Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Lodger (Armchair Theatre: July 25... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Television Programmes » The Lodger (Armchair Theatre: July 25, 1965) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dag
Police Constable
Username: Dag

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On July 25, 1965, the long-running TV drama series Armchair Theatre screened a version of 'The Lodger', starring villainous Charles Gray as the Ripper.

I've managed to track down the TV Times details for this programme:

THE LODGER

by Anthony Skene

BASED ON HIS DRAMATISATION OF THE NOVEL BY MRS BELLOC LOWNDES

Cast in order of appearance

Ellen..........BRENDA BRUCE
Bunting........VICTOR PLATT
Quill..........CHARLES GRAY
Daisy..........ANGELA DOUGLAS
Joe Chandler...STACY DAVIES

STORY EDITOR NORMAN BOGNER
DESIGNED BY PATRICK DOWNING
PRODUCER LEONARD WHITE
DIRECTED BY DON LEAVER

London's East End in the late 19th century was the scene of an outbreak of murders of women, which the police could not solve. Into this atmosphere of unprecedented excitement and fear, Ellen Bunting receives her attractive young stepdaughter on a visit. But Ellen had not reckoned with the reactions of her gentleman-lodger, the enigmatic Mr. Quill.

ABC TELEVISION NETWORK PRODUCTION

Can anyone remember watching this drama?}

(Apologies if this information has been posted here before, but nothing came up when I searched for it.)

David A. Green

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Was that ABC (American Broadcasting Company) or some other ABC or BBC? I was regular TV viewer in America at that time and I don't even remember Armchair Theatre (the spelling of theater makes me think it's a U.K. production). Whichever, thanks for the information. Do you know if the program was live, tape or film; greyscale or color?

I have several movie examples, including Hitchcock's silent film, as well as a 1948 radio version that played on the (CBS Network) Suspense series.

Best wishes,

Stan

David A. Green
Police Constable
Username: Dag

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan

ABC (Associated British Corporation) was a commercial television company broadcasting in the Midlands and the North of England. I think The Avengers was possibly their most celebrated drama series. Armchair Theatre itself ran from 1956-1969. As a young boy I can remember watching many of the later episodes from this series - they were generally highly regarded at the time - but I would only have been 8 or 9 when The Lodger screened, and possibly I wouldn't have been allowed to stay up to watch such macabre fare. I imagine it would have been in black and white, but I can't say for certain.

I first saw it mentioned in an article about British Horror Television in an old copy of Scream Factory magazine, and your post about the CBS radio version reminded me of it.

Sorry, that's all I know. But if I can unearth more information, I'll definitely pass it on to you.

Regards

David

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Thanks for enlightening me on the "other" ABC Network. Is it still operating? Always good to get new information.

Best wishes,

Stan

andy charity
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i recall reading that there is not a surviving copy of this production of the lodger. per stan's questions, in 1965, it would have been in black and white (or monochrome as they say in england), and probably not live but shot on videotape with minimal interruptions in 1 to 2 days. i believe there is a foto from it in the book "the complete jack the ripper".

david, if you google for "the mausoleum club", that would be an excellent place to post a similar query as that is one of the main sites of enthusiasts of old british television and similar matters are discussed there all the time. another excellent place is the missing episodes discussion board- google for "missing episodes" + "thrash"- sorry dunno the url's- very knowledgable people at both those sites, including i suspect many fans of "armchair theatre".

it's interesting to know that there may have been another play of the novel done by anthony skene, as the credits you give suggest. i remember charles gray for his performances as mycroft holmes in the jeremy brett tv series of holmes.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. I said greyscale to try to bridge the b&w/monochrome thing but perhaps I should have said grayscale. You can't win!

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.