Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Book - 'Cities of Destiny' pictures... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Book - 'Cities of Destiny' pictures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Candy Morgan
Police Constable
Username: Candy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all!

I've found a wonderful book called 'Cities of Destity', which has a section in it on Victorian London. I've scanned most of the pics that have any bearing on Whitechapel or locations mentioned in old tests and will post them or send them if there's any interest. Stephen, please get back to me regarding copywright considerations, if you will.

This is a pic of Billingsgate Fishmarket, c 1900.
Billingsgate

Could that gentleman in the bowler, right of center facing away from the camera, be our Joe? ;)
And are these white coats covered in blood? Hmmm... looks like it. I always read that there would be people wandering the east end reeking with offal but seeing the pic lets me know just how common a sight it was.
Love the ornate ironwork above the doors as well. It must have been lovely - so unlike the industrial purposeful designs we have today.

There was also these two pics - the top one shows Salvation Army workers handing out vouchers for breakfasts, as in J. London's 'People of the Abyss'. The caption says this photo was taken underneath 'London Bridge'. Not sure if they mean A bridge or THE Bridge. The bottom one is street urchins - note the lack of shoes.
London poor

The next is an engraving of Capt. Booth's rescue hall.
Salvation Army

The text says this flower seller was snapped in Trafalgar Square. Something about her gaze makes me think she probably "did the best that she could", as the watchman said...
Flower seller

And finally the gentility, en promenade in Hyde Park. I just can't imagine wearing all that fabric for a brisk afternoon stroll, considering most of the women have at least 2 petticoats, a corset, stays, stockings, and some of them are also wearing wraps.
But I want the gentleman's jacket. Wow! That's spiffy!
Out for a stroll

Ok, Stephen, if this violates copywright, delete it. If anyone wants the larger scans, let me know. If anyone wants the text accompanying the pics, again, let me know. I was trying not to completely kill the bandwidth.

Take care all!
~~Candy
"Look! A NUN!"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great photos Candy.The people look so relaxed in them.Most of the big London markets have really grand ironwork-Leadenhall"s is quite spectacular
and even Covent Garden which is no longer a market as such has this ironwork feature that gives it its particular character.
Cheers Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.