Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

October 1887 victim Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » October 1887 victim « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently transcribing a long article from the Maryland News which is dated 10 November 1888. As I was reading through this I came upon the passage below. This claims that the first victim was killed "a year ago last month" i.e. in October 1887. It says the victim was never identified and was buried in "Potter's Field"
Does anyone know more about this victim and where Potter's Field was please?
Chris

oct87

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

First of all, "Potter's field" was a general term for a pauper's cemetery which might be anywhere. Second, I believe this report is a reference the oft-heard claim for a late 1887 "murder" of the fictitious "Fairy Fay" which is often repeated in the press of the day. This event is usually said to have occurred in December 1887 not October of that year but I should say we can be fairly confident that the same mythical event is being alluded to.

All the best

Chris

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And remember, there were no deaths recorded as murders in Whitechapel in 1887, Miriam Angel notwithstanding (must not have been ruled a murder intially).

Andy

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks guys for the prompt feedback:-)
Potter's Field - an interesting term which I'd never heard before - I wonder what its origin is. Will try and find out
Thanks for the help
Regards
Chris

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the term "potter's field" as a burial ground for outcasts, see Matthew 27:7.

Andy

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Sounds more like an inaccurate version of the "Rainham Mystery" to me.

Regards,

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.