Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jack the Ripper: 150 Suspects (CJ Morley, 2004) » New Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Christopher Morley:

I have been busy over the past months, putting the finishing touches to my second book, Jack The Ripper - 150 Suspects.(the title is self-explanatory).On this occasion the book has been professionally printed and bound, and will be made available to those interested, within the next few weeks. The book is limited to 100 copies, and I currently have already taken some pre-orders. Anyone interested in securing a copy of this limited title may do so via my e-mail - christopherjmorley@hotmail.com . I will contact everyone concerned as soon as the book becomes available with full details, cost, etc.

Best Regards, Christopher.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Morley to Stan Russo: "I'll see your hand and raise you 80!" :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3184
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just arrived today. Though self-published, the book has a proper binding and has a much nicer overall impression that Morley's earlier work, Eliminating the Suspects. A5 paper (same size as Ripperana). It doesn't have page numbers but I would estimate it at around 180-200 pages total. No illustrations, and a rudimentary index at the back which is really more of a table of contents.

Will review the book more in-depth this week.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3187
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack the Ripper: 150 Suspects
Christopher J. Morley
Ashley Press, 2004
Softcover, About 180 pages. Index.

This is Morley’s second Ripper book to be published this year, and in many ways its more a revised and extended edition of Jack the Ripper: Eliminating the Suspects, than it is a new and separate entity. The introduction, dedication and organization of the two books are similar (though not identical), but the most obvious difference between the two is the production quality. Whereas Morley’s previous work had no binding to speak of, and was printed on only one side of every sheet of paper, Jack the Ripper: 150 Suspects is a proper, bound book with glossy soft-covers, very much professionally put together.

Content-wise, 150 Suspects again surpasses its predecessor. More suspects are covered (the previous book covered 130), and many suspect entries seem to be more substantial than in his previous offering. The text is more readable, but still far too many errors in grammar and spelling are allowed in the final edit – which is a great shame, because it detracts from what is otherwise a fascinating suspect overview.

Many names held within will be new to even the most ardent Ripperologist – people like Oliver Matthews, John Murphy, Joseph Denny, Douglas Cow, Jack Irwin, Edward Quinn and James Shaw, all of whom, at one time or another, fell under suspicion. Detailed descriptions are offered for most suspects, though a few are given only a cursory examination of just 2-3 sentences.

Christopher Morley has obviously put a great deal of time and research into Jack the Ripper: 150 Suspects, poring through published Ripper books, contemporary news accounts and, apparently, the latest research published in Ripper periodicals and on the Internet. It is an altogether stronger and more substantial piece than his previous offering, and dedicated enthusiasts would likely find many new nuggets of information on some of the lesser-known suspects. Unfortunately the writing style often makes it very difficult to follow – sentence fragments, irregular capitalization and punctuation, misspellings and numerous grammatical errors mar what might otherwise have been an extremely successful independent publication.

Limited to 100 copies. Available directly from the author – please email christopherjmorley@hotmail.com for more information.

Peter Robson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just recieved a copy of Christopher Morley's book JTR 150 Suspects, and would like to say what an excellent, and interesting read. It's nice to see somebody new entering the Ripper field, with fresh ideas and opinion's. Congratulations Mr Morley.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter and Stephen,

This question is bound to come up, so which of the two books would you most recommend - Morley or Russo? These 'new suspects' that Morley is covering: are these people who were questioned but cleared at the time of the killings? What I'm asking is, does Morley include suspects who have been exonerated beyond doubt (i.e. Pizer), because, if so, they're not suspects.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3190
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom -

A large number of the suspects covered in Morley's books were people who either made false confessions at the time, or were briefly suspected by the police (or neighbors/family) and later cleared. Whether or not they can genuinely be labeled as "suspects" is of course open to interpretation, but they all remain interesting characters forever intertwined with the Ripper story.

As far as which book I would recommend between Russo and Morley... I would probably recommend Stan's book over Christopher's, though each book has their own unique strengths. Stan covered fewer suspects, but each one is covered in much greater depth. Stan's book also provides sources after each entry, as well as a comprehensive index (not to mention the fact that it is a more handsome product, being professionally bound with an illustrated cover).

I think both books suffer quite a bit in terms of writing style and readability, but of the two Russo is probably the more fulfilling read.

That said, I did thoroughly enjoy reading about some of the more peripheral Ripper suspects presented in Morley's book. Its not everyone's cup of tea, but those who enjoy these little under-reported tangents of Ripperology (and I'm one of them) would probably consider Morley a worthy purchase.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Thank you for that advice. Although I'm admittedly a layman, I thought Stan Russo's book was rather well-written, so I'm not sure I agree it suffers in that department. It's weakness, if there is one, is in the factual errors that creep through.
As for Morley's book, is there NEW information relating to suspects that are of interest (i.e. not ones making false confessions)? I'm not a collector, per se (though I must have close to 100 books relating to the Ripper or East End), as I buy for the information. Would you recommend it along these lines? I already have Stan's book, and will no doubt find it a handy reference, but if Morley's book can offer something more, than I'd want to pick it up as well.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.