Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through April 09, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » JtR Poetry » Archive through April 09, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 593
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou for those words AP.Also about the black pit---yes he was right over that!You have to train yourself not to stare too long!
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Nietzsche's sister maried an anti-semite. After Nietzsche's mental collapse and death, she presented him as an early Nazi.

Re Hegel, I seem to recall a chart-topper entitled "Hegel, don't bother me". But I had better go now, as I can hear Bullwinkle approaching.

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 965
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

My choice of 'wolf' for the guy with good intentions was by way of a compliment to you. It also seemed to tie in nicely with my too hastily thought-out theme of having Jack Rabbit as our elusive villain, and Shep doing all he can to round up sheep and stop them cottoning on (!) to his failure to catch Jack Rabbit, or even to see him if and when he popped up and bopped him on the nose.

The only way in which Adolf could ever have hoped to resemble the Wolf of my own silly tale was in name alone - ie a Shep in Wolf's clothing.

The biological beast was not on my mind when I chose the wolf to be my free-thinking rabbit catcher, inviting the sheep to join him, not for dinner, but in the hunt.

So if you were choosing, which animal would you have made the rabbit catcher instead, and which animal would you have chosen Jack himself to be?

Happy rabbiting.

Love,

Caz

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How, Robert? Have they put a bell on poor old Bullwinkle now?
Yes, I remember that ditty as well, Robert.
'Hegel don't bother me
Hegel don't bother me
just go away
and with old Freud play
Hegel don't bother me
my mother I love you see'
etc.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 995
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Caz...
I'm almost blushing.
I did understand your path and I wasn't trying to block it with reality. The myth is far nicer.
I'll have to dwell on that choice, not easy.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I meant that Bullwinkle is a Hegel fanatic and may be coming to put us straight on the Absolute.

I will try to do a poem over the weekend.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ATONEMENT

'Twas no lawful sacrifice
The knife was not of the best
The lamb was mutton and shot with vice
The ritual, wild and unblest

And of the two the lamb was bolder
Leading herself to gory slaughter
But he draped his sins across her shoulder
And bathed his hands in redeeming water

Shabby it was, and rather hurried
Priestly and profane
Then all at once away he scurried
Started his sinning again

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Love the line "and bathed his hands in redeeming water" it gives the poem such a sense of chaste madness.
The whole poem somehow reminded me of the maenads working themselves to a frenzy to slaughter.
I do wonder about JtR and his mad inner world.
Best Natalie.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 996
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Robert, that worked beautifully.
It has a natural and mystical beat to it that quite captures the magical madness of a Jack at his bestial work.
I greatly envied and admired the line:
'The lamb was mutton and shot with vice'.
Superb.
I must try something of a similar nature.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 997
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz… my choice

Jack-Rabbit was rabbit Jack
Far removed from maddening pack
So Wolf of Myth
Is really fish
A giant whale shark
That comes up from the dark
And deep reaches of the ocean
And there floats on magical lotion
Causing the entire reef to stare
And to wonder from where
Cometh such a marvel of creation
As it basks on an ocean of elation.
Its gigantic passing a cause for commotion
In every single sea and every single ocean.
For there it doth float in perfect space
Secret smile of Buddha upon its face.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP and Natalie. Natalie, why don't you bung a few poems in? I know you've done some really good ones already.

AP, I really enjoyed that. I can just imagine that vast creature passing by. And it's not as if they're seen that often - as far as I know, they're still pretty much a mystery to scientists.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 610
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was a lovely idea AP.Very unusual too I loved it!
Hi Robert,I might have some time over Easter and have a try!
Best Natalie.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easter, Natalie? You aren't going to hide your poems on all the different threads and make us hunt for them, are you?

Here's my attempt on the animal theme :

ROCK AROUND THE CROC

When the wildebeest come down to the river
In search of the rain, eternal life-giver
The crocs are waiting
For coming sating
And yearly feast
Of wildebeest.
And the creatures have no choice but cross
Accepting the risks and the certain loss
For they too have to eat
So tentative feet
Begin the ordeal
As fate spins its wheel
And spins the crocs there
As they clamp and they tear.
But one croc bites and then eats none
Takes a second ere first is done
And so with third and fourth....
The wildebeest plod on unbeaten
Glance back at their comrades floating uneaten.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Classic, Robert.
I reckon you've given Kipling a race for his money here. Loved every word, and the last two lines superb.
You must be squeezing your tea bags out in the cup!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP. Actually I tend to chuck them in the nearest empty ice cream tub!

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP, Natalie

Just musing on what Natalie said about Eddowes on another thread :

VIGILANCE

Morris was sweeping his filthy floor
Outside someone was sweeping a whore
Frantic fight for one last breath
Mad delight in smell of death
Safe tonight every warehouse lock
No thieves sneaking to steal the stock
Yet something lies smashed and open in corner
Plundered and pillaged, just cobbles to mourn her
Unwatched
All's botched
Damaged in transit, written off
Some slivers of soap and a putrid cloth
The whistle it blew, the coppers they came
And Morris took charge of his warehouse again

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Robert,its an "interesting" poem.I don"t quite know which thread you are referring to as I have said quite a few things about Catherine Eddowes in particular that she may have been murdered by the ripper and be one of the "canonical" victims but that the police at any rate had no record of her being a "whore".
Anyway I think I had better start writing some poems about the Victorian bourgeoisie-the perfidious albion of literature-and balance up the class attacks a bit.The only thing is I far and away prefer what I"ve read about the struggling proletariat.By the way a wonderful read is F. Engels on The Conditions of the working class.Once you"ve read it you"re never quite the same again[as F.Scott Fitzgerald once said when writing to his daughter Scottie.Kisses Natalie

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lovely stuff, Robert.
You have really been finding your tempo and fire just lately. This is a perfectly crafted piece of art that sits as solid as a painting. We can see it all, through your clever play with words.
I think this and the last to be your best yet.
My hat is off to you, sir!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP and Natalie. Well, now I'm into my stride I'd better try to keep it up!

Natalie, Engels's book was a bit out of date in 1888, wasn't it? Anyway,have you checked out http:/www.marxists.org? There's a lot of stuff on Marxism...and Hegel. But now I hear Bullwinkle approaching again.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not really it was just beginning to impact the East end.It was written about the time Catherine Eddowes was born.She was sent to a workhouse at the age of thirteen when she became an orphan.By the way I feel sure Blake would have loved her!

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fatal Flaw in Flow

It can be remarked that in many differing species - social and solitary animals included - that an obsessive and compulsive urge to ‘nest’ does play a major contribution in the successful procreative continuation of the species. The ability to seek seclusion in an isolated and safe location; and then to give birth to and raise the offspring in such privacy and safety, without any doubt improves the survival prospects of both parent and offspring.
Generally speaking, animals that do selectively choose this method of concealed procreation make exceptionally devoted parents, prepared to care for and defend their offspring with their own lives if required. Animals familiar to us who follow this steady course of procreative action are, bears, certain sub-species of the wolf family - like the Artic wolf - and of course even the humble hamster would fall into this category.
The concern here with such species is the bizarre signalling process that appears to take place in the individual animal’s brain when it is in a ‘nesting’ phase. For as a ‘third party’ one is very easily able to influence this nesting behaviour by introducing what appears to be a ‘fatal flaw’ into the natural flow of procreation… with totally catastrophic results.

One must simply introduce an alien scent into the intimate nesting area of the breeding animal - or even animals - to initiate what to us is a most shocking series of events, for the previous doting and caring parent animal will actually viciously attack the offspring, killing them by biting through the neck, ripping them apart, limb for limb, eviscerating and cannibalising them and finally scattering the unrecognisable body parts all over the nesting area in what we would happily term as a ‘bloodbath’ or ‘slaughter’.
So what we witness here is some form of chemical and or electrical impulse or influence - contributed by outside chemical or electrical influence - on the most sacred sanctum of an animal’s basic survival instincts; to wit, a transition from loving parent to mindless killer in a vital second which spells doom for its entire evolutionary development.
It is almost as if the brain has gone haywire for a brief instance, as if this tiny outside influence has ‘fused’ the entire logical and biological processes that are there, solidly in place in the brain, to ensure the successful procreation and survival of its own species.
What is going on here?
Can we really see the base and natural elemental urge to murder and mutilate - brought on by simple chemical or electrical influence on the brain - in a highly developed social animal such as man? Are we but over-sized hamsters responding to subtle signalling devices that we neither understand or will acknowledge? Hiding in the dark night of our success as a supreme social animal whilst the bright daylight of our humble origins drags us back to the slaughter our sons and daughters just because they don’t smell right?
When I view the carnage of a simply disturbed nesting animal I do get the strong feeling that the disturbed animal is actually looking for something that is no longer there. The scattered body parts seem to represent a ‘search’, for something that is suddenly missing, as if the breeding animal no longer recognises the outer appearance of its offspring and is frantically searching for internal confirmation of its status… or maybe even its own existence.
You see, as strange as it might appear, I do believe Jack was looking for something, and I do believe that ‘something’ was confirmation of his ‘self’. The mirror did not reflect the correct image so he went out to correct that image through the internal machinations - and mutilation and mayhem - of the universe.
By chemical or by electricity, he was ordered to kill.
A chemical Jack.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is possible I think.
We had a young cat once who was killed by a car meaning that the kittens she had given birth to two weeks previously were orphaned[she had been an exemplary mother to these her first kittens].
Andy managed with the help of his father to persuade the local RSPCA officer to let him have a young mother cat who had lost her litter and was feeding all the young strays in the RSPCA.This dear little cat objected at first to feeding these "new" orphans.Andy and I consulted a book we got from the local library which suggested smearing the kittens with her milk.I managed to do this as she was leaking milk and sure enough it did the trick.We then adopted a little cat of 6 weeks who the "mother" cat put in charge of staking out territory etc though she refused to have him as an extra "kitten"[though he was younger than "her girls"by a few weeks].Apart from her rejection of "Syd" and taking rather a long time to wean her adopted kittens-they were great big cats when she stopped and she licked them on an off for years everything went fine until we took them to the RSPCA to get spayed at about 5 months.When we collected them we could smell gas on their fur.However and this is the interesting part with regard to what you are saying, she went to attack the three of them spitting and hissing very viciously and not letting them near her.We kept them apart from her for a while until after ac few days the smell of gas faded and all returned to normal.All of this tallies with what you are saying AP and you may well have hit on something.[I notice though that cats are independent sole mothers.I wonder if the females help each other in the wild?

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 650
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats.....
Certainly do on the boards tho!!!!!! hope youre good ....keep up the good work. xx suzi x

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Another fascinating idea of yours. It's as if the offspring were now being treated as intruders in the nest, as the enemy.

I tend to agree that Jack was looking for something. If you're right, and the affected animals were also looking for something, one possibility might be that they were looking for confirmation of a task performed i.e. the animal is required to go through certain checking procedures, but something intervenes to stop the brain sending the message "task completed" and so the animal is doomed to go in ever decreasing circles repeating the same rituals.

It would be interesting to know whether the animals who destroy their young also tear apart the nest, or whether that is left intact.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there Suzi!!!
Nice to see you on here.Got a feelin I"m in the doghouse tonight.So I think I"ll say "Night Night
Suzi"[Don"t let the bed bugs bite!]
off to Wales tomorrow morning first thing-lovely sea and mountains!......Love Nats.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way Robert,your poem was indeed beautifully crafted.
Natalie

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks folks.
Yes, Robert, a good point that does lead one back to the ‘Midwich Cuckoos’, and also back to the ’Colony’ idea and the scrambling of normal signals in specific individual’s brains making them commit mayhem and murder.
It is obvious that nesting animals that do murder and mutilate their offspring in the manner described, are reacting thus solely upon the brain detecting an alien scent within the brood, in other words it is a simple chemical or electrical impulse that has been set off by the alien scent. For they can see no difference in their offspring - and indeed there is no difference - but something very subtle is telling them that something is wrong, and that drastic action is required to right that wrong.
The subsequent result, a parent murdering and dismembering its own offspring, is utterly futile, for it serves no useful evolutionary or procreative purpose… worse than that, the animal has bitten off its nose to spite its face. For it has killed its own gene-bank, and has scratched its future from the biological continuation of its own universe. This is anti-Darwinism with a vengeance. For by proxy the animal has slit its own wrists and committed suicide.
Therefore it is entirely provable that an advanced mammalian species is both able and liable to suddenly abandon its normal routine and habit, and then kill and maim specific groups of targets, simply through a subtle chemical or electrical influence or impulse that has been directed to the brain by the introduction of a very minor alien influence… an influence that should - of course- have no effect on the brain really because the influence represents absolutely no danger whatsoever to the well-being of the individual concerned.
But somehow the mammalian brain is wired so, and until we understand this simple process a little better I think it better to hold fire with ‘motive’, as this does show there can be absolutely no motive for such savage crimes, instead the brain may simply have reacted to a simple signal or impulse that has in every sense of the word ‘commanded’ the individual to act in this suicidal and deadly manner.
I would suggest that the cloying smell of old gin and urine could possibly provoke such a chemical reaction in the brain of man.

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP.....wow, great post. I think this is easier for folks to understand than the Gorilla analogy used on another thread. Very good.

Mikey

PS...yes, I realize the different posts were about different subjects.

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There’s a story needing telling
Profits waiting for the selling,
Scales tipped, balance weighted,
Sides chosen, views shaded.
Fairness hardly stands a chance
But needs that tune to start the dance.
How to make the dice roll true
To represent the chosen view?

On one the sympathy is poured
Sweetness returned the reward
Honey bait is what’s meant
For the one deemed innocent.
The other gets the bitter lash
The singe of leather, searing slash
Bitterness heaped on bile
Returned, see the schemer smile.

Just the facts as they occurred
A little twist, outcome assured.
Written down, the telling plain
Is shaded by the schemer’s aim.
Neutral is as neutral does
To see what is, see what was.
Story presented, but unseen
The puppet master behind the screen.

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally, my Goddess, my Queen,

That was absolutely wonderful.

Mikey

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, very nice poem Ally. Good to see you taking the plunge at last!

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautifully crafted Ally, and a sheer joy to read. I love a poem that comes from the heart, as I'm sure this one did, and despite the emotional venom that appears to be contained there within - forgive me if I'm wrong - it has handsome argument, and rakes over the flames of two old lovers set in their ways and not prepared to give an inch.
Does this Puppet Master live in a potting shed, walk around with a Burberry deer-stalker on his head, and believe that the sun rises and sets in Freud's hindquarters?
Or is it the evil Robert, with tea and fag in hand, and beautiful prose in mouth, secretly plotting the 'revenge of the curry-bound retired Major' on all of us?
I want to know who the puppets are and who the puppet master is.
Superb poem, Ally.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mikey

praise is rare for such flights into the universal swell, so I'll bathe in it for a while.
Yes, this was more logical and persuasive than some of the other stuff I throw up from time to time, and I think the vital point is that the new investigative techniques being developed by the forces of law and order - such as the DNA profiling of the populace and then application of that to curbing the activities of serial killers; and the efforts to pick the minds of incarcerated killers to see how they tick - are a complete and utter waste of time... until we fully understand a simple chemical or electrical influence or application to such crimes of which we speak.
It is entirely logical, and biologically very valid.
Thanks.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ally,nice one.As a poem I agree with all those posters above.You certainly can compose some lovely verse.
For some reason though words like "room" and "manoeuvre" spring to mind!
Nats

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mikey,

Thank you. Worship me at will.

Richard,

Thanks, LOL. I have another poem on the Casebook proper fiction site..under a pseudonym of course.

A.P.,

Thanks. Not prepared to give an inch about sums it up. :-)

Natalie,

Thanks, but no idea what you mean. Truly, I am innocently baffled.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I was reading too much into those lines to do with neutrality.Thinking that they could be directed towards those who equivocate as well as towards the main protagonists.
Natalie

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice, Ally.

xxx xxx xxx

B.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, David. I am sure your opus will be fabulous too. Any day now, right?

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

The days are indeed now short, I believe. This is the end time. Soon a part of A?R should appear, and the century-long cult of the mystery of Jack the Ripper's identity terminate. The afternoon sun sets early, evening comes quickly, and we are ourselves are now a part of it slipping away. I'm not a soothsayer, but it seems to me all is to be much different soon.

Those who have a mouth to speak, let them speak now. Let them say who they think the murderer was, and rest.

How long, Ally? A month or a week I think, likely no longer.

Bullwinkle

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The PM

The puppet master pulls the strings
To camouflage the puppet’s sins
By jerking this and that and every limb
The puppet master always wins.

The puppets hang in limbo land
Pulled about by stranger’s hand
For puppet master’s great master plan
Is every puppet’s head buried in sand.

And when puppets try to rebel
Puppet master sends ‘em all to hell
There to drown in universal swell
An on fate of puppets to dwell.

Every little puppet is perfect image of reflection
Of the puppet master’s perfect perfection
And so he slices them section for section
For his imperial puppet master’s inspection.

He likes to send his puppets out at his grand bidding
The entire world of whores and writers to be ridding.

He enjoys the power of the chase
But doesn’t like to show his face
So he puts the puppets in the proper place
And then they disappear without a trace.

Of theory
He is weary
And finds the truth
Quite uncouth.

On Jack
PM is the chap
But same old hat
Some puppet in cap.

But funny old thing
To cut the string
Use butterfly wing
And hear angel sing.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See the sprightly promenade
Of circus animals on parade?
But what befalls the grandest schemes
When dancing puppets cut the strings?

Freed, whipping, wild they spin.
Gather up and rein them in
The puppet master grasps in vain
Tattered, torn, there ends the reign.

Collapsed, decayed, dust-dry disguise
Crumbles away before your eyes
Now revealed, behold with awe,
A rag-bone heart where ravens claw.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A nod to Yeats there.

David,

I do indeed look forward to the day. You make the world a more interesting place. Not necessarily less irritating, but definitely more interesting.

Peace on ya,

Ally

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blimey! "Thunderbirds" will never be the same again.

I enjoyed both of those, AP and Ally. And they both had really strong endings. I particularly liked "The puppets hang in limbo land" "Use butterfly wing /And hear angel sing" and "A rag-bone heart where ravens claw".

I was trying to write one about the seaside, but I'll have to have a think about puppets.

Bullwinkle, can't wait for your solution!

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 633
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its great to see all this splendid verse and yet another woman on the creativity boards!Its got me going.I"ve just started a poem of sorts.Ally and AP I liked both of them.Very enigmatic and enjoyable.
Best natalie

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The puppet lay still and broken
For a single word it had spoken
Its single word but verbal token
And a 1000 hungry ghosts awoken.

To ghost the night with pale dread drippings
Whilst gin-sodden whores went a-skipping
And whilst the puppets went about a-ripping
The puppet master was sour gin gently sipping.

Oh what hell hand hold and mire!
With what stoke and with what fire?
Did the puppet master want or desire
To rest his burnt arse on burnt funeral pyre?

And did the drippings there run down
Whilst little puppet played the clown
And with what head and what great crown
Did blood-spoked wheel spin around?

The fat that was in blood bathed and boiled
The whore that was in blood and slime soiled
The serpent touch that was recoiled and foiled
Thus was bloody great wheel cleaned and oiled.

With no if or but
The string not cut
But smothered in smut
And greased with gut…

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.