return to normal view
Morning Advertiser (London)
18 December 1888


Sir E. LECHMERE asked the Home Secretary whether he had ascertained the accuracy of paragraphs relating to the alleged proceedings of Berry, the hangman, at Kidderminster, subsequently to the execution of a man at Worcester, such paragraphs describing Berry as "having visited several public-houses, made a speech to a large number of persons, held quite a levee at one at one of the public-houses, and freely distributed cards bearing his name as public executioner."

Mr. MATTHEWS stated that Berry had been communicated with by the high sheriff in reference to his alleged proceedings as stated in the question. The high sheriff had informed Berry that the conduct ascribed to him amounted to a breach of the conditions under which he held office. Those conditions were that prior to an execution he should not go to any place of public entertainment, and that as soon as his services were no longer required he should proceed from the gaol to the railway station in a cab accompanied by a warder. The high sheriff had promised to send to the Home Office a copy of Berry's reply when he received it.


The Duchess of Teck opened, in the Polar Townhall yesterday afternoon, a bazaar on behalf of The St. Saviour's Day Schools and the charities of the parish. There were eleven stalls, all were filled with articles of an attractive and useful character. The streets through which her Royal Highness passed were gaily decorated with flags and banners, and in front of the Townhall a number of Dr. Barnardo's boys formed a guard of honour. Her Royal Highness, who was accompanied by Princess Victoria, the Princes Francis and Alexander, on arriving were received by the Rev. Vivian and Mrs. Skrine, the Dowager Lady Milbanke, Mr. Sydney Buxton, M. P. , and Mrs. Buxton, Major Welby, Mrs. Selwyn, Mrs. Mullins, and the Rev. T. W. Nowell, rector of Poplar. Her Royal Highness, after formally declaring the bazaar open, was presented with a bouquet by Master Charles S. Buxton. The Princess was then conducted to the Vicarage stall, and assisted the Dowager Lady Milbanke, Mrs. Vivian Skrine, and the Misses Lathom in disposing of the articles. The bazaar will remain open until to-morrow evening.

THREATENING LETTERS BY A GIRL. - Before the Torquay magistrates yesterday, Charlotte Higgins, 14, domestic servant, was charged with writing threatening letters to her master, the Rev. Samuel Harvey, a retired clergyman. The letters, which were couched in disgusting language, purported to come from the Whitechapel murderer, and threatened to burn the house down and murder its inmates. The police had protected the house. The magistrates said the letters were horrible, and they sentenced Higgins to three weeks' imprisonment and three years in a reformatory.


John Jones, 58, wheelwright, who said he had no home, was charged before Mr. Montagu Williams, with having attempted to commit suicide by cutting his throat with a knife in the street. - Police-constable Smart, 165 H, said that about ten o'clock on the night of the 20th November he found the prisoner leaning against some railings in Freeman-street, Spitalfields, and saw he was bleeding from two wounds in the throat, a knife being on the ground. The witness asked the prisoner what was the matter, and the accused replied that he had stabbed himself in the throat, as he was tired of his life. The prisoner had to be removed to the London Hospital, where he had ever since remained. - The prisoner was remanded for the attendance of the house surgeon of the hospital.