Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Spitalfields Nippers (Horace Warner 1... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Spitalfields Nippers (Horace Warner 1912) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Police Constable
Username: Philip

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As promised, here's the remaining 21 photos from the rare booklet SPITALFIELDS NIPPERS published by the Bedford Institute in 1975 from photos taken by Horace Warner in Spitalfields in 1912.

He took over 240 shots, but it appears only 30 survive today (I wonder where the missing 5 are?).

On a previous posting on PICTURES OF THE EAST END, put up by Robert C last year there is a shot of a boy outside a boarded-up window. There is a second head and shoulders shot of him here, but behind him on the earlier shot there is a lot of chalk graffiti on the boards. One of these boards has some very smudged and unclear writing on it but it is something like : Mrs Garrison(?), Cannon(?), Common(?), Comson(?) etc etc / 8 Turitms (I know that is incorrect but that's what the writing looks like) Gardens. I have looked on my 1894 map but can find no ANYTHING Gardens in Spitalfields on it; I would suspect if it is there it was a little side alley not named on the map. Can anyone help? I would really like to know where this was! The chances are it was in North Spitalfields as the head office of the Bedford Institute was in Quaker Street.

So many of these shots look like they could be Miller's Court or backyards of Hanbury Street (it is perfectly possible that one of them IS!).

Enjoy!

PHILIP

Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, thanks for posting those smashing photos.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Philip.
Great pics as usual.

And you're right, the ones with the white walls and the window do look a bit like Miller's Court!

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

George Hutchinson
Sergeant

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just had a really sick thought, Glenn.

Perhaps the first little boy is recreating Bowyer going round to the window, and the second is playing a police cabbie, taking MJK off to Shoreditch?

I'm sorry - it's appalingly bad taste. But it did make my nasty side smile.

PHILIP

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3848
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip. picture 15 : very short Shaolin monk attempts to teach Kung Fu to the cat.

"Don't look at my finger. Look at where it's pointing."

Robert

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at all the graffiti on the wall behind the Boy With the Big Hat.

The swirly patterns in the lace curtain in the window behind the two girls with the cat reminds me of the argument we were having about the Kelly photo and whether the thing near her right leg was a piece of cloth.
Mags

George Hutchinson
Sergeant

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert : Picture 15 could also be a REALLY cheap street entertainment. No organ-grinder and monkey; just small boy banging a stick on the floor whilst a cat just sits there!

Maria : There is another shot of the same boy at the same window boards, as I mention at the top of the post. It is covered in chalk graffiti (no, don't start!!!) and was posted by Rob C on PICTURES OF THE EAST END. I'd love to know where the written address is. In view of MJK, excuse me if I am stating the obvious, but Stewart Evans and I have had a good look at a clear copy of this and it is pretty certain she was naked (though I may see a garter if it isn't a straight laceration on the right leg) - what appears to be a puff-chemise on her left arm looks like it is actually the edge of a sheet.

PHILIP

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

picture 15 : very short Shaolin monk attempts to teach Kung Fu to the cat.

Funny you should say that because I was just thinking how amazingly similar these pictures look, with a few substitutions, to some of the scenes I see in the Himalayas today. Take a look at these two photos for example and see the parallels.

HimKid1

HimKid2

To me it makes these pictures less sad, because even though in both cases these kids have next to nothing compared to how we grew up, I've met and played with these kids and so I know how happy and normal they are. Kids are resilient, they just get on with it, whatever situation you put in front of them. It's us grown ups who can't cope!
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3855
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Alan, I myself have just been given an example of how resilient kids are, and I agree with you totally.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George
Great pics and many thanks for posting
Regarding the "something" gardens could you post the writing on the board to see if we can make any sense of it
All the best
Chris

George Hutchinson
Sergeant

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris.

Detective time!

Now the annoying thing is that the pictures in the book are quite bleached sepia, printed in dot matrix, so it is very difficult to get them clear enough to read (I have to do some fiddling with brightness and contrast as it is). Firstly, here is the young man again, proving that alcopops are not a recent phenomenon. This was a modelling shot for Sandemanns & Coke...

wall

Now the writing is on the right by his shoulder (much clearer in the book). Here is a close-up of it :

close1

And here I have rather shakily drawn in red over what I roughly see. The last word is clearly GARDENS but part of it has been erased (Chas Warren at it again) :

close2

Help! Anyone got access to a list of every 'Gardens' in Spitalfields in 1912? There could only have been about half a dozen, surely?!

PHILIP

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

'Fraid I can't help you with the detective work, but I just want to say thank you for these pics. They are beautiful! They remind me of the pics I took of my kids growing up in the Datil Mountains, when we lived in a shack (no doors, no windows, no electricity, no running water, not even an outhouse). My kids were always barefoot (saved a fortune on socks and shoes!) Yes, there are still dirty, barefoot children running around! Though mine have now grown, Datil is still a place to find barefoot urchins. (My favourite quote from a kid.. a new kindergartener, on his first day in the school yard - "you mean we can't just pee in the yard??")

Anyway, thank you, enourmously!

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 4:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The most wonderful Pictures!!!!!
As to the MJK naked argument.....Y E S!!!!!!!!! The voice of reason at last!!!!!!!:-)

Thanks again!

Robert- Love the kung fu image!!

Suzi

Andrew Gable
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cat + window that looks like Miller's Court = we have our first phots of the elusive Diddles, ladies and gents!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Case Solved!!!!!!!
Go Diddles!!!!!!
Suzi xx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loved these Philip---and Thanks a lot for posting them for us
Natalie

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A pleasure. I feel if I am going to be part of this community I should share what I have with it if it's of use. Thanks all for your kind words.

I have been a nosey bugger and checked up on people's profiles - you all seem to have 2 cats! I think you should do a Mr Diddles tribute page.

No luck with that address on the wall, is there, anyone?

PHILIP

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sadly, Philip,

No luck with the address on the wall. I so wish I could help! You have given us so much with your photos and these pics. I wish I could reciprocate.

I wish my long dead grandparents, who lived in the Eastend after their marriage in 1920, were still alive to ask. My Grandad grew up in the Eastend C. 1895.

Phil, as always, I'm no help.. just know that I would love to be able to point you in the right direction.

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aw... thanks Lyn.

I have no doubt this info can be tracked down. It's just getting the right person who knows where to look.

I find on this site, though still early days for me, asking anyone called ROBERT usually helps!

Records clearly will exist. I just need to find a very detailed map of Spitalfields in 1912. And does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the Charles Booth 1889 DESCRIPTIVE MAP OF LONDON POVERTY? I know I can download it off the site, but I want a proper big one I can look at (Ooh, Madam!)

PHILIP

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Charles Lindford,

Where are you??

Bestest,

Lyn

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3866
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 2:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flattered, Lyn, but I think Philip means the redoubtable Robert Clack.

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

Phillip, Can't help with the address (yet!). As for a Charles Booth map, I am sure they are for sale somewhere, can't remember where, but the first place I would try is 'Stamfords' in Long Acre. Sticking there name in a search engine might get you a website with phone number and details. Did you know the 'Whitechapel, Spitalfields & The Bank'
map comes in a 1913 version?

Hi Lyn, Mr Linford has his own qualities, the stuff he and A.P do on the Cutbush threads, puts most experienced researchers to shame.
Also when I am depressed, I just read 'The 39 stabs' that has me in creases all the time.

All the best

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Robert

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Roberts...

I did actually mean both of you, and Sir Robert A.

Yep, Robert C - I do know the map has a 1914 version too. The problem is, the scale is too large to list every alleyway. Though it marks every building, with its shape, those small Courts and the like are too small to warrant naming on the 1894 map (so I would expect 1913 to be the same) and thus I am fairly sure any scuzzy little place that ends with 'Gardens' is likely to be one of these. Thanks for the Booth advice.

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what?!

I bought the book for £12 off an eBay seller last year. Someone has just e-mailed me offering £200 for it - and it's little more than a booklet!

I don't think I want to sell it though. You know how some Christians wear those little wristbands that have the letters 'WWJD' on it, meaning 'What would Jesus do?' to remind them how to behave? Well I have a mental one in my head that says 'WWSED', meaning 'What would Stewart Evans do?' - and I think he'd be telling me to keep hold of it!

PHILIP

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew,

Compelling idea on the Diddles thing, but that kitten was said to be black, this one looks more like a tiger stripe.

And as much as I hold out hope that Diddles had a long and healthy life and didn't meet the cat meat man, I don't imagine 25 years of age is a reasonable expectation.

But maybe Diddles hooked up with a nice tabby and this one is a great-grandchild or something.

(And, yes, I know you weren't serious, but the fact that Diddles was a black cat seems especially fitting.)
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe we should start a Diddles Appreciation Society, call it DAS and can have the motto 'DAS ist gut'!

PHILIP

Jane
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Thank you so much for posting these awesome pictures. I cried my eyes out when I saw the first one, silly woman, that poor little mite in the cart. I had tears streaming down my cheeks!

It does look very much like Miller's Court, but the right angle of the wall there makes me think it might not be, although I reckon it was almost identical. The flagstones are spot on and the bath is identical to the one under Mary's bed (in fact it probably will be the one under Mary's bed when I finish her room.)
You'll be seeing little bits of these pics cropping up all over he place. A bit like Where's Wally. Sniff. My nose is still running from grizzling!

The cat on the sill is interesting. I've heard people ask why they kept a cat when they couldn't feed themselves. They were ratters, especially if there were babies in the house.My nan and grandad hated cats, poor thing was always getting kicked up the bum, but they always kept one for that purpose.Very effective generally. They mainly fed themselves, but they got scraps and I would go to the cats meat shop (offallshop) at Dalston to buy 'Lights' for it (lungs). We did have a cat's meat man coming round with a barrow in the 50's as in Mary's day.

Once again thank you so much for the totally amazing pictures. You've earnt your rank on these alone!

All the best Jane

xxxxxx

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jane. That really means a lot coming from you.

I am amazed and delighted the effect these shots have had on the people who have read these strands. I think it proves once and for all that Ripperologists are not necessarily a bunch of 'sickos'.

PHILIP
x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D A S Founder member me!
Its Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect!!!!!!

Members have to cry Ooooooooooooh Murder at the first glimpse of eachother tho!!!!

Grrrr cant get the emoticons up!
Oh well join up or be clawed to death....!

Saucer of milk to table 2 please!!

Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey lets move this conv to Pub talk eh?

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey just had a slightly daft but lovely idea here......going to do paintings of the girls as cats............,,,,,,,,,and a Jack (Tom) too

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi - if you are going to do that could you do it in a Louis Wain style please?

I hate pictures of animals in clothes!

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.