Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through July 29, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Female Historians » Archive through July 29, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zoe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am doing an assignment at school and while i have read many books on Jack the Ripper by Rumbelow, Begg, Harrison, Feldman and Edwards i would very much like a female perspective on Jack the Ripper. Does anybody know of books or articles written by female historians. It would be extremly helpful, thanks.

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is, of course, Patricia Cornwell's Jack the Ripper: Case Closed but she makes some fatal errors. Nevertheless, the book could be said to give a "female perspective."

Andy S.

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plus the fact that Cornwell is no historian and not really an experienced historical researcher (which unfortunately is all too evident in the book).
She is mainly a fiction writer.

Whether or not her book gives a 'female perpective' I cannot say, though.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is also the book "City of Dreadful Delight" subtitled Narratives of sexual danger in Late-Victorian London written by Judith R Walkowitz. Theres a chapter about "Jack".
This is what the book has to say about Judith R Walkowitz.

Judith R. Walkowitz is a Professor of History and Director of Women's Studies at The John Hopkins University. She is the author of 'Prostitution and Victorian Society: Women, Class and the State' and has published many articles on the history of feminism and sexuality. She has been active in numerous feminist organisations

So I think you can guess what point of view the book is taking.

Rob

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Zoe

I would also recommend City of Dreadful Delight: Narratives of Sexual Danger in Late-Victorian London Judith R. Walkowitz as a book on the topic written from a feminist point of view. Ms. Walkowitz discusses the venereal disease acts in her other title, Prostitution and Victorian Society: Women, Class and the State, and so that has application to the lives of the victims as well.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4668
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know whether Kathleen Blake Watkins's articles are available on these Boards? I know she was a journalist, not an historian.

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, of course, agree with Glen that Patricia Cornwell is no historian. I also don't believe her theory for a moment because it is fundamentally flawed. But this is an easy book to get hold of and it does give a female perspective on the murders. In fact, I'd recommend borrowing from your local library rather than spending your money on it. I didn't even wat to spend my time on it so I borrowed it as an audio book from my library and listened to it while on the road.

Andy S.

(Message edited by Aspallek on July 11, 2005)

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy,

It's available on audio??? :-(

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zoe;
I recommend "Jack The Myth" by A.P.Wolf

She is a member of Casebook and has some interesting threads goin at the moment [ for instance, The Sun Newspaper Reports 1894,naming Thomas Cutbush as the Ripper ]

After A.P., there is also Shirley Harrison and her book, The Diary of JTR.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, How.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to remember little old me in my tartan mini-skirt and brandy bottle to hand.
I blush.
Probably the brandy though.

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Glen, it's on audio, both cassette and CD in the unabridged (English).

I forgot all about Harrison -- but I wouldn't say she particularly gives a female perspective.

A.P, it's the initials. We can't tell whether you are male or female!

Andy S.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy
Nor can I.
That is why I employ the initials.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And let us not forget Jean Overton Fuller and her "Sickert and the Ripper Crimes".

Rgds
John

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and Susan McNicoll- JTR, Murder,Mystery,and Intrigue 2005

...JTR-Opposing Views by Katie Newton 1990

...and...and, I must be slipping.

Caroline Morris [ along with Seth Linder and Keith Skinner ]--The Inside Story [the Maybrick Diary saga...]

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Maybrick theory is the most feminist of all the theories; its sub-conscious attraction lies in the claim that Florie Maybrick avenged the murders of innocent women by doing what Scotland Yard failed to do: taking the matter in her own hands and killing the Ripper; she even achieved martyrdom by a world that wrongly assumed her motive was lust and not honor. I can see this as a movie with Meryl Streep as Florie. Of course, Hollywood would have to change the ending, with prisoner L.P. 29 being hanged at Woking Prison, screaming out on the scaffold..."I killed Jack..."
Unless I am very much mistaken, the authoress of the original script was herself probably tapping into and "playing out" her own internal fears and loathings, not too much differently than Emily Bronte.
But to answer the question. "Age of Sex Crime" by Jane Caputi, the only true, dyed-in-the-wool feminist account of the crimes (which, however, only play a co-part in the book) in so much as Dr. Caputi argues the ultimate villain is social inequality between the sexes. Women become victims because society paints them as victims. A fundamental truth: criminals tend to lack imagination; they chose their victims according to the rules of proper etiquette. Irony intended. RP

(Message edited by rjpalmer on July 12, 2005)

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

R.J.

I can see this as a movie

Surely not!

Chris Phillips

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, it will happen, Chris. The Diary has survived set-back after set-back, sort of like Ayn Rand's novels, and still has managed a strange popular appeal. It's to the point where it now gets the obligitory mention in documentaries about the case. The thing was twice exposed as a fraud even before it was published, had the High court rule against it, and yet went-on to sit on many public and private bookshelves, had a symposium organized around it, Ripper conventions, etc. etc.
The real question is what quasi-political cabal is behind promoting the Maybrick Diary? The Freemasons or something higher yet?
Ahem.
'Ripperology' isn't about history, of course. It's about the endless manufacture of new suspects. I got a theory that each age has it's own suspect-type that represents it's deepest fears or prejudices. Conspiracy theories (a la Stephen Knight) were big in the 70s, for instance, the same time Hollywood came out with all those conspiracy films like Rollerball and Network and the Watergate Hearings.
The late eighties, early nineties, filled with urban fears, gave us the profiling craze, do-it-yourself pop-psychology, and thus the killer next door: Cohen, Barnett, Hutchinson. You get the drift. Mabybrick was big five years ago because it's post-modern, it blurs the line betwee true "history" and fraud/comic book ficiton.
I supsect that when the film is made we'll not get James, but something true to form: a new culprit, who forges the diary and the Maybrick Will (hint, hint) and even has the audacity to frame-up poor Florie for poisoning! Ripper in Tights with a big S.A. written on his chest. And with a new suspect, we'll need a new provenance. Or rather an old provenance. I see an electrician in your future. RP

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi R.J.,

Caputi was the name I was trying to think of.

Of course I wouldn't agree that her book is the only "dyed-in-the-wool feminist account of the crimes." A.P. Wolf follows a lot of standard feminist stances in her tome, like the claim that male authors play up rape and sex and the idea that "sex crimes" aren't really related to sex.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

R.J.

I supsect that when the film is made we'll not get James, but something true to form: a new culprit, who forges the diary and the Maybrick Will (hint, hint) and even has the audacity to frame-up poor Florie for poisoning!

All I can say is that if this happens, it will reflect badly on everyone involved in Ripper research - the good along with the bad.

But especially those who are ambivalent about the "old diary" nonsense, for whatever reason.

Even on this site, the pronouncement is only that it's "in all likelihood" a hoax ...

If anyone is kidding himself that "no publicity is bad publicity", and thinks there's anything to be blamed by going along with this drivel, I think he's very much mistaken.

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2665
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The Maybrick theory is the most feminist of all the theories; its sub-conscious attraction lies in the claim that Florie Maybrick avenged the murders of innocent women by doing what Scotland Yard failed to do: taking the matter in her own hands and killing the Ripper;"

RJ,

i don't know that germaine Greer would agree with that!

Jenni
"By the power of Greyskull - I have the power!"

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't go so far as to call female Ripperologists 'historians'. Most write with a personal agenda, others are just clueless. Same applies to female historians outside of Ripperology. Coral Kelly is an obvious exception. Caz has an agenda, but she also has a clue, so she's all good.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

You wrote:

"Most write with a personal agenda, others are just clueless. Same applies to female historians outside of Ripperology."

Are you implying that it's any different with males?
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4679
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We definitely need women to explain some of the things concerning the victims. I was told that Kelly wouldn't have worn the pilot coat to protect herself from the rain. Or again, how would Stride have reacted if confronted by Kidney? That sort of thing.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2666
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

guys!!

come on now, your starting to sound like, erm, I'm not really sure what.

oh well,

Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I honestly cannot believe this thread.

Monty
:-)
Of course this land is dangerous!
All of the animals are capably murderous.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
glad its not just me!!
Jenni

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty and Jen,

I can believe it -- unfortunately. Bad history happens regardless of the sex, nationality or sporting preference of the author. Meanwhile, I am waiting for another screed against that scourge of history snd humanity -- British empiricism!

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neanderthal man isnt in it !Its the 21st century
Tom...............
Wakey!Wakey!

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 3:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

Damn right.

Ah, BE syndrome. I know of only one case. An unfortunate illness where insanity is rife yet nuggets of genius can be located if one looks hard enough.

Most interesting.

Dr Monty
:-)
Of course this land is dangerous!
All of the animals are capably murderous.

Zoe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 4:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help, J. Walkowitz should be very helpful.

Thanks again
Zoe

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

Unless I am very much mistaken, the authoress of the original script was herself probably tapping into and "playing out" her own internal fears and loathings, not too much differently than Emily Bronte.

If, by 'the original script', you mean what I think you mean, then it gives me no pleasure to conclude that you are indeed Mr. Very Much-Mistaken.

Hi Chris P,

If anyone is kidding himself that "no publicity is bad publicity", and thinks there's anything to be blamed [?] by going along with this drivel, I think he's very much mistaken.

I have no idea what you are on about, but I'm glad you don't refer to anyone kidding herself about RJ's predicted film plot, which you describe rather harshly, but with admirable perceptiveness, as 'drivel'.

Hi Tom,

Caz has an agenda, but she also has a clue, so she's all good.

Everyone has an agenda for every single thing they ever do in life. The diary and watch just happen to have been the bees in my bonnet since late 1998, and the buzzing goes on.

Hi Howard,

If gender can ever be sussed from one's writing, then unless I'm Mrs. Very Much-Mistaken, I knew very early on whether or not AP should be sporting a tartan mini-skirt.

Love,

Caz
X

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number one, do we have to make everything into a diary thread. That said,

this is one of the weirdest threads ever. RJs feminist post modern perspective on the maybrick theory made my head spin! (no offence RJ!)

And lets not pretend like we don't all know about what this 'film' will be about. we all know.

At least we all think we know thats why none of us dare say it aloud.

Jenni
"Be just and fear not"

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

Just a small point. If you re-read the latest DiTA post (linked below), starting with the paragraph that begins "And please do not doubt that RJ Palmer speaks the truth...", you'll see that saying it aloud causes no great lightning to come crashing down on anyone's head.

Have a good day,

--John

http://casebook.org/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=4469&post=136172#POST136172

(Message edited by omlor on July 26, 2005)

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See to me John, that is just mentioning it in a round about way. Which we've all been doing.

we know exactly what we're talking about who we know is involved and what the ned product is likely to be but i'm not saying it aloud!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah whatever, i think i misunderstand myself!

point taken john!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4729
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni Pegg, the new Murray Walker.

Robert

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

'Nuff said.

--John

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

yeah feels like it too!

Jenni

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 742
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

.....and how about female researchers? female artists specializing in Ripperology ?

I'd put Nina Thomas and Jane Coram up at the head of the class..They rule.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey How,

you keep mentioning Nina, its been a while since I've seen her around, is she ok?

Jenni

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....and if I had my way, no one else but me would,Jenni ! She's got it all....

In fact,she's currently chained up [ in a nice way ] in my cellar..fed occasionally...with her hands glued to a keyboard...and continuing to pump out find after find concerning Stephenson.

Yeah, she's fine,Jenni....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

tut tut.

Glad she's fine

Jenni

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

And lets not pretend like we don't all know about what this 'film' will be about. we all know.

Well I don't.

What film? About what? Female historians?

Feldman's gone - there ain't no diary film that I know about.

And I know (almost) everything.

Love,

Caz
X

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zoe, Most of these responses don't directly address your question, and while interesting, they DO make us question whether or not there is a "feminine" perspective to be examined. Let me qualify....I'm a crabby old woman who has been studying the Ripper mystery since I was 11, and found a copy of Matters in our local library.......... to be exact, that was 48 years ago. While the peripheral issues have been explored ad nauseum, I don't think we are any closer to knowing who the Ripper was than when Matters book came out....nor do I really care! That said, and being a slightly hysterical feminist, I don't think there is a a truly "feminist" or even "feminine" POV to these crimes. Whether it be prostitute or rent boy, ANYONE who goes into dark places to be alone with another....for WHATEVER reason.....might be placing him/herself in harm's way. Conditions often require many to sell the only commodity they possess: themselves; this makes the sellers vulnerable to attacks, and as we have seen over the years, the most fungible of society, the very last to be missed, the desperate, are the ideal victims for human predators. Prostitutes, especially, have long been the targets of serial killers, for all the above reasons. And, as we have seen, Gacy, Dahmer and Nilsen did their fair share of decimating the fringe dwellers of the gay community. I've read Ms Wolf and Ms Caputi, along with Colby-Newton along with the rest already mentioned, and all have things of value to say, although AP seems to have a better take on the general overview of the events. Read 'em all, Zoe, but don't try to box these crimes. They have tendrils leading everywhere and can make you crazy.

Maybe studying Florrie Maybrick would be a better study of the "crimes" against women in the Victorian age; I STILL believe she was prosecuted because she had an affair, in an age when that simply was not done by "decent" women! Now THAT'S a thread!

Cheers to all,

Judy
http://www.casebook.org/2006

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Maybe studying Florrie Maybrick would be a better study of the "crimes" against women in the Victorian age; I STILL believe she was prosecuted because she had an affair, in an age when that simply was not done by "decent" women! Now THAT'S a thread!"

It is an interesting point to discuss. Personally, I happen to believe that she was convicted because a) she had an affair and b) she poisoned Maybrick.

Awhile back I started up a "Florence Maybrick - Guilty as Charged ?" thread.

../4922/15259.html"#C6C6B5">

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2718
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Caz,

it seems that in fact we nearly all know. my mistake

Jenni

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

Maybe she "only thinks she doesn't know"?

Chris Phillips

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right, Sir Robert. I didn't mean to imply there was no thread, just that Florrie's prosecution was more interesting viewed in a "feminist" light than the Ripper crimes. My apologies.

Judy

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I didn't mean to imply there was no thread, just that Florrie's prosecution was more interesting viewed in a "feminist" light than the Ripper crimes. My apologies."

No need for an apology, to put it mildly. It's an obscure thread to say the least. Unfortunately it is impossible to discuss the Maybrick case without a certain nasty little journal rearing its head.

Have you read "My Fifteen Lost Years", her memoirs published in 1904 ? To say she had a rough time of it in prison would be putting it mildly. It's always seemed to me that her treatment, after all the public pleas for clemency, indicated that the British government did indeed consider her guilty. They didn't hang her, but they certainly buried her alive.

I suspect that her being female contributed to her conviction, but also saved her life.

Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone,

Robert,

I thought the reason that Maybrick was imprisoned but not hanged was because she had not actually been convicted of anything. Now i don't know where i got that from. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to whether that is correct?

Jenni

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.