Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Radio dramas of JTR Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » Radio dramas of JTR « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have, on CD, the one hour radio version of The Lodger that was first broadcast on the CBS program Suspense on February 14 of 1948. Robert Montgomery stars as Mr. Sleuth in this very good episode.

There were several versions of this story put out on the radio. Does anyone have any information on them or any other radio dramas based on the Jack the Ripper story?

Best wishes,

Stan

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5249
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan, go to http://casebook.org/dissertations/rip-oldtimeradio.html

Robert

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I checked that out and didn't see the program I have so I wondered what else might have been missed. They do mention the earlier Robert Montgomery version but I've been told that the 1948 program was remake and not a rebroadcast.

Best wishes,

Stan

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

There used to be an old-radio website listing all the Suspense programmes. If it still exists, it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

There is also a version of "The Lodger" with Peter Lorre and Agnes Moorehead for Lorre's unfortunately short-lived show "Mystery in the Air".

All the best,
Eduardo

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for that information. With general broadcast radio going back to about 1919, it seems like there should be more than is on record but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Best wishes,

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.