Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Family stories about Jack... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Family stories about Jack... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am interested in anyone who knows of stories within their family about Jack - not necessarily the "my grandfather was JTR" variety. the oral traditions about Jack can be interesting in thir own right.
My own grandmother (born 1893) really started my interest years ago with two stories.
1) When she was very young and kids used to play outside much more than they do know, if it was getting dark and she was slow in coming in when called her mother would use Jack as a bogeyman, saying "If you don't come in, Jack the Ripper will get you."
2) One that interested me was that during the First World War she lived in a country area of Surrey where there were areas of woodland. Apparently an old tramp, known only by the name of "Billy Can" set up home in these woods and the story became current locally that he was Jack! This was, apparently, taken very seriously and feelings were running very high until the old man moved on.

Any other reminiscences gratefully read!

(Message edited by Chris on August 08, 2005)

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the very first Jack the Ripper talk I gave I was approached afterwards by a very old lady.

She told me that her parents had lived in Whitechapel at the time of the murders and her mother always told her that when she and her bigger sister went out she was always put on the inside of the pavement in case Jack the Ripper grabbed her!

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Shades of Chris here, My late grandmother born 1880 remembered being called in from outside with calls of the london bogeyman .
It goes to show how these murders captured the imagination of the public especially in the locality of Whitechapel.
It is because of this anxiety that proberly a lot of potential witnesses never came forward for fear of the killer, one of the reasons why i tend to believe a lot of the documented statements made from people like Hutchinson/maxwell/schwartz etc who disregarded the fear factor which would have been surely present.
Regards Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4751
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My grandmother too, who was brought up in the Guildford area, was given warnings about JTR.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for these guys
Seems that Jack was used as general bogeyman for some years after the murders!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.