Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through September 09, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » JtR Poetry » Archive through September 09, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Chris, I enjoyed that also.
Very valid and as Robert said full of echoes.
Liverpool is a rum old place.
One ex-scouser who lives on the same island as me has called his house 'Sunnypool'.
I like that.
It is interesting to note the different directions in which the whimsical side of the Jack story doth take us.
Part of my entire wild theory is that there are always two influences pulling at us when we study a subject like this, one is the logical and rational side of our brain box, the other is the dreamy creamy side of the universe, our creative soul, and I still stand by my original statement that Jack will be found through creativity rather than logic or the keen criminal mind.
The criminal mind investigates motive whilst the creative mind examines influence, and this is all about influence... and art.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Colony Revisited Free

I am constantly drawn to an incident which occurred during the late Victorian period that I believe gives us a useful insight into the type of signals that Jack may have been listening to.
This was the attack in broad daylight on Jane Shore at a fairground where she was beaten and then raped by a group of men whilst the onlookers - who included women and children - stood around them and encouraged the men with applause, catcalls and whistles.
This incident has long baffled me, and I have always felt it to be an arrow into the heart of the universe in 1888.
The incident has no rationality or logic - in our time slice anyway - for I don’t believe any of us would be willing to stand by and watch a young lady be brutally beaten and raped by a gang of men in a public place. Not only willing but then clap the bastards on.
Something is missing here, and I believe what is missing is our misunderstanding of the signals the colony was generating at that time.
We have attempted to apply logic, law and rationality to such an act when perhaps we should have applied the creative spirit of the colony in the awesome production of such a disgusting piece of art.
At exactly the same time as Vincent was cutting off his ear and producing sunflowers and corn fields that could swirl like the sun, Jane Shore was being beaten and raped, and Jack the Lad was cutting of whore’s ears and producing works of art that pre-empted the shock artists of our present age by a hundred years.
When I look at photographs of Merry Kelly’s room after Jack had finished painting I see Andy Warhol grovelling about with a can of beans and I see Damien Hirst with a thirst for blood.
Were it but a kick of colony at the turning of the century?
Could it be that at the turning of the millennium clock - and as the tick of a century was due to pass - the colony sent a silent messenger hence to help bend the purpose of time with a time and a purpose that scratches the groove?
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the creative giants who were to follow that turning of the century - such as Dali and Picasso - would have had nothing but admiration for Jack and his purpose.
For they too wished to scratch that groove.
I see the attack on Jane Shore as an impressionist painting, stand close and you will be confused by the swirls and dots, stand back and you will be rewarded with an impressionistic work of art.
More than that I see a genetically created creative reward system in operation here, in other words as events and great works unfold over the course of a century and emerge into a new millennium we see their reward in our time when in the actual age the events and art were created the reward was bitter rejection, poverty and ignoble death.
Now Vincent can command an enormous sum, $25 million being not unusual, and authors like Cornball Wallis can command a fee of $6 million for writing about the actions of a lonely little man called Jack at the turn of the last century.
Here then is simply revealed the deeply insidious workings of the colony at its true purpose, the propagation of essential signals to guide that colony through centuries rather than days.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting, and there's a few points I'd like to make at the end. But carry on, AP. I'm doing my best to keep up.

Robert

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 1:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, AP:

Glad you liked my poem, "Lost in Liverpool."

You have written an interesting piece about the rape and brutalization of Jane Shore. One line of thought that I have been thinking about, and I have not checked the thread to see if it has been addressed already, is the following:

1) The "shock" that Victorian society felt at the murder of mutilation of women on the open streets offended decorum, or at least the British sense of order. This may have been a function of society, the newspapers of the day, as an extension of public opinion, and the highly developed police force presented by the Metropolitan Police (I am talking about organization and law and order, not modern forensic ability, which obviously was primitive).

2) Although those mutilation murders were out of place in London and, thus, readily drew attention, such murders and mutilation were not uncommon elsewhere in the world, e.g, among the Plains Indians of North America or the Zulus of southern Africa. Indeed, gross mutilations and murders tragically occur today and are committed by military groups and individuals in various countries.

3) I am not saying that a Zulu or a Plains Indian committed the murders of 1888, but merely making the point that the shock and awe over the murders in one place and time, i.e., the East End of London in the autumn of 1888, were/are not felt the same way, or at all, in other circumstances, places, or societies.

All the best

Chris George

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
Good points; and yet a few more arrows strike the target.
My gut feeling though is that perhaps you are painting too wide a view, and by doing so we may well have to climb several mountains to scale a simple hill.
Similarly we can cross cultures and society and note that leisure activities - like hobbies and sport - do not exist in many sections of the colony because the worker ants are far too busy working, and have no free time for idle pursuits.
Not that your points are invalid, on the contrary they make uncommon good sense... and I for one was absolutely disgusted when I spent some months in the Magreb and discovered that the women of certain tribes upon reaching puberty had their clitoris and vaginal lips sliced off by the village beast - and that without any form of antiseptic or other medical precaution, so obviously many of them as a consequence died.
I'm quite sure if this weird science was to take place in our own section of the colony there would be some small outcry.
It is for this reason that I don't believe you can play cross-dressing with Jack, but must stick to the direct and indirect influences that were actually at play in the particular strata of society that Jack found himself in: the late Victorian stage of London, England.
Where I must say you score a commendable hit is with your thoughts on ritualized killings within other cultures. As a much younger person I was able to experience this at first hand in the highlands of PNG where certain tribes killed and roasted their grandparents and then ate them in the certain belief that they would acquire the inherited wisdom of their elders.
It is of course entirely possible that Jack too was driven by some kind of weird and ritualized magical thinking whereby he assumed power and knowledge over his victims by consuming certain key elements of the bodies.
This is sound reasoning.

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, AP:

The other thing that I think about is that the knife seems a primitive and sinister weapon, and evokes for me more the shadows of Eastern Europe or rustic origins than the urbane and "civilized" Victorian parlor. Do you see what I mean? By 1888, firearms were available, and I believe most homicides in the United States, if not Great Britain, by this date were committed by killers using firearms, and yet here we have a murderer using a weapon that is almost a throwback to earlier times. Does that say something about the killer?

All the best

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I don't want to sidetrack the development of your argument, but just a quick point.

Chris mentioned eastern Europe.Now, obviously your preferred suspect is Cutbush, and he's certainly one of my frontrunners. But from the point of view of influences, it seems obvious that although Cutbush would be susceptible, a poor Polish Jew who'd only lived here a few years would not be very much attuned to signals being propagated in late Victorian England.

It's not that I think that Cutbush would have used a gun, just that as a general theory about Jack, the colony theory seems to already rule out certain groups of people e.g. Polish Jewish immigrants.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
an excellent point, and possibly an absolute nightmare to deal with, for you are opening up a whole new insight, in that was the knife a weapon of choice or convenience?
I suppose the accessibility of the knife in 1888 was common, and the firearm uncommon - especially for the working class, but then again could the use of the knife have been somehow part of the obscure motive?
As I said, a nightmare.
I don't think that I can agree with you that firearms figure largely in crimes committed by men to women, they certainly do on man to man crimes today. Again I think this a distictive marker and does show that whatever else Jack was, he was a woman hater and a killer of sex. Had he used a gun, I think we would be looking at candidates for the role of Jack like this Barnett fellow or Michael Kidney, someone with a close and intimate connection with the victims. The fact that Jack used a knife has always dictated that it was a stranger crime. I know this doesn't make sense in 2003 but it did in Victorian England, and this is something many of our eminent authors and profilers forget.
Victorian England is not now.
Anyway, great point, and I shall dwell on it more.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
That's not a sidetrack, that's a swerve!
Of course you are right, but to be honest with you I can't say that I have a preferred suspect.
This doesn't devalue your valuable point; and again through creative thinking - rather than logical - we may have discovered a weird device that might allow us to close out a whole host of suspects. For it seems obvious to me - now - that Jack must have been a born and bred Londoner who had gathered the influences we speak off.
It just will not do to throw up a candidate who had arrived recently on the shores of England.
Thank you Robert.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Colony Revisited For

Anatomy and art.
Art and anatomy.
When William Blake pointed the finger of God, it was at you.
Or at Jack.
It is just as well to be aware that what influenced Jack doth influence us now, for although the colony’s signals my be isolated in specific time slices, their predestined biological purpose allows no isolation in time for they represent a continuum of time itself… or better said the colony’s passage through that time, and universe.
Signals that were there at the beginning of time will be there at the end of time, the frequency does change with the age and progression of the colony, and that seems to be a growing and maturing process within the colony. The present abundance of serial killers in the USA seems to me to be the natural consequence of throwing together so many different cultures and societies from usually isolated sections of the colony in such a short space of time, all with differing moral and social attitudes and perhaps more importantly all with different reactions to the signals that the colony as a mass is transmitting.
It is in America that the workers become soldiers and the soldiers become workers, and it seems part of this process towards a totally new organization developing within the existing colony is a general abandonment of moral and biological codes of conduct. We are able to see exactly the same situation when two totally separate wolf packs meet for the very first time, the result being that severely enforced rules of dominance and order immediately break down and slaughter and death is the inevitable result.
Basically human society is presently pissing too far from its own doorstep.
We are patently able to observe the persuasive curve of emerging serial killers in the new provinces of human disorder such as Australia and Canada… they play catch up with their cousins in America.
There is a sound and provable reason for the abundance of serial killers in the USA today, and that has nothing to do with forensic psychology or clever cops who write books, it is in fact biological, in that an entity who finds himself suddenly out of his cultural depth and understanding, will respond to other entities in both a bizarre and organized fashion. Bizarre in that he or she will suddenly assume a killing role that the colony seems to have programmed them for, and organized because they are just cleaning up the nest.
Or the streets, as Peter said.
You see what I am saying is that a migrating worker of the Victorian age would not have assumed the role of a nest cleaner and protector when he arrived in Whitechapel, as his biological role would have been strictly regulated by the dominant soldiers of the society he moved into.
He would have been truly a second class worker, with no influence or moment on his new surroundings.
This does not hold true for the worker entities that migrated to America or Australia as they were actively encouraged to become soldiers, whereas the Jews and Russians that migrated to the Whitechapel were considered to be nothing but dross by the society that wanted them purely for their labour skills.
Jack was a local soldier.
Unskilled at everything, except cleaning the nest.
Or the streets, as Peter said.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Paradoxically, this would work best with a soldier who hadn't absorbed the full range of soldier signals. Such a soldier, if he'd had a lonely upbringing, would not have been exposed to the moderating influences of the other soldiers, and misreadings of the signals would go uncorrected.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Powerful point.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Colony Revisited 5
(with thanks to Robert)

Could it be that a particular individual within the colony who either holds himself back from the mainstream through a peculiar shyness, or alternately is deliberately held back from the persuasive sway of the crowd by circumstances beyond his own control - such as parental influence or abject poverty - might well be more susceptible to the subtle signals than the average colony member?
I think yes.
For all the signs seem to dictate that this particular type of individual is a ‘loner’, far removed from the maddening crowd, a ‘sleeper’ if you like, lying deep below the day to day to strata of the colony, an individual who has absolutely no influence on society until he explodes into violent and unexpected action, and then actually causes that society to go into a sudden swerve, which is - as I said before - the natural biological consequence of these ‘sleepers’ and is patently their evolutionary task.
To keep the colony on track.
Rather than listening to the generalized radio signals the colony transmits - the smoothing sounds of organization and well-being transmitted by the technology the colony possesses at that particular time - this rare individual will spend countless idle hours listening to the peculiar music in his head, and in some weird form or manner he hears these signals through a solid wall of chaos, and quite rightly takes these signals onto the streets and makes the colony fully aware of their import.
Unbeknown to him, you and me, he is but fulfilling a task that ensures the successful guidance of the colony through a passage of time and space so immense that the colony might well lose its way and descend into total chaos without that individual to scratch a record of its passing.
If that thought leaves you in a similar isolation bubble as experienced by the ‘sleeper’ then you must take heart in the fact that there are proven criteria for the enforced isolation of individuals within the colony, and this is mostly based around a fear and or loathing of the mainstream of the colony, and a primitive desire to exercise some control over the obviously uncontrollable machinations of the whole.
The colony marches one way and this individual marches the other.
So the colony turns around and marches back in a vain attempt to pick up the pieces, and hence does a single individual swerve the entire colony through an idle bit of chaos.
Truly frightening.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I think the colony has some sort of unacknowledged need for such individuals. It seems to me that there is an innate need for the serpent in the garden - no matter how well things are going, somewhere in the works a spanner must be found, somehow a problem must present itself to be solved.

I'm not sure, but I think Poe may have called it the Imp of the Perverse. I believe the pioneer pilots used to sometimes sit in their planes, terrified that their hands would open of their own accord, thus releasing the controls and sending them to oblivion.

In any case, Jack sold more newspapers than Dr Barnardo.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Robert, an unacknowledged need is oft an urgent one.
Thus is human nature.
Yes, the names are many, 'Imp of the Perverse' I like very much indeed. 'Catcher in the Rye' I also like a lot.
However I think I am going deeper than that into the persuasive biological roots of the serial killer here, not just a spanner but a bloody great hammer that comes down on the colony
with a dreadful pounding and the reverberation shakes the colony to the core... hence a hundred years later this very popular web site devoted to a lonely litle kid who just happened to murder and mutilate woman. How we are moved by such a common happenstance. The stars stand still and the oceans do not move whilst we examine the banal facts of a simple serial killer's motive and life.
How come us to such an outcome?
How are we moved by such circumstance?
Be it yearning?
Or learning?
Are we jealous of the influence of simple Jack, and is the core of our interest a perverse desire to at least imitate Jack's game when not his name.
Would we all like to take up the knife and slice a heart out of the universe and carve our name forever in the soul of the colony?
We do it by dint and we do it by stint, for bless us all we do it in print.
And the bigger the print run the bigger the gun.
And we all get our chance to shoot darts into the heart of the colony.
But the swerve is not persuasive.
For the knife cuts deeper than the pen.
And who will last longer in the memory banks of the colony?
Hemingway or Jack the Lad?
One gets the Nobel Prize, the other gets the entire accolade of the entire colony, and it seems that forever.
The collective is responding to a peak of achievement that the represented intellect and intelligence of the colony does not even see.
Even more frightening.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Yes, the fascination is fascinating.

Maybe it has religious connections. Here is someone who doesn't obey the rules of the colony, who writes his own rules. And gets away with it.
But of course, there's always the hope of tearing aside the veil that hides his face.

Maybe also it has something to do with acrophobia. I remember reading somewhere that Poe's Imp of the Perverse was like the feeling you have when you stand on the edge of a tube platform and gaze at the live rail...

Perhaps we're walking this tightrope civilisation, with an abyss below - and paradoxically we know it's but a short drop to the bottom.

The Germans had Beethoven, Goethe, Heine, Kant, Nietzsche, Einstein....and got Hitler. If we had a time machine, went back and smuggled into Germany an infant Shakespeare, Blake, Keats, Newton, Leonardo,Rembrandt....so that these were all brought up German, it probably would have
made little difference. There seems to be some sort of saturation point at work. The answer would have been to smuggle baby Adolf out.

Are you saying that Jack and his ilk are warning signs for us to slow down, AP?

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

I enjoyed your post immensely. You got in so many good points that I may well have to give up SSB to get back to you.
I don't know about slowing down.
What I mean is that the headlong speed of the colony in its painstaking desire to both modernise and truly understand itself does not in itself represent a great danger to the colony’s inherited destination - there are dangers of course, but nothing that the colony can’t deal with when acting as a collective which is quite able to absorb or disperse with ease the dangers amongst its ranks.
Terrorist strikes by renegade soldiers at the very heart of the colony - in a vain attempt to swerve the colony from its biological course using weapons of war and words of intellect and intelligence - may appear initially catastrophic to the individual, but within a few hours or days the collective absorbs the terrific impact and smothers the herd with reassuring signals.
The collective absorbs the individual’s fear, panic and anxiety and the colony marches on, unscathed and perhaps better equipped to deal with the pressures of colonial terrorism.
But then what happens when the terrorism is purely an individual’s bent?
The whole situation is turned on its head.
For a single soul operating at the very heart of the collective with no connections whatsoever to that collective, who has negative feelings to that collective, represents an awesome danger to the colony.
For he is an individual and the collective recognises the unreasonable situation of a single soul operating against it, and they are - so it would appear - absolutely helpless in that unique biological situation.
They are only able to make war on a group.
For the individual does not exist within the colony.
But he does.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

And perhaps the most helpless ants of all are the nice, liberal ants. What individuality is allowed, is promptly universalised ("Let us respect one another's common individuality").

I am reminded of a remark I'm sure I remember reading in a book about Camus. During an interview, Camus looked through the window, saw a Teddy boy and said something like "The answer for me must be the answer for him too".

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colony Revisited Six

So we have the will of an individual pitched against the almighty will of the colony, which seems to be impossible, but we must accept that it happens, even further than that we have to accept the sobering fact that sometimes an individual will actually impose his will on the colony and dominate it.
However this in itself might - quite perversely - well be the hidden result of the collective will somehow kindling and lighting the individual’s will in an effort to kick the colony back into the predestined direction after it has taken a dangerous swerve or appears to be on an imminent path of collision. Both the individual and the colony would be unaware of this subtle and somewhat humorous situation, as it is a biological marker that cannot be diagnosed, assessed or even recognised using the normal human tools of intellect, intelligence or logic.
Simply put: the colony gets what the colony deserves, and wants.
And if that ‘what’ is an individual running around Whitechapel in the late 1880’s with a knife, murdering and mutilating women, then somehow the colony has summoned this strange creature, and that summons has very real and fathomable purpose and intent.
The import is in trying to look deeper into the actions of Jack; the signals that the colony might have been transmitting at that time, and then apply some lessons concerning the will of the colony and the individual that recent history may have taught us.
All is not what it seems, and to analyse Jack and his fellow soldiers, it is imperative to shut out completely the logical side of our brain and allow the creative side to run riot through the dark passageways of the colony’s collective mind.
For it is our tendency - as a developing species - to always look with our intellect, intelligence and logic at specific situations and attempt to analyse and explain motive, intent and purpose, but often the specific situation we are looking at - as in this specific case with the colony and even more specifically with Jack - is a purely biological situation where our precious logic and intellect simply do not apply.
A small sample should serve the purpose of demonstration.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

you make so many good points that I often use them as I gallop along. Hope you don't mind?
Some I may ignore as somewhere in my depleted brain cells it is telling me that I plan to cover those points anyway, as in your references to Nazi Germany and the most recent remark about the 'tree huggers' within the colony.
Always enjoy your lively interest.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP. By all means use anything you find helpful. I am enjoying this enthralling theory of yours.

Robert

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2834
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys - enjoying the thread, but the last two posts have drifted into some murky areas re: homosexuality. There's been some complaints and I have to agree that these comments can be rightfully deemed to be offensive. As per the policy:

"I will post nothing to any public forum under the casebook.org domain that includes content that may be deemed libelous, slanderous, defamatory, lewd or obscene, offensive to any ethnic or cultural group, or otherwise inappropriate"

Let's keep personal/political views on homosexuality, Jews for Jesus or the Purple Teletubby to private conversations please. Thanks. :-)
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok - maybe I wasn't clear... Everyone, if its not about Jack and/or Poetry, take it to email or another web site. Period.

Thanks!

Now let's get back to the poems...
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 5:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knocked up quickly, but here goes :

HELP NEEDED!!!

Help! I need someone to interview -
An expert authority, somebody who
Can tell me all about these crimes,
Put me straight, stop me wasting my time.
The person I want to interview
Should have blood on his hands, and his shirt cuffs too.
He must have a kidney in his pocket,
With a wrenched-off ring (he mustn't hock it).
He'll answer to the name of Jack,
And enjoy having coppers on the rack.
He must be a toff/Jew/sailor/nutcase/other,
Or pose as a toff/Jew etc as cover.
The interview's down at the station at nine.
Yours, Inspector Abberline.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack me mate…

So me and my mate Jack
We sat down for a little chat
About this and that.
As unlikely as it may seem
This were no dream
But mere part of scene
Just part of larger scheme.

He told me that the dots had been drawn long ago
He drew them himself, that much I know,
And that generations would come to join up the lines
And would do so a million times,
But result would always be the same
For that be part of Jack’s old game.

You must understand
To draw lines in the sand.

Jack told me it was best to burn books on fires
To help fan the flames of hidden desires.
And that he would in time have defenders
Throughout the land
And together
They would form a jolly band
Who would brook no treason
And slice off our ears for no reason
Other than that we could no longer hear
And as such could we conquer our fear.
So we could sleep well at night
And not take sudden fright.

For Jack said they be best employed at joining
Up dots
And studying such things as old ink blots,
And paper quality and type
And other such tripe.

The thing Jack feared most of all
Was something quite silly and small.
That someone would ignore the dots
And rub out the old ink blots
To paint the canvas afresh
This he feared more than death.
For then there would be nothing left to shout
For Jack’s great secret would be out.
That a man be now’t but sum of his parts
Now that would do for a start.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.