Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 13, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » Life after Baltimore! Where in U.K in 2005? » Archive through January 13, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you taking the p*ss Robert? Actually I perfectly well understand the problems that people here have written about and am not that bothered whether it might be in Dublin,Bournmouth
or wherever its just that all the places we discuss on the boards are all so close to one another and so on[actually there IS a delightful teashop in Brushfield Street-next to the original paper bag shop-I had tea there with my daughter only last week. Best Natalie.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

I don't mind where it is. I suppose you have to look at where the previous conferences have been held, so that you get some variety. Has London not had one yet?

Robert

Natalie Severn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert I really dont know the answer to that-seems odd if there hasnt been one in London.But yes you have a good point about variety.Are you going to Baltimore?
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

No, I don't think I'll be going to Baltimore.

It's a difficult choice. Liverpool's been done. Then after London, Dorset has the Druitt and Abberline links. Ireland and Wales have the Kelly connection. Brighton has the Seaside Home....

In the last analysis though I feel it should be somewhere the Americans can get to reasonably easily, given that they'll already have crossed the Atlantic.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert-Bless'em 'eh a quick trip over the Atlantic and then.. Oh come on chaps!!!!!!!!!lets try Brighton! (nice and easy to get people and books and things to!!)
Richard-Great tips!!!!
Cheers
suzi

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As several of me do plan to attend the 2005 event we would strongly back Brighton as the ideal choice. It is a very Victorian sort of place with much atmosphere and merit.
For the commuters from over the pond it is a simple half hour rail journey, and probably easier than attempting to navigate from Heathrow to central London, plus they do have the option of flying into Gatwick which is literally just up the road.
We have to fly in as well, but Brighton is still our nomination.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I agree with Brighton being a ideal choice, somewhat bias, as I live a short train journey away, It is somewhat victorian, also as stated before, Clarendon Villas was based in nearby Hove.
It is only a short journey from Gatwick, and has a vast amount of good quality hotels available.
My choice.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,A.P. et al
Brighton is sounding good isn't it!!..We could all show the Metropole (SP!) a good time!
A.P.-I love the idea of several of YOU attending the 2005 event!!..can't wait!!
Bob- Get those books packed up 'eh!!
Cheers
Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously one AP stays at Brighton, one stays at Hove, and the third AP stays at the bar.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
One little A.P. stayed in Brighton
One little A.P stayed in Hove,
One little A.P. ate fried Kidne
And the other little A.P. went...
Catch me when
you can..
P'raps this should be on the J.T.R Poetry thread!!
Tee hee
Suzi

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 639
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

I should just like to point out that I was called to the bar...
and have stayed there ever since.

Suzi Hanney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P.
"With an appetite fresh and hearty" I trust!
Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say fish & ships beats fried kidney any day. I always though JtR had a strange taste in cousine...

For us who come from abroad I'd say London or possibly Brighton would be the best choice. If it becomes to expensive and complicated as far as additional communications are concerned, it would at least limit my possibilities for getting over there.

Too bad one has to wait until 2005, though... Bit of a drag. Why isn't there a UK conference this year -- is it because it is held one in US?

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on January 11, 2004)
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
I imagine they're only every two years over here is because of the U.S ones or it could be to give us all a chance for our livers to recover!!
Cheers

Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 972
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now, that's a thought...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
A thought based on VERY intensive research I may add!!
Cheers

Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can imagine, Suzi... :-)

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Glenn and Suzi:

Yes, Glenn and Suzi, as you assumed, it was decided to hold the U.S. and British Ripper events in alternate years so they did not clash. For those of us who would like to attend both events, even a once-yearly event held in the alternate countries is a bit of a strain on resources sad but attendance is well worth it for all of the benefits of camaraderie and learning new things about the case, the privilege of meeting esteemed authors, etc.

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn
I assure you ,you cant!!
Christopher- Definately a strain on the old filthy lucre!! and that's just the bar bills!! Looking forward to 2005 tho!!
Cheers
Suzi

Adam Wood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Some interesting venues being suggested - keep them coming!

I can categorically state, however, that the Conference will not be held in London. Yes it seems the logical location, but revenue lost from London-based delegates not staying at the Conference hotel would make it very difficult to balance the books.

Neither will we be returning to Bournemouth, great as it was, as we're looking to continue our tour of the country.

The venue is yet to be decided. Potential delegates who might be put off by travel costs from London should be reassured that I'm in negotiations with sponsors that will result in a minimal charge to delegates, in the same way that we provided a return coach from London to Bournemouth and return train tickets to Liverpool.

Finally, the Conference is likely to be held on the weekend of 30 September - 3 October 2005.

Firm details on date and venue will be announced in the March issue of Ripperologist.

Adam
UK 2005 Conference Organiser

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Adam

Well it seems from your post stating "Firm details on date and venue will be announced in the March issue of Ripperologist" that a venue might already be decided upon. wink Let me say that I have been in contact with Andy and Sue Parlour who suggested Cambridge as a nice possibility, with its associations with Eddy and J. K. Stephen. Cambridge is of course a pleasant university town with lots of history, convenient to the metropolis and for us foreign travelers arriving at the London airports. Also, might I add, if the conference were to be held in Cambridge, perhaps there might be a possibility, with a bit of luck, of cajoling a certain retired policeman and well-published Ripper author who lives nearby in Cambridgeshire to make an appearance? I refer naturally to Stewart P. Evans, whose partner Rosie mounted the first UK Ripper conventions in Norwich. It would certainly be a treat to have Stewart and Rosie with us at the next UK convention.

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on January 13, 2004)

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I absolutely agree with you, Chris -- that is, if Stewart's up to it. I think it would be a nice feature indeed.

I still think it's a drag to have to wait until 2005, but I guess I can understand the arguments for an alternating system, as you describe, as well. But for those of us who don't have the financial means to attend the ones in US, it is indeed unfortunate. Well well...

Cambridge I think is an excellent suggestion. It is only a one hour train ride from London, and it has an atmospheric and cultural setting that would be quite appealing. If the conference is not to be held in London, it would at least be convenient if it was given a location quite near by, like Cambridge, Bath or Brighton, and not just for money reasons but also for not having to waste too much time on travels (for those of us who come from abroad). That is my tip.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't mind Cambridge either, as I can still get my canoe up the river.

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
Cambridge>????????? bit of a bugger to get to..easy if coming from abroad it seems!! My vote...(Who cares about that!!) still goes to Brighton/Cardiff or I suppose there's always somewhere like Brum(!)
Well A>P>???
cheers
Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,

How is it a bugger to get to Cambridge from London? I thought there was a straight connection, since it lies quite near London -- just to the north -- on the map. Just asking.

I know one has to take a long way round to other towns in Cambridgeshire, like changing trains in King's Flynn, but I though Cambridge in itself would be an easy reach...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.