Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

An appeal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » An appeal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
To start off 2005 on a positive note, i would like to make a appeal to anyone visiting these boards to search their knowledge for any imformation that could be relevant to this subject.
I realize that i am encouraging hoaxes, and total circumstancial recollections, but i feel that the way forward is to find new evidence, however trival the reader may think it is relevant, for at this moment in time the boards consist of approx 200 members, half of which are spasmodicaly contributing, and we are getting nowhere fast.
I believe in the fictional words of Michael Caine portraying Abberline in the 1988 film' somebody out there knows something' and i would like to encourage the average public , that are not members of this site, but frequent it anyway to help in any way possible.
There are familys of the deseased[ desendants] there are relatives of the named suspects [ numerous] and there are hand me down accounts given to living people, that could be relevant.
My Appeal even though it may be a waste of time still needs to be made, because the sad fact is us full timers [ considered experts] need that extra ingredient...
Regards Richard.

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

Whilst I think the idea of gaining information from 'outsiders' is a good idea, and could potentially lead to a good breakthrough in something, I think it is questionable about whether descendants of suspects would want to come forward. Would a descendant of, for example, Joseph Barnett want to come forward if a descendant of Mary Kelly came forward before them? We know the relationship between Joseph Barnett and Mary Kelly, and we know Barnett is a major suspect. So would someone related to him want to come forward and post information about him after a relative of Mary Kelly's had? I just don't know if some would feel comfortable doing it, I know I wouldn't if I was in the same position.

Anyway, an interesting thought, just the same.

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard
I have chased you about on the boards with this information a couple of times, but I am unregistered so the posts go astray on inactive threads, and non members are not able to send e mails to members.
Anyhow if you are interested as you say in finding descendant family members of susects, I have the contact details for who I am sure is a descendent of Catherine Barnett ( Joseph's sister ) in Canada where the family ended up.
I have not been in contact with the person myself but seeing as you are interested in Barnett as a suspect and are keen to find family connections for oral histories, I thought you might be interested in contacting the person.
Please E mail me if you would like the information
Debra

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 6:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know whether the known families of people like Macnaghten, Anderson, Warren, Druitt have been contacted to see what they might have "in the attic"?

We know that Ladt Aberconway had her father's copy of his memorandum - did she have more.

I have no idea whether researchers have already covered this ground, I assume they must have. But is a co-ordinated approach anew a sensible idea?

Second, the UK Freedom of information Act came into force on 1 Jan 05. Anyone, from anywhere in the world can now write to Scotland Yard, the Home office, or any other public authority and ask whether a) the information requested is held; and b) to have that information.

All you need to give is an address, no one can ask WHy you require the information.

The act allows for access to the information, not the documents, but you can ask for the documents.

This is an opportunity to for those who believe papers have been retained, to find out if they are correct. If you are not satisfied with the initial response (which MUST be given with 20 working-days) then you can appeal progressively up to the Information Commissioner

Just a couple of ideas,

Phil

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Nunweek wrote:
"...I realize that i am encouraging hoaxes, and total circumstancial recollections, but i feel that the way forward is to find new evidence, however trival the reader may think it is relevant, for at this moment in time the boards consist of approx 200 members, half of which are spasmodicaly contributing, and we are getting nowhere fast..."

>>"New evidence" is the central myth of Ripperology. It is itself now trivial. The crowd has accepted a British tone to the case, resulting in a widespread uncritical belief in British empiricism. Any cynical crank can now provide new empirical information and claim it solves the case, despite not having any reasonable way to relate it to the case evidence. But empiricism is not the only way to pursue truth, continental rationalism, in effect attempting to solve the case based on a blend of (1) the ideas it contains, and (2) the empirical case evidence, is available as an alternative.

The Ripperologist has a choice today, first afforded him by A?R. Either continue in the mainstream ways and deal with the regularly-appearing new empirical crank theories in turn, or seek the reasonable alternative.

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

You're now writing your own advertisements on other threads?

If we use Safari instead of IE, will these be blocked like the pop-up ones?

Just wondering,

--John

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Either continue in the mainstream ways and deal with the regularly-appearing new empirical crank theories in turn, or seek the reasonable alternative...'

Either.....or.....

Hmm. A bit reminiscent of the 'False Dilemma.'

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 9:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

While I appreciate your reasons for your request I think that it is not likely to get many responses. One thing about this case and the Casebook website that I have slowly become aware of - when you have an unsolved crime of over 100 years ago that had world wide attention there will always be so much minutiae to discuss that sifting through it becomes difficult. I am very optimistic, however, for I have seen a great deal of new information of some value appear concerning Druitt, Cutbush, Tumblety, D'Onston, and the Victims appear on the threads and in the Ripperologist. Maybe we haven't realized the solution as yet (or we have overlooked it) but we haven't our time.

Jeff

Sir Robert Anderson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"when you have an unsolved crime of over 100 years ago that had world wide attention there will always be so much minutiae to discuss that sifting through it becomes difficult."

Not to mention that a great deal has been lost forever, especially in the London Blitz but as well in Victorian era notions of recycling.

One thing I have noticed in the boards over the years is a general sense that the police were bumblers, when the reality is we will never know the totality of what they knew.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeffrey,
I agree with you it was proberly a futile attempt , however I live in hope that mayby a descendant of a relevant person in this case , mayby a victims relative or even a suspects. may have some snippet of information that could become once decifered Hot.....
Mary kelly is the dark horse in this case for we know absolutely nothing about her true identity, the other victims have been well documented, surely there is some desendant living who has a inkling that their great great Aunt or whatever was the millers court victim, the entire family and desendants could not completely cease to exist.
I appreciate that not everyone out there in computerland has a fascination for crime, but information that could be relevant to these murders is needed.
Lets face it any relation living to the actual murderer, would not have to feel remorse in giving up his/her ancestor, for the person was a homicidal maniac.
And any victims descendant would only help in mayby releasing their past relative , however distant from dying in vain, and there killer escaping justice.
Richard.

Paul Williams
Sergeant
Username: Wehrwulf

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's possible that indiviudals researching their family tree may uncover information of relevance to Ripper studies but be unaware of its significance. For example someone might find a relative named Mary or Alice who disappeared from the records in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Unless they were aware of a possible connection to Jack they would not publicise this information beyond the confines of immediate family and friends.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.