on it or something.

Anyone got a rusty old hatpin?

PHILIP

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WILSON, COLIN. "My Search for Jack the Ripper," in Unsolved!: Classic True Murder Cases, ed. Richard Glyn Jones. London: Xanadu Publications, 1987. Originally serialised in the Evening Standard (8-12 August 1960). One of the most famo0us of all Ripper authors is Colin Wilson; this is the story of how he came to hunt the Whitechapel murderer. Fine in Fine dust wrapper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLIN-WILSON-MY-SEARCH-FOR-JACK-THE-RIPPER-IN-UNSOLVED_W0QQitemZ8326855012QQcategoryZ2240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MUUSMANN, CARL. Who Was Jack the Ripper?: A Danish Judge’s Investigation. [Romford: Adam Wood, 1999.] First U.K. edition of Hvem var Jack the Ripper? (1908). Translated from the Danish. The first full-length study of the Whitechapel murders. Contains facsimile reprint of the Danish text. Limited to 100 copies. Out of print soon after publication. Exceptionally scarce, as only about 100 copies were printed. Has quickly become one of the rarest of all Ripper titles. Near Fine in pictorial wraps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARL-MUUSMANNS-WHO-WAS-JACK-THE-RIPPER_W0QQitemZ8326862907QQcategoryZ2240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HODGSON, PETER. Jack the Ripper—Through the Mists of Time. London, Leicester, and Delhi: Minerva Press, 2002. Refreshing objectivity, myths disspelled, and a preferred suspect. Out of print soon after publication, as Minerva Press went into receivership; this was a print-on-demand title, and no stock remains. Exceptionally scarce, as only about 100 copies were printed. Has quickly become one of the rarest of all Ripper titles. Fine in pictorial wraps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PETER-HODGSON-JACK-THE-RIPPER-THROUGH-THE-MISTS-OF-TIME_W0QQitemZ8326861731QQcategoryZ2240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Highways and Byways of Jack the Ripper
You are bidding for a paperback book containing 48 pages. A very well illustrated edition which shows in photographs the atmosphere and streets of Whitechapel and Spitalfields at the time of Ripper murders and at intervals since. Many published here for the first time, including photographs of some of the crime scenes as they look today. Includes an outline of the crimes and the victims. A must for any JTR collector!
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Highways-and-Byways-of-Jack-the-Ripper_W0QQitemZ8326852205QQcategoryZ2240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AUTHOR: Leonard Matters

PUBLISHER: Arrow Books, UK [First published in 1928, this edition1964]

FORMAT/SIZE: Softcover, 12mo

PRINTED PAGES: 192pp.

"Through ill-lit streets and squares a killer stalks. His victims, women of the streets. his method of murder, hideous mutilation.

How can his thirst for blood be satisfied? Why is he killing-killing-killing?....

This vigorously written account of the notorious Whitechapel 'Ripper' murders is one of the key books in attempting a solution to the identity of Jack The Ripper...."

Part One [14 chapters] deals with the facts of the case.

Part Two [12 chapters] deals with the author's theories.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Leonard-Matters-THE-MYSTERY-OF-JACK-THE-RIPPER_W0QQitemZ8326825794QQcategoryZ2240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JACK THE RIPPER and Whitechapel Murders

PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE Documents

Jack the Ripper
and the Whitechapel murders

PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE

Informative pack of individual copies of original documents

Housed loosely in a wonderfully illustrated wallet

The true story through contemporary documents.

Between the months of August and November 1888 six prostitutes were found murdered in London's East End. The killer, who became known as 'Jack the Ripper', was never found, and the story remains an enduring source of fascination over a hundred years on.

This pack tells the story through facsimiles of 16 key documents from the Metropolitan Police and Home Office files held at the Public Record Office. An illustrated introduction by two of the world's leading experts on the case provides a full explanation of the documents and sets them in their historical context.

Pack measures 27 x 22cm (10¾" x 8¾")

Report by Inspector Spratling on the murder of Mary Ann Nichols
Report by Inspector Abberline of Scotland Yard on the
Nichols and Chapman murders
'Dear Boss' letter
Overall summary of the murder of Elizabeth Stride by
Chief Inspector Swanson
Report by Inspector McWilliams, City of London Police,
on the murder of Catherine Eddowes
'Saucy Jacky' postcard
Report by Sir Charles Warren regarding his actions on the morning of the Stride and Eddowes murders
Report by Chief Inspector Swanson regarding Metropolitan Police knowledge of the Mitre Square murder
Coroner's plan of Mitre Square, with sketches of the injuries to Eddowes and the body in situ in the corner of the square
A 'Jack the Ripper' letter
A letter from Philadelphia, USA, signed '"Jack" the ripper'
'from hell' letter to George Lusk
Statement of George Hutchinson regarding a last sighting of Mary Jane Kelly
Report by Inspector Abberline on the Kelly murder and inquest, and the witness Hutchinson
Front page of the Illustrated Police News with coverage of the Kelly murder
Macnaghten report, identifying three police suspects
All in good Condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACK-THE-RIPPER-The-Whitechapel-Murders-Pack_W0QQitemZ8326713737QQcategoryZ2240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a FYI so we can all stand around and shake our heads and cluck our tongues, the "Tumblety" watch sold for £770 after a bit of back and forth toward the end.

For readers on this side of the pond, that converts to somewhere between an alley mugging and highway robbery (or, more precisely, in the neighborhood of $1,350).
Dan Norder, Editor

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Dan,

Cluck cluck. 'After a bit of back and forth toward the end' you say? Obviously, an astute buyer determined to drive a hard bargain. :-)

Jim

Harry Mann
Detective Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A rare photo of the two soldiers and their female companions outside George Yard.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep - no anachronisms there then.

Is Martha the one with the blurry face on the left? The one clutching the letter that starts 'Dear Boss...'?

I love the way they are B&W and George Yard Buildings is colour.

Harry, you are a strange man. Welcome to my world.

PHILIP

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Description
This is Whitechapel a companion to the exhibition of photographs by Ian Berry Whitechapel Art Gallery High Street London E1 28 July to 3 September 1972. paperback, 40 pages, 10 photos including covers. Some wear to the covers. Contents: Whitechapel and Spitalfields by Edity Ramsey, Cannon Barnett by Helen Sachs, The Whitechapel Art Gallery by Helen Sachs, Rudolph Rocker by William Fishman, Town Hall Hangover by Andrew Strowman. Note postage and packing costs below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/This-is-Whitechapel-Companion-to-the-Ian-Berry-72-phot_W0QQitemZ8327551885QQcategoryZ69486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A NIGHT IN WHITECHAPEL (1920'S) GUY DE MAUPASSANT
THIS IS #916 IN THE 2000 TITLED LITTLE BLUE BOOK SERIES PRINTED IN THE 1920'S. IN ADDITION TO THE TITLE STORIES IT CONTAINS THESE STORIES BY THE SAME AUTHOR:MAMMA STERLING,THE JENNET, KIND GIRLS, A DEER PARK IN THE PROVINCES, A FASHIONABLE WOMAN, THE ILL-OMANENED GROOM. BUYER PAYS $3.00 S/H. I PREFER PAYPAL. TENNESSEE RESIDENTS PAY APPLICABLE SALES TAX.
http://cgi.ebay.com/A-NIGHT-IN-WHITECHAPEL-1920S-GUY-DE-MAUPASSANT-7-STO_W0QQitemZ6554148930QQcategoryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kane Friday
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Harry,

Martha looks a lot tastier than in the other photo.

I'll bid 25p.
Now how much for P&P?

Kane

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.