Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Please help. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Please help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Morrison
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, i'm just visiting and I need to know who Jack the Ripper's very first victim was so if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated if they posted it here. Thankyou.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 751
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We don't know, Sarah, and I don't think anyone can tell. Among the canonical victims Polly Nichols have been considered the first one, but possibly Martha Tabram was his first attempt. But this is, I'm afraid, like in so many aspects of the Ripper case, a thing that probably never will be established for sure.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Frank van Oploo
Detective Sergeant
Username: Franko

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,

In addition to Glenn I can say that there was even another woman who might have been Jack's first victim, and this was Annie Millwood. She was admitted to the Whitechapel Workhouse Infirmary on the evening of 25 February 18888, suffering from a number of knife wounds in the legs and lower torso. But like Glenn said, nobody can tell for sure who his first victim was.

All the best,
Frank

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank,

I think you're right about this.
I actually believe Annie Millwood would be quite a suitable candidate for being an early Ripper victim. We can't be sure, but I think she is one of the more interesting ones to consider, especially if we study her case alongside Tabram. She can't be ruled out, at least.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Martin Anderson
Police Constable
Username: Scouse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank/Glenn,

It strikes me as being ironic with the number of knife attacks occurring, in the same place at the same time, with the same type of victims. I am not saying the same person committed all these crimes by any means, but it would be interesting to view the 1888 crime statistics for the area in and surrounding Whitechapel.
If these were compared to a similarly deprived district elsewhere, would a pattern emerge? If not then surely The Ripper had a large hand to play in a lot of these so-called "incidents".

The truth is certainly out there but what is real?
Out of interest do you believe the police or the press, as we well know how differently each portrays the events.

Thanks.

Frank van Oploo
Detective Sergeant
Username: Franko

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Martin,

It surely would be interesting to view the 1888 crime statistics for the area in and surrounding Whitechapel and compare these to similarly deprived districts elsewhere to see if a pattern would emerge. It would be nice if there would be someone out there who could do the honors, 'cause I'm afraid I don't have easy access to such statistics.

What strikes me is the fact that both Annie Millwood and Martha Tabram received multiple stab wounds in the lower part of the body, which proved to have been an important part to Jack the Ripper.

All the best,
Frank

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Martin, Frank.

It certainly would be interesting to see such statistics. I think this issue have been up on the Boards before on some occasion, but I can't recall if anything came out of it. Do such records really exist, for starters?

Maybe our own research wizard Chris Scott pulls something out of his hat regarding this :-)

"What strikes me is the fact that both Annie Millwood and Martha Tabram received multiple stab wounds in the lower part of the body, which proved to have been an important part to Jack the Ripper."

That has been my thought as well. There are indeed interesting similarities between the two that can't be disregarded.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Martin Anderson
Police Constable
Username: Scouse

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank/Glenn,

Im quite new to casebook.org and to the Ripper case itself. This website has certainly increased my interest in the subject. I'm also pleased that there are so many professional people offering their expert opinions. Im merely a geography graduate but I am handy on computers!

I cannot find the 1888 stats yet but in a matter of seconds I was able to trace the 1898 statistics for the whole of England and Wales from the following homeoffice website:-

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/100years.xls

It also shows that the murder rate was 328 that year as a whole and this includes manslaughter and infanticide as well. There was 798 assaults on females and incidentally this is a lot lower than today's figures.

We must also bear in mind that these are only the RECORDED crime statistics and does not take into consideration the accuracy and consistency in recording crime which may have been better or worse than today.

What first struck me was the low number of murders compared to a modern day rate last recorded as 886 in 2002. If we consider that there were up to 20 murders in Whitechapel alone and in only 3 months, then this must have been a phenomenally high statistic. I shall continue looking for the 1888 figures in Whitechapel as I am sure these can be retrieved.

Hi Frank,
I am now considering the injuries to Martha Tabram and Annie Millwood were inflicted by the same hand especially when it is agreed that earlier victims were less mutilated, but only because the crimes were progressive.
Regards

Martin Anderson.
Martin Anderson
Analyst

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.