Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Interview with Tony Williams, author ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Uncle Jack (Williams, 2005) » Interview with Tony Williams, author of "Uncle Jack" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3243
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A brief interview with Tony Williams, author of the recent book Uncle Jack, can be found on the Casebook at:

http://www.casebook.org/authors/interviews/int-tw.html
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen

Thank you for posting this interview.

Is there any mechanism by which relevant information could be forwarded to Mr Williams?

I think at least he should be told that he is wrong about Jonathan Davies, as the man he found at Brymbo in 1881 was still living in 1901:
http://casebook.org/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=4925&post=127713#POST127713

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I still fail to see what exactly the knife would be tested for?

Anyone know what Williams has in mind?

Jenni

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

In mind? Publicity no doubt.

What I find most interesting about the interview is that he seems to make a few claims without really doing research to see if they make sense.

Getting confused on which Davies he found is probably excusable. Assuming that someone named "Mary Anne Nichols" has to "very specifically" be Mary Ann Nichols based solely on the name and no other research is less so. But talking like he's really going to get the police to reopen the Ripper case after all these years so that they can force testing on the knife is really out there.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni

There is an interview with Tony Williams and his co-author Humphrey Price upcoming in Ripperologist 59 as well. In the interview we are publishing, I have to say that the authors do not make it entirely clear what they hope to achieve by suggesting DNA testing of the knife. One of our questions was what could be used to test any DNA on the knife against, given what we know, that it is probable that the question is moot about there being any victims' remains intact or uncontaminated. While they had no real answer to this question, the authors indicated that they felt they ought to urge such testing of the knife, that it would be negligent not to do so, just as they thought testing should be done of the medical slides that were with the knife.

Best regards

Chris George

(Message edited by ChrisG on May 16, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan

Getting confused on which Davies he found is probably excusable. Assuming that someone named "Mary Anne Nichols" has to "very specifically" be Mary Ann Nichols based solely on the name and no other research is less so.

I just think some kinds of research are so easy to do through the Internet these days that stuff like this really isn't excusable (if it ever was).

It takes only a few seconds to find that in 1881 there were 22 women named Mary Ann Nichols living in London alone.

Equally, on the Jonathan Davies question, presumably he is claiming this backs up his "identification" of Mary Kelly, so it's a matter of some importance. So I think he'd be culpable for failing to check whether the man did in fact survive the 1880s even if it were still a question of looking through the census returns on microfilm. As he can be found in 1901 with only a few clicks of the mouse, I can't see what excuse there is, if he's actually going to take people's money for his book.

Actually, I've never understood why there's no legal constraint on what can be passed off as non-fiction - so much of it is demonstrable nonsense these days.

Chris Phillips

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris (Phillips),

I'm sure you're right that I was being too lenient on the guy. I guess I was comparing his mistakes and faulty logic to that of other books in the field, where this is sadly all too common.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody,

I mean several things strike me on this DNA thing,

#1 I don't know how viable DNA testing is on an object that is 110 plus years old and has not been in clinical conditions. How many people have contaminated it? Lots I would think.
#2 Compare the DNA to what? If DNA can be extracted what is there to compare it too? No DNA samples of the victims exist. Yes we know where there remains are, personally I wouldn't advocate digging them up on the basis of this book. Even then, we don't know what conditions the remains would be in. how would we know we had the right body. I would think several were buried in pauper graves right?
#3 possibly we might be able to compare DNA to relatives which exist. We know of some Eddowes and Chapman relatives (or at least we know the people who know) Nichols had family. Kelly definitely didn't have family at least not that we can say for certain was hers. I don't know about Stride.
#4 Even if we can get that entire DNA AND eliminate it (which after reading the book is what I think would happen) that still would not disprove that Sir John Williams is innocent.

So what is the point?

As for the slides, again what are we testing them for? To see if it is Uterus, well that would hardly be an astounding fact considering the guy was an obstetrician

Jenni

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is simple.
You mention Jack the Ripper you make a bit of money.
You mention Jack the Ripper and DNA you make loads of money.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

But talking like he's really going to get the police to reopen the Ripper case after all these years so that they can force testing on the knife is really out there.

Spot on. I never understand why anyone would think the police here in the UK have the time or the budget for this kind of stuff.

It will always depend on bagloads of private money, and even then we can depend on any results being hotly disputed.

Love,

Caz
X

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

but it doesn't make sense!!

Jenni
"Stay away from that trap door,
Cos' there's somethin' down there"

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

Quite right -- it sells books. At the very least it will make your book the topic of conversation in the world beyond these boards and that can mean sales.

I would suspect the very last thing the author would want would be a full range of DNA tests. But to call for the tests, to start a clamor for tests the authorities are not going to want to be bothered (or billed) to do -- now that is a Ka-ching! thing.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But the tests dont make sense!

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great line , A.P.... seriously,a great line.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don
for that very reason I've a good mind to retitle the 'Myth' when I publish the new and revised edition later this year as:

'DNA Jack and the Forensic Myth'.

That should sell.

Jennifer
nothing ever made sense in the world of JtR publishing.
Accept that as a golden rule.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fair enough - but whats the point of calling for it then!!

geez weird book!

(Message edited by jdpegg on May 17, 2005)

Liza
Police Constable
Username: Liza

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK folks
Think of a suspect.............
was he in Whitechapel?
well he might have been.
Did he know MJK?
well he mentioned a Mary
So
It's SO SIMPLE!!!!!
He WAs Jack the Ripper
CASE CLOSED (OK been used before - um - Case solved?!)
Think I'll have to write a book, should pay my mortgage off...
so who was it?
I know ..........
My long lost Uncle Fred!
well he did know someone called Mary, he once had a curry in Brick Lane, he owned a 6 inch knife (he used to trim his nails with) but better still!!!!!!
he had his appendix taken out in London!
So he WAS the Ripper!
So who wants to put up the money so I can write this best seller?
Please folks, if people are going to write books, they must do in-depth research that can be verified.

Liza
Police Constable

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So here is a picture of him!
and yes, his name was JACK

I'm a failure!

Actually I have a pic of him but I've no idea how to put it on this message board!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4402
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liza, you just said his name was Fred. I'm beginning to think there's something fishy about your theory....

Robert

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liza,

How true, how true. But you had better be careful because the researchers on these boards might quickly prove "Uncle Fred" was actually having an appendix transplant in Aberdeen at the time you said he was in London having it out. And these days you really MUST have a diary -- the more torn-out pages the better it seems.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Liza
Police Constable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what his friends called him!
Fishy, yes
bit like a kipper!

Liza
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donald
Yes the torn out pages are interesting!
They, of course, disclosed the time his appendix burst!

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about this fish business, could be Joe's old cod again, but I do find everything a bit slender, almost sylph-like in fact.

Liza
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a serious note, at the begining of July I'm going to Denbigh, I thought a quick look around the graveyards/parish records might be illuminating!

Jeff Leahy
Inspector
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

I'm afraid I havn't followed this whole thread but I beleive if you talk to Neil Sheldon you will discover living relatives for all the victims but Kelly.

I gather from the Rominov DNA identification, that using relatives can be problamatic.

If you could get DNA from a knife (which I very much doubt) tests from the relatives could give you an interesting comparison but not exact matches.

Had the same problems with bones recovered from the Gaul.....people still disputing some of the results. There we had four sets of bones taken from the Trawler at the bottom of the Barrent sea and matched to direct decendants...one match was only 1-100 probability. Direct descendants.

What would be the odds three or four generations removed?

Just a thought

Jeff

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP

Knew there'd a 'plaice' for us on this thread...Jack the kipper no doubt! (groan!)

Ok lets stick to the brandy at sick squid a bottle...hey off to Spain in July for a fortnight...... will strap a case to a canoe and write Portsmouth on it!!!

Suzi x

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi

Not the jack the Kipper joke please...

I did however lissen to the authour of Uncle Jack on LBC radio this morning....

All he seems to be claiming is his uncle worked in whitechappel as a doctor in 1888.

He appears to have been doing illeagal abortions.

The pages of the diary relating to this period have been torn out (very damning, perhaps he could employ Mike Barrett to rewrite them for him)

That in a letter he states he was perforing an abortion on a Mary Anne Nichol's the day of her death. (if this is true it is more interesting).

That a knife and three slides exist in a wales museum. That have....drum roll...blood on them.

Apparently his publisher was the co author and an eldrely relative who new Uncle Jack is refusing to talk to him...he has my sympathy.

Jeff

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

its Tony Williams first cousin five times removed i feel sorry for. Having had the pleasure of reading the book.

However, to give the guy credit, i dont think he states John was performing an abortion on nichols the day of her death,

That said i understand relatively little of this book.

one day i'll read it again!

Jenni

ps since i own a copy!

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Carolyn

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

Being here in the states I didn't hear the interview.

Is the relative not talking to him because he feels the author lied or not talking to him because he aired the family's "dirty laundry"?

Just wondering if a reason was given.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carolyn

From what I gathered he is saying that the family are not talking to him because he is airing the family laundry in public.

However that said the author was not very eliquant. What came across is that this relative was 'unhappy'. He would have been young when he new Uncle Jack, twelve i gathered.

The peresenter James Obrian was bigging up the book but he is pretty useless. You should be able to access LBC talk radio online in the States. I know its a bit late now...and to be honest you didnt miss much.

Jenni I may have got the day wrong but I'm sure he said he had a letter conecting Mary anne Nichols to an abortion.

Jeff

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply, I was just wondering what the family thought about all of this.

Carolyn

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carolyn and Jeff

From what I can understand, there is some thought that Sir John Williams's missing pages from his 1888 diary as well as various other papers may be missing because they may have been destroyed by his widow to hide evidence of an extramarital affair. Not for the reason the authors are implying, i.e., that he was implicated in the Whitechapel murders.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carolyn

The family's reaction is also mentioned in the interview on this site:

[SPR] What has been the general reaction amongst members of the Williams family, after the release of "Uncle Jack"?

TW: My brother and mother thought I was writing about Sir John's achievements so they were helpful with any questions I had. When the book was published my mother was surprised and my brother, who was close to my gran, is not happy. My father doesn't agree with the book, he feels that family matters should be kept in the family.

By the way, isn't the suggestion that Williams was treating women who had been injured by botched illegal abortions, not that he was carrying out illegal abortions himself?

Chris Phillips

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Sorry I missed that one. I have got to read things more carefully. I guess I need to invest in reams of paper so I can print this stuff out and pay more attention!!!! I am from the "old school" of reading printed pages.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
yes as i understand it that is the suggestion.

Jenni

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

has anyone else read this, or am i the saddest person on the boards!!?

Debra J. Arif
Sergeant
Username: Dj

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read bits of it Jenni, courtesy of good old WH Smiths!...I was interested in his MJK research, but there wasn't much of it!
Debra

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE READ IT AND SO HAS jEN AND SO HAVE A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE WITH SERIOUSLY LISTENABLE COMMENTS.......cOME ON...........how DID THIS GET PUBLISHED? WHEN THERES A LOT OF PEOPLE WITH A LOT TO SAY WHO ARE TURNED DOWN?

sUZI
(oH gOD HAD CAPS lock on but cant be bothered to go back cos am going out! ):-)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

new suspect I guess, tedious relationship. come on everybody hunt down those first cousins five times removed!

Jenni

James Jeffrey Paul
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi:

I'm not a Welsham, I'm not a Yid,
Nor yet a foreign skipper,
But I'm your own light-hearted friend,
Yours truly Jack the Kipper!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.