Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Is it abnormal to be intrested in mur... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Is it abnormal to be intrested in murder in your teens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Buzz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering what sort of age range there is on this site (no offense intended- 'cos people sometimes take offense at me asking their ages! *Shrug*)
People think I'm wierd for being fascinated with this stuff at my age!

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it all hinges on what form the fascination takes. If the thought of someone being brutally murdered and mutilated makes you giggle, then yes -- I would say you have a problem and your interest in this site is to say the least unwholesome.
On the other hand, if you love a good puzzle, love playing armchair detective, love trying to figure out who done it, then I don't think thats harmful.
I have only read one Ripper book I disliked and my dislike had nothing to do with the quality of the book. The subject of this book was an analysis of the Rippers mind set and thinking done by a psychologist or psychiatrist, I dont remember which. It was really depressing to wallow in all that hate and aggression and violence. I wouldnt read that one again.
I think too that a problem solving orientation may even be motivated by a desire for belated justice for the victims. It would be satisfying to have this fiend labelled.
Having said all that, if the site bothers you there is no shame in quitting. If you have not yet looked at the crime scene photographs of Mary Kelly or the morgue photos of the others, consider carefully before taking that plunge. Remember Pandoras box. Once those images are in your mind they will not go away.
I think there is a little Ripper in all of us. Most of us succeed in repressing our baser instincts and put up a front of decency for others but we all have a dark side. Maybe at some level we're trying to find and extinguish our own internal Ripper.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 888
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
There is nothing shameful, or weird about being intrested in crimes of murder, the majority of the population, reads newspapers about crimes of rape, or extreme violence, a lot of people watch the tv programme Crimewatch, there is a detective mind in a huge majority of people,
I started my intrest at the age of 8years, reading about the huge impact Ruth Ellis had on the nation, my late father owned a newsagents at the time, and I was a avid reader even at that tender age,
In my late teens, i was regulaly patroling Whitechapel at nights, seeking the atmosphere[ which i got in abundance].
So for all you young followers of the casebook, fear not a good healthy intrest in History,which contains violence, is normal after all the recent memorials of D.Day 1944 was extremely violent, and the victims of mutalation were vast.
Richard.

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Next week, the National History Day competition will take place in Maryland. This year's theme is "Exploration, Encounter, Exchange in History." One contestant, a twelve year old girl from California, decided to make a ten minute documentary about Jack the Ripper, and she has apparently been pain-staking in creating it, putting in some 3000 hours of editing time. It sounds like the student, Patricia Sanchez, has focused on the criminal profiling aspect, and features commentary by experts.

From the article, "She said she just wanted to do something "cool" that differed from a typical display board project to impress her classmates."

This sounds like an ambitious and unusual project for a young person to make. I'd love to see this documentary and hope it does well at the competition.

The full article can be found here Norco seventh-grader. Requires registration involving personal information.

Dave

Buzz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana: Yeah- it's definatly the phycological side I like not the actual brutality! The morgue photos are really interesting, but you're right- they do stick with you. We were given them in my GCSE histroy class for our coursework, and they did make most feel queesy!

Thanks for the reasurance that there are are young people like myself! I'd really like to see the girls documentary. A child view...

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzz........................ Dont worry!!! there are far worse things on the tele!!!Prime Suspect etc! but they are no way as interesting as this case! I take it this is a Yr 10 project......watch out.... the Source photos are a bit odd!..The map is useless look at the A-Z for a much better one! and the Source J shows poor old Annie lying in the wrong place1 All I would say is research well !!! Anyone on these boards will help you I'm sure!!! Good luck!
Good Luck Buzz!
Suzi

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, Buzz, I am far more worried about the teens who love shows like The Swan and For Love Or Money than those who are interested in historical crime cases.

-K

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzz,

I was interested in true crime at a very early age. I played a child murder victim at the age of 7 for a Television Documentary. I was hooked at that tender age!

Mikey

Jack le Mietitore
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzz,

Nha, it's compleatly normal.

-Jack the Reaper

Buzz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi- it was my project in Yr 10 yeah. Thanks to this lovely site I managed an A on it- hope my actual GCSEs this time reflect that. (Exam on Tues ARGH!)

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would just like to add that much of the early research that I carried out on the victims was done when I was 18 and 19. And that I learnt more about Victorian history and Human Biology studying Jack the Ripper than I ever did at school.
I would suggest though that it's probably ok for schools to study it as a part of a history project. But I wouldn't think it was a good idea for kids to get interested in it more than that. Best to stick to Pop music, sport and stuff.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know I think here is the wrong place to ask.
After all several of us (inc my self) were interested form our teens!

cheers
Jennifer

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BUZZ!!!
How did the exam go???Its Saturday now!!! go on tell us!!! what were the questions etc etc!!
Hope you did ok.......sure you will!!!!
Why dont you register?
Look forward to chatting later
Suzi

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Buzz,

I echo Neal's statement above, most of my research on JtR started when I was about 19. I am a trained teacher and I hated history at school, now I watch more documentaries on TV than anything else. I can also say that most people don't give teenagers the credit they deserve for being able to reason and think clearly for themseleves. You're closer to that age now than I am but I'm sure you would agree that a fifteen year old who commits a crime generally knows that what they have done is wrong. If unsolved crime or murder gets you interested in researching history then I say go for it! And if you haven't seen it watch Oliver Stone's JFK, another unsolved which is compelling viewing.
Scotty.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I've always been interested in history, and murder and crime of course are part of history. A significant and bloody part of it.

I can remember when I was a child in Liverpool I inherited from an elderly aunt who had been a child in Gateshead, a collection of old volumes of a Victorian history that chronicled events in Newcastle and district from early times to the modernday. Included were bloody events such as murders, one being in a shop where the shopkeeper was battered with a fire iron to the extent that his brain extruded. The volume contained woodblock engravings of the murder weapon and a plan of the shop. I was fascinated and later wrote a short story for English class based on the crime, setting it in a fish and chip shop. I jokingly called the story, "Assault and Battery." laugh

Later on, still in my teens, I saw the British television series "The Other Mr. Churchill" on gunsmith Robert Churchill, I think hosted by MacDonald Hastings, which traced the gun expert's involvement in gun crimes of the first half of the twentieth century. Included was the haunting murder of P.C. Gutteridge in which the murderers shot out the constable's eyes in the belief that the victim's retinas might hold the image of the killer(s) (vide the supposed attempt to photograph Mary Jane Kelly's eyes).

Soon thereafter, while working at a summer job at the Liverpool docks, I came across Brown and Tullett's fine biography of pathologist Sir Bernard Spilsbury, who worked with Robert Churchill as well as on the Crippen case and other famous investigations. I was hooked!

So as you might tell, I think an early interest in crime and bloody murder is natural to any enquiring and sentient adolescent. Note I do say adolescent, not a pre-adolescent. . . that might be stretching things.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Buzz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pre-adolecence would be creepy. Probably to be expected though with recent news.

Suzi- the exam went fine! All about transport (Snore) and Medical history (which is so bloody it's unbeliavable!). Hope I've done ok. *Fingers crossed.*

QUOTE- I was fascinated and later wrote a short story for English class based on the crime, setting it in a fish and chip shop. I jokingly called the story, "Assault and Battery."

You were a strange child!

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 871
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzz-
Hope you've recovered from the exam horrors!! i THINK YOU SHOULD REGISTER HERE ON THE BOARDS
Most of us her are still going through all the horrors(!) of adolescence in much later years!!! It never goes away!!!...at least I'm honest..but then I did teach Art in a Secondary School for 24 yrs!!!....that has me labelled as a nutter if nothing else does!!(and I still cant spell adolescence!)
Best
Suzi

Buzz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey- there's nothing cooler than a crazed art teacher! (Says the girl who wants to be an english teacher!)
I'm finished with exams, so I can concentrate on the important stuff of life now- like registering, if I ever get around to it!

Morticia Addams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been interested in the Ripper case since I first heard of it, at age twelve. Before that, I had always been, and still am, a sucker for a good horror story, thriller or ghost story. Serial killings, murder and forensic science are subjects that still gets me going. At 32, some people might find that immature, but I've encountered enough like-minded to make me feel comfortable in my ghoulishness.

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Buzz!!! go for it then girl!!!!
Mind you I wouldnt want to be teaching now! Still in schools tho as design advisor....easy peasy and no teaching related stuff!!!!
Morticia as one who's 53 going on 14 I appreciate what you're saying!!!!!!!! Thats the little art teacher who dammit never ever goes away!
Also if you're as bad as the rest of us get to Brighton 2005!!!!!! you'll be in good company!
Cheers
Suzi x

Morticia Addams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Suzi, for the invitation. I'll do my best to be there./M

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 943
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morticia!

Then register then girl!!!!!

Buzz- Let us know the results eh!!!

Suzi

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's ok to be interested in murder cases for the right reasons, i have been interested in murder from my early teens. As in the case of serial killers they are very very dangerous people, it's good to know that we have the good and the brave to venture out, actually track down and bring to justice these type of monsters in the name of the protection of the public/humanity. I have never forgotten the horrific pictures of victims they stay with you for good, i feel so sorry for all the police officers (and civilians who find dead bodies) who have to actually deal with this scene live, for the officers that also have to be present at the morgue with the pathologist doing his/her job, not only the sight but the smell too. When i first looked at photos of mutilated victims i wanted to faint, but the more you see you do become a little hardened to it, however you still get caught out and feel a bit queesy after seeing loads of photos and reading about details etc, so go careful now. I know this i would never ever want to be at an actual crime scene with a mutilated victim pronounced life expired, i would throw up bucket fulls, pass out and i'd be lucky if i came to within the week.....PASS..
i'll just stick to paperwork and photo's thankyou.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.