Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Times Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Web Sites » The Times « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2498
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Just to say that "The Times" from 1785 to 1985 is online, with free access and an apparently excellent search engine, at

http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/free4_tda

The password is "trial".

Robert

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,
I just had a quick look round this site and it looks full of possibilities. I shall be spending more time on it this evening.

Thanks for shareing.

Best Regards
John Savage

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One interesting find is "M.J. Druitt" listed at a big bash for Justice Charles, (with Lord Coleridge &tc attending) listed on Wednesday, Nov 30, 1887; pg. 7.

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fabulous stuff,

Entering simply Jack The Ripper brings over 500 responses.

I was interested to find that Leonard Matters used to be the editor of the Daily News here in Perth. the paper went under about 10 years ago.

Thanks for posting this Robert, it certainly opens up avenues of research for people such as myself who are stuck about as far away from London as possible.
Scotty.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help!

I've just tried to access this site but it will not let me on. Any suggestions? I do need to get on rather urgently.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob

It won't let me on, either. What's more, it seems impossible to subscribe to it on an individual basis. Maybe some of the universities subscibe - do you know any students? I think it's possible to get it online at Colindale, too.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a student hi what is the site address?
Gee you can tell i'm a student i've found it now!
Jennifer

(Message edited by jdpegg on July 14, 2004)
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 626
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The National Library of Ireland has four screens dedicated to this site, so I imagine Colindale would have it, and probably most of the larger City libraries.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert and Bob
Anyone else interested. I can get on the site. Repeat i can get on the site - using student facilities. Therefore, I would be happy to search for you as it seems to be free.
If you would like to take me up on this limited time offer feel free to email this address with your requests
jennipegg@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers
Jennifer
your times archive liaison officer!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jennifer. I'll bear that in mind.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats Ok Robert. No problem,
Jennifer

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.