Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Photographs of the victims Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Photographs of the victims « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Sergeant
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just wondering why the only dead body to be photographed the way she was found was of Mary. Why weren't the others photographed where they were found?

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 943
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

I think it would have to do with the development of detective techniques, plus photography. They couldn't wait for the photographer to arrive and set up his camera outdoors, because of the curious crowd gathering. They would have just wanted to get the corpse to the mortuary as soon as possible. They wouldn't have known how important it was to have a crime scene photo.

When Mary was found, they stopped a lot of curious people entering Miller's Court, in fact the whole length of Dorset Street.

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah, Leanne

I'm still a bit puzzled - they kept Eddowes's body on the pavement long enough to make a sketch of her in situ.

Robert

Kris Law
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

If I remember correctly, it seems to me that I recall reading that the sketch of Eddowes' body was done after the fact, from memory by one of the officers on the crime scene. I would imagine it would be much too dark to sketch anything in Mitre Square, and i doubt very much they left her there until morning.

Peter Sipka
Police Constable
Username: Peter

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,
If we are talking about the same thing, there is a sketch on the "victims" page and by "Eddowes."

-Peter-

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would also like to add, that we shouldn't automatically take for granted, that the police at the time knew the importance of such an approach. This was in the dawn of police investigation techniques, and the ignorance and inexperience regarding the matter was considerable. One such example is the sloppy handling of Polly Nichols on Buck's Row, where they just took away the body and threw a bucket of water over the blood stains.

I think they grasped the meaning of it as they went along and the number of victims increased. These murders were quite extraordinary and it is also possible that the conditions (indoors etc.) in connection with the Kelly murder could have showed the proper opportunity to take photos of the whole scene, since it was out of public view.

But then, I also think the problems with photographic technique could -- as indicated here above -- be a point as well, as long as we consider the fact that they had problems with the camera in the morgue as well -- since they couldn't take pictures from a bird view, they had to -- as we know -- pin some of the bodies to the wall in order to be able to photograph them.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 5:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I thought light was a factor. With the graffiti, weren’t they initially planning to leave it on the wall until daylight, when they would have been able to photograph it, but then erased it for fear of a riot?

Although I must say, even if it wasn’t technically possible, or too expensive, to take a good photo outside at night, I’ve never quite understood why they couldn’t spare a bobby or two to stand in front of the message and guard it until a photo could be taken. Would there have been a serious threat of violence from residents peeking through to read the words and becoming enraged by them? Hardly seems comparable to the danger the bobbies already faced that night had they come face to face with a demented Jack trying to escape their clutches.

Love,

Caz

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 6:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

I always found it strange that that message was wiped away. I would have been interesting to see a photo of it.

You also said that light may have been a factor but when they found Annie Chapmans' body it was light, also when Martha Tabram's body was found it was getting light.

Sarah

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's not entirely clear. What was actually said was that Halse wanted to leave it there until the photographer arrived, but it was getting light so Warren ordered it removed. However you have to remember that exposure times on cameras back then were very long so you couldn't just use a flash like today, you would have had to floodlight the whole area to take a photo during the hours of darkness.

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, too late to amend my previous post but... just looked up some history of photography and learned that the first flash photography was performed with use of exploding magnesium powder in "the late 1880's". It doesn't say exactly what year though. However this was still experimental at this stage so unlikely that a police photographer would have access to the correct equipment.

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

We also had to consider the problem of obtaining a photographer. I guess the Police wouldnt have had their own and would have had to have hired one.

Where would you get a photographer willing to get up at 2.00am to photograph a ripped open murder victim in Whitechapel ??

Re Eddowes drawing. I thought she was drawn in situ by Foster the surveyor. Though that part of the square was dark during the murder I feel the PCs would have illuminated the area with their Bulls-eyes.

Monty
:-)

PS After all, Brown had enough light to examine her.

(Message edited by monty on November 27, 2003)

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is sort of going off on a tangent here but I was looking up photography in the nineteenth century and I came across some very strange photos taken back in the victorian period. They are very strange, the link is http://www.photographymuseum.com/seance.html.

They are supposed to be photos with spirits in them. I was trying to work out they could fake them back then but I don't know how. It's quite easy theses days but I don't know how they did these, because they must be fake.

Sarah

thomas schachner
Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi sarah,

i hope this helps
they describe some techniques.

those "ghost-pictures" were very popular in victorian times and could be bought at every street corner.

http://www.ghostresearch.org/ghostpics/

greetings from germany
thomas.

(Message edited by thomas on November 28, 2003)

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!
Is there any way the Casebook could present ALL the photographs related to Jack the Ripper? Some of the photos are well-known and have been reproduced in so many books ... but every now and then I come across something new that I have never seen before (check out the picture from a book that Debra posted under "Elizabeth Stride"). I know that there have been some "family portraits" of at least one of the victims discovered recently.
How about it? Any chance of putting all these images in one place (and where better than here?)
Steve

David Andersen
Sergeant
Username: Davida

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sam Hardy, an assistant to Prof:Camps, of the London Hospital discovered the original photos in the basement of the London Hosp. The body of Eddowes was in fact photographed hanging from a hook in the wall. It would seem that the difficulty in photographing a body in situ was that the 'powder flash', which was used would spill out from the 'flashgun' and not ignite.
Regards
David

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the problems would have been moisture in the air. Some of the nights of the murders were damp as I recall. Also we are talking about a time when flash powder was used even in good light. While photography was common enough that police may possibly had access to a skiled photographer climate,technology and police outlook may well have contributed to the decision to not photograph the bodies at the scene other than Mary Jane Kelly.Kindest regards, Neil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.