Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 11, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Ebaywatch! » Archive through November 11, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excuse the dreadful pun (and apologies to David Hasselhof!) but i thought it might be worth bringing any items of possible interest on Ebay into one thread.

To kick off (and for those of you with older sound equipment) there is a rare bit of vinyl on Ebay at the moment:

RCA CAL 590. "INCIDENTAL MUSIC BY STANLEY BLACK, DIALOGUE FROM THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK OF JACK THE RIPPER. COMPLETE STORY OF THE WORLD'S MOST WANTED CRIMINAL. NARRATION BY CEDRICK HARDWICKE"

THIS IS A RARE 1960 MONO RELEASE THAT FEATURES THE COMPLETE STORY OF JACK THE RIPPER NARRATED BY CEDRIC HARDWICKE WITH MUSIC AND DIALOGUE FROM THE FILM.

VINYL IS VG+, FRONT COVER IS VG+ BACK COVER IS VG WITH RING WEAR. THERE IS TAPE ON THE TOP SPINE.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4048644639&rd=1

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Could you put up that Vulcan bomber that's for sale? You don't see many of those!

Robert

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this thread is a great idea. We all bemoan the disappearance of evidence and wish some would turn up. If it does, it could very easily make its way to ebay.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"possibly a most controversial lot . 7 oils on hmp prison mattress covers painted by the notorious Yorkshire Ripper - Peter Sutcliffe and signed by him .These items were given to a cellmate now deceased .His relative owns these items and wishing to remain anonymous has asked me to sell them for him .I am on commission and will donate 25% of my fee to charity (details on request).There is abundant documentary proof of authenticity available and other lots of ephemera and memorabilia including correspondence from Charlie Richardson ,Reg Kray and others, will be available to interested parties.Questions welcome .Several bizarre "satanic" subjects and portraits of fellow prisoners included much fuller details available . No Nutters or Freaks please!!! various sizes from 46 x 69 to 74 x 48 cms mostly framed.On instruction from my client, I reserve the right to cancel this sale at any time and for any reason.The items are on sale elsewhere .my client is understandably "sensitive "about these items since they were the property of his late relative.Documents referring to these paintings and establishing their authenticity/provenance will be included in the lot"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=2280640127&rd=1

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

the joys of e bay hey?
sounds weird, i particularly like the bit no nutters or freaks please (like one is going to go, oh i'm a nutter so i won't bother!)

Anyway,
interesting as always and certainly odd
Jenni
We're off to Button Moon, we'll follow Mr Spoon,

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paintings painted by a nutter and a freak not available to other nutters and freaks?
Please... I need a bucket.
Actually I would pay a quid for the lot, just to throw them in the fire and then dance around it singing 'art my bloated buttocks!'
If Sickert murdered art, then this complete and utter nutter and freak has crucified it.
It will be his poetry next:

'I used screwdriver, hammer and nail
because I was a totally inadequate male,
failing erection
I did dissection
but upon further inspection
there was still no erection
so for a start
I took up art
and a bit of rhyme
just to pass the 'time'.

signed: peter (age 12) HMP Parkhurst.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only fitting I suppose if Sutcliffe's paintings come under the hammer.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very Scarce London Metropolitan Police Whistle

Victorian 1888 Hudson Made Police Whistle

This is the actual whistle used for the illustration on page 17 in the book "Collecting Police Whistles" mentioned below. A very early and very scarce call, you are unlikely to see another one - a lovely whistle for the discerning collector

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=395&item=3939041077&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
An interesting item I've been watching with some interest are the FIVE copies of The Illustrated Police News,the ones featuring the famous pictures etc etc.I have some doubts as to the authenticity of these items but they may be worth a look on ebay no.2281166559.Just had a look and they're up to £112.50
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Suzi

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'GREAT COCKNEY SONGS VOL. 1'
THE BALLAD OF JACK THE RIPPER,

COME OUTSIDE

CHAMPAGNE CHARLIE

FRIENDS AND NEIGHBOURS

THE HIGHT THE FLOOR FELL IN

A PICTURE OF YOU

TAVERN IN THE TOWN

THE WHELK SONG.

IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. 23 PAGES

songs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1457&item=3759744753&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE SECRETS OF SCOTLAND YARD
OLD TIME RADIO SHOWS
Contains 57 classic murder/mystery radio shows from 1957 based on true events from the archives of Scotland Yard

The episodes are :

Absent Minded Professor
Bank Of England Robbery
Battalier
Black Market Murder
Blodie Belgium
Bone From A Voice Box
Brothers Staunton
Buckets Of Blood
Burke And Hare
Captain X
Charles Piece
Counterfeiter
Dr Ruxton Ax Killer
Family Soliciter W Drop Out
Fence
Florence Maybrick
Frederick Stewart
General Charles Leward
George Smith
Great Gold Robbery
Greeneyed Monster
Henri Perot
Henry Fauntleroy
Hunted Hunter
Identifications
Jack The Ripper
Jim The Penman
Just A Matchstick And A Duster
Kindly Doctor
Lady In Distress
Lady Is A Crook
Lesson In Love
Liverpool Bank Fraud
Lucky Murderer
Mrs Voisson
Murder Without Motive
Murderers Letter
Music Murder And A Mackintosh
Neville Heath
Nurse Waddington
One Man Too Many
Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword
Perfect Detective
Pests
Poisoner
Reginald Sidney Buckfield
Robbery On The Railways
Robert Wood
Romantic Murderer
Ronald Vivian Light
Root Of All Evil Money
Scales Of Justice
Servant Problem
Smoke Clings To The Hair
Story Of Walter Miller
Theft Of The British Crown Jewels
Witchcraft Law Volume Flux

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41514&item=6934640504&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coronet Magazine Nov. 1956 Billie Holiday James Dean

This is a digest size magazine loaded with lots of great articles, features, and color and black and white photos.

Some of the features in this issue include:

Book condensation of "Lady Sings The Blues" by Billie Holiday with Wm. Duffy.
The Strange James Dean Death Cult by Herbert Mitgang.
Audrey Hepburn Goes Back To The Bar by Mark Nichols, photos by David Seymour.
A Stunning Explanation of the Jack the Ripper Riddle by Richard G. Hubler.
Arizona: America's New Mecca by Joseph Stocker.
And many more!

Magazine is in Excellent condition with minor spine and edge wear and tan pages.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=280&item=4500609105&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Description

Four postcards of ladies killed by Jack The Ripper, each cancelled on the anniversary of the murder. Historic Relics Postcards cancelled with National Postal Museum, London EC1 or London Chief Philatelic Counter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3501&item=5530985398&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Item Specifics - Antiquarian/Collectible Books
Binding: Hardcover Special Attributes: 1st Edition
Category: Law & Government Printing Year: 1891
Sub-Category: --

From beginning to end the proceedings are captured herein, exciting detail from the records and transcripts of the trial. So notorious and so controversial was the Maybrick Case that this publication was hoped to sate the public's desire for disclosure. This book is very scarce. I have searched high and low and cannot find another 1891 copy. Of further interest the controversy continues to this day because of the Jack the Ripper connection. It is believed that the deceased Mr. James Maybrick was The Ripper. This book is in great shape being a good solid reading copy though there is one fault of note: the title page has lost the topinch in a strip right across the top. There is some dingage of substance to the tips and some board is showing. There are scuffs rubs too. The gilt on the spine treatment is there but perhaps faded by a factor of 20%. None of this detracts from the content and this is an excellent, scarce and collectible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6935047846&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a London Guide book published by W.H. ALLEN & CO., Limited. I believe it to be dated 1894.

The guide book contains information on sites of interest in London, as well as full page advertisements for that period. In addition, there are a number of plates showing detailed maps for locations and streets in London.

To give you a feel for the advertisements, I've listed a few of them below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. GEORGES HALL, LANGHAM PLACE
Licenced by the Lord Chaimberlain to, and under the Management of Mr Alfred German Reed and Mr Corney Grain.
Mr and Mrs GERMAN REED'S Entertainment
Stalls, 5s and 3s Admission, 2s and 1s.
Private boxes, £1 IIs. 6d
Booking office open from 10 to 6

NEWMAN NEWMAN - Manufacturer of every article for the artist in water colours. The artist in oil colours. The photographic colourist. Of superior quality.
24 SOHO SQUARE, LONDON, W.

E. J. CHURCHILL - Practical Gun, Rifle and Cartridge Manufacturer.
8 Agar Street, Strand, London, W.C.

To give you a feel for the Plates, they include:
----------------------------------------------------------------

From London Bridge through the borough, to Newington Butts and St. George's Fields.

The City Road. Finsbury Circus to the "Angel," Islington.

From the Poultry to Bishopsgate street and to Whitechapel.

Tottenham Court Road and Hampsted Road, to Camden Town.

St. James's Street, and old and new Bond Streets.

All of the plates are detailed maps showing roads and buildings.

The London Guide is in good condition, however, it is missing the original front and reverse cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=211&item=6934322301&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A RARE FIND THIS 19thC BUTTON BADGE OF A BOeR WAR GENERAL & ONE OF THE HEAD OF POLICE IN THE HUNT FOR JACK THE RIPPER.

BOAR WAR BUTTON BADGE GEN. SIR CHAS WARREN. ( PHOTOGRAPIC LAPEL PINS) MADE BY THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG Co , IN NEWARK , NEW JERSEY U.S.A1896 WITH THE ORIGINAL MAKERS CICULAR PIECE OF PAPER.A WONDERFULL FIND.THE CONDITION IS VERY GOOD FOR IT'S AGE.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60604&item=6127857733&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fortean Times Feb 2002, #155. Main focus is on the identity of infamous serial killer Jack the Ripper, providing new claims & unusual suspects, plus the Patricia Cornwell theory. Articles on shapeshifting, Don Ecker (UFO, consipiracy) etc. Good used condition - spine is quite worn but covers intact, not mint but good reading copy. Email if you'd like more info. Will be sent well packed and cardboarded to protect

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72343&item=6934264016&rd=1

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a copy of that issue of fortean Times somewhere, umm wonder how much i can make on ebay!! ha ha!!

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PAPERBACK PUBLISHED IN 1988 CALLED "JACK THE RIPPER A BLOODY CENTENARY" 386 PAGES TELLING STORIES OF THE RIPPERS ANNIVERSARY,

BY SUSAN CASPER & GARDNER DOZOIS, BOOK IS IN VGC
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2240&item=4500644522&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DARK SIDE 10 : JACK THE RIPPER SPECIAL ISSUE!
The July 1991 issue of the long-running UK magazine of the macabre and fantastic.

Apart from the usual features (book, fanzine, film, multimedia and video reviews), this issue contains :

Features :

Hollywood's Gimmick movies - 6 page feature.

Jack the Ripper on film - 8 pages.

The connection between Jack the Ripper and the occult.

Clive Barker's Letter From America.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea - episode guide (part 2).

The Butcher of Whitechapel - a gruesome examination of the Ripper's techniques.

VG+++ condition.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1142&item=6934718467&rd=1

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris!
Thanks for the Cockney songs link!
Am on that! not that I need reminding and if anyone out bids me will put it down to the 'Oh God she doesnt need any more' faction!!!!

Cheers

Suzi

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi
Glad the link was useful and good luck with the bidding
Chris

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!!! Thanks to a great fun night last night have secured the song book!!!! Thanks Bob!!!!
Photocopies will be available ...beautifully presented of course at the conf!!!!!...verrrrrrrry reasonably priced of course!!!
Cheers!
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Further to all this.....type in www.abebooks.com
.....type in jack the ripper and work your way back from page 182 .....and DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to Paul for this info! God the Lottery Please!!!!!!!!!!!
xxxxxxxxx Suzi

Lindsey Millar
Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suze...

So glad you won your Cockney music book! Will expect facsimilies pronto! Along with pics of Pompey

Bestest, best friend!

Lyn

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All togevva nai!!!............

Soon as Ive got it will be on that copier BIG TIME fear not!!!

Suzi xx

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BILLINGSGATE FISH MARKET Antique Print 1886 LONDON
Page from an issue 1886

THE ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS

THESE WOOD ENGRAVINGS FROM SKETCHES, WOULD MAKE AN IDEAL GIFT FOR CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY

The actual date is printed on each page

This engraving is over 115 years old. And is not a modern copy

(Maybe Joe is in there somewhere!!!) Chris

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10170&item=3760475241&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me take this moment to say "MINE!"

LOL, thanks, Chris, I liked the print a lot and it had a Buy It Now price the same as the opening bid it wanted, so I grabbed it. I'm sure it'll be useful to illustrate some article at some point or another. Plus I collect old prints and books, and I had some money in PayPal all ready to spend... which is why I normally like to move that out to my checking account as soon as it gets there so I don't spend it right away.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that really was quick work!

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well done Dan - glad it went to a good home!
chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LONDON CITY SUBURBS

AS THEY ARE TO-DAY

BY

PERCY FITZGERALD

ILLUSTRATED BY W.LUKER, JR,

FROM ORIGINAL DRAWINGS

THE LEADENHALL PRESS, LONDON 1893 FIRST EDITION

Original cloth gilt on bevelled boards,top edge gilt, some wear to extremities, half an inch white mark on margin of rear cover ( remains of old damp mark), occasional light spotting. Overall a very good copy-tight and square-no loose pages. Tissue guard frontis

Over 300 illustrations specially printed in Paris by William Luker (1862-1934), many full page. 350 pages.

A richly illustrated tour of Victorian London's suburbs- the inner suburbs of Westminster, the northern suburbs of Marylebone, the northern heights of Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill, the outer northern and eastern suburbs of Barnet, Epping Forest, Whitechapel and Willesden, the southern suburbs of Clapham, Putney and Wimbledon, the river suburbs of Chelsea, Chiswick, Richmond andTwickenham.

To the contemporary eye, what impresses is the rural character of the suburbs in 1893-but their identity as "suburbs" is already marked.

Dedicated to "Her Majesty- the Queen-Empress"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79962&item=6935261136&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Graphic Weekly Newspaper

Dated
July 13th 1889

28 Pages of news, current affairs and illustrations (some pages are missing, what is listed is present)

Front Page Illustration The Health of the Shah.

Other illustrations as follows.

Full Page The State Visit of The Shah to the Empire Theatre.
Full Page The State Visit of The Shah, at the Royal Albert Hall.
Half Page The State Visit of The Shah,watching Japanese Acrobats
Half Page The State Visit of The Shah, visit to the Crystal Palace.
Full Page Whitechapel in Wales, how five medical students took a class of poor Whitechapel boys to Wales.

An illustrated article titled: Through London by Omnibus.

Plus more images of the Shah of Persia`s State visit.

(The year after Jack, to entrust a group of kids to a group of medical students...???)
Chris
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11101&item=6935216820&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YOU ARE BIDDING ON ....

Savage By Richard Laymon

Paperback 437 pages (September 16, 1993)
Publisher: Feature
ISBN: 0747241201
Category(ies): Fiction , Horror
BOOK CONDITION:

V.GOOD - READ JUST TWICE

Synopsis

Whitechapel, 1888; Jack the Ripper is committing his last known act of butchery in the hovel occupied by the luckless harlot Mary Kelly. And beneath the bed on which the fiend is cheerfully eviscerating his victim cowers a 15-year-old boy. This is just the start of an extraordinary adventure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1116&item=7932668149&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

INSIDE THE C.I.D.

by PETER BEVERIDGE

Published in the U.K as a First Edition Paperback by Pan Books in 1959. (With Photographs)

A used, but nice tight and clean paged books. The pages are starting to brown. The covers do have some very slight edgewear. A very good copy.

This is a story of Metropolitan Police Force - the exciting career of a man who started as a policeman in Whitechapel and who spent his last fifteen years as Chief of the C.I.D. A fascinating, compelling book which tells you how the CID works - and how a Scotland Yard man is made.

A nice true-crime collectors book..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2240&item=4501512362&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These rare volumes,if you can find them, command high prices. Not surprising when it's hard do justice to this wonderful compendium of middle-class Victorian Life. Bound 26 copies of The Graphic magazine. Literally thousands of illustrations and stories on Victorian life, travel, art, sport. Lillie Langtry advertising soap, life in the far flung colonies, a magnificent folded panorama of Brighton; prints of Chatsworth House, Cardinal Manning's funeral. a terrible illustration of a women's shelter in Whitechapel etc etc. Astonishing and valuable volume. Weeks of engrossing reading for the Victorian enthusiast. January to June 1892. Huge 12 x 16 ins. Internally very clean and tight. Binding is if a high quality but there are tears to the leather. Like I have, I'm sure you've bought books only to find that their descriptions were, shall we say, inaccurate. I do not describe books as being, for example, in 'good condition' unless they are, bindings in particular. I hope you can trust my descriptions. See my feedback. I am a private seller. From UK I can only accept cheques, postal orders etc. For overseas buyers I can accept Paypal (or other means whereby I obtain full funds net of bank charges). POSTAGE UK £ 8.96. INTL despatch not recommended due to huge weight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11101&item=6934773560&rd=1

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad ya got that Chris
BUT have some goodies coming my way!!!!!!!!!

Gosh wish I could afford the Wolf-----maybe tomorrow in the Lottery!!!!!

Dan! that was some fancy footwork!!!!!!!! Great one tho! get on that photocopier!..UI will if you will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzi xx

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the Cutbush enthusiasts!!

Kent Clocks and Clockmakers by Michael Pearson

Kent has a long history of clockmaking, with a clock being installed in Canterbury Cathedral as early as 1292. This book details Kent's early turret clocks, and the history of the county's most influential clockmakers. By the end of the seventeenth century Kent had a rapidly growing number of clockmakers, and by the eighteenth century a growing number of London-trained apprentices moved into the county. Though many Kent clocks have a style similar to those from London, a distinctive Kentish style developed, both for simple 'country' clocks and more particularly high-quality cases made in the east of the county with a distinctive Kentish cresting. There is a comprehensive list of over 1,200 clockmakers from the earliest times up to the nineteenth century, while an appendix gives extracts from local eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century newspapers relating to clocks and watches.
The author, Michael Pearson, is a dealer in early oak furniture and clocks in Canterbury, and has researched the history of the clockmakers of his native county for over twenty years.

Contents

Turret Clocks in Kent
Domestic Clockmaking in Kent
The Bakers of Maidstone & Town Malling
The Cutbush Family of Maidstone
Thomas Deale of Ashford
The Greenhill Family
Kent Clockmakers & Watchmakers
Clockmakers & Watchmakers in Early Kent Newspapers
Kent Clockmakers & Watchmakers Listed by Town
Bibliography
Index

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13853&item=2283627882&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

METROPOLITAN & DETECTIVE POLICE SCOTLAND YARD 1883
Rare Double Page from an issue of 1883

WOOD ENGRAVINGS FROM

WOULD MAKE AN IDEAL GIFT

This print is over 120 years old. And is not a modern copy

There is a fold which sometimes shows as a shadow on the image, this will not show when framed. Check the image for details SOME DOUBLE SPREADS HAVE BINDING HOLES .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10164&item=3760400739&rd=1

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3413
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Chris! I'll tell AP.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SCOTLAND YARD HUGE Hard Cover COFFEE TABLE PHOTO BOOK

Please see the photos below.

Title: The Official Encyclopedia of Scotland Yard

Type Of Book: hard cover

Dimensions: 9.5" by 11.5"

Number Of Pages: 300

Publication/Copyright Date: 1999

Number Of Photos: Absolutely PACKED with spectacular, (mostly vintage) photos on almost EVERY page in the book, including LOTS of large photos. Over 250 total photos.

Other Info:Anyone who has ever had an interest in crime this is the book for you. It is well written and thoroughly detailed with over 500 entries by the two foremost respected criminologists in the UK. It covers everything from the early years of crime detection including Jack the Ripper up until modern day times, and thoroughly covers everything in between. This book should be on every true crime buff's shelf, a fabulous reference book and interesting read.

Anyone interested in Scotland Yard would absolutely love this beautiful photo book, definitely a “Must Have” item.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=395&item=3939529949&rd=1

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SCOTLAND YARD POLICE CODE BOOK 1924
by Sir Howard Vincent, Commissioner for the Metropolis
This near-antique book is a Police Code book for the City of London and General Manual of the Criminal Law.
It begins with an inspirational quote for the officer from Field Marshal Earl Kitchener of Khartoum: " There is a great civilising power in the Policeman."

This copy belonged to a police officer, James R. Jones in the city of Westmount in the 1920s and 30s. He has signed the book, and folded into the book there is a letter to him from the Westmount city council in regard to his retirement pension in 1939, signed by a Mr. Bell of the council. (This will be included with the book.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6934627814&rd=1

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI, one of the other auctions listed above is a print by www.iln-prints.com (the company I just got the fish porters print from). You can go check out their web site to see the long list of prints they have. There are others in there I'm sure some people here might want too. There's a large full page portrait of Charles Warren on the cover of an 1886 Illustrated London News, for example. It might be worth looking through if you think you might be interested.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CRIMINAL MUSEUM METROPOLITAN POLICE SCOTLAND YARD 1883
Page from an issue 1883

THESE WOOD ENGRAVINGS FROM SKETCHES, WOULD MAKE AN IDEAL GIFT FOR CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY

This engraving is over 120 years old. And is not a modern copy

THESE IMAGES ARE scanned at low resolution for quick uploading and are much better than the scanned image.

Size of print is approx 14" x 9.1/2" if it is shown as whole page, or prorata.

Approx. Page size = 16" high x 11" wide

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10170&item=3760395621&rd=1

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris... and Robert, regarding the Kent Clockmakers book up for grabs on E-bay.
But as sod's law would have it, I already bought the volume new for about forty quid... now I could probably get it for a quid!
And what's more it had no useful information in it anyway!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!
Check out the 1888 Time with the report of Annies murder!!!! sensational!!!!!!!! Just going to recheck now
Suzi

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi
That report can be read in the Press Reports section at
http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/times/18880910.html

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris!!!!!!
Thanks for that but MAY be nice to have it dunno tho am back on the trail of that whistle tho! Hope my out bidder isnt on this!!!!!!
Suzi

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the rarest of all the books on Jack The Ripper.... William Stewart's 1939 title, "Jack The Ripper: A New Theory"... THIS IS A PHOTOCOPIED A4 SPIRAL BOUND VERSION!!!!! The original of this is valued at £500+, and is extremely scarce, so much so most Ripperologists have never even seen a copy. I can assure you this is the ONLY copy in my posession. I will NOT be listing it again, after this has sold, as I do not have copying facilities, but if you have ..... this book is out of copyright !!! All serious Ripperologists should be going for this item!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2240&item=4503328155&rd=1

Paul Edmond-Barnes Barnsey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anybody check the authenticity of the the 5 newspapers offered on Ebay, depicting the Jack the Ripper murders???
The final price was £222.
Thanks for any ifo you can provide!

Paul Edmond-Barnes Barnsey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone find out if the 5 copies of the Newspaper that sold on ebay for £222 are authentic???
I considered buying them my self but had concerns that they could be reproduction.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.