Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 29, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » On The Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jack the Ripper (Miles, 2003) » New Release » Archive through January 29, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2892
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On The Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jack the Ripper
Chris Miles, 2003

Casebook review forthcoming... following is the press release:

This is a first-time, never-before-published or analysed theory regarding the identity of Jack the
Ripper -- as well as the 'Greatest Blunder In Police History' -- resulting from a thorough and
gruelling seven-month-long investigation by the author. The investigation uncovered never before
analysed pieces of evidence (ie. why an Irish accent disguise was utilized in the George Lusk letter
and many more eye-popping, fully fact-based revelations), as well as numerous re-analyses of
evidence that had been wrongly dismissed, predominantly overlooked, continuously misinterpreted,
or too cryptic and baffling for 19th century investigators -- and countless since -- to properly utilize.
All of the evidence is meticulously detailed and analysed throughout the book.

The book is a combination of 1) The details and events surrounding my 7-month-long investigation
(methods used, documents uncovered, etc.). 2) A 25-page 'Ripper Chronicles' -- a concise,
objective, fact-based chronicle detailing all of the historical events from A - Z (including some
tid-bits never before acknowledged or realized). This is to re-acquaint those already familiar with
the events, and to enlighten those new-comers to the field. And 3) of course, a thorough and
highly detailed account of all the new evidence and newly analysed evidence -- plus the final
chapter, chapter 8 -- ' I Forward Herewith': The Greatest Blunder In Police History.

ORDERING DETAILS

A) On The Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jack the Ripper by Chris Miles. Published by
Milestone Press, U.K.

B) Paperback, approx. 245 pages. Included are maps, diagrams, documents, endnotes. It is likely
that 2 - 4 sketches will be included -- but I won't be certain until next week.

C) Price: £15.99 plus £6.00 shipping and packing charges. All USA orders should be sent with the
chech equivalent of £15.99 + £6.00 English sterling. *The first 200 customers to order will receive the first edition copy signed by the author (and gift-wrapped only if requested).

* * D) All orders should be made by cheque, postal order, or cash (at their own risk). No credit card orders will be accepted at this time. All cheques and postal orders (£21.99 total) should be made payable to MR. CHRIS MILLIANOS and mailed to:

MR. CHRIS MILLIANOS
c/o MILESTONE PRESS
No. 1
83 ADDISON ROAD
HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
BN3 1TS
ENGLAND

E) This is a limited edition, and is recommended by Dr. Nick Warren, England's foremost expert
in the field..

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note to let everyone know that the author, Chris Miles, has financially sponsored the Casebook for the next seven days, in order to advertise his forthcoming book On the Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jack the Ripper. The first 100 customers receive a SIGNED COPY, and I don't have to tell you how rare and valuable these become down the line!

If you'd like to order your own copy, the ordering information is below for US/UK customers.

ON SALE NOW: On The Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jack the Ripper by Chris Miles
Published by Milestone Press. Paperback, 242 pages - including photos, maps, and sketches.
U.S.A. orders : $25.99 + $16.00 ship.& pack. ($41.99)
U.K. orders: £15.99 + £4.00 sh. & pk. (£19.99)
Make all checks payable to MR. CHRIS MILLIANOS
SEND TO:

Mr. Chris Millianos
c/o Milestone Press
(No. 1)
83 Addison Road
Hove, East Sussex
BN3 1TS
United Kingdom

SOON TO BE A TELEVISION DOCUMENTARY... THE FIRST 100 ORDERS RECEIVED WILL BE SENT A FIRST-EDITION COPY SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR.

A SEVEN-MONTH-LONG INVESTIGATION THAT UNCOVERED THE FOLLOWING:

A NEVER-BEFORE-ANALYSED DOCUMENT LINKING MARY JANE KELLY TO THE KILLER.
DOZENS OF NEVER-BEFORE-PUBLISHED PIECES OF EVIDENCE DIRECTLY CONNECTING AN OBSCURE WHITECHAPEL RESIDENT TO THE HEINOUS MURDERS.
AND - FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 116 YEARS - A NEWLY COMPOSED SKETCH OF THE LEGENDARY WHITECHAPEL KILLER.
For over seven gruelling months, beginning in March of 2000, screenwriter and author, Chris Miles, had gone on the trail of a murderous madman. Unlike other contemporary manhunts, however, Miles. quarry was quite unique - he had been dead for nearly a century.

To successfully track down this most elusive of killers, Chris Miles knew that it would be imperative to, not only seek crucial circumstantial evidence by uncovering records from dust-ridden files - but to understand the very nature of the criminal mind.

What Miles re-discovered along the way, while "bringing back to life" the essence of Victorian Whitechapel, was his personal and lifelong "dossier": his father's intriguing past of bank robbers, gambling "joints", and nightclubs; and his own days in the bar rooms, after hours clubs, motels, and "mean steets" of Manhattan where, shockingly enough - twice - he had crossed paths with women who would be brutally murdered by psychopaths, and a third one he was to save by coming face-to-face with her potential killer.

While peeking through this fascinating and unforgiving window, into the long unknown truth behind the Whitechapel murders, he would not only delve into the forgotten files of the merciless 19th century East End, but into the very mind of the "criminal" - in a relentless quest to uncover the long-unknown identity of history's most legendary monster - Jack the Ripper.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...to understand the very nature of the criminal mind."

>>Come on, now. How would we determine that JtR had "the criminal mind" 115 years down the line? Wouldn't we have to catch him first, sit him down, and ask him to explain himself to us? But even if he did, wouldn't we then get an idea of--surprise--HIS mind?

Saddam

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

I am interested in getting the book, any chance Chris will provide a price in Euro? For those of us in Europe but not in the UK (of which I believe there are several)

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Chris:

All orders coming from outside the U.S./U.K. should exchange currency into pounds sterling via check or cash to the equivalent total of £21.99 (£15.99 plus £6.00 ship. & pack.) .
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Red Claude
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack the Ripper was not some mad criminal, some demented Son of Sam type, and here we go again, another American claiming to have 'identified' Jack. Didn't Ms Cornwell say all this not so long ago in her international hype, with all of her unbeatable previously-overlooked documented evidence? Then she was blown out the water by the dedicated Ripperologists. The identity of the Ripper is so obvious when you look at just what he did (to Eddowes for example) in such a small time span. I won't spoil the fun though, keep theorising.

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The identity of the Ripper is so obvious when you look at just what he did (to Eddowes for example) in such a small time span."

Red,
I agree, let's not tell. But what is the significance of the shortness of the time span?

Bullwinkle

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi....this is a question for chris.......I wonder if anyone can tell me when this book will be sent? I put an order in before xmas and the moneys gone out of my bank but as yet still no book. Any idea when copies will be sent or will there be a wait? cant wait to get my copy!!! many thanks, sarah

chris morley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,sarah i too ordered and paid for this book on the trail of a dead man some weeks ago and as yet nothing i even wrote to the guy chris to check what the delay was and guess what no reply has anyone else who has paid for a copy not received one yet? in fact has anyone actually got a copy if there is a genuine printing delay chris fine but please let us know if the book is coming or not coming out if not then please return our money

Milestone Press
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM MILESTONE PRESS (REGARDING OUR NEW INVESTIGATIVE BOOK, ''ON THE TRAIL OF A DEAD MAN: THE IDENTITY OF JACK THE RIPPER'')--

ALL ORDERS RECEIVED JUST BEFORE AND DURING THE LONG CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR PERIOD ARE ENTITLED TO A SIGNED 1st EDITION COPY OF THE BOOK -- AS THEY ARE WITHIN THE 1st 250 ORDERS LIMIT. THE OFFICES OF MILESTONE PRESS HAVE BEEN CLOSED SINCE SATURDAY, DECEMBER 20th, 2003,AND WILL RE-OPEN ON WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 7th, 2004. OUR FIRST ORDERS WERE RECEIVED ON OR ABOUT DECEMBER 18th, NO DOUBT, BECAUSE OF THE EXTENSIVE POST OFFICE X-MAS BACK-UP. WE DISPATCHED AS MANY BOOKS AS POSSIBLE BEFORE WE CLOSED ON DEC. 20th. BECAUSE OF THE POST OFFICE BACK-UP AND OUR 18-DAY HOLIDAY CLOSING (DEC. 20th - JAn. 7th), MANY OF THE ORDERS HAVE, OBVIOUSLY, NOT BEEN PROCESSED AS OF YET. WE ASK THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOY YET RECEIVED YOUR BOOKS TO REMAIN PATIENT. THE NORMAL DELIVERY EXPECTATION IS BETWEEN 10 - 28 DAYS UPON RECEIPT OF THE ORDER. THIS, OF COURSE, HAS BEEN SLIGHTLY EXTENDED DUE TO THE YULE TIDE SEASON. AS OF WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 7th, ALL PROCESSING OF ORDERS WILL RETURN TO NORMAL. FURTHERMORE, THERE'S NO NEED TO WORRY, THERE ARE STILL OVER 150 BOOKS AVAILABLE WHICH ARE WITHIN THE 250 ORDER LIMIT FOR A COPY SIGNED BY CHRIS MILES, THE AUTHOR/INVESTIGATOR. SO, PLEASE ORDER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE LIMITED OPPORTUNITY TO OWN THIS SOON-TO-BE COLLECTOR'S ITEM.

MAKE ALL CHEQUES (U.K. POSTAL ORDERS ACCEPTED)
PAYABLE TO MR. CHRIS MILLIANOS
(£19.00 - U.K. $41.99 - U.S.A.)
THESE PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING/PACKING, ETC.

SEND TO:

MR. CHRIS MILLIANOS
c/o MILESTONE PRESS
(No.1)
83 ADDISON ROAD
HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
BN3 1TS
UNITED KINGDOM

WE WISH EVERYONE A TERRIFIC NEW YEAR!

THANK YOU,

MILESTONE PRESS

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I warned you.
I wonder whether my Check arrived yet?
He's probably washing tea cups as I type.

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!! Thanks for the update Milestone and for the support chris!! The money was cleared from my account on the 16th dec so it sounds as though mine was also one of the first to arrive before the "FIRST ORDERS WERE RECEIVED ON OR ABOUT DECEMBER 18th" hmmm i hope ours havent gotten lost chris...perhapse we ought to get scotland yard to investigate!!!! I will let everyone know when my copy arrives and if it doesnt and would really appreciate an update on everyone elses orders!!! Im not being impatient i just want to read my book!!!!It was my xmas present to myself (sad i know but there you go!!!) and im looking forward to reading it. Happy new year everyone, all the best & we appreciate the update, sarah

d higgins
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes same here

my money went out on the 19th dec and still no book

has anyone recieved one yet?

proboscis
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this posted elsewhere on the internet. Apparently, at least, the book does seem to EXIST.

Chris Miles
My New Book: On the Trail of a Dead Man: The Identity of Jac
Fri Dec 5 23:40:38 2003

I've included the 'Introduction' of the book, to give a general idea of its contents.

Introduction

It had never been a long-term intention of mine to write this book. The revelation that befell me, which forms the basis of the following chronicle, came quite suddenly and unexpectedly, to say the least. Much like Newton’s apple, it was unplanned yet extraordinarily enlightening. Ironically enough, however, in the autumn of 1998, I’d taken up the task of writing a 118-page feature-film screenplay entitled Season of the Damned. It is a fact-based tale of the Whitechapel murders and their subsequent effect upon the various inhabitants and law enforcers of London’s East End. Adhering entirely to historical fact and reported testimonies, I did my best to create a drama that would avoid the Hollywood clicheìs and stereotypes of the past. I wanted a drama that would both educate and entertain; but most importantly, a drama that would be a thinly disguised indictment of the horrid conditions and squalor in which the inhabitants of Victorian London’s East End were allowed to subsist.
Having undergone several painstaking months of research, I had learned a great deal about the Whitechapel murders and the ensuing repercussions. I didn’t, however, walk away from the project with any strong belief in a particular theory or suspect, and certainly not with any desire to discover or establish any new theory of my own.
I am an American screenwriter who, by the end of ’98, had been living in Brighton, England for well over a year. Since I’d been mildly intrigued by the Ripper legend as a child, and had now been living in England for quite a while, I felt the time was ripe to direct my screenwriting skills towards a new endeavour; one that would not only fulfil a childhood curiosity, but would be a far cry from the urban-American dramas I’d been flooding my Hollywood manager’s desk with for several years. Unfortunately, the ensuing months proved fruitless for the project and I promptly swept it almost entirely out of my mind. Thus, for the next year and a half, I focused all my energies into an independent film venture regarding a biographical script, Seven Days to Valhalla (a drama based on my father’s friends who had executed a daring 1971 bank heist), which I’d written in 1990.
On a sunny Saturday morning of March 11th , 2000, Karen, my wife at the time, suggested that we travel to London for a long overdue, culture-filled weekend. London Bridge and the Tower of London were our target goals, so we reached Victoria Station and boarded a tube train heading east. After four hours of treading around the historical grounds and interiors of the infamous Tower of London, we began chatting with a friendly curator. Before parting, he suggested that we cap off the day’s activities with a nearby detour to the Whitechapel district, and a tour of the Jack the Ripper haunts. Ignoring the tourist-style guided walks, we ventured into this East End district armed only with my slightly faded recollection of the notorious events and locations.
Emerging from the underground, we strolled along Whitechapel Highstreet and into a Bangladeshi wonderland of endless street vendors and local markets. Minutes later and several yards past the Royal London Hospital, we stumbled upon a veritable Victorian shrine, The Blind Beggar’s Pub. After ordering a couple of pints of Guinness from the slightly tipsy but extremely pleasant, middle-aged barmaid, Karen inquired about the local haunts and Ripper paths. We were promptly handed a £2.00 booklet complete with a map of each of the nearby murder sites – an unexpected treasure. The sunny afternoon was quickly fading into twilight as we eagerly made our way along the narrow side streets and alleyways, many of which had barely changed since 1888.
Our two hour excursion into this eerie and archaic realm culminated in the rather gloomy but extremely atmospheric Ten Bells Pub; famous for being the local watering hole of many of the Ripper’s victims and, more likely than not, the Ripper himself. The haunted atmosphere of the dimly lit, dust-covered pub was eventually shattered by an incoming stampede of noisy, enthusiastic American and British tourists. Luckily, our cast iron, candle-lit table was perfectly situated in the corner to avoid the sudden onslaught. After being curiously gazed upon by one or two of the tourists, as if we were a couple of Victorian relics, propped up in the corner for effect, the large gathering slowly dissipated. Soon after, our intriguing London journey had come to a close and we wearily headed home to Brighton.
That rather engaging Saturday in London would shortly prove to be more than just an enjoyable day out on the town. Having rekindled my interest in the Ripper legend, prompting me to re-read one of the books I had acquired two years earlier, I was soon to stumble upon some fascinating and eye-opening evidence. This evidence, regarding a rather obscure individual’s connection to the Whitechapel murders, led me into hundreds of hours and dozens of weeks of investigation – and ultimately, to the proof of the revelation which has compelled me to write this book.
Though having made such a profound claim, I cannot over-emphasize that I am in no way proposing an elaborate or convoluted theory developed in an effort to exploit the world’s unceasing fascination with Jack the Ripper. I have not unearthed any unknown, lost documents or confession letters that had been rotting away in some cobweb-covered London attic. I have not devised a dramatic conspiracy theory or intricate police cover-up. Furthermore, I am not testing your intelligence or gullibility with such offerings as a ‘Royal Connection’, a ‘Maybrick Diary’, or the ‘American Tumblety Connection’ – most of us are well aware that these so-called investigations contain enough holes to rival a large block of Swiss cheese! What I am offering is a series of bits and pieces of evidence that have been available to the public, though some are quite obscure, since the very same year of the ghastly murders. All of the documents, records, and clues I’ve collected can be acquired by any member of the public should he or she undergo the time consuming effort, the unavoidable expenses, and the painstaking research.
Why then, you may ask, have no other researchers come to a similar conclusion from their own rigorous efforts? Surely, a multitude of authors have put forth an enormous amount of time and effort in their investigations. Well, the answer is quite simple. Unlike a great many previous researchers, I quickly discovered that it would be a terrible mistake to blindly follow the dozens of assumptions and so-called ‘truisms,’ which have been passed down from author to author and decade to decade. Though a good deal of false information has been unintentionally passed down, it was also apparent that far too many available texts have been intentionally misleading. It seems much of the erroneous material has been borrowed or fabricated by countless authors purely to substantiate their fantastic theories. Therefore, I knew that it would be imperative to seek out and re-examine only the most basic documents and recorded facts that have been tucked away in the files of institutions such as the London Metropolitan Archives and the Tower Hamlets Local History Library. This would provide the only chance of ever accurately piecing together the age-old puzzle.
However, the actual solution to the mystery came to me, not by purely re-examining the tons of dust-covered archival documents, but by combining those documents with a dozen or so pieces of circumstantial evidence originally detected in 1888, during the Ripper’s onslaught. Though I soon discovered that much of rather cryptic evidence has remained far too ambiguous to be properly utilized, the majority of experts, nonetheless, have considered it to be authentic and directly – as well as indirectly – left behind by Jack the Ripper himself. Unfortunately, the confusion regarding its underlying meaning and its intricate connection to the killer, has continually forced it to be prematurely dismissed, misunderstood, or deemed insignificant by the Victorian detectives – and countless researchers since.
It should have been immediately evident that the meaning of these cryptic clues would never be fully understood as long as the true culprit has never been discovered and thoroughly scrutinized – in order to place his/her background and actions into context with the data. Obviously, the details of hundreds of suspects have never, even remotely, matched with the cryptic clues, or helped to enlighten their meaning, simply because none of these individuals – as we now know – had actually been Jack the Ripper. From the very beginning, I realised that this type of circumstantial evidence is almost as unique to the culprit as are his very fingerprints.
However, after carefully placing my suspect into the context of the fact-based circumstantial evidence I’d accumulated, the results were quite fascinating. Not only had his personal details matched perfectly with the overall data, they promptly proved to unravel all of the previously confusing aspects of the mysterious evidence left behind by the madman. There was now no denying that this savage killer’s identity had always been readily obtainable, but had been unintentionally – and intentionally – ‘camouflaged’ for over eleven decades.
More importantly, it was now clear that this obscure Whitechapel resident had remained exempt from any suspicion, from 1888 till the very day I uncovered the evidence, because he had been labelled a witness – not a suspect – shortly after one of the most gruesome and highly publicized Ripper murders. My initial lead revealed – quite shockingly – that Inspector Abberline had come face-to-face with this very man and had unwittingly overlooked his true involvement, abruptly relegating him to the short-lived rank of key witness. Of course, once the newspapers had followed this path, and decades of subsequent books had reinforced his witness status (if only in brief passages), they inadvertently secured his immunity from suspicion and accusation. We all know that an idea ‘etched in stone’ is very rarely challenged or re-examined, especially when the original hands that held the ‘hammer and chisel’ were those of a well respected, near legendary law enforcer.
Consequently, the investigation had not only uncovered significant evidence of my suspect’s guilt, but had unveiled one of the greatest blunders in police history! Strangely enough, in one fateful, unguarded moment, the entire Jack the Ripper manhunt had been doomed to failure when the police foolishly neglected to investigate a man who – without any exaggeration – should’ve been considered the most suspicious individual in the entire case. For it was now clear that Inspector Abberline and the Met had unwittingly allowed Jack the Ripper to virtually slip between their fingers!

~ ~ ~

Toward the end of my research and ‘detective work’, a completely unexpected scenario occurred. I had telephoned several shops dealing in rare and out of print books, hoping to track down a very hard to find copy of A. F. Neil’s 1932 book, Forty Years of Man-Hunting. I’d learned that Neil had briefly discussed my suspect, in a totally non-incriminating light, within the text. Though I was aware and quite pleased that Neil – or anyone else – had never considered him to be a suspect, I was extremely curious about the possibility of gaining some additional information about this mysterious individual.
While engaged in a long conversation with an American book dealer in rural New Jersey, he casually made reference to a more recent out-of-print book regarding the Whitechapel murderers. I almost fell off my chair when he nonchalantly mentioned the name of the author’s prime suspect. Unbeknownst to the dealer, this was the exact individual whom I assumed hadn’t been suspected by any detective or theorist since 1888. This, of course, shattered my proud belief that I was, in fact, the sole researcher to stumble upon the keys to this person’s guilt. I was now determined to seek out this somewhat hard to find book to ascertain if the theories and evidence were at all similar to mine. After finally reading it, however, I was pleasantly surprised. Except for the fact that our propositions involve the very same suspect – all similarity comes to an end; the author’s theory had undoubtedly taken a completely different direction from mine.
While his book is somewhat thought provoking and well researched, many of his allegations as to the motives of the killer – as well as his interpretations of much of the historical evidence – differ completely from what I have uncovered and propose. Furthermore, he had ultimately leant quite heavily in the direction of presumption. The far-fetched notion that Inspector Abberline and the Met had, immediately after the final murder, been aware of the Ripper’s identity and whereabouts is only one example of this. Another example – equally as far-fetched – is his theory of victim-to-killer blackmail. He proposed that one of the Whitechapel victims was slaughtered because she had fallen afoul of the Ripper when she had learned his identity and threatened him with blackmail. These items are not only misleading, but strongly delve into the fantastic. More surprisingly, however, he had ignored and/or overlooked at least half a dozen crucial pieces of circumstantial evidence that I had discovered during my several weeks of research, which had provided me with substantial knowledge as to the guilt of this individual.

~ ~ ~

Before continuing, it is important to explain the procedures that I had applied to this time consuming and gruelling project. To begin with, quite naturally, I negated the dozens of books that offered nothing more than grandiose theories – created by slick authors looking for short cuts to publishing contracts. With the exception of one or two meticulously researched texts, based mainly on historical records, I had limited my research strictly to copies of original 19th century murder inquests, police statements and news journals. Aware, of course, that some of these items, too, were laden with contemporary prejudices, assumptions, and exaggerations; I disciplined myself to utilize only the purest and most basic value of these documents as chronicles of people who had, in the autumn of 1888, been as close to the Ripper events and/or the Ripper himself, as anybody ever has or ever will. Though extremely aware of the human fallibilities of these individuals, at least, I was now in the position of acting as a detective with most of the same first-hand witness and circumstantial evidence available to the original Whitechapel investigators – free of contamination from decades of misinterpretations and other people’s theories.
Armed with the luxury of hindsight, and a less subjective bird’s eye-view of the series of events from A to Z, I attempted to become an even more effective detective than those originally burdened by the tremendous pressures, ethnic and class prejudices, and lack of 20th century knowledge of serial killer psychoanalysis.
Absorbing this first-hand evidence of witnesses, friends of victims, and physical clues – I was in a position to decide for myself which witnesses were credible or unreliable, which pieces of evidence were authentic or hoaxes, and which suspects were worthy of further investigation or overwhelmingly not guilty. I made it a point to focus on and emphasize what I had found to be crucial to the investigation – yet had originally been overlooked or understated. Likewise, I eliminated or diminished what I found to be misleading and insignificant, yet originally blown out of proportion. Most importantly, I had to discipline myself to question each and every one of my conclusions, no matter how rational or undisputed they might have appeared. In questioning these conclusions as my own ‘devil’s advocate’, I attempted wholeheartedly, and somewhat against human nature, to disprove their viability. Only when the [cuts off here]

probscis
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Based on the above, my money says Mr. Miles's "new" suspect is in fact George Hutchinson. If so, its hardly a new suspect at all. Hinton, Hodgson, Wright, Wroe and Eddleston I believe all have written books in which they claim to believe GH was the Whitechapel slayer.

I could of course be mistaken. Will Mr. Miles please enlighten us?

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 589
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I Agree , it does sound like Hutchinson, I would be disapointed however it if was,I cannot see why this man is suspected at all.
Pimp, stalker, paranoid, for he would have to been to report himself to the lynch mob police at the time.
Richard.

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, proboscis. It certainly does sound like George Hutchinson is the subject of analysis and it will be interesting indeed to see what Chris Miles has unearthed on him and the murders.....IF and WHEN the book ever arrives!!

asha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if Milestone press would contact me on nightwalkwithme@msn.com to arrange a refund as they do not answer posted letter requests for refunds and the book still has not arrived. The money cleared my account dec 16th and its now jan 28th and no book, no communication, no nothing. I would now like my money back and i highly recommend that no one else sends any money to them either.

David Knott
Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Asha,

I think we're all in the same boat here. Perhaps he's still writing. It would be nice if Casebook could tell us what's going on as they advertised the damned thing!

David

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris assured me that books were shipped earlier this month - but like the rest of you, I haven't seen my copy. I've sent him copies of your complaints and have asked for an update on what exactly is going on, but so far have received no reply.

For what its worth, I don't feel there are any shenanigans going on here, though its obvious that customer support is not their strong suit. To those who have not yet received their books, are you in the US or UK? The only possible explanation I can think of is that international shipments were sent surface mail, which might take 6-8 weeks.

Apart from that, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I've not received my copy yet either.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

When you order something off the TV, do you demand an explanation from NBC if you don't get it? Just wondering how far your irrationality goes.

David Knott
Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen - Thanks for the info.
Ally - I like irrationality - although in this instance I just thought that the Casebook administrators were the only people who had actually managed to make any sort of contact with this guy!

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I emailed Chris Miles regarding the above and this was the response that I received.

Dear Mr. Bullock,

Thanks for your comments. Our offices were closed from Saturday, December 20th till January 8th. Any orders that reached us after December 19th were, unfortunately, within our 18 day closing period. Since January 12th, we have been dealing with the Christmas back-up. Normally, we advise that books are dispatched within 10 to 28 days upon receipt of the order. All orders are now being dealt with in this fashion -- and have been since our re-opening.

The good news is that every order, so far, has been within the 250-customer-limit for a first-edition copy, signed by the
author/researcher, Chris Miles; therefore, you do qualify for a signed copy. Once your order (with its corresponding
check/payment) has been verified and processed, it will be dispatched from the warehouse as soon as possible. We do
apologise for the elongated Christmas delay.

Milestone Press had sent a detailed message to the Casebook: JTR Message Board 2 weeks ago, explaining the
aforementioned dispatch scenario. If you haven't already noticed this, please take a look, as it is slightly more detailed than this email.

Sincerely,

Liz Foster
Sales Manager
Milestone Press - U.K.

Peter Sipka
Police Constable
Username: Peter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hinton, Hodgson, Wright, Wroe and Eddleston I believe all have written books in which they claim to believe GH was the Whitechapel slayer.

Though I don't know about the rest of the authors, I know for sure Eddleston didn't write a whole book on GH as a suspect. As he goes over them, he just believes and mentions that GH is one of the best.
His book is in an encyclopedia format.

Peter

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.