Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through August 10, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Notes » Issue #23 - July 2005 - Ripper Notes » Archive through August 10, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 757
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 5:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

July is here, and you know what that means... We've got another incredible issue of Ripper Notes coming out soon, and I'm here to tell you all about it.

Jane Coram is back on the cover with more of her amazing artwork:

Issue #23 - July 2005 - Ripper Notes

As you can see, our theme this time around is "Suspects & Witnesses," and we approach that topic from a variety of angles. Here's some of what we have in store for you:

•Stewart P. Evans uses his years of police experience to take a detailed look at the witness statement of George Hutchinson.

•Andrew J. Spallek makes a comprehensive case for Montague J. Druitt being the best suspect in the Whitechapel murders.

•Don Souden critically examines the witness statements to see what, if anything, we really have to work with there.

•Tom Wescott introduces us to a brand new suspect named in contemporary reports that you won't find anywhere else.

•Jeffrey Bloomfield explores the meaning behind the stories that Dr. Thomas Neill Cream tried to confess to being Jack the Ripper during his execution.

•Associate Editor Wolf Vanderlinden gives us part one of a two part investigation into Francis Tumblety and what really happened when he jumped bail and escaped from London.

•Des McKenna compares and contrasts the two different stories Tom Slemen has presented so far arguing that Claude Reignier Conder was Jack the Ripper.

We also have a number of other articles (the authors are already listed on the image above) that I don't know yet if they'll all fit into this issue. I'm going to try getting as many of them in as possible, even if it means going longer than our standard 108 pages again, but I'm going to delay announcing what they are about until I know for sure that they will actually make it in.

And then of course we have the always irreverent News & Notes section by yours truly, Wolf's book reviews and newspaper clippings, Jennifer Pegg's reader survey results, the Whitechapel Letterbox and some more goodies here and there.

If you don't already have a subscription you should definitely get on board now and find out for yourself why Casebook readers voted Ripper Notes the highest-ranked Ripper-themed periodical. Just click the website link in my signature to find out how to subscribe.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Matfelon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 5:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Tom Wescott introduces us to a brand new suspect named in contemporary reports that you won't find anywhere else."

I'm dying to know...

btw:

Mr. Norder,

A general question: Do you have a list of available back issues?

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Matfelon,

Well, I could give you the guy's name, but it won't do you any good because he isn't mentioned elsewhere.

Regarding back issues, it's safe to say that July 2004 and later are available (in fact, they seem to be popular sold as a set of four -- kind of an instant retroactive one year subscription), but I don't have too many of the older ones. It's best to email me to be sure you have an updated list. (You can click the email link in my signature or go through to the website and find the alternate address there.)
Dan Norder, Editor

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

Looking forward to getting the issue. Looks as if the issue is a strong one contentswise. Good work. A splendid cover as well. Congratulations.

Best regards

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Dan,

Wolf's article sounds very exciting, and he chose a topic that many of us are hungry to learn more about. It would be something if his article could shed some light on those two mysterious figures who came up with the $1,500 bail money on Nov 16th. You got us on the edge of our seats now. Good looking cover, Jane sure is talented. Joe

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received my first copy of Ripper Notes a day or so ago.Very impressed with its professional appearance and lovely illustration on the front cover by Jane Coram !Looks as though the next issue will be similarly presented if the front cover is anything to go by.
Have only managed to read one article so far,Bernard Brown"s, The Sherlock Holmes of "G" Division.It was a good read and very funny at times
-especially when the coppers and the cab washers had that unexpected punch up !
Natalie

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matfelon,

You show good taste, my friend. My previously undiscovered suspect is some guy named Aaron Kosminski. No one has ever heard of this suspect before. I'm sure the name will be new to everyone reading this. Hope you enjoy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 6:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh-Oh.
OK, if my intuition tells me right, I can expect several things I believe about George Hutchinson and other witness descriptions are going to cop a real slamming in this issue.
Well, I'll be nervously waiting to see!

But seriously, sounds like a great issue coming up once again, and I look forward to receiving it.

Regards,
Adam. :-)

(P.S. Where's all the articles about George Chapman being the Ripper, eh...? ;) )
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

If you were wondering why there were two names on the cover that I didn't mention the articles for, it was I wasn't sure if they'd fit. One didn't (Derek Osborne's, which will be in October), and one did. So let me add another bullet here for the new article:

•Leanne Perry looks at a London institution and a Ripper suspect's connection there in "Joseph Barnett and Old Billingsgate Market."

Oh, and it's also worth noting that Wolf Vanderlinden's "From the Newspaper Morgue" July column covers a number of old news reports about the concept that the Ripper had been locked up in an asylum... but each of them sounds like they are discussing completely different people. If you're a fan of the theory that Jack was insane and captured, you can't miss this.

So that means we cover Hutchinson, Druitt, Tumblety, Cream, Conder, Barnett, all the major witnesses, a bunch of lunatics *and* a totally new suspect. Toss in the News & Notes section, reviews (tackling books about Williams, Chapman/Klosowski and other topics) and other regular features and we've got more solid content between these pages then you can find just about anywhere else. And considering how much I liked the previous issues, I have to say that I think this one is definitely the best one yet.

Those anxiously awaiting their copies only have to wait for the printers and the mail to get them to you -- and, like always, it's pretty hard to predict how long that will be. Soon though.
Dan Norder, Editor

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

Has the July issue of RN actually been sent out yet? If so, when?
Just wondering, since I'm still waiting on both RN and Ripperologist to arrive, which isn't really a problem, but it's just that the mail has been very slow over here lately, and the issues might take longer to arrive.

Cheers,
"...Since then the idea has taken full possession of me, and everything fits in and dovetails so well that I cannot help feeling that this (George Chapman) is the man we struggled so hard to capture fifteen years ago..."

- Inspector Frederick Abberline, March 1903 interview, Pall Mall Gazette .
Hmmm.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 6:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,

I'm expecting them anytime soon!

Jenni

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, mine's on it's way as well. I must admit there's not an article in this issue that I'm NOT very much looking forward to reading. Well, Dan's editorial, of course, but... :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3828
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

I have recently been notified that mine now has been shipped off as well.
So I imagine it will arrive soon.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
yep i posted my lot this afternoon . That means its on its way to you Adam.

As far as I know they are all on there way.

Jenni

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

More than half of the US issues got sent out yesterday already, and the rest of the batch with North American addresses got dropped off at the post office this afternoon. All the ones from Jennifer's group (the UK, continental Europe and the Land Down Under) are making their way as well.

That means all subscriber, contributor (i.e., authors with articles more than six printed pages long and illustrators with multiple or large pieces) and promotional copies have been mailed out now. (Well, OK, someone just subscribed via credit card on the website while I was on my way to the post office... So not that guy's, but everyone else's, yeah.)

If you aren't a subscriber, the Ripper Notes website has the skinny on how to change that.

We're also the only Ripper periodical listed on www.Amazon.com and www.Amazon.co.uk, so it's easy to pick up a sample issue there. July's is already listed and ready to order (though the cover image and description got messed up, I'll have to go fix that). Or if you want to support your local bookstore the ISBN the friendly worker there can punch in is 0-9759129-4-1.

And once everyone reads it, let's do a little poll here... What's your favorite thing (article, illustration, column or whatever) in this issue and why? I'm guessing there'll be a wide range of answers this time.
Dan Norder, Editor

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies to my question, glad to hear that the issues have been sent off - looking forward to receiving mine!

Glenn, you mentioned that your issue has been shipped off - just wondering, when did you become a subscriber to RN?
Last time we talked about that, you didn't subscribe to any Ripper mags! :-)
Anyway, that's good news.

Cheers,

P.S. Dan, will send you an e-mail regarding an article for RN I'm considering.
"...Since then the idea has taken full possession of me, and everything fits in and dovetails so well that I cannot help feeling that this (George Chapman) is the man we struggled so hard to capture fifteen years ago..."

Hmmm.....

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

Well, there is a very easy explanation.

I've actually contributed with three modest pen illustrations (no big deal) - in some kind of 'Illustrated Police News-style' - for Don Souden's article concerning the witness descriptions. (This time I did have a spare week.)
That's why I've received a copy.

But I hope to become a subscriber to both journals as soon as the circumstances allow it.

And by the way: my copy arrived today! Thanks, Dan and Jenni.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 01, 2005)
Sweden

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got my copy today (thanks Jenni) and looks very interesting.

A quick question for Dan or Wolf V if he posts here (or anyone else if they know the answer) - in From the Newspaper Morgue Wentworth Bell Smith's first name is given as Gordon - what is the source for this? I had only ever seen it given as 'G' although I was (and still am) fairly confident that the man in question was actually Henry Wentworth Bellsmith.

David

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cover art, table of contents and sample article ("Suspect and Witness" by Stewart P. Evans) for this issue are now available online at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/rippernotes.2005_july.html
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 811
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

I've sent an email to Wolf about your question to see if we can get that clarified for you.

Dan Norder, Editor

Joanne Simons
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if we are going to have a clash of former british police officers. I see that Stewart Evans has done an article on Hutchinson and his validity as a witness and the flaws in his statement. Trevor Marriott covered this in his book Jack The Ripper The 21st Century Investigation published in April i wonder if they will agree, or agree to disagree. It will be an intersting outcome

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you mean, Joanne?

In spite of the risk of throwing this thread out of subject: What is Marriott's opinion, then?

All the best
Sweden

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joanne,

You only seem to show up on these boards to say something about Mr. Marriott's book and in this latest instance you make a rather tenuous connection between Trevor Marriott and Stewart Evans. Just curiousity, but do you perhaps have a proprietary interest in the Marriott book?

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan - Thanks, that is very kind of you.

David

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 5:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I received my issue of RN in the mail today as well. It didn't take long to get here!
Once again, more brilliant artwork by the very talented Jane Coram greets the reader on the front cover, which is a good opener to what looks, at first glance, like it will be a very interesting issue! Looking forward to getting into it!

Hi Glenn,

Ah, thanks for the explanation, and I'm glad to hear that you're able to get the issue as well!
Those are some pretty good illustrations you did, actually....but just a question....I have a sneaking suspicion that in the close up of Cathy Eddowes and the man with her you drew on page 63, the man has a bit of a resemblance to you, I think.
Is that just a coincidence, or...???

Cheers,

Hmmm.....

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 5:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

Ah, but those pictures are rubbish; I am not as good as in my old days. But thanks anyway.

Resemblance, no, I think absolutely not... well, maybe if you add to him some 26 pounds, put on a potato nose instead of a Mandrake snot, and add some grey hair and a goat beard... No. I can't say I actually look like that guy, and I did not use myself as a model.
Besides, I am never unshaven! :-)

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 04, 2005)
Sweden

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To all Ripper Notes Readers:

I'm only half-way through reading the new issue, and once finished will write my usual rambling review. But I wanted to now draw special attention to the illustrations appearing in Don Souden's article. It may have escaped your attention that those are original pieces done by no other than Glenn Andersson! Personally, I think they kick ass and want to give Glenn mucho props. I truly hope to see more of his work in upcoming issues of Ripper Notes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Regarding the above alleged connection between Trevor Mariott and Stewart Evans, the only comparison that can be drawn is that for many decades now each has successfully, and without fail, converted oxygen to carbon dioxide, thus helping our trees to flourish. Outside of that, one is a well-respected historian whose work will long outlive all of us. The other is a self-promoting hack who makes Chris Miles look modest and dedicated by comparison.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

In all honesty, I have actually been dreading your review and my nails have been pretty much chewed down to very core. I haven't done illustrations in years and I feel quite dusty on it, so those words mean a great deal.
Now I can sleep tonight; I didn't want to let Dan and Don (sounds like a folk duo) down by making a crappy job.

Just one clarification:
The scene with Lawende, Levy and Harris is not meant to be accurate - there simply was too little information to base it on, so I just made a funny little overall scene.
However, regarding the close-up with the sailor guy and Eddowes, as well as the Schwartz street scene and the picture of Pipe man, I have tried to be as accurate as possible.

Still, they are only illustrations, not scientific material.

All the best

P.S. It's not hard to guess who is the noted historian and who is the self-promoting hack... :-)

(Message edited by Glenna on August 04, 2005)
Sweden

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

How right you are about Glenn's drawings. As soon as I started writing the article I began leaning on him to do them and happily he agreed. I hope to continue presuming on friendship to get him to illustrate any future articles I may do (though some critics may pay him NOT TO do any just to keep my pen stilled).

Glenn,

Dan and Don may sound like a folk duo, but on my end, anyway, that would be the only good sound. Let's put it this way: If MJK had a voice like mine when she sang "Only a Violet I Plucked From My Mother's Grave" then her murder, however horrible, would have been justifiable homicide.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 4:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Word back from Wolf on the G. in G. Wentworth Bell Smith being Gordon is that it's something he found quite a few years back, probably during the '80s sometime. Unfortunately he lost some notes in a computer crash a while ago and is currently unable to locate the original reference. He doesn't claim to have identified the original person in question, by the way, just that somewhere there was a source that said the G. was short for Gordon.

Hi Joanne,

I know they come to different conclusions on a variety things just in general. Stewart's article was selected as the one to be featured on this site as a sample for this issue, so it's pretty easy to check it out and look for any differences of opinion on this particular topic: Suspect and Witness - The Police Viewpoint - Stewart P. Evans

Dan Norder, Editor

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for checking that for me Dan.

David

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just took a look at Part One of Wolf's article, and boy I really enjoy his writing style. It flows really well. His previous article (on Annie Chapman's time of death) was a very crisp read, too. He has a terrific technique, and it's nice to read his well-prepared work.

It's quite true when his article stated that the NY World "seemed to have an inside track on almost all of the Tumblety-related news stories." I've noticed that, too. Wolf made a fine point when he raised the question of whether somebody was tipping off this newspaper. He was on target again when he showed the NY Herald as having been on the ball, as well. If the Littlechild suspect is to be seriously looked at, then we should pay strict attention to the Whitechapel articles that these two NY newspapers produced. I'd pay particular attention to the words of the notable people who were exclusively interviewed by either of these two newspapers.

Wolf's article doubted the validity of the news reports which involved Anderson + San Francisco Police Chief Crowley. Those two were supposedly in communication for the purpose of having Tumblety's handwriting sample sent to England because Scotland Yard was "in need of it." I'm glad to see this being openly questioned now. Maybe in the future we'll learn the real reason why this odd cover story found its way into a half a dozen newspapers.

As for the Sandford Conover part, an item of interest to add was that Tumblety wrote about Conover in the doctor's 2nd autobiography published in 1872. Conover wasn't presented in a good light at all, so this 'Colonel Dunham' may have had a little score to settle with Tumblety. Personally, I don't spend much time determining whether or not Conover's account of the uterus jars was authentic. To me it's just not that important. Tumblety may have owned those jars and still not have been the Ripper. He may have been the Ripper and still not have owned those jars. I'd go on to other aspects of his case.

Finally, I was happy to see Wolf address the Euston Station arrest. It was a good idea to display part of the Nov 19th Ottawa Free Press' account of that arrest. That Canadian paper gave a fine depiction of what had happened and how this arrested doctor closely resembled the "gentleman" who was seen with Kelly.

Part Two looks to be a pleasurable read, too. Nice work!

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Along with Andrew Spallek's very good story on Druitt [ Mr. Spallek offers up an interesting reason for the dismissal of Druitt from Valentine's School that deserves its own thread [ hint...hint...]. That being,for those of you who aren't subscribers to the magazine, that Druitt may have been caught re-entering the school past curfew and reprimanded and then possibly released from employment at the school following the Nov. 9th massacre of MJK for yet another sojourn into the bowels of The East End. Even if one dismisses Druitt, Mr. Spallek's scenario is well worth reading and contemplating for those who don't subscribe and have Monty at the top of their suspect list. Very interesting article.

J.B. is well...J.B. His story on Neil Cream follows the trail of handed down lore regarding the alleged [ or are they ? You'll have to read it to find out...] last words of Dr. Cream,once contemplated as a Ripper suspect. More of the same from Jeff Bloomfield.

...saving the homes for the last..Tom Wescott's story on Thomas Jones is another good one from Tom. Jones was the subject of a Manchester Sunday Chronicle story from Oct. 1889, almost one full calendar year after MJK's murder, entitled..."Is Jack The Ripper Found?.

Jones was charged with an assault on a woman named Amanda Ellis,all the while with a second man [ shades of Pipe Man ?] standing by. Jones broke free from momentary detainment to rush through a doorway,locking it behind him.

The only "problem" I have with this story, not that there is ANY problem with what Tom Wescott has written..but,anyway...

Jones fled the scene into a building as stated. Ellis,the victim of the assault [ a pummeling with the possibility of a knifing,as Jones ostensibly had a knife in one hand at the ready...] is able to provide Inspector Mutford with Jones address [ possibly the building in which he scampered into as the article doesn't mention the actual address..] in order to hand over a summons to Jones to appear before the magistrate.

Jones may have been just dumb to admit,as he did, that he was involved with Ellis to the constable, sans Ellis' presence to confirm his identity in front of the constable....after all,she provided the address,correct? To me, it sounds as if he wasn't such a stranger at all.... and dutifully going to court as instructed one week later.

Jones wasn't so dumb in his selection of a legal aide,as J.Banks-Pitman appeared on his behalf....Ellis was a No-Show Jones at the court date on November 2nd. Although his innocence was never proven,the court naturally had to tell Jones that he was free to go, based on Ellis's non-appearance.

A good story by Tom....I was just wondering if any London papers carried a story about this, as it obviously made the Manchester press...Could it have been a trumped up allegation by Ms. Ellis ? No mention of any of the witnesses that assisted her in her surviving the attack are mentioned appearing in court in the article ...Could there have been a "look out", eerily similar to "Pipe Man", helping Jones in this assault? After all,Ms. Ellis' story was taken seriously enough by the original magistrate to order a summons....or was this man a casual observer? Has Tom unearthed yet another person to track down for our enjoyment ?

I haven't read Supe's story or The Wolf's yet...saving that for Sunday. Then its off to read Leeanne's and Mr. McKenna's....and of course,Mr. Evans story.
Great cover by my eternal overseas girlfriend,Jane Coram....and pretty darned good artwork by The English Immigrant Andersson, formerly of Sweden.

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I've actually contributed with three modest pen illustrations (no big deal)"

IMHO, they're tremendous. You are being too modest. I only realized now that they are not of the time period.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 6:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again Glenn,

From my earlier question, thanks for clarifying that. I don't know why I thought that he looked like you, perhaps it was just the moustache, facial expression, or something. Just made me think "Hmmm...he looks a bit like Glenn...".
That just proves how pathetic I am when it comes to art-related things... ;)

Anyway, I've got into the new issue of RN already - haven't read much, but so far, it's very good!

Regards,

Hmmm.....

Joanne Simons
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn you surprise me you are always to the forefront with all the posts on here and your knowledge is first class but you should have really taken the time to read the book then you would be able to comment first hand.

Joanne Simons
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan
i did not set out to make a big issue of the Evans /Marriott saga I merely asked the question as to whether or not they both came to the same conclusion about Hutchinson being a worthy witness or whether his testimony is totally unreliable.Others on here hame made it a bigger issue.One final point in relation to a previous post. Where a contributer suggests the difference between marriott and Evans is that Evans is a respected historian and marriott is a hack i would think if Marriott ever reads this he might reply with something like Historians dont solve murder cases Detectives do !!!!!

Joanne Simons
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And now have i have incurred the wrath of the legendary Mr Rumbellow hmmmmmmmm? First of all the link between Marriot and Evans is not tenuous as you suggest. As to you suggestion that i may have an interest in Marriotts book is untrue. I have read many books.I have also read his book which I found very intersting as i know many others have aslo. It now seems to me that the likes of your good self and other authors/enthusiats seem to resent the fact that another expereienced investigator has come along and has conducted a professional investigation which has now cast a doubt about some of the accepted theories others have sought to rely on for many years. At the end of the day you nor others can conclusively prove your beliefs and suspicions, no more than Marriott can. But through his investigation he does seem to take his suspicions that bit further forward than many others and for this he should be applauded and not maligned.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joanne,

Nope, you haven't incurred the wrath of the legendary Mr. Rumbelow -- you haven't even incurred the wrath of the less-than-legendary Mr. Souden. We share the same first name and are both authors, but that is about as far as it goes. Well that and the fact that Mr. R. is probably more comfortable financially at the moment than Mr. S. and that is why I have yet to buy Mr. M.'s book.

Anyway, if you have no financial or family interest in Trevor Marriott's book then I can only encourage you to leap into the maelstrom and make a few posts on other topics -- worst thing that could happen to you is to be mistaken for a giant in the history of Ripperology.

Don SOUDEN.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joanne,

I just wondered what Marriott's point of view was on Hutchinson. It would be great if you could elaborate and deliver some kind of summary of his ideas. I don't have the financial means to buy a lot of books and therefore mainly use my own common sense when interpreting elements in the Ripper case.

"Where a contributer suggests the difference between marriott and Evans is that Evans is a respected historian and marriott is a hack i would think if Marriott ever reads this he might reply with something like Historians dont solve murder cases Detectives do !!!!!"

Well actually, Evans has spent over 30 years investigating the Ripper case and been in the force as a police officer just as long.
You can actually be BOTH a noted historian/ researcher AND have practical empiric experience. In investigating such old cases, historical knowledge and experience in historical research is just as important as knowledge of criminal investigation methods.

As for Hutchinson's testimony... for those who have studied a lot of witness and suspect interrogations from the 19th century, it is a well known fact that they often are quite unsatisfactory by our modern standards and contains a lot of flaws, holes and loose ends. I have encountered this a number of times -- from where I sit, the sloppy job the police made in connection with Hutchinson's interview, does in no way stand out of the ordinary for its time, although it appear especially clumsy in the context of such an important case.
In my experience, Evan's interpretation of the Hutchinson statement is quite reasonable. Fact remains, that witness interrogations from this time period leaves more questions than answers. Unfortunately.

Joanne, you may have read Marriott, but maybe you should also try to read some suspect and witness interrogations first hand from the late 19th century and early 20th century yourself?
Unfortunately, Hutchinson's is the only one that has remained in the Ripper case in its original, but there are loads of others cases.

If I recall correctly, Marriott is the 'investigator' that also claimed that the piece of Eddowes' apron was not left in Goulston Street by the killer, but in fact by Eddowes herself (in spite of the fact that it was smeared with blood and fecal matter - this he explains by saying she had used it as a menstruation cloth), as well as stating that the merchant theory is a 'new' theory while it in fact is one of the oldest and was discussed already in 1888.
Yeah right -- although I haven't read his book, I am very impressed by these examples of Mr. Marriott's deductions. Hmmm... :-(

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 08, 2005)
Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joanne,

Stewart Evans has spent forty-five years studying the Whitechapel murders; Trevor Marriott has spent eleven. Marriott cites privileged documentation without sourcing it, Evans with Keith Skinner has made all the available archival documentation (Sourcebook, Letters from Hell) available to anybody with a 50 cent library card. Evans has an encyclopediac knowledge of the times, crimes, police, and people while Marriott makes elementary mistakes that skew his theorizing, such as lecturing (according to the BBC, 8 March 2004) that Eddowes and Stride were found within twelve minutes of each other and so therefore more than two murderers had to be involved.

As it stands now, Evans could eat Marriott on a cracker and ask for more, IMO. The good news is that instead of criticizing armchair detectives who "are not prepared to back down when the flaws in the evidence and the theories become apparent" (he has a point there), Mr. Marriott can also prescribe some of his own medicine to himself.

Best,
Dave

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

Indeed indeed. Well put.

---------------------

Sir Robert,

Thanks a million. Much appreciated.
That they were taken for being contemporary is one of the greatest compliments I've received.

All the best
Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

I haven't seen your illustrations in Ripper Notes, but congratulations. I've seen examples of your handiwork here on the boards and have to say that you're a very talented artist. I'm glad to see that you've joined forces with Don.

Good luck with the move to England. I'm envious!

Cheers,
Dave

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joanne,

Read another 20 or so books on the case and THEN see in what esteem you hold ol' Trevor.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

Thanks a lot for the praise.
I just hope they don't take away the attention too much from Don's splendid article, because that was not the intention.

Excuse me for diverging temporarily from the thread here, but looking at your profile pic... are you with a folk group playing Irish stuff? I notice that the guy to the left plays a mandola (?).
I used to play guitar and mandolin in a British-influenced folk rock band.

Yes, I am indeed looking forward to England, but without some good friends there it would have been harder to take such a big step.

As for Marriott's book, I have always been a bit curious about it. Maybe I'll try and get it later as soon as my financial situation allowes me to do so. But a subscription of the two Ripper mags would probably be my first choice.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 08, 2005)
Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

That's the KISS reunion tour. Actually that was taken at my buddy's wedding. I don't play in a band, one of the players took a break so I just ran up there to have my picture taken (note the nearly empty wine glass in my hand).

Back on topic--yes, Don's witness article sounds very interesting, as does the whole issue. I enjoyed Stewart's article and would love to read the rest of the articles, all of which sound like winners. I'm going to have to order a back copy (or just break down and order a sub, I keep forgetting to).

Cheers,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on August 08, 2005)

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

"so I just ran up there to have my picture taken "

Oh, so you're one of those. :-)
Just kidding. Strange though, because you seemed to fit in nicely there; you fit the part of a musician quite well. But I did wonder why you were the only one wearing a suit and tie.

Indeed, there were some good articles, I think. I especially also enjoyed Stewart's piece (enlightening as always) and Wolf's article about Tumblety. To name a few.
And Jane made a good job with the cover as usual; very nice colours (and I am a real sucker for old alleys).
I must say, I also like the format and size of the periodical. That small format (a little bigger than A5) is very handy and neat.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 09, 2005)
Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup, I definitely am one of those :-)

There's no doubt that Wolf put together something good. You will have to let us know about Tom's article, too. Actually every single article listed has me insterested so I'll have to buy it.

Best,
Dave

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

I expect Tom Westcott to deliver a review of the issue soon (well, maybe not of his own piece, but anyway...).
I myself haven't had time to read it all through from cover to cover yet, I must admit, because of the mess I am living in at the moment. But Westcott's is up next.

All the best
Sweden

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

REVIEW: RIPPER NOTES #23, JULY 2005

WARNING: LONG-ASS INTRO: A whole year of Norder Notes. Whodathunkit. Well, I can’t say that editor Dan ‘Don’t hate me because I’m American’ Norder has “done it again”, because, frankly, he’s done more than the usual with this issue. This is hands down the best issue of Ripper Notes ever. And that says a lot, believe me. As most of you know, I’ve been a big supporter and fan of Ripper Notes since way back in the Chris T. George days, through CM DiGrazia’s reign, and now into the present Norder era. Before I get into the review I want to take a few moments to talk about our editor and, in general, the top two Ripper journals. …

Like most, I had my reservations when I heard Dan Norder was taking over Ripper Notes. The main reason for this is that I didn’t know who the hell he was. Did you? He just came out of nowhere and said ‘I’m the new editor of Ripper Notes’. I think this is the reason some see him as cocky…that and the fact that he has a beard…and displays virtually no sense of humor when posting on the boards.Well, a year and five very, very good issues later, I’d say ‘confident’ or ‘capable’ is a more appropriate term. Let’s all be honest, when we saw that first Norder issue (you know, the one with Andy Aliffe on the cover) our jaws dropped because it looked so professional; but at the same time we were congratulating Dan on a great issue, we were thinking ‘ain’t no way he’s gonna be able to keep THIS up’. But he has, and there’s no reason to think he won’t keep it up. In the last year I’ve gotten to know Dan pretty well (as well as one can through instant messages, anyway). Just as I’ve gotten to know Paul Begg. Both are good peeps. And, the great thing, is both have that competitive spirit: each wants to have the best Ripper mag out there. And thank God for that. Why are these journals so important? The future Don Rumbelows and Stewart Evanses and, yes, future Paul Beggs, are in their pages RIGHT NOW (in contrast to this, the future Donald McCormicks, Frank Spierlings, and Trevor Marriotts, may be found through a subscription to Ripperana…assuming you receive your issues). In case you haven’t noticed, most of the Ripper books coming out suck. Of course I still buy them. But it’s a mystery to me why so many people spend $30 on a book by Tony Williams, but don’t subscribe to journals that regularly feature new material from the likes of Stewart Evans, Paul Begg, Wolf Vanderlinden, Jeffrey Bloomfield, Stephen Ryder, Chris Scott, Chris George, and, God bless him, Howard Brown, among many others. Non-subscribers, like David O'Flaherty, are missing the fun. From the perspective of this guy on the fringe, one of the reasons Ripperologist has improved so much in the last year is, undoubtedly, because Norder raised the bar. And, given the collective Ego that is Ripperologist’s editorial staff, I have no doubt they fully intend to raise the bar even higher. And who benefits? Us readers. And I can testify as fact that the editors of both journals listen very closely to their readers. In fact, I’d dare say that both Norder and Begg would like MORE feedback, and not just the usual praise. Tell them what you think, good or bad. Debate the articles. Offer suggestions. Submit your own damn articles. Tell me to screw off and go to hell. It’s all good. In the end, whether you dislike Dan Norder because you think he’s cocky and green, or dislike Paul Begg because…well, pick a reason…these guys are putting out the best Ripper material available, and they’re doing it repeatedly. Even if some crapcakes do manage to find their way between the pages of both journals. And let’s not forget to give props to their co-editors: Chris George, Wolf Vanderlinden, and Eduardo Zinna. OH, and if you think that just because I support the work these guys do and value their friendship and try to make sure that YOU don’t miss out on a good thing, that this makes me some “toadie” swinging from their sacks, you can just go right on ahead and suck the left one.

I hope that didn’t come off as too sappy. I’ll probably be embarrassed later. Anyway, onto a close look at the new ish:

COVER: He put my name on the freaking bottom again. I swear to God, I could discover a photo of a young couple standing in front of an all-too-familiar broken window labeled ‘Joe & Mary in Miller’s Court’, offer it to Dan as an exclusive, and I’d STILL be billed five names under Jennifer Pegg. And all because of my papa’s name. I wonder if Dr. Wynne had this problem with the Freemason journals. Geez. Anyway, another awesome job from Jane Coram. I love the atmosphere she brings to her pieces. I think this may just be the best cover yet. The theme of this issue is Suspects & Witnesses. Now, moving inside…

INTRODUCTION: Remember, that is what Norder calls his ‘editorial’, and where he usually toots his own horn and gets himself into trouble. Ha ha. But not in this issue. Here he gives credit where credit is due…to us contributors! Woo-hoo! Wait, he just mentioned my name…crap, he stuck my article in the back of the mag again, and is making jokes about it. I think the only reason my work doesn’t get buried in the classifieds is because there ARE no classifieds! If I ever do go to a Ripper convention they’ll probably have a separate water fountain for me. What’s up with that.

MONTAGUE JOHN DRUITT: STILL OUR BEST SUSPECT By Andrew J. Spallek: This is Rev. Spallek’s first article, so I’m gonna go pretty easy on him. It reminds me of some of the first stuff I wrote, where I was oozing with enthusiasm and delirious over the discoveries I’d made (blissfully unaware of how many before me had made the same “discoveries”). Spallek’s enthusiasm for his subject made this a very enjoyable read and an admirable first effort. I think the article could have benefited from a little more input from the editor. For instance, McCormack’s fantasy about Albert Bachert’s trip to the police station where he learned that the Ripper had been fished from the Thames is presented here very straightforwardly as fact. If Mr. Spallek is reading this, I encourage him to go out and buy Evans & Skinner’s ‘Letters From Hell’ and read Stewart’s chapter on McCormack. The rest of the article is pretty much a general overview of the case against Druitt. In all, absolutely unconvincing. But it’s been a while since we’ve seen one of these published, and again, I found it a much more enjoyable read than the rather trying Kosminski overview by Rob House in a recent Ripperologist. My advice to the good reverend would be to detach yourself for a while from Druitt and any other suspect and just study all that’s out there about the case and have fun with it. Then, in 2 years, see who, if anyone, you think did it. I’d be very interested in seeing what stuff you come up with for future articles.

SUSPECT & WITNESS – THE POLICE VIEWPOINT By Stewart P. Evans: I know what you’re thinking – ‘who the hell is Stewart P. Evans?’ Well, try as he might, Norder has been unable to procure any submissions from that ‘Holy Trinity’ of Ripperology – David Radka, Scott Nelson, and Mephisto – so, failing that, he just publishes any old hack who sends an article in. In all seriousness, this is a very important article for two reasons: 1) a leading Ripper authority who also happens to be a seasoned cop offers valuable observations on how the Scotland Yard police of Jack’s day took down a witness’ statement versus how it would be done today. This is something that has probably occurred to most of us on some level when reading the materials, but here it’s spelled out in vivid colors. The focus is on George Hutchinson. But what makes this article so valuable is that it zeroes in on what Hutchinson DIDN’T say, whereas most articles and books state that he gave too MUCH information. An awesome read. The second reason this piece is important is that there’s a photo of Stewart from his cop days in blues standing by his squad car looking all serious like Rodney King just flipped him off or something. You just KNOW that Stewart P. got all the babes back in the day. But back to the article, it’s just the first of many in this issue that ALONE would be worth the cover price. If you don’t believe me, it’s available to read for free right here on this site.

JOSEPH BARNETT & OLD BILLINGSGATE MARKET By Leanne Perry: I have mixed feelings about this article. The beginning and end throw disjointed arguments in favor of Barnett being the Ripper, and it’s just too little to have any effect except to be distracting. It didn’t help matters at all when, out of nowhere, Perry writes “In 1981, a psychological profile of the murderer known as Jack the Ripper was created by top FBI experts, who concluded that he was most likely a man who worked at the sort of job in which he could experience destructive fantasies legally”. This came after she theorized that Barnett MIGHT have killed fish as his duties as a fish porter. What she fails to mention is that these same FBI experts concluded that the UNEMPLOYED Kosminski/Cohen, or someone very much like him, was the Ripper. In other words, someone very much unlike Barnett. A move like this makes Perry’s argument for Barnett come off as very sophomoric, which is a shame given that the bulk of the article – a look at the innerworkings of the Billingsgate Fish Market- was full of tidbits pulled from sources I’d never read before. I think Perry’s strongpoint as a writer is her wonderful ability to track down obscure sources and cull valuable information from them, then communicate it effectively through her writing. Her weak points surface whenever she tries to make a case for Barnett. Had Barnett’s candidacy not been the wraparound for this article, and had she fleshed out her work with more research into the Fishmarket, this would have been a great piece. It’s still good, but not great. Bet her next one will be, though.

ON THE TRAIL OF TUMBLETY? INSPECTOR ANDREWS’ TRIP TO TORONTO: PART 1 By Wolf Vanderlinden: Definitely the most controversial article of the issue, and another engrossing, well-written piece by Wolf. The first half of Part 1 looks at the police who were looking at Tumblety; going from London to Canada to the states and back again. One glaring error is made when Wolf tries to make sense of the fact that when it came to the Ripper investigation, Moore was subordinate to Abberline. This confused Wolf because, he claims, Moore outranked Abberline. In fact, Abberline WAS Moore’s superior, before and after the Ripper investigation, so there’s no need for confusion here. Wolf then gets into the meat of the piece in a section called ‘Cracks in the Case Against Tumblety’. He brings forth evidence against Colonel Dunham, the author of the well-known newspaper article that puts Tumblety in possession of a collection of uteri many years before the Ripper crimes. Wolf’s evidence show Dunham to have been a hack reporter not ashamed to twist the truth or invest stories (not to mention identities for himself) in order to get his name into print. In other words, Dunham would have made one hell of a Ripper author. But I digress. Wolf’s evidence against Dunham is compelling and raises serious doubt in the Colonel’s credibility, but still is not solid proof that the story was false. In any event, this story is just that….a story…and would certainly not have consisted of the whole of Scotland Yard’s evidence against Tumblety. In fact, it probably wasn’t even instrumental in their suspicions against him. So, it is not fair for Wolf to say that by exposing Colonel Dunham as a man who led a career of lies he is putting ‘cracks in the case against Tumblety’, even if a few random internet posters cite this one piece evidence as being the most compelling. It’s not hard to forget that we don’t KNOW the reasons why police suspected Tumblety of the murders. We just know they did. If you totally dispose of this article…if it never existed….Tumblety would still be a suspect. Nevertheless, this was probably the most absorbing piece in the issue, and I’m on pins and needles for what Wolf has to offer in Part 2. Yet another piece that, alone, would be worth the price of the issue. And that’s not all…

GALLOWS HUMOR – THE ALLEGED RIPPER CONFESSION OF DR. CREAM By Jeffrey Bloomfield: Okay, so well all know that Neill Cream wasn’t the Ripper (don’t we?). He was in prison in 1888. But we’ve all read about how he supposedly attempted a last minute confession just as the executioner pulled the lever and made him a Pinata. And most of us are aware of the theory that Cream had a doppelganger who served his time while Cream committed the Ripper murders. But did the confession really happen? What’s the REAL story behind the doppelganger theory? Bloomfield tells all here and it makes the THIRD article this issue that I have to say EVERYONE should read. I totally loved it (though I’m not so sure James Berry was as inefficient as Bloomfield believes). Bloomfield is one of the best writers on the case today.

‘LAST SEEN WEARING…’ By Don Souden: Surely this article isn’t ‘all that’. It must be boring, or trite, or just plain useless. No way there could be FOUR kick ass articles in a row. Well, it happened. I’m not sure how to describe this article and do it justice. The best I can do is say it’s a critical examination of the most significant Ripper ‘witnesses’, and draws upon points that I’ve always felt are too often overlooked, for instance the fact that at least some of these witnesses must have suffered from poor vision in a time when eyecare was practically non-existent, and certainly beyond the means of most of them. But it goes deeper than that. The significance of this piece and the reason why EVERY budding Ripperologist should read it, is evidenced in Mr. Spallek’s article where he attempts to coincide the witness descriptions of JTR with Druitt. Another must read. And as I mentioned in an earlier post we are here introduced to the considerable artistic talents of Glenn Andersson. Apparently, he’s a master of the pencil sketch. It’s cool that RN now has two resident artists (Jane Coram being the other) with totally opposite approaches.

THE TALES OF THE ‘TWOS’ By Des McKenna: Here, Des takes a look at the two conflicting Conder theories put forth thus far by Tom Slemen. In other words, we have a really weird guy writing about another really weird guy. And although this article is a vast departure from the others in this issue (it reads more like an on-the-spot report) it is no less interesting. Slemen practically takes full leave of his senses right before your very eyes and we end with him giving a slide-show to a crowded room and offering a photograph of a woman he claims to be THE Mary Kelly. Okay, if you’re out giving lectures on your theory and putting on slide-shows, it’s time to put up or shut up. Publish the book, Slemen. Our curiosity is more than piqued. A good show here from McKenna.

THE RIPPER IN OXFORD STREET? THE CURIOUS CASE OF THOMAS JONES By Tom ‘Get to the back of the bus’ Wescott: Obviously, it goes without saying that this is the be-all end-all of Ripper writings. Writers will tear it apart and analyze it for years, attempting in vain to emulate my prose. Most people don’t have the balls to review their own stuff. I do. Besides, if I don’t, no one else will. Dammit, I’m pissed at Wolf and Bloomfield and Stewart and Don for showing me up here. Against their articles mine’s just ho-hum. In an issue of Ripperana this would read like Pulitzer material, but here it’s just filler. And Norder freaking mentions that I’m writing a book again. Ugh. You people are gonna turn me into another Slemen, only I can’t even score a picture of Ally Reinecke let alone Mary Kelly. Anyway, Thomas Jones is a contemporary suspect never before heard of by you…until now.

FROM THE NEWSPAPER MORGUE By Wolf Vanderlinden: Anyone reading my reviews of Ripper Notes knows that I’ve given Wolf quite a time over his lackluster ‘Morgue’ entries. The earlier ones read like a poor man’s ‘Press Trawl’. Well, this one blows them all to hell (including Scott’s own recent ‘Press Trawl’ offerings on Sir John Williams). He looks at a bunch of articles about Ripper suspects in lunatic asylums, and introduces us to never-before-seen suspects. Screw you, Vanderlinden, that was supposed to be my gig this issue. You just can’t give me an inch, can ya, buddy! Well, in what’s becoming typical Wolf fashion, he turns in another enthralling read that is positively crucial to the Ripper enthusiast. I know I’m beginning to sound one-note here, but it’s not my fault. This issue is really that good.

Loretta Lay advertisement: Get a load of her copy of A-Z. The book is written by Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and Keith Skinner. Her copy is autographed by Paul Begg, Martin Fido, and DONALD RUMBELOW! Now that’s classic.

THE INQUEST: The topic this time was Mary Kelly. I could go off and say this was a total waste of pages, but then Jennifer Pegg would just get all pissy and ignore me, so I won’t say that. Great job, Jenn. Keep it up.

NEWS & NOTES: A rather strange obituary for Paul Feldman. I would have preferred to have seen this written by someone who personally knew him. Shame he’s gone. This is followed by yet more Ripper plays, and Dan Norder enthusing over that play with puppets. Norder writes, ‘Got to love those puppets’. Not surprising coming from a guy who allegedly pulls the strings of so many others. Following this, the guy who played Jack in Star Trek died; BTK admits guilt (big scoop there, Dan!) and a mention of the band Spitalfield who thinks that’s a town outside of London. Why this is in here I don’t know since Ripperologist covered this many months ago. After this is the usual news about the usual upcoming books.

THE BOOKCASE: Jack the Ripper (previously ‘Mammoth Book of…’) – Good. Uncle Jack – Bad. The American Murders of JTR – Crap. Will the Real Mary Kelly…? – Recommended. Ripperologist #59…Dan doesn’t like this issue. Ha ha. Big shocker there. Actually, a lot of what he says jives with my review of the issue, particularly in relation to the Joe Chetcuti Tumblety piece. But one item I will take issue with is Dan’s bashing the Rip for having Goulston Street articles in 3 consecutive issues. Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with that at all. Ripper Notes had Carrie Brown going for three consecutive issues (granted, Norder was only editor for the last one) so why can’t the Rip have their graffiti? However, I will say that if you’re going to do that, each piece has to be strong. My opinion of the Brown/Bell piece is on record, but here Dan Norder skims past it to chastise the Rip editors for his ‘Post-Graffiti Stress Disorder’, so we really don’t know what he thought of the article. We DO know what he thought of Chris Scott’s lackluster Sir William tribute ‘Press Trawl’. He thought it sucked. And Norder is clearly disturbed by the Rip’s choice to publish message board posts in lieu of letters and e-mails. Overall, he felt it wasn’t a good issue. But he DID like the first 3 issues (pilot, #1 and #2) of the Whitechapel Society 1888 Journal. Here Dan and I disagree again. He liked issue 2 the best, whereas I enjoyed the first two the most due to Andy Parlour’s outstanding two-parter. But Dan and I DO both agree that it’s a journal worthy of everyone’s attention.

WHITECHAPEL LETTERBOX: I suppose we can take it for granted that Norder received this letter from Judy Janes by post or e-mail and that he certainly didn’t….horror of horrors…cull it from a message board! Janes congrats Norder on a job well done and scratches her head over why the big meanies at Rip gave Dan such a bad write-up for his ‘newspaper’ issue with the Norman Hastings reprint. Dan responds politely, whippin’ out that trumpet and goin’ Satchmo on her azz by pointing out that Casebook readers have voted Ripper Notes the best over all other periodicals (4 ½ stars). I wasn’t aware the Casebook still HAD polls.

Again, let me say that this was a superb issue. I warn him now to print a lot of extra copies because this will be a big ‘back issue’ seller, and I dare Dan to top this one. I received my new issue of Ripperologist yesterday and have read some of it but still have much to go. No new pictures of Howard Brown in this issue either. Bummer.
Sorry if this review was boring. Just not much to say except compliments all around. If Ripperana puts out another issue (and sends me another one – you never know when Nick Warren might make a friend, and this friend will own a computer, and Nick will see what I’ve written about his mag) I might just decide to do another review. I stopped because I realized in order to offer an honest review of their last issue I’d have to break every term of service rule and would probably get banned from the Casebook, and with no guarantee that Tee or Howard Brown could bail me out. A magazine that repeatedly spells ‘Goulston’ as ‘Goulsdon’ and credits the late Paul Feldman with owning spas is NOT worth a ban. But, what the hell, I’m all for pushing the envelope, so I’ll be looking for that tiny little skinny envelope with the skull and crossbones sticker. In the meantime, I’m gonna go read the latest issue of Stokerologist, and I’ll meet you back here soon. In the meantime, whip out your Visa and go to www.rippernotes.com and get yourself a subscription. Hear me David O? That means you, ya damn procrastinator. And I would especially like to encourage people whose surnames start with X, Y, and Z to submit your hearts out so my name's not always dropping off the bottom of the damn cover.

(up) Yours…truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Ha ha. I stole that from Scott Nelson (or Mephisto, can’t remember which) and don’t feel bad about it at all.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.