Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Distances and Lengths of Streets Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Research Area » Distances and Lengths of Streets « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Hamm
Chief Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm working on a few things that involve distances using some maps found on the site. Unfortunately, the maps don't have a scale bar. So, although I can calculate the distance in "pixels", that doesn't help me much.

But, if I could convert pixels to metres (or feet), then things would be better. All I need to do this are some points of reference, which would typically be the length of some of the main streets associated with the murders.

At present, I would like to know the length of Berner Street (or even some section, like between Faircloth and Ellen). Units could be in feet, or yards, or metres. It doesn't have to be accurate to the inch, but something reasonably reliable would be nice. But, if someone even measures something by "counting the number of steps it takes them to walk the length of street X", and also calculates their stride length, that would be better than what I have now (which is, of course, nothing).

Anyway, if anyone knows the length of any of the streets associated with any of the murders, could you please let me know?

Thanks.

- Jeff

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

I have no idea how accurate it is (and obviously you'd like someone on the ground with a tape measure) but the A to Z has a fairly detailed map with 220/440 yard scale included.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Jeff Hamm
Chief Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald,
Thanks! I'll dig out my copy tonight.

- Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.