Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 19, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Could William Hardiman be Master Jack? » Archive through November 19, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Sixteen-year-old William Hardiman lived on the ground floor at #29 Hanbury Street with his mother. His older brother has also been mentioned as a suspect but there is no good evidence that he was in the area at the time. Here are the reasons I think William might be a good candidate.

1-He was at # 29 and could have watched and attacked Chapman as she was getting herself together after her "act" with the foreign looking "gentleman".

2-Living there he could have gone in and cleaned himself up without being seen on the streets at dawn where he could have been seen with blood on his person.

3-He lived and worked in the meat shop at the same address so he could have easily explained any blood that was found and he would have had access to a variety of cutting instruments.

4-He only lived about an eighth of a mile from the Smith attack and she described one of her attackers as a teenager.

5-I once had a dream where I saw the Ripper and he was a youth. I'm not claiming any psychic abilities here but it got me thinking that a very young looking person would be non-threatning to these women. They would thus not be afraid to go off alone with him like they should have been with strange adult males. This has always been one of the puzzling aspects of the case.

6-JtR may not have gotten done with Kelly until near dawn. Since Hardiman only lived a couple of blocks away he could have quickly made it home before anyone could easily see any blood he might have gotten on himself.

7-The Goulston street message and the apron are on the way home from Eddowes.

I don't know but to me this sounds as good, if not better, than any of the other conjectures I've seen. My post-mortem apologies to a possibly innocent Mr. Hardiman since he can no longer defend himself; no libel intended.

Best wishes,

Stan

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And working in a cat meat shop he would be accustomed to cutting up meat and even maybe acquire a rough understanding of anatomy.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

The Ultimate.... spells it Hardyman. A-Z spells it Hardyman under Chapman, Hardman in the Index and Hardiman under the Mrs. own entry so I went with that spelling.

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

Yes, and he even used to sell the meat on the street so he had many excuses even if he had blood on himself.

Stan

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He would know how to find a kidney. Animals love organ meat. I used to have a cat that was crazy about kidney.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EEWWW!! Now I'm wondering if part of Eddowes could have been turned into pet food.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1891: 29 Hanbury Street
Head:
Harriet Hardiman aged 52 born Whitechapel
Purveyor of horseflesh
Widowed
Children:
James aged 31 born Whitechapel
Purveyor of horseflesh
Widowed
William aged 18 born Whitechapel
Moulder in Clay

In 1881, there are Hardimans listed at both 27 and 29 Hanbury Street:
No 27:
Kate HARDIMAN   Boarder   U   Female   19   Liverpool   Charwoman 
Harriet HARDIMAN   Head   W   Female   44   London, Middlesex, England   Slipper Binder (And Boot) 
 Edward HARDIMAN   Son      Male   17   London, Middlesex, England   Slipper Maker 
 John HARDIMAN   Son      Male   12   London, Middlesex, England   Scholar 
 Walter HARDIMAN   Son      Male   9   London, Middlesex, England   Scholar 
 Sarah HARDIMAN   Daur      Female   23   London, Middlesex, England   Slipper Binder (And Boot) 
 Harriet HARDIMAN   Daur      Female   19   London, Middlesex, England   Slipper Binder (And Boot) 

No 29:
 James HARDIMAN   Head   M   Male   22   Mile End, Middlesex, England   Dealer In Horse Flesh (Knacker) 
 James (Mrs) HARDIMAN   Wife   M   Female   22   Birmingham    

Christopher J Morley
Sergeant
Username: Cjmorley

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a look in the casebook index under James Hardiman, there are some more details on him.Regards, Christopher.

Angel
Sergeant
Username: Angel

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cat meat dealers or carriers purchased their horse meat from slaughter yards after it had been prepared. There is some good information on them here: http://www.victorianlondon.org/mayhew/mayhew13.htm#knackers

There is no such thing as right or wrong - only places to stand.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, Christopher & Angel,

Thanks for that. Lots of interesting stuff. I had seen that one of the "Ripper letters" mentioned 'cat's meats' however I'm not too big a fan of those correspondences but who knows.

I hope some 133-year-old guy isn't calling his lawyer up right now.

Stan

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 997
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan,

Well, of course the problem with this is that while your arguments don't conflict with the idea that William Hardiman was the Ripper, they also don't conflict with the idea that any male aged 14-40 who lived in the general area could have been the Ripper, and we know from the overcrowded conditions in the East End at the time that that would be a pretty long list. Both of the Hardimans seem like nothing more than someone pulling a name out of a hat to me.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I would like to see you apply that argument to Thomas Cutbush, Dan.
You'll need a big hat.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

I'm willing to listen to someone who can come up with a longer list of arguments for another suspect. My point isn't so much to say he was the Ripper but just to say that most all the suspects have fewer arguments for them as well as more arguments against them and that doesn't take them off the list. Perhaps the odds are better than 20 to 1 that he wasn't Jack but for most that have been mentioned it's more like 100 to 1 or even more.

I can't think of any other 14-40 year-old males who worked and lived at a meat shop that also happened to be located at one of the murder sites and that's ignoring my point about the non-threatening nature of a 16-year-old as opposed to a 40-year-old. You wouldn't have any of those if you were just picking a candidate out of a hat.

Best wishes,

Stan

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 998
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan,

But the things you are arguing -- located at a murder site, non-threatening nature of a 16 year old, etc. -- aren't necessarily related at all to indicating that the person is more likely to be a mutilating serial killer. In fact they probably point away from it. The vast majority of serial killers of this type are much older than 16 and they don't typically pick their own backyards if they leave their victims on display like this.

So I see it as picking names out of a hat, and the wrong hat on top of that.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

Pomeroy was even younger and he had several victims around his house so that argument doesn't eliminate anyone.

As far as indications of a serial killer, most of them don't show much in the way of indications, that's how they are able to stay uncaught long enough to kill more than once.

By the way, I'm still waiting for that better case for another suspect.

Stan

Alan Hunt
Sergeant
Username: Mews

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All
I'm sorry but i don't see that a knowledge of feline anatomy qualifies mr Hardyman as a possible ripper-you might as well say that any schoolboy dissecting frogs in science classes at the time could be viable suspects!

Alan

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

That was not one of the points I started with but the meat he would have been cutting was for cats not of cats. For the most part the meat was probably horse meat or meat of other animals that was not fit for human consumption. The point I was making was that he would have been knowledgeable about and with access to many types of knives as well as had an excuse for blood on himself or in the residence. At any rate, that was only one of the seven points I presented. Also, how many frog dissecting school boys had a dead Ripper victim turn up on their doorstep?

Stan

(Message edited by Sreid on November 11, 2005)

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I had seen that one of the "Ripper letters" mentioned 'cat's meats' however I'm not too big a fan of those correspondences but who knows. "

Stan, you certainly raise some interesting points. Quick question - which letter is this ? I'm having trouble finding it.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other quick comment, Stan. I'm sure you saw Jane's GSG comment on the current Stride thread:

"The writing was tiny.......less than an inch high, in neat school boy handwriting."
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

Interesting conjecture, but in my view seeing a 16-year-old kid out in the wee small hours wouldn't be particularly comforting even to a big lump like me! In fact, I'd be more inclined to think they were up to no good and give them a wide berth.

Whilst I agree that not many other 14-40 year old males (why 14-40 by the way?) lived in a catfood shop next to a murder site, I find it hard to believe that the most notorious serial murderer in Victorian London lived in the same room as his mum!

Just a thought - if Hardiman was Jack, d'you think his catfood shop would've sold Carroty Whiskas?

Apologies to non-Brits who won't understand that excruciating pun ;o)

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Yes, I saw that about the GSG on the Stride thread today.

If I recall correctly, the "cats' meats letter" reference is on the section here about James Hardiman who was William's older brother but who lived elsewhere and who someone had earlier put forth as a suspect. It says, I think, that this letter was received before the "Dear Boss". I found it when I entered Hardiman into Search here. I searched William Hardiman both here and on Google to see if someone else had looked at him before but I didn't find anything on him except as a Chapman witness.

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dunno Gareth. I'm afraid part of Kate might have been fed to Diddles. YIKES!!

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

At the bottom of that article about James Hardiman on this site, it says one of the pre-Boss letters was signed 'Joe the cats meats man'. Beyond that, I know nothing more about it or if the report is even accurate.

Stan

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why do people always blame the youth of the day?

just wondering?

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 566
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

I haven't seen anywhere that youths were much of a target in this investigation. That is, with the possible exception of the unknown teenager who Smith blamed.

Stan

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer,

Because the youth are the have-nots that always inherit a world that's a little bit less than it was. We fear them and their anger. Therefore, they are the ones who will be blamed for many things.

Cheers
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

A letter posted in London N.W. on 11 November 1888 and addressed "To the Supt" is signed: ‘Joe the cats meat man & woman hunter'. You may find a facsimile of the letter in page 256 of Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner's Letters from Hell.

All the best,
Eduardo

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 570
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for that clarification. That one source was a little vague on the topic of the 'cats meats' letter.

Best wishes,

Stan

(Message edited by Sreid on November 13, 2005)

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan, hi all,

I should also have mentioned that the author of the very first letter purporting to be from the Whitechapel murderer, a pre-Dear Boss letter dated 24 September 1888, claimed to be a horse slaughterer. James Hardiman was variously described throughout his life as a purveyor of horse flesh, a knacker and a cat's-meat seller. The most comprehensive source for that Hardiman brother are the excellent articles by Rob Hills in Ripperologist (My apologies for the plug).

All the best,
Eduardo

Belindafromhenmans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan, can you say why you are convinced that your dream will lead us to the killer because it sounds abit mad to me?
I mean I had a dream last night that Mr x took me in his arms- but I doubt he's going to. I certainly won't go round looking for him with a pair of binoculars, you catch my drift? Some dreams are just vivid. But if you can't get it out of your mind, tell us the dream you had about a ripper aged 16. Personally I think it's completely impossible that a boy committed the murders. I really think you need to forget it as madness.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda,

I only said that the dream made me think of another option regarding a killer who didn't present himself as a threat. You are mistaken in your take on what I said. For all practical purposes, I think the dream itself is probably immaterial.

Since there have been other serial killers who have been even younger than 16, it can not be impossible. In my view, it would be madness not to consider the possibility.

And a possibility is all I'm presenting here. At this stage, I think it's near silly to think that we'll ever be able to know for sure who JTR was.

Stan

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From 'Work Horses in Victorian London':

'Some groups of persons in Horse-related occupations, 1881

HorseProprietors, Breeders, Dealers

Hay and Straw Dealers

Knackers, Cats-Meat Dealers
464'

Now that's a hella lot of Jacks if being a cats-meat dealer implied you killed folk for fun.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

That's only one of the points here but narrowing it down to even that number can't hurt. I'm sure there were thousands of doctors in London at the time and no one's striking them off the list yet.

Early on this thread, I asked someone to make a better case for another suspect and I'm still waiting.

Best wishes,

Stan

(Message edited by Sreid on November 15, 2005)

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

Thanks for the information though.

Stan

BelindafromHenmans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan, I'm not being detremental, people do have vivid dreams, sometimes they're meaningless, and sometimes they're not. Who am I to judge? It's just that in this case it is very obvious that the killer was a hardened , experienced man. He will have needed considerable trickery and vital strength against street-wise women. That just isn't a hapless boy. But tell us your dream? It's obviously stayed with you.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda,

It would be hard to characterize any 16-year-old youth from Whitechapel as a hapless boy.

Regarding the dream, I'm afraid it will be rather anticlimactic. All I remember is that I saw this young chap come out of an official looking building and walk down the front steps. By some intuition, I knew he was the Ripper. That's all I recall and, indeed, that may have been all there was to it. I only mentioned it because it gave me an idea, beyond that, it is unimportant.

Stan

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 889
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To give this theory credability, you have to discount all potential sightings. All of them.

A 16 year old in 1888 would generally look younger and smaller than they do today - I have books covering the criminal activities of Victorian juveniles and it was not unusual for 15 year olds to be under 5 feet tall.

And, for that matter, there ain't many 16 year olds with moustaches. Not in 1888, anyway.

Sorry - I agree with Dan. For me this is a total non-starter. I honestly thought it was a joke at first.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Feel free to lay out a better theory. I've been waiting for one.

Nobody saw BTK or The Cleveland Torso Slayer or The Texarkana Phantom Killer or The New Orleans Axeman and on and on and on...before they attacked so that's not a very good argument.

It fact, JtR must have been under the radar screen in some way otherwise he would have been caught.

Best wishes,

Stan

(Message edited by sreid on November 18, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 891
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 4:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan

I'm no good at arguements and try not to get involved, but I hope I am stating the obvious by saying the fact I believe in the 'unknown local' theory and thus cannot produce a 'better suspect' (I don't believe the theories here, but I would say for starters Stephenson, Tumblety and Kosminski all have better cases to start with!) doesn't mean for one second that your theory thus has to be correct!

Likewise, I don't get the rationale of people not seeing the killers you mention. People DID see JTR (we can say with almost certainty) if not on once occasion then another. NONE of them refer to an adolescent.

I have to say this thread is starting to bewilder me. It appears to be refuting some of the most basic assertions of Ripperology entirely on a whim.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"It appears to be refuting some of the most basic assertions of Ripperology entirely on a whim."

I see more and more threads where someone comes up with a novel idea WHICH HAS FLAWS, and instead of discussing the flaws, the rebuttal basically says "I have no idea why we're even discussing this; you are arguing for the sake of arguing."

Stan's suspect has more merit than many of those proposed. I confess the cat meat angle is intriguing....the guy's brother has been mentioned as a suspect...lived at ground zero so to speak...

Enough to make a case ? Nah. But an interesting proposal.

And finally..

"To give this theory credability, you have to discount all potential sightings. All of them."

How does Tumblety have viability as a suspect, then ?
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

The so-called sightings might be of some value if they matched but they don't. One of them might have been JtR but if you can eliminate all but one it's not that much different from eliminating all.

Certainly my theory doesn't have to be correct because I can site 9 or 10 reasons why it could be correct but I can't come up with more than about 4 reasons for Kosminski and about two for Tumblety and Stephenson.

The only reason I'm seeing against this chap is that he was young and that's one of the important reasons I am arguing for him.

Best wishes,

Stan

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baron Von Zipper:

You hit the nail on the head about how kids are percieved many times...excellent point.

Stan:

Your dream may or may not impress others to the degree where they give credence to the idea that a 16 year old would commit a crime involving evisceration or mutilation...but in any event,here is a case that proves that 16 year olds can do just that....and have.
-------------------------------

While Jeffrey Dahmer had fantasies about killing men and having sex with their corpses as early as age fourteen, he didn't do anything about it until just after he graduated high school in June of 1978 [at age 17 ]. He picked up a hitchhiker named Steven Hicks when he was living with his parents in the upscale community of Bath, Ohio. They had sex and drank beer, but then Hicks wanted to leave. Dahmer couldn't stand the idea of Hicks leaving, so he struck him in the head with a barbell and killed him.

He needed to get rid of the body so he cut it up, packaged it up in plastic garbage bags and buried the bags in the woods behind his house.
---------------------------

Comparing apples to oranges? Perhaps...and then again...hmm?

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi How,

Thanks for the contribution.

As I said, the dream just gave me the idea.

I posted this for peer review so civil criticism does not bother me.

Best wishes,

Stan

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Stan,

I actually quite like the theory just on first read.....of course that's just looking at it cold, but it's intriguing.

One thing that I thought of instantly is in connection with the passage leading through to the back yard of number 29. I was always wide eyed at the thought that Jack risked going through that passage with his victim, just as the occupants of the house were likely to be rising.....just to clarify....

There was only one door leading through to the back yard. In that one passage was the door into the cats meat shop and the stairs leading to the upstairs rooms. I balked a little at the thought of Jack risking the walk past that cats meat shop door at that time in the morning, knowing that someone could come out at any time with a nice big knife in his hand. In which case it could have been sword fights at dawn between the two of them.

Unless of course Hardiman was Jack.

mmmmmm.........more chokkie bikkies needed.

Love Jane

xxx

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and I know that someone is going to say,"Well maybe Jack didn't know about the cats meat shop and the risk involved when he took her through,'

I think the big sign in the window saying 'Cat's Meat.' might have given it away.

And now you are going to say......'Maybe be couldn't read'

That's what I love about the boards......you can please some of the people some of the time, but most of the time you just upset everybody! grin

xxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Janey!!!!

At the risk of being seen as a Cats Meat woman!!!!! I relate to the Mrs Lovetts of this world!

This lad was just one of those lads in Hanbury St I reckon..But as you say THAT passage is a bit of a one way street isn't it!!!

PS email me eh???? worried about you!!!

Suzi x

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 592
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I know what you mean although I haven't gotten the vicious attacks here that I thought I might.

Stan

Belindafromhenmans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the contrary Stan, that is much more interesting. Can you do something for me? Can you kind of free associate to this dream, and try and recall as much as possible? The height of the boy, the building, whether there were steps, etc. ?
:-) Cheer up.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 594
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda,

The boy was probably about 5'2", white with dark medium length hair, not too shabbily dressed and looked like he could have been even younger than 16. The building was brick with multiple doors and wide steps numbering about 12-15.

Again, I only mention the dream because it gave me an idea. Beyond that, I don't really place any importance in it.

Best wishes,

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 595
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

You can sight the reasons I cited on post #1 of this site.

Stan

(Message edited by sreid on November 19, 2005)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.