Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

BBC Script on eBay Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » BBC Script on eBay « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 495
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope this post does not offend anyone. This is not meant to be an advertisement and I won't be posting any more like it, but I just thought perhaps someone here might be interested.

If anyone is interested I have the BBC script "Who Was Jack the Ripper?" up for bid on eBay (item number 4202703070) at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4202703070&category=29719&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

This is a script of a BBC Four Radio programme broadcast on 1 June 1972. It is presented as a radio play of sorts, with dialog and narration. Most of the content is taken from coroners' inquests and some seems to be from newspaper articles and other sources. Interesting discussion on Clarence, though he is not endorsed by the production as a suspect. 37 pages.

Only 100 of these scripts were published, of which this is #67. This more of a collector's item than a reference source. Opening bid is approximately what I paid for it. If it sells for more than that I will contribute a portion of the "profit" to the Casebook.

Andy S.

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For anyone interested in this item, please be aware that it is not one of the original 100 copies. Unfortunately, No. 67 has been reprinted. It is impossible to know how many No. 67's are floating around. It is still a scarce item. But I just wanted to make sure people are aware of exactly what they are bidding on in this particular instance.

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

If that is the case, it's news to me. The number "67" appears to be hand-written on the title facing page, which leads me to assume it is an original but I cannot guarantee that. As a precaution, I have removed the "1st edition" notation from the eBay listing.

The description I have written, I have written in good faith and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. The title facing page contains this sentence "Only 100 of these scripts were published, of which this is #67." (with the number 67 written by hand). If this facing page is in fact a re-print, the misrepresentation is on the part of the reprinter.

At any rate, as Robert indicates, it is still a rare find.

Andy S.

(Message edited by aspallek on April 09, 2004)

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Andy,
Good on you for offering to contribute part of any excess takings to Casebook.
I would love to know if scripts of Farson's old TV programmes exist (from 1959) I think his was ITV.
Regarding your precious script above the use of the symbol "#67" sounds very Un- BBC. More American don't you think?

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 500
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

Sorry for the confusion. The # sign was my abbreviation. The booklet actually has the word "Number" spelled out.

I'm really just trying to get my investment back out of this script, since I am more of a researcher than a collector and this is a collector's item.

Andy S.

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know you are selling it honestly, Andrew, and I am very sorry for having to bring it up, especially since you will contributing the surplus to the Casebook, which is a most worthy endowment.

I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to sabotage your auction. I find your starting price very reasonable, and I encourage people to bid on this scarce item. A genuine copy can cost you $200, when one becomes available.

I also have a No. 67 copy (handritten on the title facing page) Though I bought it originally knowing what it was, having been alerted to the questionable copy by Ross Strachan. I am sure that whoever reprinted No. 67 did so limitedly; otherwise they could not be sold.

All the best,

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.