Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jack the Ripper: Murder, Mystery and Intrigue in London's East End (McNicoll, 2005) » New Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack the Ripper: Murder Mystery And Intrigue in London's East End
Susan McNicoll
Altitude Publishing, 2005

The author was kind enough to send an image of the cover. I'm told this is non-fiction.

The book itself has just been published and will be available in Canadian bookstores within 2-3 weeks. Amazon.com and Chapters online retailers are both stocking this book.

More to come soon...

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh I hope it's a good one!

Looking at the cover, who would have thought JTR was Harry Secombe in similar guise to the Beadle in 'Oliver!'?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 4:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
One obviously can not judge a publication without reading it, but I can not get to enthused by the cover, as it looks irrelevant to any factual murder location also the man portrayed looks like a certain liverpool cotton merchant.
There is one more personal point.
The majority of books that come on the market in recent times all seem to be repetitive, we have a third of the book discussing Victorian social conditions, political points etc, followed by the murders themselves which everbody who followes True crime is fully aware of, and in the vast amount of cases a list of known suspects which the author discusses and gives a opinion.
Very few actually get down to actually naming a suspect and researching accordingly.
I feel the main exception was Bob Hintons 'From Hell'who produced a original in Hutchinson and the build up was Hitchcock style.
All my own opinion and no wish to degrade any authors obvious talents and hard work.
Regards Richard.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This book is smallish in size and page count (roughly the same or smaller then the January issue of Ripper Notes, for those who have that for comparison) and is apparently meant for those people who are interested enough in the case to pick up a small book with a general overview but not enough to wade through a larger, denser book.

Looking at what's out there now, that's probably a good thing. I don't think there's anything else that size that isn't aimed at children or doesn't have some ridiculous suspect to push.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan.

Not true. It is not so easy to come by any more, but Philip Sugden wrote THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF JACK THE RIPPER which is a hardback only a few inches in size and is a brief digest of his opus magna. There's at least one copy for sale on eBay right now and it's a little gem.

There is also a Pitkin guide which is newish on the market which I think is just called JACK THE RIPPER. Can't find my copy right now. It is glossy and very photographic but, although it is not error free, it is also a good one for the casual browser.

Bestest
PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

I doubt someone with only casual interest in the case (which is basically the target market for this book) is willing to track down an out of print book or pay to have one imported into the US or Canada.

If the Pitkin guide were readily available for a reasonable price on this side of the pond I would agree that would be a good option. Unfortunately many of the titles released in the UK are not distributed in North America.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3229
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't judge this book by its cover.

From the outside, Jack the Ripper: Murder, Mystery and Intrigue in London's East End looks like the kind of book you'd pick up in the "young adult" section of a bookstore, but don't let that turn you off. Although short (about 120 pages) and printed in a large typeface, this may well be the best short overview of the Ripper crimes yet published. McNicoll covers the basic details of all five canonical murders, as well as those of Tabram, McKenzie and Coles. Illustrative snippets are included from authors such as Jack London, George Bernard Shaw and others who surveyed the social conditions of the Victorian East End. McNicoll also makes extensive use of contemporary press reports to further illustrate the text.

The final chapter (actually the "Epilogue") covers a wide array of suspects including Lewis Carroll, Walter Sickert, the Royal Conspiracy, Montague John Druitt, James Maybrick and Joseph Barnett. The author believes it is "highly unlikely that we will ever know for sure the identity of Jack the Ripper," but suggests that of all the suspects named to date, George Chapman and Francis Tumblety seem to be best of a poor bunch.

Well-written and meticulously researched, Susan McNicoll's Jack the Ripper is an excellent alternative for readers who want to learn more about Jack the Ripper but don't necessarily want to pick up a full-fledged, 300+ page book on the murders. Although experienced Ripperologists would probably not find much new information here, I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a basic introduction to the case.

(Message edited by admin on April 25, 2005)
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a good book I can recommend to my Sharkey-reading friends!

Ms. McNicoll is a Canadian writer. Federation of BC Writers has a brief biography. Looks like she also has a background in technical writing. The Theatre book sounds cool.

Cheers,
Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.