Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 25, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » On The Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jack the Ripper (Miles, 2003) » New Release » Archive through February 25, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All
Thanks for everyones help on the matter, it really is appreciated and great to know that there is help on the casebook when needed!!
stephen......i, for one, am in the uk (love the word shennanigins!! people should use it far more often along with kaffluffle!!)proboscis.......thanks for the web site info..i will give him a polite bell and report back to everyone!!
Stiff upper lips chaps/chappesses...we may get somewhere yet!!!

d higgins
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi
i am also in the uk i live in sussex near where the place is based but still have not recieved a book, has anyone out there yet recieved one?

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Check I sent this fellow is still washing his tea cups and advises me that the author now has the first chapter in preparation, the delay being merely a reflection of earnest research spent in New York bars interviewing prostitutes who may have information vital to the case of a bunch of Whitechapel whores sliced up in the late 1880's.
My Check tells me that he hasn't been paid for his efforts either but that Mister Millianos is a happy sort of chap who wanders about the place singing snatches from the Sex Pistols 'The Great Rock and Roll Swindle'.
It is rumoured that Mister Millianos will be appearing in the next edition of 'I'm a celebrity get me out of of this New York bar before I write a book', and I for one jolly well look forward to his contribution to this important debate.
err... can I have my Check back please?

Natalie Severn
Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP just to agree.I sent a P.O. and have heard nothing since.Anyway I hope he gets moving soon.
At leasst I now know I"m not the only one who feels a bit irritated.Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whacklow, Futtle and Crun

Solicitors for threats and oaths

Sir

Our clients advise us that they have advanced you certain monies for your book "On the Trail of a Dead Man." It now appears that it is your trail that has gone dead.

Be warned that according to the Dubious Books Act of 1698, continued failure to produce your book will make you liable to a spell on Chris Tarrant's game show "Who Wants To be A Millianos?"

We await your response.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This link may of interest...... I have not ordered the book but feel for comments of my fellow Casebookers on their plight and hope this can all be sorted soon, one way or the other

http://www.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/brighton__hove/archive/2002/02/25/NEWS500ZM.html

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Miles/Millianos also has his own website at
http://www.milestonemediaandarts.com/index.htm
but there seems remarkably little on there at the moment! But from the titles listed on the left this is the same company
C

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Everyone,

What a sad state of affairs this is. It really makes people angry to think they may have been taken for a ride. I do find certain aspects of this incident slightly worrying.

The email supposedly from 'Liz Foster' (Liz possibly Long Liz) posted by David Bullock on Jan 28, I find to be totally ludicrous. What's all this nonsense about a warehouse? As I understand it the print run of this publication is quite small, in fact this was one of the 'hooks' used to get our attention. Why would anyone need to set up a warehouse.

Point two. Reference is constantly being made to an 'office'. Why would you need an office just to write a book? I didn't have one and I managed allright.

Point three. The website mentioned in Chris Scotts posting of Feb 6th contains a local newsapaer article about this person creating a sculpture. The interesting bit is where he is apparently asking for money to finance some project or the other. Does this sound familiar?

Of course nasty old suspicious Bob Hinton could be completely wrong and there is a perfectly rational explanation to all this. Still it's easy enough to put our minds at rest.

Presumably because Mr Miles or whatever he calls himself is concerned about the situation he is monitoring these boards. In that case I would like to address this next point directly to him.

Mr Miles, would you be so good as to publish the ISBN number of your book on these boards so that naughty old cynics like myself can at least check to see if your book exists? This shouldn't present any problems since according to you not only does it exist but you have already sent out copies.

We await your next communication with bated breath!

Bob

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

When I ordered the book I noted the ISBN Number as it was originally stated in the advert.

ISBN: 0-9546485-0-1

I have done a number of searches on this number and I haven't been able to confirm either way as to whether it is valid.

I previously posted a reply email from Milestone. I have since sent another email requesting some sort of clarification of the situation. The reply I received refers once again to the Christmas break, and insists that all orders will be fulfilled. I received this reply on Fri 30th Jan, at that time Milestone also stated that they would be receiving a new consignment of books from the printers by the end of the following week. They did say in the email that if I didn't wish to wait, they would gladly refund my payment.

I hope we will all receive our books very soon...

Regards

David Bullock

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys -

Let's not jump the gun here. So far all we know is that Milestone Press has some serious customer relations issues. There is no reason to suspect at this point that there is any con-game or other sinister activity going on.

My feeling remains that these problems are the result of inadequate planning on the publisher's part. Considering this is their first publication, and that they are such a small company, that's not an unreasonable speculation.

Still, I would suggest that anyone planning on purchasing the book wait until they hear that at least ONE person has indeed received their promised merchandise. That's just common sense.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wholeheartedly concur with Stephen. However it would expedite matters considerably if Mr Miles would simply tell us who has actually received his book to date, then all our unfounded suspicions could be put to rest!
Bob

chris morley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everone, I too ordered and payed for this book on December 11th, and still have received nothing. I've been doing a bit of detective work and found the ISBN number given, does not exist in relation to this book. I've also seen pre-orders been taken for this title on another true crime website. This author is sure making, from a financial point at least, his 250 copies go a long way.. I am convinced that the case is one which can be successfully grappled with if it is systematically taken in hand. I go so far as to say that I could myself in a few days unravel the mystery provided I could spare the time to give undivided attention to it.

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi stephen.
I'm sorry but i disagree. IF Mr Millianos had'nt banked any cheques before realising said book was not available to send and IF Mr Millianos had posted on The Casebook to explain that no money would be cashed until he recieved futher supplies of said book then i might be a little less dubious; but immediately cashing peoples cheques and then issuing a 'statement' that as far as im concerned in my case was a little inaccurate to begin with (according to his dates i definately should have recieved a copy as my money went out BEFORE he shut for xmas) i am beginning to doubt the gentlemen's intentions. All i can say is that i hope he still has written records ie names and full addresses of all of us who have paid so that when this magical assignment of books appears he will know where to send the books to. Respectfully yours, sarah

d higgins
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ill ask my uncle in sussex trading standards what he thinks of the situation, perhaps he knows something about the situation of milliangos publishers does anyone know if he has done any more books

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A short notice to say I have been in touch with Mr. Miles, and he says that all Casebook customers who have not yet received a book will receive one by next week. The delay was caused due to overhwhelming sales in early December - those who ordered from the Casebook advert were among their last customers, and the publishers were obliged to send books out in the order in which they were received.

Again, according to Chris, you will all have your books by the end of next week.

If I hear anything else, I will post it here.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Natalie Severn
Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen/All,I have now received my copy and am enjoying it very much indeed.There seems to have been every intention of delivery ASAP but demand took over etc.Anyway I am very glad its now sorted and hope others get their copies soon.
Best Wishes Natalie.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Message From Milestone Press - Chris Millianos

Greetings To All,

I want to extend our sincerest apologies to all who have not yet received their books. As mentioned in a recent email to Stephen Ryder, the final 12 customers will have their books dispatched early this coming week. They will receive, along with their signed copy, a £2.50 discount voucher toward the sequel book - due for publication in the summer (2004) -- 'To Convict A Dead Man : The Posthumous Trial of Jack the Ripper'...Also, as the Christmas back-up nightmare has now been completely rectified, any new customers who send their orders will have their merchandise dispatched within the normal, standard 7 to 14 day period (on the rare occasion -21 days)upon receipt of the cheque/postal order. As you know, this standard dispatch period is utilized by most sellers/companies. It, of course, allows time for the bookselers/publishers to receive their copies from the suppliers/printers. And YES, our suppliers do have a small warehouse where they store their printed copies before shipping to us.

Anyway, from the looks of some of your messages, we should have titled the first book, 'On The Trail of a Dead Author: The Identity of Chris Miles'. On a lighter note, I suppose this situation calls for a rewording (or warped version) of a noted World War II quote from the inimitable Winston Churchill: 'Never In the annals of literary history have so few owed so much to so many...'

As we fully understand and empathize with your frustration, we do hope that you will now understand, if not empathize with, our unfortunate and unavoidable delay in dispatching the final 12 books. Therefore, I will seize this moment to allow myself 'equal time' in responding to some of your messages. Messages which not only questioned our integrity, but which, quite frankly, just about rival some of the ludicrous conspiracy theories regarding J.F.K., Marilyn Monroe, and a fairly well-known 19th century serial killer.. uh, what's his name... oh, Jack the Ripper. In response, I will simply ask you to read the comments made by one of our many satisfied customers/readers. The following is directly reprinted from a letter sent by Ms. Mildred Tunnock from Lewes, East Sussex:

quote:

Dear Chris,

I began reading your book on the same day that I received it. Without exaggeration, I was barely able to put it down until it was finished. The unique and refreshing combination of traditional historical analysis and your personal
insight/life experience is extremely atmospheric, absorbing, and completely enlightening. Furthermore, the fact that the book is a direct reprint of your investigative manuscript, [I refused to hire a professional editor because of the confidential material. C.M.] only makes it all the more intriguing and refreshing.
l amost felt as though I had been peeking into the personal files of a private investigator -- or more aptly, a cross between a Victorian-era detective and a 20th century Mickey Spillane-type private eye. Even the odd misplaced commas and frequent 'Americanisms' add to the atmosphere in your relaying the seven-month-long investigation into book format. The juxtaposition of 1880s Whitechapel and 1980s (and ''70s) New York (and the fascinating and deadly characters you encountered) makes for a wonderfully refreshing, quite chilling, and informative narrative. More importantly, this intriguing life experience of yours has succeeded in bringing to light the man who I am now convinced was the actual Whitechapel murderer! I sincerely believe you have 'hit the nail on the head' Chris! If ever again any naive individual should mention suspects such as Walter Sickert, Lewis Carroll, or the Duke of Clarence, I will gladly shove your book under their noses and I'm sure they will immediately shut up.

Finally, I am extremely happy to have read your brilliant contribution to the field of true-crime/ Ripper studies, and I am completely looking forwad to your sequel book.

P.S. Not only has your book brought to light the man most likely to have been the Jack the Rpper, but it is a chilling reminder that 100 years later, there are many potential Jack the Rippers lurking about in any big city. I sure as hell will think twice before ever again accepting a drink from a stranger.

Sincerely,
Mildred

Lastly, I would like you to read excerpts of the email I had sent Stephen Ryder. It clearly explains the entire scenario - much of which had been unknown or misconstrued.

quote:

Dear Stephen,

Just to let you know, our computer system completely crashed last Tuesday evening (Feb. 3 -4) and has been down untill this afternoon (Thursday, 12th, Feb.). We have not been able to receive or send emails until today!

More importantly, you are completely wrong in thinking that Milestone Press has not sent email explanations to customers AND refund offers to anyone who hadn't yet received their book and was not prepared to wait. (this was done in the days and weeks after our long, detailed message was placed in your MessageBoard in early to mid Jan.). Out of the 312 customers who ordered the book, 300 have already happily received their books since dispatch resumed on January 7th. The 10 - 28 day wait, which was clearly explained, began on that date (Jan. 7th) and lasted till February 5th (maximum 28 DAYS). At this point, only 12 customers have waited slightly over that unfortunate period which ended last week -- Feb. 5 - 6. As we just had to order a new batch of copies from our printers/suppliers, and will receive them tomorrow afternoon, the remaining 12 customers will have their books dispatched next week and will receive them by mid or late next week (Liz Foster, our sales manager, unfortunately, ordered slightly less copies than she should have).

Also, there were only 19 customers who ordered our book as a result of your advert. Most of our customers ordered through adverts placed in local newpapers and seller periodicals (which began running some two weeks before we even placed an advert with your website) . Some of your website viewers who ordered as a result of the Casebook advert were, unfortunately, last on the list as our local advert customers inundated us with orders in early December - days before we placed an advert with your website. Once dispatch resumed on January 7th, we, therefore, felt obliged to dispatch the books in chronological order of receipt. Once again, the final 19 customers without a book will have their product by next week.

We have also been dealing with 2, and soon a third, bookshops in England who had long ago reserved initial minimum orders.

Finally, the system failure from last week was a sudden and unexpected nightmare. Many of our email addresses and important contact numbers were temporarily lost (some still have not been retrieved!!). Because of this lengthy distraction and lack of internet facilities (and NO, it wasn't possible to use an internet cafe - most of the info and contact data was crashed in our computer -- not to mention time and schedule factors!) I was unable to contact you regarding further advertising, etc.

As our printers/suppliers are running smoothly and have no delays/holidays till next Christmas, any new orders received will be sent their merchandise within the normal time frame (7 -14 days).

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 849
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could I please have Mildred's address as I would dearly like her to review my work as well. I bet she makes a lovely cup of tea.
Alls well that ends well I suppose.

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great, a full explanation at last!! Thank you. Hopefully the book will arrive this week and i look forward to recieving/reviewing it. Thanks to stephen and chris for the full update and explanations....it is very much appreciated by all us of us doubting thomases!! Thanks again, sarah

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 678
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it yet known when the documentary of this book is going to be on television? Just wondering. Hope it won't be too long to wait for it.

Sarah

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hooray!!! Book recieved today with many thanks. My faith in human nature restored i shall apologise unreservedly for being such a doubting thomas/moaning minnie (especially since chris seems to have had a right old palava with his pc crashing and book shortage!!) and settle down with a nice cup of tea to read my book. Thanks again Casebook (stephen!!) mystery/crisis solved!!! Well done Chris and congrats on getting the book out and once again i apologise for jumping the gun!!! Hopefully everyone else has now also recieved their book too. Have a good weekend all!! sarah

David Knott
Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just returned from Egypt to find my copy waiting for me. Thank goodness for that!
I love the irony of Chris Miles criticising the conclusions reached above by (amongst others) Bob Hinton. Anyone who has read 'From Hell ... The Jack the Ripper Mystery' will know what I mean. I see from the tiny bibliography that Mr Miles has not!
Only had time for a quick flick through, but where is the 'never before analysed document linking Mary Jane Kelly to the killer'?

David

David Knott
Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have now read a bit more and it is clear that the bibliography does not include all the books Mr Miles read in researching his book - it looks like Bob Hinton's book is referred to in the intro.
I note that Mr Miles stresses that he did not use the internet for research - shame that, because if he had then he might have been aware of Bob's discovery that the handwriting of the George Hutchinson born at 43 King David Lane, Shadwell did not match the handwriting of George Hutchinson the Ripper suspect. The forthcoming 'To convict a dead man : The posthumous trial of JTR' should therefore make entertaining reading!

David

Chris Miles
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, it is obvious that David has not fully read my book's introduction -- or has not fully understood it. The brief bibliography was actually a wise decision. Most researchers know that the majority of texts from the past have been extremely misleading, to say the least. Philip Sugden's book and Fido's book were two of the few that I trusted in referring to for research. Thus, my reason for utilising very few texts. Hinton's book -- which I purposely didn't name in the intro (because I don't like the idea of openly criticizing recent books - with the exception of the 'Jack the Ripper Diary')- wasn't listed in the bibliography BECAUSE IT WASN'T USED FOR RESEARCH. If he would re-read my intro, he'll see that I had learned about it two-thirds into my investigation. I finally acquired it purely to ascertain if his theory was similar to mine - obviously, I did not want to promote a theory that was independently acquired but had already been previously proposed to the public. When I realised that - short of having the same suspect - his theory, and much of his evidence, was quite different from what I had uncovered in my own investigation, I was pleasantly surprised (not to mention that I had also uncovered many pieces of circumstantial evidence never analysed or published by anyone in 116 years)
Secondly, my investigation into Hutchinson's birth info and elusive early years is ongoing. However, if in fact the handwriting of the G. Hutchinson born in 43 King David Lane proves not match that of my suspect, common sense should dictate that it makes little or no difference to the evidence accrued against my suspect. Whether my suspect was born in Shadwell or Honolulu makes no difference to the events and evidence in the Ripper case. All of the crucial evidence from my investigation is in direct regard to my suspect, the Whitechapel resident, who had encountered Kelly on the night of her murder. While his place of birth would be interesting icing on the cake, it has absolutely no relevance to the overall validity of the investigation. His actions, whereabouts, physical description, etc. just prior to and during the Ripper murders, which were uncovered and meticulously analysed,are the relevant issues here.
For all who have yet to read the book,I assure you that I have addressed all of this in the introduction. Unfortunately, some people who like to make critiques seem to have selective amnesia.

Chris Miles

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Chris,

Haven't read your book yet (may get it when a bunch of checks I'm expecting come in later) but your suspect has always struck me as an extremely good one. Garry Wroe's ebook here first put a spotlight on him, and I really do wonder how on earth someone who admits trying to spy through MJK's window that night can be ignored so many people.

That being said, I recommend not lashing out at posters who make small negative comments. That kind of behavior generally makes you look bad regardless of how your argument progresses. Save the big guns for any large amount of criticism or outright incorrect statements.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.