Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through October 20, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Reconstructing Mary 's Face? » Archive through October 20, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BAPearce
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen a lot of programmes where peoplse faces have been "reconstructed" by hand modelling and computer to show how they would have looked alive.I was wondering wheter any of this amazing technology could do something with the in situ photographs taken at Millers Court to show how she might have looked alive.It would be interesting

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi BA

That is an interesting idea. A person who is experienced in facial reconstruction could give us a true glimpse of what Kelly looked like. Of course we would need her skull and this would require digging up her remains. There could be forensic value in doing so and digging up the remains of individuals in criminal cases has become fairly common recently. As we speak a court has ordered the body of Billy the Kid to be recovered from the grave.

Forensic pathologists like James Starz and Clyde Snow have gotten fairly adept at convincing U.S. courts to allow the removals for identification and forensic reassesment.

All The Best
Gary

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Also, if permission for Kelly's exhumation were ever granted, maybe there'd be the possibility of homing in on the area she came from, using genetic analysis. After all, I imagine that people were fairly static and inbred in those days, compared with now.

Robert

Belinda Pearce
Police Constable
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never thought about the possibilities of genetic analysis that makes it even more interesting what are the chances of this happening I wonder.BAPearce alias Belinda

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda and Robert

It would be interesting to do a forensic analysis of MJK's remains assuming there is anything left to find. I think as time goes on it may be possible for science to provide a useful exhumation.

So far exhumations of long dead figures such as Jesse James and Billy The Kid have been for the purpose of clearing up confusion about their true identities. However, information came forward in the Jesse James case proving exactly the position of the body at the time of death, ruling out certain suspected diseases, verifying known physical ailments, etc.

There is also the problem of MJK's true identity which we may be getting closer to solving on these very boards. From what little I know of DNA testing we would need MTC-DNA, which only comes from the female side and at this point I
would point you to a thread which I have seen on these boards which talks knowledgeably about such testing and which I can't place at the moment.

I have spent plenty of time on the ancestry websites trying to get relatives of MJK to come forward and so far a lot of people believe they are related to her: But I have not come across one who can provide me with the information I am looking for to verify this purported relationship. Then again, if we don't know truly
who she is there may be an internal inconsistancy in my elimination process. I had better stop her as I have completely confused myself.

Robert

You mention inbreeding. What do you know about my ancestors and who told you?

All The Best
Gary

Christian Jaud
Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Belinda,

back in the days of the "old boards" there were some attempts to "reconstruct" e.g. Kelly's face. More from an artistical point and less scientific, but interesting nonetheless.
I don't remember who did them, but maybe they can be re-posted here.

regards

Christian

Mick Lyden
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Seeing as someone has expressed a wish to see it again,here is my facial reconstruction of Mary Kelly,showing the various stages.
Note I have tried to follow the bone structure,layering on flesh as I did so.
Also note that Like Jack,I have left Mary's eyelids intact!

Enjoy,

Mick Lyden

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mick,
Four words describe that effort , Brilliant, excellent, well done, we have here a face that I personal consider a more then possible likeness, the book leanne and myself are producing, will show a similiar likeness, therefore I would consider your work to be as good as you would ever get on a modern day reconstruction.
Full praise to you.
Regards Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mick, that's amazing. And am I imagining it, or does the face look Irish?

Robert

Jeff Hamm
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Now isn't that amazing! Well done. If we could ever find a photo of Mary while alive, it would be facinating to make a comparison to see how similar the reconstruction is.

- Jeff

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,
My first reaction, aged mid twenties and of irish resemblance.
Richard.

Belinda Pearce
Police Constable
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is remarkable.It has always seemed so strange to me that he mutilated her so much yet left her hair intact she was described as having a very fine head of hair that reached almost to her waist I can't understand why he didn't hack it off too

Joe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now, if your reconstruction is correct, we really then know she is a good looking young lady.

Mick Lyden
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Richard and Brian,

Many thanks for your kind words.They are much appreciated.

Regards,

Mick Lyden

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 640
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mick
Very impressive job on the facial reconstruction and of great interest.
I have been working for some time on a clean up of the whole famous picture to try and bring out the main structures in the room. I still have some way to go but as your excellent face picture seemed to generate a lot of interest I thought I'd post as far as I have got. It is a much humbler effort but may be of some interest.
there is still a way to go and I will post the finished picture when done.
Chris
kellyclean

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks great so far, Chris. Much clearer. I think I can see a polka dot pattern on her chemise (if it is her chemise). And the tin bath has really come out well.

Robert

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is good stuff from both Mick and Chris. I agree, she does look Irish.

What also interests me is: there is a structure with two large panels behind the bed; it looks like a door.

Cheers, Mark

(As we say in Nottingham: "When one door closes, another slams in your face". We're not an optimistic lot in Nottingham. Probably comes of watching Notts County play)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Mark, it does look like a door. It must have been a very ramshackle partition.

Sounds like there's a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses in Nottingham.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Ive always thought that looked like an old door as well.
Nice work, Chris and Mick.
Is that Photoshop, Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand you're using there?

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting attempt at reconstruction, Mick. In my absolutely amateur opinion I think you've made her jaw too narrow. To me she seems much more square-jawed. The rest of her body seems rather stout or stocky, which would be consistent with a rather square face. Anyway, that's the way I've always imagined Mary.

Andy

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew,
We must remember, that in the 1888s stocky was not how we interpret it today, the human body has changed so much, due to better nutrition, I Would imagine eight- eight and half stone was considerd stocky during that period, remember the average waist size for a woman was about 22 inches, not only women but men were a great deal less in weight also.
I remember even in the 1960s a nine stone woman was considered well built, nowadays [ pardon me ladys] a lot of young women would be only to pleased to be that weight, it is simply times have changes regarding the quality and quantity of our food.
If one looks at the body of kelly even allowing the mutalation, the bone structure, and frame suggests to me she was only if that slightly above average for that period.
Regards Richard.

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

I was just going by what I observe in the picture. "Stocky" was my description. "Stout" might be a better word. He face seems to me to contain the lines of square jaw rather than the pointed jaw drawn in the interesting depiction above. In my opinion, a square jaw also seems to be more consistent with the body frame I see in the photograph.

Andy

Erin Sigler
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both of you have done an amazing job with the photographs. I'm in awe!

P.S. I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but I was wondering what a "stone" would correspond to in American pounds.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin.
If you are refering to the weight '
There are 14lb to a stone.
8 stone=112lb
8st 7lb=119lb
9stone= 126 lb
Richard

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must also note 112lb or 8st equals 1 hundredweight (1cwt). Arn't Imperial units much more fun than those boring metric things?

Next week we'll consider area with its rods, poles and perches.

Cheers, Mark

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.