Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

John Morrison Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Authors and Researchers » John Morrison « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Received this via email:

quote:

I sadly inform the Ripper community of the death of John Morrison of Goodall Road, in June 2005. John was passionate about Mary Kelly. He had wanted to be buried next to her. Evidently no family members came forth to claim John's body, and I do not know whether he had actually purchased a grave in St. Patrick's Cemetery. He was cremated and the "cremains"- horrible word--are in London Cemetery.

I last saw John in May of 2005. He was ill with cardiac and respiratory problems. I know that John was a controversial figure in the Ripper community, but no one could have been more dedicated to Mary Kelly. Dear John, RIP.

(I learned of this death from a family member who had only recently come into John's life).

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Thanks for passing that on and if he died in June then he was spared possibly seeing the cruel sport some were having with his literary effort. If nothing else, he seems to have been a passionate person and that is often a good thing.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

I am very sorry to hear of the death of John Morrison, and it is sad that none of his family came forward for his funeral.

As I said only a few days ago, he brought forward his own original and plausible suspect, upon whom James Tully based his book "Prisoner 1167 the Madman who was Jack the Ripper". For this at least I beleive he deserves our respect.

Perhaps he was have been an oddball character, but I hope he may find peace.

John

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 3:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

A sad day. Even sadder as it appears family deserted him, if indeed there were any.

As John and Don point out, a character with his own style and beliefs with regards to this subject.

Just like us.

Monty
...and I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now you're gonna die!!"

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4746
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is sad. Of course, anyone who writes anything must take the sticks and stones of criticism and mockery. Some dickhead once called Tchaikovsky's violin concerto "stinking music."

But beyond that, anyone who has a sustained and genuine (non-commercial) fascination with this case gets my respect.

Robert

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may be surprised to hear I am sorry to hear this. I had actually thought he had died some years ago.

Please, Don, do not mistake mockery of inaccuracy as to be victimisation and condemnation of an individual. You missed the point entirely.

I am not going to turn around and recant all I have said about Morrison and his work. I maintain his book is possibly the worst ever written on JTR. That does NOT mean I have any vendetta against the man or wished him ill. I am sorry to see that is what you seem to think. It would have been all too easy for me to comment on the book in crushing and condemnatory terms, but unlike some posters on this board I do not believe in 'cruelty' as you say. I lessened the blow with humour, and you will find the vast majority of posters agreed with me on this.

Morrison was one of our own, though he tried to say otherwise, and for that HE deserves our respect. Not his book.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4748
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 7:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a somewhat macabre coincidence that a man who was passionate about MJK should have been cremated in the absence of family members. MJK all over again.

Robert

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed very sad news.

Jenni

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.