Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"A ring or two will leave this clue..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » Problem Phrases Within the Diary » "A ring or two will leave this clue.... two farthings...." « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 27, 2004Jennifer D. Pegg50 8-27-04  6:45 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually,

I'd be just as delighted with the sentence "Read Paul Feldman's book for proof" whether it was offered seriously or with sarcasm dripping from the screen.

In fact, I'm even MORE delighted now, since everyone who reads it can only assume that it must have been a joke even when originally posted.

Yes, it will make an excellent t-shirt to go in the catalog.

Tin matchbox empty, the Poste House, the Crashaw quote being separated and cited in both books, the mistaken details about the murders, the non-existent people, the purely Aristostilean dramatic structure, the handwriting, the lack of provenance, and all the rest -- no wonder we have so many souvenir items from Diary World.

I guess we'll have to start on online store -- www.diaryworld.com/shopping/imagination or perhaps just www.nothingnewnothingreal.com.

Still...

--John

PS: Hey, the came out as real links. I'm not going there. Adventurers can let me know what you find.

(Message edited by omlor on August 27, 2004)

(Message edited by omlor on August 27, 2004)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
it appears if you can speak either Japanese or Chinese you can buy the first link!

Fancy that,

I do so want some of these t shirts (what about mugs!!)
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now, i have a feeling this one is complex. But am I right in thinking the problem is the word farthings?

Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

David Cartwright
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All. I've just popped over to this board, as a momentary diversion from looking at "genuine" suspects. If it wasn't obvious before, then Philip Sugden, (thank God for him) has comprehensively exposed this diary as a fraud. We had the Hitler Diaries exposed before this one came along, and that's probably where the forgers got the idea from. This is the red-herring to end all red-herrings in the JTR case, and , if they're still around, the forger or forgers must be falling about laughing at the mayhem they've caused in Ripperology. Well, I'll get back to researching the real contenders now.
Best wishes to you all.
David Cartwright.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

The word 'fraud' implies a fake created for profit. Yet the most commonly suspected faker sold the diary back in 1993 for £1. And I don't think he's had an awful lot to fall about laughing at since he brought the wretched thing to London.

The convicted faker of the Hitler Diaries was exposed by science within a very short time and went to prison for his efforts.

Science has so far failed to expose the diary or watch as modern fakes. Opinion thinks it can do the job equally well, but it has yet to succeed.

Love,

Caz
X

Lee McLoughlin
Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

But the diary has also been dated at 1921, give or take 12 years so 1909-1933 and the watch scratches have been dated at "Several 10's of years" but clearly that is nowhere near 100 years.

So science has so far failed to prove the diary to be geniune, however the reports have cast reasonable doubts.

For what it's worth I think the "fake" was created in the mid 1930's - mid 1940's. These dates are highly possible. The diary ink could have easily been put to paper in 1933 as reports have said and the watch was created shortly afterwards as suggested by the reports into the scratches.

Best Wishes,

Lee

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

It's a hoax.

The rest is just verbal dancing by the bored.

Thanks for visiting,

--John

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The word 'fraud' implies a fake created for profit

Campers!!!!!!

we don't always get what we want but sometimes we gat what we deserve!!

Jenni

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lee, I'm not a supporter of the diary or watch, but your statement that 'the watch scratches have been dated at "Several 10's of years" but clearly that is nowhere near 100 years.' is simply untrue. The watch reports claim that they are "at least several tens of years" (emphasis added) and also include statements to the effect of possibly or prabably more. Either way means the scratches could easily be roughly 110 years old, if the reports turn out to be accurate in the opinions expressed within.

I don't care which side you are arguing on, editing relevant details out of someone's words to try to support your opinions more strongly isn't kosher.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Lee McLoughlin
Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I am sorry if it looks like I'm trying to put words into people's mouths or bend the edvidence to suit my own thoughts, but I am honestly not trying to.

I cant remember if it is this thread or another, but I have said that, in my own opinion, the report should have said at least 100 years if they have thought it could have been that old. The use of the phrase "several 10's of years", in my opinion, is a phrase that I wouldn't have wanted to hear if I thought the watch geniune article.

sorry if any of my post was misunderstood. As I read the quote you have used from a previous post of mine, it is easy to understand why people might have misunderstood me.

Best Wishes,

Lee

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lee,

Please see the watch results thread, as I don't think this is the right place to discuss this.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.