Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

MORE PAGES FOUND OF THE MAYBRICK DIAR... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » MORE PAGES FOUND OF THE MAYBRICK DIARY???? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tony harrison
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi i dont know if this is true but i was told that there has been more pages of the diary found 40 in total i think and its coming out in book form

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Tony:

No truth to the rumor that these "additional pages" are going to be published. In fact from what I gather from the authors of Ripper Diary: The Inside Story these "new" pages appear to have been a crude attempt by Michael Barrett to steal the spotlight once more. I understand the pages are not consistent with the actual pages of the known Diary and appear to be merely a hoax of a hoax. sad

Best regards

Chris George

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't think that Michael Barrett wrote some extra pages that were obviously a hoax to make people think that the original diary must be genuine in a sort of round about way.

Sarah

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Considering the heated debate over the authenticity of the Diary, I think that if more pages ever turn up, (forged or not), it would be damning to publish them.

LEANNE

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

I was under the impression Mr. Barrett wrote the additional pages to prove that he could replicate the original diary. It appears he failed.

All The Best
Gary
Gary

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary,

The trouble is that no one can get inside Mike’s head to find out why he does things, what exactly he is claiming, and what he wants to ‘prove’ at any one time.

My understanding – although I could be as totally wrong as the next person trying to work Mike out - is that when he first claimed to have these extra pages he saw it as yet another chance to try to regain some ‘status’ regarding the diary and make people sit up and take notice.

When Mike realised that what he actually produced was not having the desired effect (whatever the desired effect would have been for him at the time), he appeared to lose all interest in the pages, and went on to other things, as if he too attached no importance – real or imagined - to them.

I would still ask everyone this question: if Mike was involved in forging the diary, what advantages could there have been for him in volunteering a confession when he did, and how he did? I realise it’s no good asking Mike why he confessed, but I’d like to know what others think could possess even the daftest scallywag to volunteer a true confession that would immediately rob him of the very income he was just beginning to enjoy, even depend on, and could rob him of his freedom if the police decided there was enough of a case to investigate after all.

I sense something desperate about that confession that may have had little or nothing to do with forgery at all, and much to do with a fear of losing ‘status’.

Love,

Caz

Digby Martin Fletcher
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People just love attention, even if it gets them into trouble.I agree with Caz.

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A year and a half ago, Chris George wrote :

"Hi, Tony:

No truth to the rumor that these "additional pages" are going to be published. In fact from what I gather from the authors of Ripper Diary: The Inside Story these "new" pages appear to have been a crude attempt by Michael Barrett to steal the spotlight once more. I understand the pages are not consistent with the actual pages of the known Diary and appear to be merely a hoax of a hoax. sad "

Yes, sad, but also a rather large handwriting sample ! Where are these pages residing these days ?
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sir Robert,

There are plenty of examples of Mike's handwriting knocking about - email me if you are interested in seeing some, and I will see what I can do. He has trouble keeping upper and lower case consistent, even within words, never mind sentences. And his writing could hardly look less like the diary.

There was also a linguistic comparison study by one of Professor David Canter's students, to judge the likelihood that Mike wrote the diary. Other students had to try to imitate the diarist's style too, and one of them came closest, while Mike lagged behind, with the conclusion that the chances of him having written the diary were very low.

But then perhaps he is a master of disguise who also deserves an Oscar.

Love,

Caz
X

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

The saga of the "new" Diary pages seems to be as unsatisfactory as most of the rest of the Diary story. I have no knowledge of where these pages now reside, although I have suspect that Mike Barrett has them. Perhaps Caroline Morris can address the matter. Keith Skinner did have copies of the pages although I should think that what he had were photocopies and that Barrett kept the originals. Caroline?

Best regards

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I think you are right, Chris. As far as I can recall, Keith took copies and left Mike with the originals.

Love,

Caz
X

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It'd be interesting to give the 'new' pages a gander if Mr. Skinner has a scanner....And for other samples, consider yerself emailed, Caz !

News just in: a new Diary controversy. Worth watching if they go into how they authenticated it. I can only imagine the eyes rolling in certain circles when a new Hitler related diary popped up.

Reputed Hitler kin diary cites family hell

By CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Adolf Hitler was terrorized by a tyrannical father and became a teenage bully who beat his baby sister regularly, according to newly discovered diaries.

"Once again I feel my brother's loose hand across my face," Paula Hitler reportedly wrote in a journal uncovered by American historian Timothy Ryback and German researcher Florian Beierl.

Another memoir, this one purportedly written by Hitler's half-brother Alois and half-sister Angela, recounted a scene where Hitler's mother, Klara, threw herself over her son's body to protect him. "Without a sound she absorbs it," the memoir states.

"This is a picture of a completely dysfunctional family that the public has never seen before," Beierl told The Guardian, a respected British newspaper. "The terror of the Third Reich was cultivated in Hitler's own home."

That's probably true, but other historians want to know more about the journals that Ryback, head of the Obersalzberg Institute in Germany, and Beierl claim to have authenticated.

http://www.nydailynews.com//front/story/334909p-286063c.html
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.