Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Schools Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Victorian Culture and Related Issues » Schools « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

help me out here!!!

I was wondering what schools there were about in Whitechapel/Spitalfields in 1888?

I thought there was a Board School near one of the murder sites (I thought Bucks Row but maybe i dreamt this)- I can't for the life of me figure out if i made that last piece of information up!!??

Anyway, you probably know the issue of education is an interest of mine (of some considerable magnitude!!) which is why I ask more generally and wonder what schools were around? (that and to put off writing my dissertation which is on schools!!)

Cheers everyone in advance
Jenni
Ho! HO! Ho!!!!!!!

Nina Thomas
Inspector
Username: Nina

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

You didn't dream it, there was a board school in Bucks Row. I seem to remember that it was 70' west of the murder.
The Complete History of Jack The Ripper Sudgen
Mentions the board school at the begging of chapter 3 and and includes a map.

Nina

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennie,

The following workhouse site has considerable information concerning education for the poor. Just click on education on the menu.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Nina

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Nina,
thanks for that reaching for my sugden now!

Jenni
Ho! HO! Ho!!!!!!!

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni

The school in Bucks Row is still there. It has been converted into flats now. There are photos of it on this site under 'Victorian London', at the bottom of the page 'Whitechapel then and now' click Bucks Row and they are the first, third and last photos.

I looked at my map of 1894, and there were at least 15 schools in the Whitechapel/Spitalfields area. There was one opposite Dutfields Yard, Berner Street. There is still a school on that site, but a different building from the one there in 1888. There is also one by Mitre Square.

This site might also interest you
http://www.victorianlondon.org/ and click on education.

All the best

Rob

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

thanks for the info.

Jenni
Ho! HO! Ho!!!!!!!

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

Just found another site. This one deals with free Jewish schools in the east end.
http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/histories/jewish/growing_up/jfs1.htm#

Nina

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.