Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Astronomers and weather freaks wanted ! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Research Area » Astronomers and weather freaks wanted ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Any of you interested in astronomy or the weather.

Ol Monty needs your advice and help.

If your interested in long Moonlit walks and Indian food then contact me on...

....no, wait, wrong ad, sorry....

...ah, here it is, if you interested in helping me out with a couple of queries regarding the weather and the stars then please contact me at...

monty_42@hotmail.com

Many thanks,
Monty
:-)
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

Dave Yost is probably your man for the weather. Dave's articles published in Ripper Notes and Ripperologist were based on studies of the weather at the time of the crimes as well as an assessment of the witness reports. He also researched the weather information that was on the old Casebook Productions site that has been put by Stephen here on "Casebook: JtR."

Now as for that Indian food, and are you talking about stars in the sky, or stars in the eyes, and do we call you Monty or Montague or Mr. B? grin

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by chrisg on February 07, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Many thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

The reason I ask is to do with the mail I sent you. Ive seen that you have replied but Ive not checked it yet.

As Ive told Mephisto....only my Bank Manager calls me Mr Burns....apart from my secretary Kylie !

Monty
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Monty

Mmmmmm.... Wet on the night of the Double Event, Monty, although it had been raining earlier on Saturday night, September 29, up to and around midnight, and the rain appears to have stopped by the actual time the murders were committed in the wee hours of Sunday, September 30, at around 1:00 AM (Elizabeth Stride) and 1:45 AM (Catherine Eddowes).

Dave Yost has written in "Matthew Packer - Final Thoughts":

"The unofficial weather records for Whitechapel tell us there was approximately a quarter inch of rain for 29 September. The official weather records for the London area corroborate this amount, but more importantly they add, 'Sudden heavy R.[rain] at 9.5p.m.[sic] lasting till after midnight'.

Sunday, September 30, would turn out to be, the official records reported, "a brilliant 'autumnal' day." So presumably the streets were wet but starting to dry in the early hours of that day. See the weather tables in Dave's article.

Monty, I hope this helps.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Very helpful.....thanks.

Monty

PS Almost completed.....almost !

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
are you ignoring me!!

But seriously, did you get my email? (i mean the one that relates to this thread well in part!)

Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 7:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn,

Not checked my mails yet. Will try to do so later.

Monty

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenn

Yes he is ignoring you. When Monty is not doing his day job, he wanders the streets as John Merrick. Merrick was deaf as well you know. shakehead

Chris laugh
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Monty,
don't worry about it. just let me know!

Hi Chris,

no i didn't know Merrick was deaf. I do know Monty is not deaf.

and well you are allowed to be wrong once in your life i guess.

Jenni

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ps i thought it was Joseph Merrick?

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eh?

You what?

Eh?

Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man your funny (as in you make me laugh just in case you were wondering!)

but really all this has very little to do with the weather.
sorry.
Jenni

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenn

That's right, Joseph Merrick was not deaf but his twin brother John Merrick was. laugh Eh??? dumbfounded

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
you've lost me.

still, perhaps i'll let you off!

Jenni

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenn

Just joshing with the scribe of Leicester, and I did substitute by mistake the name Merrick is sometimes known, John Merrick, rather than "Joseph Merrick" as it should be. Sir Frederick Treves in his memoir of Merrick calls him "John" so I am in good company.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Chris,

no doubt you are.

the scribe of Leicester? blimey!

Jenni

ps does that account for this mysterious secetary called Kylie!?

(Message edited by jdpegg on February 09, 2005)

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Its thought that Joseph was called John because, due to the deformity of his mouth, when he was asked his name the sound of his reply (Joseph) was interpreted as 'John'.

Basically he couldnt speak proper like wot I do though them there just.

Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
you mean he talked Leicester, ain't it?

Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn

oooooyabuuugah !

ayebegaye, Oakyman, ohyabeutah.

Only me a Jenn know this...the rest of yor aint gorra lordy.

Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

heyupmeduck,

dialect us?

Never
Jenni

ps thats five words ain't it?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.