Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jekyll and Hyde Dramatized Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » Jekyll and Hyde Dramatized « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 7:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings good and learned, generous people.

Chris Scott’s “Cast of Thousands” and Alan Sharp’s “London Correspondence” promise to be must haves; and we should all put enough aside to acquire these publications pending.

However, before spending other spare pennies on partying, anyone anticipating being left with some cash and reading time, might like to check out the following link:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?isbn=0-7864-1870-2

In addition to a great subject, great content, and at least one rather great editor, this book has a great cover. Well, that’s my unbiased opinion anyway.

Cover

Best Wishes
alex

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations, Alex--been waiting for this one.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I add my congratulations, Alex. I'll be scanning those scripts to see if Hyde ever says "I'm just going home to change."

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alex,
Sounds good, must look out for it
All the best
Jennifer
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the comments, you good people.

No such quips in Mansfield’s play I’m afraid Robert, although it seems Bandmann’s was a laugh a minute, all be it unintentionally.

In the Daily Telegraph, 6 Aug. 1888, the notable theatre critic, Clement Scott lauded Mansfield’s performance of the Carew murder scene as “the most powerful and horrible thing ever seen on the modern stage.” The next day Scott lambasted Bandmann’s supposedly serious drama by declaring that, “no funnier version of the much-discussed story has ever been given than that which provoked such genial merriment last evening.

Luckily Bandmann’s version closed the following day, saving the poor chap further humiliation.

Best Wishes
alex

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex, it is a tragedy for the theatre that Tommy Cooper never attempted the role, using his profile technique.

Robert

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now, Robert. You’ll be telling me next that he would have played it ‘just like that. Aha!’

All the Best
alex

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations, Alex. An interesting subject for a publication indeed.

I don't know what anybody else thinks, but I am more into movies than theater and although there are several filmed versions out there, I have always favoured the one with Spencer Tracy in the leading role. It used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Yes, I like the Spencer Tracy version. Rather creepy scene when he's on his own in the park and Hyde takes him over against his will.

Robert

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats Alex

I actually discovered about this book while researching an article on Jekyll & Hyde which should be appearing in the next Ripperologist. It is definitely on my "to buy" list, and if you contact Paul Begg I imagine he would be happy to add a plug for the book in with the piece.

Oh, and thanks for the nice comment!

(Message edited by Ash on July 20, 2004)
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Glenn, Alan.

Glenn, on the film front my joint favourites have to be the Spencer Tracy and earlier Fredric March versions, although I also have a liking for John Barrymore’s 1920 silent version. I don’t think any later versions come close, although, as a Hammer fan, I think Christopher Lee’s I Monster and Ralph Bates’ Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde are watchable.

Alan, as touched on above, I’m very much looking forward to the publication of your London Correspondence, and now I’m intrigued by your J&H article.

Paul has been in contact in the past couple of days about the book, but plugging was not discussed, honestly. Nor did he mention your article, the cad, even although he must have known it would be of interest to me. Any chance you could give a little more detail on the nature of the article?

Aside from Jack the Ripper influencing the development of Jekyll & Hyde through stage and screen, I’ve long believed that Jekyll & Hyde in 1888 was central to the cloaked, top-hatted, Dr Ripper image that has come down to us. Although this is not covered in detail in the book, I had planned an article along these lines to coincide with publication. If you’ve already covered similar ground in your article, however, I’ll gladly save myself the trouble.

If you don’t feel you can divulge details in public at this time, I’ve no objection to double-secret divulgences in private via email.

Anyway, All the Best
alex

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex

No problem. No my article deals more in the history of the Jekyll and Hyde story and the Lyceum production. It includes short biographies of R.L.Stevenson and Richard Mansfield, a brief history of Deacon Brodie who inspired the story, a bit of detail about the "production wars" between Mansfield and Bandmann, and some newspaper quotes (several of them Irish of course) relating to the idea that the Mansfield production had inspired the killings.

Cheers

Alan
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks, Alan.

That’s pretty much areas we cover in the book. So it’ll be interesting to see if we agree, or otherwise, on all the machinations and their significance.

Thanks again, and best of luck with the article.

Best Wishes
alex

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex and Robert,

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one who likes the Spencer Tracy version. I also think the last, rather dramatic scene gives me the chills. I also think the movie has a splendid atmosphere.
And then of course... we have the Swede... Ingrid Bergman.

Alex,

I think I have a very faint memory of the I Monster film with Christopher Lee, but I don't remember much of it, though.
(Christopher Lee mostly makes me laugh, though, rather than bite my nails... as Dracula he is just comical rather than scary... but yes, I do like Hammer movies as well, although I don't find them especially scary, but they are indeed cult classics in their own right)

Ah, I haven't actually seen that silent one with Barrymore. Since I am a big fan of silent horror or expressionist movies (Nosferatu, Metropolis, London After Midnight), it looks like something to investigate further. Thanks for the tip!
(I also finally must try and see Hitchcock's The Lodger when opportunity arrives.)

Again, best of luck with the interesting project.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

“I Monster” is Jekyll & Hyde without Jekyll or Hyde. I’m not sure why they changed the names of the main characters, not even sure if it is a Hammer production. But is does star Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, and it is Jekyll & Hyde by another name.

I’m sure Hammer horror was at one time scary. As a fan of such things Gothic, I just find Hammer films no-brainer relaxing entertainment.

If you enjoy silent films like Nosferatu you should like Barrymore’s 1920 Jekyll & Hyde. It is claimed that the Barrymore film is based on Mansfield’s performance, but, knowing the film and the scripts of Mansfield’s various versions, I can only think this must mean very loosely based. Barrymore’s film does, however, contain a rather splendid dream sequence with a spider.

Region free versions of the Barrymore film are available on DVD through Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

All the Best
alex

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Congradulation Alex on the publication of your book. I look forward to reading it.

Glenn, while I like silent films too, please tell me how you have recently seen Lon Chaney's LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT. The film is missing - the last known copy having been destroyed in a fire in the 1960s. I have seen (on the Turner Classic Network) a special over a year ago of a type of hybrid reconstruction documentary using stills and photographs from the film. It was later redone (by Tod Browning) in 1935 as MARK OF THE VAMPIRE starring Lionel Barrymore (in the Chaney role as the police inspector) and Bela Lugosi. The latter film was set in Sweden, unlike the silent film. But if you know of a surviving print, you should contact Ted Turner's cable network.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,

Once again, thanks for the tip.
I'll look out for it.

Jeffrey,

Oh yes, I do have a copy! :-)
Just kidding...

I am very well aware of the fact that London After Midnight is on the list of one of the most valuable lost films. I haven't seen it, naturally -- just the stills. I may have expressed myself sloppily, I just mentioned it as among those kind of films in the genre that intrigues me. I haven't even seen the TCM restoration attempt, since the European version of the channel in question don't have the decency to view it.
However, those who were around when the film was shown in the cinemas says it was a moderately bland and uninteresting film. Still, I would have loved to see it, if not only for Lon Chaney Sn's long-haired vampire (who apparently only appears for a few minutes).

I have seen Tod Browning's uninteresting 1935 remake, with an dull and pathetic Bela Lugosi in Chaney's place, and it's probably some of the worst crap I have ever seen.

I do have Nosferatu, and I have just recently purchased the tinted full-length BFI version on DVD. I love it. Murnau was a genius.

Das Cabinet das Dr Caligari and Fritz Lang's M (although it's not a silent) are other great movies. As far as silent films are concerned, I think the Germans were in a league of their own, really.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on July 21, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, re Ingrid Bergman : the late actor Sir John Gielgud was famous for his gaffes. Once, at a dinner party, he remarked "Poor Ingrid. She never could act." Ingrid was sitting a couple of seats away at the same table.

Robert

Eric J. Matatics
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those looking for the Barrymore version--avoid the lousy public domain ones. Kino has an excellent, crisp, cleaned-up version with tints and music (the way silents SHOULD be seen).

Try www.kino.com

Ericbarrymore

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evening All

Anyone with a shortfall on his or her list for Santa might like to consider “Jekyll & Hyde Dramatized.”

This magnificent work by the highly respected Martin Danahay (and some other guy) is now available from McFarland publishers (www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?isbn=0-7864-1870-2) and Amazon.com (www.amazon.com) among other online bookstores. For some unknown reason, however, www.amazon.co.uk lists it as a “Hard to find title,” with delivery taking up to six weeks, so I’m not sure what’s happening there.

Anyhoo, worth consideration, I think.

Best Wishes
alex

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Alex

Congratulations on the appearance of your book, Alex.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alex

I'll buy it provided you can assure me that Martin Danahay and Alex Chisholm aren't one and the same person with a split personality.

Robert

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

That's Dr. Chisholm and Mr. Danahay to you, Robert. dancing

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris & Robert

Many thanks for the comments, and for raising a smile.

I think Martin may be in fits when he hears he’s being imagined as my Mr Hyde.

Rest assured Robert, with sufficient personalities vying for space in my little mind (most of them miserable my wife would say), Martin is the real deal.

Thanks Guys, and All the Best
alex

Robert Ebert
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,

I have just received and thumbed through "Jekyll and Hyde Dramatized." I placed an order for it in early October at my local Barnes and Noble. The volume looks fantastic, as complete a study of the play as anyone could reasonably hope for. I already own vintage copies of the Wilstach and Winter biographies, as well as a digitization of a recording of Len Spencer's abbreviated rendering of the finale of the Bandmann production. The book you and Professor Danahay have produced nicely rounds out my Mansfield collection. I hope that everyone else on these boards who has an interest in the subject will look into the volume. It is well worth the money. (This is not a paid endorsement.)

-Robert L. Ebert

Steve Joyce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,

Your book just arrived today from McFarland. I haven't finished reading it but WOW!! Not one but several scarce manuscripts!! And all of the other material is excellent.

A question: Have you ever run across the Luella Forepaugh / George F. Fish 1897 play? By an extreme amount of fortune, I was able to get a copy. It seems to be a derivation of the Bandmann manuscript as well as the basis of a Len Spencer early sound recording (circa 1910). Rumors have it that was possibly staged and filmed as the first cinematic version of the story (Selig) but I don't know how true that is.

Anyway,thanks to you and your co-author for a great job!!

Yours,

Steve Joyce dziadsj at aol dot com

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Robert & Steve

Many thanks for your most generous comments, which I’ve passed on to Martin.

I feel particularly privileged to have had the opportunity to work with Martin on this collaboration, but we both feel rather pleased with the result. (I have to say here, though, that without the help and encouragement of Stewart Evans, and the more than generous support of Nick Connell, I would probably have abandoned the idea of a Jekyll & Hyde study a couple of years before I came into contact with Martin. So many thanks also to these great guys.)

Steve, knowing how I felt when I located Mansfield’s ‘long-lost’ Lyceum script, I can appreciate how you felt when you were able to obtain a copy of “Luella Forepaugh & George F. Fish (1897). Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Or a Mis-Spent Life. A Drama in Four Acts. Adapted and Arranged from...Stevenson's Novel.”

Although I was aware of this version, not having seen a copy of the script, I didn’t know it was a derivative of Bandmann’s Jekyll & Hyde. Nor did I realise it was the basis of Spenser’s sound recording. Indeed, I was under the impression that Spenser’s recording was taken from Bandmann’s script – you live and learn.

Perhaps you might like to offer your view on this to Richard Dury’s magnificent RLS Website, http://dinamico.unibg.it/rls/rls.htm The “Derivative Works” “Stage Versions” section of this site http://dinamico.unibg.it/rls/stage.htm contains a detailed list of J&H dramatisations, and I’m sure Richard would be interested in your opinions on this matter.

Anyhoo, many thanks again both. Your appreciation is much appreciated.

Best Wishes
alex

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

My copy has just arrived and here are a couple of first impressions. McFarland has produced a handsome, sturdy "textbook" kind of volume, which is a smart move as I think this will stand as a comprehensive reference work for many years to come. I'm most excited by the presentation of the entire Mansfield "prompt book", complete with stage directions, lighting cues, and notes from the editors. Extensive appendicies occupy about half the book and include two other scripts, the Bandmann & Irving versions. Another appendix is devoted to Jack the Ripper (that's on top of a Ripper chapter). Period illustrations pepper the text, and I am especially caught by the illustration of Mansfield as Hyde per The Theatre magazine. Sections on Mansfield's acting style per period criticism and American theatre history are also looking good to this old theatre major. Another appendix devoted to reviews, there's a wealth of information.

Since Alex first told me a little bit about Mansfield's peculiar Hyde make-up which only showed up under certain lighting conditions, I've been hungry to read this book. It really looks to have been worth the wait and more.

Dave

There's a lot here for both Ripper and theatre people. I'm really glad to be diving into this one.

(Message edited by oberlin on December 08, 2004)

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

Many thanks for this recommendation. The book sounds fascinating! laugh

David and Alex, you might be interested to know that in response to a question from a visitor who was asking about a walking stick that they thought figured in the Ripper case, apparently not Abberline's, I did mention that Hyde uses a cane as a weapon. See "Murder sites" -- see how these threads drift! reading

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

The collated script is the real star here. The great thing about it, I think, is that the editors have utilized the promptbook from the original Boston production, which is held by the Smithsonian. This means that you can read all the stage directions and lighting cues which are faithfully transcribed in annotations. Reading the collated script is a bit like being walked through the production by the stage manager (if they had that position in those days). Besides the promptbook, they also source from the Lyceum & American Play Company versions of Mansfield's adaptation, so there are notes on line changes between the different scripts. They're minor changes for the most part (although the Boston version is missing a scene found in the revised versions), but it comes off a bit like watching a rehearsal where the actors are getting a feel for the dialogue and what works, what doesn't. Chisholm and Danahay have really accomplished something impressive, and I'm not saying that merely because Alex is a good guy.

Chris, you would definitely enjoy the book.

Dave

Alex Chisholm
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evening All

Anyone with a view on “Jekyll & Hyde Dramatized” can express that view by either voting for or against the book, which has been nominated in the best book category of the Third Annual Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards, at http://www.rondoaward.com

Best Wishes
alex

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

REVIEW

I've been doing a lot of reading lately and, having ALMOST gotten caught up with my Ripper and per-RIPPER-al reading materials, I thought I'd share some very positive remarks about the absolute best of the bunch - namely Stewart's 'Executioner', Sharp's 'London Correspondence', and this awesome piece of work by my homeboy, Alex Chisholm, and Martin Danahay, whom I've never heard of before in my life.
If you enjoy reading books that not only educate about the Victorian era, but also make you feel like you're there by bringing in the atmosphere, you have to buy this book. It expounds on one of those areas peripheral to Ripper lore - namely the actor Richard Mansfield and his Jekyll and Hyde performance. The authors also touch upon R.L. Stevenson and show how his book, which came out a year before the crimes, became inseparable in the minds of many people when the Ripper went to work. Also explained is how Mansfield achieved his legendary 'transformation' from Jekyll into Hyde. The centerpiece of the book is the script for the play, which the authors completed from various versions they discovered through their research. Though the play isn't really all that good, it puts you in the audience of a theater 117 years ago and, for me, it was an extremely enjoyable read. My only complaint about the book is that it's too darn short! I would have loved to have read more about Mansfield, his tours, his life, his ego, and will now have to seek out a biography on Stevenson, who was equally as fascinating to read about.
In closing, I must say that ANYONE with a serious interest in Victoriana and Ripper lore simply MUST have this book on their shelves. Hurry up and buy it before it becomes a collector's item.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

Yeah, with the lighting cues and stage directions it's a lot like being in the audience. You can almost hear the gasp at the end of Act III when Mansfield does his Hyde to Jekyll in front of the audience, followed by a curtain call before the play continues. The Mansfield version wasn't as melodramatic as I expected it to be, and I found myself enjoying it although I don't think I would have as much without the notes from the promptbooks. I understand Alex discovered the Lyceum's version.

Thomas Sullivan, the playwright, is someone I'd like to read more about. I enjoyed the account of his going to visit to Stevenson and reading the play to him.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 2:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I'm with you there. Try to imagine being a young playwright reading your play, based upon HIS work, to Robert L. Stevenson. I'll bet he went through 20 glasses of water! Yeah, a sequel to this book would be great, and I can't think of a better compliment to pay the writers than to say that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Alex Chisholm
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom

Thank you very much for your generous review of Jekyll & Hyde Dramatized. I feel truly privileged to receive such high praise from your good self, and am genuinely pleased you enjoyed our work.

I take your point about the length of the book. More detail on Mansfield, Stevenson and, as Dave suggests, Sullivan would have been good. In addition, I would have liked to present more on competing theatrical productions in London; a fuller exploration of the influence of J&H on the development of JtR, and vice a versa; as well as more detail on the nature of theatrical posters at the time. However, as we managed to squeeze in around 30,000 words above the limit we initially agreed with McFarland, I think we were pretty lucky.

Many thanks again Tom, your comments are greatly appreciated.

All the Best
alex

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,

No problem, I was just being honest. The funny thing about your book is that the stuff I thought might be boring, like all the info about the London theater scene, turned out to be totally engrossing! If you guys put out another book along similar lines as this one, I'd buy it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.