Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

McCormick's 1959 JTR book: Month Pub... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Identity of Jack the Ripper, The (McCormick, 1959) » McCormick's 1959 JTR book: Month Published? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,
Can any publishing or collecting expert tell me the exact month in 1959 Donald McCormick's "The Identity of Jack The Ripper" was first released to the public, please?
The Casebook Timeline does not say.
I have tracked down a review in "Books and Bookmen" for October 1959, but would like a more accurate indication.
If no-one can help, any suggestions where I should look? Bearing in mind I'm out here in sunny
Australia.Thanks.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5100
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 6:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, it doesn't come up on a Times search for 59.
Between 58 and 60 McCormick had three books mentioned - a book about the Hellfire Club, a book about Lord Kitchener, and one about Arthur Kavanagh.

Sorry!

Robert

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert,
Believe it or not after posting this thread I discovered a long mislaid note I'd made recording the following concerning McCormick's JTR book:
"Times Literary Suppliment:16 October 1959 page 598.McCormick's book :'Searching and shrewd, ingenious and ably argued ' ".
Now, whilst that gives a rough idea -round about-
I should still like to discover if the book was in the stores before or after this review appeared. In fact, if possible the week it hit the bookshops.
Don't think I'm ungrateful though, Robert.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5104
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, here's the review. It's quite short.

Robert

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all your efforts Robert,
I wonder if some annual bibliography for Great Britain for 1959 might mention the release date?
This is something I would like to know for an article I'm working on.
Any suggestions where to look,Robert? Anybodee?

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, I did not track down a review in BOOKS & BOOKMEN, it was the TLS item Robert located which I was thinking of.
Making a hog of myself, does anyone know if
McCormick's JTR book "THE IDENTITY OF JACK THE RIPPER" was serialised in any London paper in 1959?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5107
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, I've been trying to find Jarrolds website, but all I can find is a department store in Norwich that sells books.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You all ought to ask Stan the Man over on E-Bay.

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I beleive that Jarrold the publishers and Jarrold the book shop, were at one time part of the same company. Jarrolds also used to have a printing works in Norwich as well, but that would be many years ago.

It is probable that Jarrolds publishers were taken over by one of the larger London publishing houses. Perhaps an e mail to Jarrolds in Norwich may help?

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5112
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

Thanks, well I think that may be the only thing left.

But I'm not buying a three piece suite.

Robert

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Folks,
For all your suggestions.Does anyone know a British Librarian from a major library?
They may be able to tell us if there is an annual publication which lists the books published in G.B. in a given year and the release dates.
The idea about contacting Jarrolds in Norwich is
something. Will you do it RCL or will I?
Pardon my ignorance AP but who is Stan The Man on
E-Bay?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, already done it - they've put me on to Random House.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5118
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have received a very helpful reply from Ms Rose, Random House library manager :

Thank you for your enquiry, you have come to the right place.

McCormick was published by Jarrolds on 5th October 1959 (contracted 16th
August 1958).
Rights have reverted to the agent David Higham so they may have some further
information.
Contact them at
David Higham Associates Ltd.
5-8 Lower John Street
Golden Square
London
W1F 9HA

Phone 0207 434 5900
e-mail dha@davidhigham.co.uk

No trace of any Australian dates here but David Higham may have further
details.

So there you go, John. Did you particularly want the Australian date too?

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.