Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

1916 Play - "Who Is He?" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Musicals, Plays and Theatrical Performances » 1916 Play - "Who Is He?" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 4:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this mention today of a 1916 play called "Who Is He?" by one Horace Vachell which is based on story "current for years in England" that Jack was a wealthy, eccentric peer. Anyone known anything about this or about Mr Vachell?
The report is from the Washington Post of 2 April 1916

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 5:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The now-forgotten British author Horace Vachell introduced polo to the Pacific Coast when he relocated to Southern California in 1882. Purchasing a large cattle ranch near Arroyo Grande, which he renamed Tally-Ho, Vachell bred ponies and even socialized in the costume of the sport. His greatest acclaim came from the 1905 novel The Hill, an aristocratic Icarus fable in which the son of a Liverpudlian merchant attends the elite Harrow boarding school, rising to cricket prominence before his evitable downfall and dismissal due to class difference."

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, this was apparently adapted from a novel by Mrs Belloc Lowndes ("Times").

Robert

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

From our previous discussion of a similar report, it seems likely that the elderly multimillionaire peer was the Duke of Bedford, who killed himself in early 1891 (though not at Wimbledon!).

http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4924/6487.html

Chris Phillips

andy charity
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

apologies if i'd posted this here before - i have been looking for this 1916 play, "the lodger or who is he?" for some time. actually, the british museum is willing to make a xerox copy at cost, but it's a little complicated and expensive process to order it from them. if anyone has another lead on any copy of the play, to buy or to read, even in a reference library, i'd be very grateful, or would pay all expenses if someone has it and can make a photocopy. thank you! my email is bbcmacbear@hotmail.com.

Jay Salsberg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHO IS HE aka THE LODGER was, apparently, never printed as a hardback or acting edition. If, indeed, the British Museum has a copy, it will be an original performance manuscript... very rare indeed.
And, the man who directed WHO IS HE and played the title role (in both London and NY) was Lionel Atwill, who would later play a whole host of memorable cinematic villains.

andy charity
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to jay and any other interested parties: i meant to type british library, not british museum. they have a copy of the play in the Lord Chamberlain Collection of Play Manuscripts, under the title Who Is He? Subject to copywright retrictions which have to be checked for an individual title, they will make a xerox and mail it out, i made inquiries about a year ago but did not get all the way to ordering it. the cost would be roughly around $60 or $70 as i recall. if you go the website for the british library and choose one of the email addresses to write to, (i no longer have my old correspondence) i think perhaps the email for the manuscripts dept. (mss?), a librarian will look up the title, as the lord chamberlain collection is not (or wasn't last year) catalogued on the website. in order to eventually fill out the order form for a photocopy you will need to know how many pages it is, which may have to be counted off by hand, and what size of paper this manuscript would need to be copied onto.

this collection is a great source for unpublished english plays in all sorts of genres, as untl 1968 every play on the london stage had to be submitted to the censor to be passed and these copies were then deposited into the british library.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.