Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Maybrick Diary: A New Proposal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » The Maybrick Diary: A New Proposal « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 31, 2005Jeff Leahy50 3-31-05  12:20 pm
Archive through April 03, 2005Chris Phillips50 4-03-05  12:14 pm
Archive through April 05, 2005Donald Souden50 4-05-05  6:03 pm
Archive through April 11, 2005Jennifer D. Pegg50 4-11-05  11:08 am
Archive through April 15, 2005John V. Omlor50 4-15-05  4:28 pm
Archive through April 25, 2005John V. Omlor50 4-25-05  6:18 am
Archive through April 28, 2005John V. Omlor50 4-28-05  2:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, you mocked the typos. And when I said something about "Geesh, we are reduced to picking on typos", you defended and said it was just a joke. Casebook archives circa June 2001.

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ally,

Can't remember the line, but I trust you.

And I'll happily say, I once did it too.

I suppose it's usually a desperate gasping sign of frustration and was when I did it just as it no doubt is now.

Thanks,

--John

Simon Owen
Inspector
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OT : We aren't all descended from one woman who lived thirty five thousand years ago , we are most probably descended from around 50,000 women who lived at that time and shared some of the same mitochondria. Even scientists get it wrong...

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joan,

yes i like to think so myself!

Jenni
"It's time to give a damn, Let's work together come on"

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Poster,

Uh, I could be wrong, but I only hear 16 syllables in your latest "haiku" -- unless you ment to include "smile" from your smiley. There should be 17.

Don.

(Message edited by supe on April 29, 2005)

(Message edited by supe on April 29, 2005)
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

perhaps Caroline, likes to rely on the opinions of other people, such as Keith Skinner, to inform her opinIons?

i'm just fine using my own brain. but each to there own.

I agree, each to their own, but do you mean to tell me that you have never relied on a single opinion from anyone, either expert or amateur, concerning any aspect of the diary or watch, or the investigation into their origins, to help you make up your own mind? That you simply sat down and read the diary facsimile (and saw the physical book quite recently) and decided for yourself, entirely unaided, when it was probably written?

If so, I take my hat off to you, you're a better woman than I - a poor fool who admits that I rely on the opinions of the scientists and the ripper historians and the Maybrick buffs etc to help me, in addition to all the factual information I have ever read and heard on the subject.

I happen to think that all opinions are worth listening to and considering, but especially those based on long years of relevant experience and painstaking research and investigation. But if you think you can get by without, and are happy to put all your trust in your own judgement, all power to you.

Have a great weekend.

Love,

Caz
X

PS I would never rely on just one person's opinion anyway - there are a whole lot of factors I will be taking into account before my final day of judgement arrives, you can be certain of that much.

(Message edited by caz on April 29, 2005)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 5:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,
yes each to their own!
Jenni

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

You claim to be just fine using your own brain, so is your response above really the best you can do?

Am I supposed to believe that you are solely here to give your own opinions, and that you have never allowed yourself to be influenced by a single opinion offered by anyone else, on any aspect of the investigation?

I am considered disrespectful for repeating a tiny typo in one of your posts. Yet you do not see that it is disrespectful to your readers to admit that you can't be bothered to spellcheck any of your messages in Diary World.

We all know what you must be capable of away from this place, because you are at uni, presumably having to read, comprehend, evaluate and write essays about various texts on the subject of your choice. You also produce coherent, well-written articles for Ripperologist and Ripper Notes, which shows your respect for the subscribers.

For the above reasons, every time you ask 'what do you mean?', or 'what is your point?', and every time you manage to get totally the wrong end of the stick, even in response to some very simple observations written in extremely plain English; every time you respond with a complete non sequitur, or a badly spelled, badly punctuated sentence or two that is barely coherent, and which you obviously haven't read through even once before sending into the archives; every time you respond with a pointless one-liner that fails to address any of the concerns in the previous post - all this tells your readers and fellow posters that you just can't be bothered to read the messages carefully or to respond carefully.

And that IMHO shows far more disrespect than a little dig about a typo (that we all make at times and proves us human), that was too subtle a hint that your posts could do with a wee bit more thought behind them - at least if you want your readers to learn how and why you formed your opinions, and to respect them accordingly.

What was the point, for instance, of arranging for Dr Platt to examine the diary, if you were just fine using your own brain and had no intention of relying on his expert opinion?

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

Can I just say a word about spelling and grammar?

Personally I do try to take care of spelling and grammar, and I do find slipshod spelling and grammar rather jarring. However, I try my best not to comment on others' shortcomings in this respect because:
(1) I fall short of perfection myself;
(2) it's a waste of time;
(3) it's impolite;
(4) picking up grammatical mistakes in people's posts is often a symptom of desperation on Internet bulletin boards.

But what flabbergasts me is that you should criticise Jenni in this way, and pass over in silence the recent contributions by another poster which elevate idiosyncratic spelling almost to an artform.

But of course, those contributions dovetailed perfectly with your own agenda, and so you passed over their shortcomings in silence ...

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline,

like I say each to their own, but perhaps that is not enough for you? Perhaps you want to fight with me, I mean, geez, I was only trying to be diplomatic here.

I don't know what my excuse for being thick is. But tell me what is your excuse for being rude?

Lets move on from this nonsense right now and get back to discussing the real important stuff shall we?

Feel free to email me Caroline, anytime you want and thank you for your kind words and concern.

Jenni

ps yes University, could this be the reason for my lack of time. Umm, hey what was that, final exams? I'm sorry if there are more important things to do around here than get into pointless arguments.

Mr Poster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 2:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
Uh, I could be wrong, but I only hear 16 syllables in your latest "haiku" -- unless you ment to include "smile" from your smiley. There should be 17.

Uhhh......, youre right. dammit haikuing is not easy at all.

Mr Poster

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RJ,

what is the latest?

Jenni

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ball is rolling. Then again, so was the one shoved by Sisyphus.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks RJ,
it seems we managed to get back on topic. I am glad the ball is rolling,

Jenni

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

R J Palmer

The ball is rolling. Then again, so was the one shoved by Sisyphus.

Sisyphus seems to ring a bell. Wasn't that the original "uphill task"?

Well, bravo for your patience and good humour!

Chris Phillips

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris--Thanks. The University of Texas is just finishing up a seminar on "Forging Historical Documents", and has an interesting supplimental reading list that might be of interest. (The Diary makes a brief appearance). RP

http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~i389cdg/schedule.html

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

...the recent contributions by another poster which elevate idiosyncratic spelling almost to an artform.

So you tried your best, but you couldn't resist commenting on another poster's shortcomings, even though you think it's a waste of time, impolite and often a symptom of desperation.

The difference between you and me is that I wouldn't dream of commenting on anyone's shortcomings with language unless there was clear evidence that the individual concerned was capable of a good deal better, and therefore would be doing themselves a real favour by putting their best goods in this shop window.

If I really wanted to be cruel to those I didn't agree with, I could just let them get on with it, and not warn them about the serious drawbacks of taking so little care here compared with elswhere.

Love,

Caz
X

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 4:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline,

It's fine, it's fine, it's all fine - anyone can just read your post 1680 and see clearly for themselves what's going on. It is evident from your posts over the last few days. It is evident from your previous posts. And it's evident now.

You think you know me Caroline, but you don't, so...

Let this be the end of it,

Jenni

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 5:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Caz,

I am sorry that I posted anything that offended you. It was not intentional but it was stupid.

Sincerely meant and said.

Jenni

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Jenni,

No problem at all.

And I still love you to bits for getting the b... diary tested again while the purple dragon breathed evil-smelling smoke over us and promised himself and his fanclub no more tests as long as we both shall live.

Lots of love,

Caz
XXX

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 6:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, then back to the point at hand,

Jenni

Mr Poster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK then!

Guess what! The 5-7-5 haiku rule is just a nonsense imposed by the English language!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

So now we can all haiku all we want without counting syllables!

Super.

Mr Poster

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.