Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Juan Pollen letter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » Juan Pollen letter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 832
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this strange reference to a letter read at Dr Cream's trial supposedly providing an alibi for Cream. It is signed Juan Pollen, alias jack the Ripper.

"The Lambeth Poisoner. Born in Glasgow, 1850; graduated from McGill University, Canada, 1876. Practiced medicine in Chicago. Had an affair with Mrs Stott, poisoned Mr Stott in 1881, virtually gave himself up and was imprisoned in Joliet.

Released in 1891. In England, murdered, with strychnine, Ellen Donworth, Matilda Clover, Emma Shivell, Alice Marsh. Arrested June 1892. Hanged by Thomas Billington, but from under the hood he cried "I am Jack the...urk...ack...ludicrous theories about him escaping or bribing his way out (of Joliet) do not ring true.

Juan Pollen letter, read in court by Coroner Braxton Hicks:
Dear Sir, The man that you have in your power, Dr. Neill, is as innocent as you are. Knowing him by sight, I disguised myself like him, and made the acquaintance of the girls that have been poisoned. I gave them the pills to cure them of all their earthly miseries, and they died. Miss L. Harris has got more sense than I thought she had, but I shall have her yet...If I were you, I would release Dr. T. Neill, or you might get into trouble. His innocence will be declared sooner or later, and when he is free he might sue you for damages. Beware all. I warn but once.
Yours respectfully, Juan Pollen,
alias Jack the Ripper"

Anyone seen this before?
Chris

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how fasinating chris,
i wonder if that is a real person or a friend using an allias to get cream off. ???????????????
jennifer

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Jennifer,

The appearance of the "Juan Pollen" letter has been commented upon by student's of Cream's poisoning career. The general comment has been to dismiss it as a clumsy attempt to throw doubt into the minds of the Coroner and the Coroner's jury. The problem (aside from it's melodramatic
nonsense - yeah, he'll get Ms. Lou Harvey yet!)
was that Cream had been known as a prolific letter writer throughout his career (had he concentrated on literary pursuits, maybe he might have died a faintly successful author of pulp
fiction stories for his period, instead of dangling from a rope). Most of his letters were blackmail threats, or threats of legal consequences to people complaining of his behavior. In fact, they were rather similar in tone to the "Juan Pollen" letter, so that it is possible that it was written (at Cream's dictation, perhaps)by some friend. It would not have been too hard for the sometimes charming Cream to get some fool to do this. His fiance,
Ms. Laura Sabattini, actually did write some threatening letters for Cream at his dictation (she was told by him he was helping the authorities in investigating some murders, so she agreed to do them).

The mentioning of "Jack the Ripper" was a nice touch, but just that, a nice touch.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an aside, Coroner Braxton Hicks was presumably the man who identified and gave his name to the ‘false alarm’ type of contractions experienced by some women before real labour starts?

Love,

Caz

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz! Thankyou! I knew I'd heard that name somewhere before!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.