Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

F R O M H U L L Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » F R O M H U L L « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 28, 2005Howard Brown50 5-28-05  8:01 am
Archive through September 21, 2005Robert Charles Linfo50 9-21-05  4:08 am
Archive through October 31, 2005John Savage50 10-31-05  7:35 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

In his book “The True Face of JTR” Melvin Harris reports the finding of a newspaper article in the Bridlington-Quay Observer telling the story on Donston having been landed at Flamborough after receiving a gun shot wound whilst at sea. Mr Harris suggests that this may have been “hushed up” in the Hull newspapers, “since one of the leading papers was owned by a branch of the Stephensons”.

Well, it seems that two of the local newspapers were owned by a William Stephenson, and the below newspaper cutting from “Walton Scrap Books, Vol 16 1863-67” held at Hull Central Library may be of interest. I noticed the Hull News of 1866 was published by William Stephenson, Steam Press, Printing House Square, Whitefriargate, Hull. Also his home address is given as 8 George Street, which would have been no more than 300 yards from Charles Street/John Street.

I also checked the National Probate Calendars for 1866 which has the following entry.

“Stephenson William 5th. April the will with two codicils of William Stephenson late of the town or borough of Kingston upon Hull gentleman deceased who died 24 February 1866 at Kingston upon Hull aforesaid was proved at York by the oaths of Samuel Wharton Kirke of Kingston upon Hull aforesaid and Charles Johnson of Kingston upon Hull auctioneer two of the executors.
Effects under £40,000”

Perhaps this gentleman’s will would make interesting reading.

William Stephenson Newspaper Owner

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5209
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

I think I've found these people, or some of them. I'll have another look before posting.

I don't see why the wounding should have been hushed up. Wouldn't a customs officer who was shot be in line for a medal? Or was there something else going on?

Robert

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... Or was there something else going on?..

Robert: Good point.

However,its also possible that since RDS hailed from a leading family, the desire to suppress any sort of gossip fodder was the motive for this story's release in neighboring Bridlington.

Harris questioned this shooting on page 104 of True Face....Lets examine that page for a second....

What Mr. Harris asks is why would RDS be in the company of a man with a reputation as a smuggler.... The inference that I gather from this is that Mr. Harris is alluding to prior knowledge of the "reputed smuggler" by Stephenson.

Well...Stephenson described Thomas Piles as a fisherman...whom he and three other buddies hired to go yachting around the Yorkshire coast.

We have to remember that Stephenson is recanting this story 24 years after it occurred. An awareness of Thomas Piles and his definite smuggling connections may well have been found out subsequent to RDS' gunshot wound.. At the time of the shooting,Stephenson may not have known that Piles was a smuggler and in addition, we do not know if Stephenson was actually the one who HIRED Piles. RDS was one of the joyriders shooting sea birds as he claims,but he may not have been the man that HIRED Piles.

At this point,in 1868, RDS,according to files that Andy Aliffe discussed in 2002 at a Cloak and Dagger meeting, was on the downward spiral as far as his job performance at Customs House went, judging by his December 1867 "gradings"....whch of course,was months before the seaside shooting....

We are faced with the inference [ as made clearly by Mr. Harris on page 104...] that this incident was a major catalyst in RDS's eventual dismissal from Customs House.

Mr. Harris assesses the incident as something to consider as it "raises doubts" about RDS' basic honesty and stability and that it hinted at criminality.

Actually, it doesn't. It shows that Stephenson was shot in the thigh by the man who owned a yacht that he went out shooting sea birds on.

This is indicative of the way that incidents in RDS life have been re-routed to infer "negativity" in this man's life.

It "makes" RDS an easier suspect to believe in,if all the incidents are "reshaped" to infer that his life was filled with "bad" events.

There's no proof that Stephenson was the man who hired Piles. Until that fact is made evident, Stephenson's thigh was in the wrong place at the wrong time....or the right time,if you are dead set on making him more viable a suspect regardless of logic,facts,and evidence.

Thanks for the finds,Johnny and Robert !!!

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,
I look forward to reading the information you have found.

Howard,
Re-reading the account in true face, we get the information about Thomas Piles from an account written in W.T. Stead's "Review of Reviews" 1892. The writer of the piece is old sudden death himself, but of course Harris takes him at his word. For this reason I tend to agree with your opinion that all we know for sure is that Donston received a gunshot wound whilst cruising around Flamborough Head.

Mind you the area is all high chalk cliffs, with many small coves, and in a remote area (see pic above somewhere), so ideal smuggling country.

I was simply using the link to investigate the claim that a Stephenson family member owned newspapers in the town, in the hope that it may lead to further discoveries about the family.

Rgds
John

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John:

Its a great link,which may provide more about Stephenson for sure.

And,since we don't know whom hired out Piles as yachtmaster,maybe it was RDS.

What I was countering in the previous post of mine is how its automatically assumed that this incident is somehow indicative of Stephenson's " dark side "....

The only thing the guy is guilty of is getting his ass in front of a rifle...getting shot...and also shooting sea birds.

If the 4 guys went out smuggling...they would have been doing so in broad daylight. This is why I posited a caution as to the intent of this little cruise. Its a definite possibility that RDS knew Piles' reputation for certain. However,Stephenson was not, to our collective knowledge, pressed on the smuggling issue according to the newspapers or from his own account.

Your work on the links to Stephenson are crucial,John. There may be more than meets the eye to this story for sure. Who is to say there isn't ?

But the two elements of the story....that he may not have been the one who hired Piles [ only a 25 percent chance ] and that had they gone out smuggling [ in broad daylight ] are things to consider,regarding the inference that this story bears witness to the "bad side" of RDS.

Thanks again for the links,old bean !!!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5215
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John and How

45, High St
William Stephenson, 46, printer (but the 51 directory tells us he owned a newspaper), born Hull
Caroline, wife, 31, born Hull
William, son, 18, attorney’s articled clerk
Richard R, son, 9
Hannah Saner, step-daughter, 8
Hilda, daughter, 2
Eric, son, 2 months
Plus two servants
All children born Hull
Richard R may be Richard Rodford, who I think I found became a book publisher.

5, Lyme St
William Stephenson, 56, newspaper proprietor and publisher, born Beverley
Caroline, wife, 40, born Hull
Hannah Saner, step-daughter, 18
Hilda, daughter, 12
Mill, son, 3
Plus two servants
All children born Hull
Mr Norwood, Russian merchant, lived next door

9, Spring St
Edwin Gray, 25, merchant born Hull
Martha E, sister, 32 born Hull
Mary H, sister, 26 born Hull
Mary Clay, visitor, 34 born Newcastle
Charles White, 26, lodger, Curate of St Stephen’s Church, Hull born Shrewsbury
John William White, 24, lodger, student born Shrewsbury
All unmarried

Ancestry wouldn’t let me download 61

6, Myerson Terrace, Spring Bank
Edwin Gray, 44, timber merchant born Hull
Mary Hannah, sister, 50, housekeeper born Hull
Plus two servants

In 1891 he is still unmarried, 66, retired timber merchant staying at Charter House

My best guess for William Gray is

40 Kingston St
George Gray, 45, Steam Tug Dock something, born West Stockwith, Notts
Mary A, wife, 44 born Norwich, Norfolk
Mary J, daughter, 13 born Scarborough
Alfred, son, 11 born Scarborough
William R, son, 10 born ditto
Ellen T, daughter, 8 born ditto
Susannah, daughter, 5 born ditto

38, Raugelon (?) St
George Gray, 55, steam tug manager born West Stockwith, Notts
Mary Ann, wife, 54 born Norwich Norfolk
Alfred, son, 21, chymist born Scarborough
William R, son, shipping clerk CC (what does that mean?) born Scarborough
Ellen T, daughter, 18 born ditto
Susannah, daughter, 15 born ditto

Fearnhead Lane, Poulton with Fearnhead, Lancs
William R Gray, 30, telephone office clerk born Scarborough
Caroline, wife, 33, born Hull
Visitors
Sarah Spence, 60, married, born West Stockwith, Notts
Susannah Spence, 31, born Hull
Margaret Spence, 11, born Hull

Robert

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting all this information together, it looks like you have worked hard and it is much appreciated.

I think you have found the Edwin Gray mentioned in True Face, and it is interesting to note his address in Spring Street. (we had some Stephenson's living there I recall) Also the address given as Spring Bank is good, as Spring Street runs off Spring Bank.

I shall have a good think about all this and check through the other names to see if I can spot any connections anywhere.

Thanks again
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5219
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, I said that William Stephenson at one time lived next to a Russian merchant, so what could be more fitting than this?

Robert

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 5:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

More good information on William, it appears from this that he was a joint publisher of the book with the London company Longmans, who I beleive are still in business. I expect that the address of 51 Lowgate which is in the business centre of the town, may have been his printing works, but perhaps he also was a bookseller, as this type of publication would only be of interest to business men.

Good find.

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spot-on, John. He's listed in the 1851 directory under "booksellers and stationers" with a '1' beside his name which means he was a printer too. Address, 51 Lowgate.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks as though one of William's beneficiaries had gone missing :

DEC 31st 1867

Robert

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

More good material, well done.
These Robert Stephensons certainly liked to roam the world by the look of things.

Did you find that newspaper clipping in an Australian newspaper?

Rgds
John

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Going back to this business at Flamborough, it seems to me that the Edwin Gray who is mentioned as supervising the landing of Donston, was probably one of the passengers in the boat, as it looks like he new the Stephenson family.

I wonder, if you were going on a smuggling trip would you take with you a respectable local merchant who even had a curate as a lodger? It seems to me more likely that it was just an innocent outing that went wrong, what do you think.

Also in some of these census reports and other material Robert has found, have you noticed that people connected to the church in some way keep popping up?

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5228
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

That was from the "Times".

I now have 1861 for Edwin Gray :

56 Portland St
Edwin Gray, 35, gentleman
Martha E, 45, sister
Mary H, 40, sister

All unmarried, all born Hull.

Robert

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert:

Excellent find on the cousin of RDS...

He's 3 years older and 3 inches shorter than our Robert Stephenson.

I suppose the ownership of the newspapers that William Stephenson published/headed stayed in the family after his death in 1866. The shooting incident involving RDS occurred in 1868.

John:

"It seems to me more likely that it was just an innocent outing that went wrong, what do you think."

Yes sir, thats what I would think. Bringing along Gray, who was 41 at the time of the shooting and an established merchant for at least two decades, makes it appear [to me] that Edwin Gray may have been the authority figure on the trip.

And yes,there are a number of people in RDS life that had connections to religion. RDS is said to have known Henry Alford,Dean of Canterbury [ 1810-1871 ]. Good point,John...

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Well done on finding the 1861 entry.
Portland Street is off Spring Street, so he keeps to the same small area of town every time he moves.

Rgds
John

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I made a visit to the East Riding County Archives earlier this week, in an attempt to find other members of the Stephenson families of Hull and Beverley and below are full details of what I was able to find.

Unfortunately I could not find details of Donston’s father Richard, but I found a Robert and Susannah Stephenson of Beverley who is described as a brewer, and it looks as though he may have moved to Hull in 1809, they had a son Robert and daughters Elizabeth and Ann. As we know that the brewers Robert Stephenson & Son of Beverley were part of the Hull Bridge family of Stephensons, this may be a connection with the family in Hull.

Also I found a record of the baptism of Isabella Dauber/Dawber who was born 24th. September 1809, as well as a record of her marriage to Richard Stephenson in 1831. That Isabella’s father is described variously as a joiner or builder suggest that he was not a particularly wealthy man.

I found several entries for people called William Stephenson, but cannot be certain that any of them is the Willam who became a newspaper proprietor, and was suggested by Melvin Harris as a relation of Donston’s family. I also found a record of his marriage, when he was described as a bookseller.

EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE ARCHIVES – BEVERLEY, 8TH. NOVEMBER 2005.

BAPTISMS

Beverley St. Johns (Beverley Minster) 1798-1812 (searched 1800-1810)

12 May 1803 William son of William & Alice Stephenson
14 Sept. 1805 William, son of Thomas & Ann Stephenson
24 Jan. 1806 Ann daughter of William & Anne Stephenson
30 March 1807 George son of George & Ann Stephenson
20 Sept. 1807 Mary daughter of John & Elizabeth Stephenson
29 Sept. 1807 Charles son of Thomas & Ann Stephenson
9 April 1809 Richard son of William & Frances Stephenson
7 Jan 1810 William son of George & Ann Stephenson
24 Oct 1810 Elizabeth Daughter of Thomas & Anne Stephenson

Beverley St. Mary’s (St. Mary’s Church) (searched 1800-1810)

20 Jan 1803 George son of George Innkeeper & wife Sarah Stephenson
26 Jan 1803 Robert son of William Labourer & Wife Mary Stephenson
13 April 1804William son of Robert (occupation illegible) & Wife Harriet Stephenson
3 May 1804 Elizabeth Daughter of Robert brewer & wife Sussane Stephenson
7 June 1804 Alice daughter of Lawrence grocer and wife Ann Stephenson
25 Aug 1805 Ann daughter of Lawrence grocer and wife Ann Stephenson
26 May 1806 Ann daughter of Robert common brewer and wife Sussana Stephenson
21 Dec 1807 Robert son of William labourer & wife Elizabeth Stephenson
14 April 1808 Jane daughter of Robert Brewer & wife Susana

Sculcoates St. Mary 1790-1806

3 Jun 1806 Ann daughter of William & Elizabeth dauber joiner

Sculcoates St. Mary Sep 1806 December 1812 (book ref. 23.4.1997)

20 November 1809 Isabella daughter of William & Elizabeth Dauber joiner. Born 24 Sept 1809
16 Feb 1808 William son of William & Elizabeth Dauber joiner. Born 21 Jan 1808
16 Dec 1811 Robert son of William & Elizabeth Dauber builder. Born 23 Nov 1811
22 Sept 1809 Robert son of Robert & Susannah Stephenson. Born 31 Aug 1808[?]
21 Jan 1811 Thos. & Abram sons of Thos. & Mary Stephenson Born 1 April 1808 & 31 Oct 1810
20 Feb 1812 Mark son of Mark & Ann Stephenson joiner
1 Jan 1811 Jane daughter of James & Elizabeth Stephenson, Roper

Lastly two marriages from the Sculcoates Registry, which are of interest.

Page 370
24 May 1831 Richard Stephenson parish of Holy Trinity Hull, merchant, bachelor and Isabella Dawber of this parish, spinster, by licence. William Keary officiating minister. Witnesses Robert Dawber and M.A. Stephenson

Page 372
31 May 1831 William Stephenson parish of St. Mary’s Hull bookseller, bachelor and Catherine Boyle of this parish, by licence. Henry Newmarch officiating minister. Witnesses Richard Boyle, Mary Boyle H. [NM] Keyworth, Margaret Boyle.

Rgds
John

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Williams Stephenson in question was also a printer/publisher of books. One such book is for sale at abe.com It's called 'An Account of Hornsea in Holderness in the East Riding of Yorkshire'. Very clunky title. It was written by 'E.W.B'. The book description reads as such: 'Book Description: 146 + viii pp, lacks title & prelims, red cloth, a little soiled, Printed by William Stephenson, Hull, ca 1847'

Best wishes,

Tom Wescott

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5286
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further to John's note, here are a few records :

William's second marriage was under
civil registration :

Record Name Year Quarter Record Type District County

View Record
Lowden, Maria 1848 March Marriages Hull East Riding of Yorkshire
Humberside
View Record
Rovson, Ann 1848 March Marriages Hull East Riding of Yorkshire
Humberside
View Record
Saner, Caroline 1848 March Marriages Hull East Riding of Yorkshire
Humberside
View Record
Stephenson, William 1848 March Marriages Hull East Riding of Yorkshire
Humberside

William had a step daughter, Hannah Saner.

I checked the IGI at the LDS site for John, William and Richard, plus
or minus two years from 1802, 1805 and 1807 respectively. No Richards,
but it may be that William and John were brothers, as there is a match
up for parents John and Jane and a Christening at St Mary, Kingston
upon Hull. There were tons of names, I went through the list using the
find on this page facility, seeking Sculcoates, Beverley and Hull.

JOHN STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 24 JUN 1800 St Mary And St Nicholas, Beverley,
Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Father: ROBERT STEPHENSON
Family

Mother: SUSANNA

JOHN PATRICK STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 20 MAR 1803 Saint Mary, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Father: JOHN STEPHENSON
Family

Mother: JANE

JOHN STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 04 DEC 1803 Saint Mary, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Family

Mother: ANN

WILLIAM STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 12 JUN 1803 St John And St Martin, Beverley, Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM STEPHENSON
Family

Mother: ALICE

WILLIAM STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 13 APR 1804 St Mary And St Nicholas, Beverley,
Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Father: ROBERT STEPHENSON
Family

Mother: HARRIET

WILLIAM STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 17 OCT 1805 Saint John And Saint Martin, Beverley,
Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Father: THOMAS STEPHENSON
Family

Mother: ANN

WILLIAM STEPHENSON
Male

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 26 JUN 1805 Saint Mary, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Family

Mother: JANE

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, re library book, I've replied through Howard, because I got bouncback.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.