Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

AT THE RISK OF SPOUTING OFF!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » AT THE RISK OF SPOUTING OFF!! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 01, 2005Suzi Hanney50 1-01-05  6:24 pm
Archive through January 07, 2005Donald Souden50 1-07-05  8:11 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Regarding accents, having lived in the US for 16 years now, my family tell me that I have a very pronounced American accent. (Mind you, two minutes on the blower to Suzi, and I'm as English as they come!) Someone remind me how many years Liz had lived in London, please. My books are still in custody..

As to her perhaps picking up some Yiddish, I have to agree with Don. Perhaps she was able to pick up a few words through working for Jewish families. As it happens, today, at work, a Spanish co-worker asked a Navajo co-worker what a certain Navajo word meant. Without thinking, I told him the translation in Spanish... I later heard the Navajo co-worker telling the other Navajos that I "can speak Navajo" (!) which I can't. I've actually just picked up the swear words (most commonly used at work). Same with Spanish. I've just picked up a few words that enable me to communicate at work. Perhaps this not only can explain Liz's "English" accent, but the "she was said to speak Yiddish".

Or, then again, I may be completely off the wall!
Only trying to help, folks

Bestest,

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm...

Just realised that this is the "At the risk of spouting off" thread. Why are we discussing Liz Stride here?

Bestest,

Lyn

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don and Lyn,

I think what you say it's absolutely possible; if she had been working for Jewish families, of course she could have picked up a couple of words or lines here and there.
But that is not the issue; some Swedish papers say that she spoke Yiddish fluently and English with no accident (while some say the contrary), which I find hard to believe.

Let's face it, Stride was quite close a pathological liar and were known for spicing up a lot of stuff regarding her life's story and her circumstances. I guess that was one of the few things that kept her nose above the misery she lived in.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have no idea, Lyn.

I guess it's because the issue with the kettle really may be not that exciting in order to keep it going for several posts. We have already debated other stuff here besides Stride as well.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BRILLIANT! Lyn!!!

Orl roight moi babes!!!!! cummin dain tain!!!!or upta moi ace?????

Translation avaiable!!!!!

Don-Think thats a graet solution to this one! Thanks

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don-

Doesn't help you spell tho all this venacular!!!!!!!

:-)

Suzi

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe Liz's biggest lie was that she was a JtR victim, when she wasn't at all. Indeed, maybe she lied about being Liz Stride - didn't one woman identify the body and say it was her sister!!

Maybe she even lied about being dead, which was why few turned up to the funeral!

Sorry about that a momentary lapse - a "trigger-thingy".

Oh, and I won't mention the rat.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil

So what it boils down to is, Liz was too frightened of Kidney to charge him with her murder.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert!
That's wht I've thought all along!!
a domestic!!!!!!! KIDNEY WAS IN MY HUMBLE OPINION A NASTY PIECE OF WORK ooooops caps but am sure
a)Liz wasnt a victim and b) Kidney did for her in a domestic of some kind This sortof thing happened all the time..maybe only after the'Whitechapels' people chose to remark on em!

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

I tend to go for Jack, myself. Don't forget, the cachous had to get into her hand somehow. I think by the time she thought about having a cachou, "Broadshoulders" had cleared off.

But I'm not dogmatic about it.

Robert

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think her "lover" had given her the cachous, earlier. She may even have bought them herself to make her own breath smell nicer for someone who was more of a "gentleman" (I use the term very loosely and in a comparaytive way). just as the same man had bought her the grapes from Packer's shop.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe, Phil, but if Kidney had just attacked her in the street, would she be likely to go into a dark yard with him and take her cachous out?

Robert

Philip L. Hill
Police Constable
Username: Phil

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They may have been clutched in her hand the whole time.

I think she was pushed/bundled into the yard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, but surely if she was thrown down she would have dropped them?

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm Cachous cachous.... theres that post mortem cadaveric grip thing isnt there that makes a grip of the last thing in your hand! God that could be fun!!
SERIOUSLY Suzi.......ok she may have had them who knows ....more likely than the grapes though...M.Packer nothwithstanding!

Rob I believe this was a domestic and throwing to the ground seems likely...cachous...Oh I dunno but she may have held onto em

Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

"Maybe, Phil, but if Kidney had just attacked her in the street, would she be likely to go into a dark yard with him and take her cachous out?"

She could have carried them anyway. He (or whoever it was) could have disturbed her when she was waiting for a client. As Phil says: "They may have been clutched in her hand the whole time.".
As for the yard, there are quite a few possible explanations to how she could have ended up there. And it was only just inside the gates.

"Ah, but surely if she was thrown down she would have dropped them?"

Well, some of them were apparently spilled out on the ground.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

As far as I can recall, any cachous found out of their wrapper were in the yard, not the footway outside. If Kidney = killer = broadshoulders, and she had the cachous out the whole time, then she'd have had to hold onto them while being thrown to the ground, or else bothered to pick them up afterwards, with an angry Kidney standing over her. Also, I think they were only wrapped in a folded piece of paper. I mean, it wasn't a paper bag or anything like that.

Robert

Jeff Stone
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which would have been hotter? The fire that melted it weeks before, or a fire that burned all night on the night of the murder? Guess Abberline assumed he was being rational

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2774
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Yes, you're right.
*sigh* Ah, these +$¤##<!!* cachous is a nuisance to the whole investigation...They just don't fit in anywhere!

All the best
G, Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on January 10, 2005)
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn
Cachous!!+*^%%%"""!!!!!!! they may have been one of a series of 'gifts' tho like bonnets and other stuff tho
Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.