Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

George Morris Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Notable Persons » George Morris « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This could well be George :

"TIMES" Sept 12 1888

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice find, Robert. I think you're right that this probably is George Morris. A little uptight, isn't he?

Thanks,
Dave

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 973
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Dave

Also interesting to read about Sir Andrew Lusk. Wonder if he was a relation of George Aikin Lusk? laugh

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on October 02, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3139
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave and Chris

Morris doesn't seem to have liked Birke much!

I only wish the two Lusks were related. Apart from 1888, there doesn't seem to be much about our Lusk at all.

Robert

Ghost
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Lusk Sir - I send you half the box I took from Mitre Square, praserved it for you, t'other piece I used as packing materials? Hello fellow Ripperologists - this is my first entry. My name is Philip and I am behind the Conference being held in London on November 13th (see Casebook homepage). I'm also a Ripper guide (oh you poor folks abroad - I see the murder sites 3 times every week!) and I can't join this chatroom properly. What do I do?! I do the join chat room link but it doesn't seem to configure or let me have my real name! What is going on?!

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

This must be the article Paul Begg quotes in is book isnt it?

If so, many thanks. Its nice to read the sources.

Cheers mate,

Monty
:-)
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice- Jack the Ripper

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3154
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help, Monty! I have the "Uncensored Facts" but I'm sure it isn't in there. I have "JTR, the Definitive History" from the library but I haven't read it yet. It doesn't seem to be in there though. Whereabouts did you see it?

Robert

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

It's in Begg's latest: JTR: The Facts.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Dan has beaten me to the punch...so to speak.

Monty
:-)

PS a little add on....from the horses mouth so to speak...again !

Paul has passed this on which I believe is his source for this story

The Star, 12 September 1888:
Pleaded Hard for a Harsh Judgement.

Alexander Birke, Great Garden-chambers, Whitechapel, shoemaker, was charged at the Guildhall with stealing from an enclosure in front of 4, Mitre-street, Aldgate, an empty wooden case, the property of Messrs. Kearley and Tonge. Evidence was given by a person named Morris. The alderman said an old, empty champagne case was worthless, or nearly so; moreover, there was no actual proof that the accused took it. Witness: But the value of the thing has nothing to do with it. I have known a person convicted for stealing a turnip. Sir Andrew Lusk: Probably, but I never did convict for stealing a turnip, and I never will. - Witness: The prisoner has been convicted before. - Harris (the gaoler): I do not know him. - The Alderman: The man is not known. No proof has been given that he stole the box, and if he had the value is nothing. He has been in prison all night, and I now discharge him. - The decision was received with applause.

Paul also states that it's almost the same report as Mr Linford cited in The Times, which probably means it was received from a news agency.

(Message edited by monty on October 06, 2004)
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice- Jack the Ripper

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3157
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks folks.

Phillip, welcome to the Boards. I've never been in the chat room, but if you ask Stephen he might be able to advise you.

Robert

Sian Evans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there is more to the Lusk thing than most ripperologists give it credit for..

The fact that JTR wrote to Lusk in the first place suggests that he either knew him or had something to prove to him directly.

Maybe he was one of the 20 workers underneath Lusk?

There are 2 paintings by Walter Sickert which depict women on stage which I saw in Sydney art gallery the other day. I dont think that Sickert was the Ripper but I DO think that he knew something about the murders...

The funny thing was finding out that Mr Lusk was a builder of music halls!! Look at these paintings of music halls by Sickert... The one with the woman in the yellow dress was painted in 1887. The other one was painted in 1888. Look at the difference. There is a lot of detail which cannot be clearly seen in the photo but in the 1888 one, there are faint images of a woman's torso in the sides of the stage. Also, notice the screaming motif at the top of the stage. The 1888 one also uses dark blood red frequently.. the pose of her arms is just like Mary Kelly's deathbed pose. Notice how scared the girl on stage looks in comparison to the 1887 one. Let me know what you think!!

1887 painting by Walter Sickert1888 painting by Walter Sickert

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sian,

You've got the wrong thread. Andrew Lusk was not George Lusk. And it's not an established fact that the Ripper wrote to George Lusk anyway.

And I don't know what you are trying to say here. Because Sickert painted music halls and because you think you see bloody torsos that means... what, exactly? I mean, other than that you have a morbid and overactive imagination?

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unh???? huh

Sian, I am also a bit puzzled by your post. Dan is correct that, as far as we know, Sir Andrew Lusk has no connection to George Lusk, the builder and head of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee who received the 16 October 1888 letter with a half a kidney.

Nonetheless, I fail to see any relevance in the fact that builder Lusk worked on music halls and even less of a message in these paintings. By "seeing" things in Sickert's paintings or indeed interpreting any artist's work in such a way, I think you risk going down the same long slippery slope as Ms. Cornwell. Frankly I don't see what you mean about the 1888 painting in terms of there being women's torsos visible. Really?

In any case, as I indicate, we can see what we want in artwork, if we must. However, would it really have any relevance to the murders?

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Sian Evans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes - the painting is quite morbid. I don't think it is my imagination either - my boyfriend was with me at the time and he agreed - and he isn't very easily led! It is a shame that you cant see it up close because it has plenty of fine detail.

I thought the previous post was about George Lusk, and not Andrew - oops!

The main thing is that I think the connection to George Lusk, the fact that JTR wrote to him of all people, is extremely important. Why Lusk? It was like he had a point to prove to him, like he knew him personally or something. It seems strange to me that authors etc. never seem to look into this very much.

Sian Evans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I am confused! :-) I'm no expert..

But the biggest point which i wanted to bring out was the fact that no one (none of the books i've ever read on the subject) ever seems to say anything more than JTR wrote to Lusk. They never try to work out why it was Lusk of all people that he would write to. What was so special about Lusk????

And i also wanted to share those paintings because they are really good! I think Patricia Cornwell is barking up the wrong tree when she says she thinks Sickert was the ripper. but i do think that he has been very inspired by the whole thing and may have known something about the ripper.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.