Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jamaica "Ripper" Murder Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Jamaica "Ripper" Murder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Following are Jamaican press reports covering the "Jamaica Ripper" - otherwise known as Benjamin Ranger. There was not a series of murders in and around Spanish Town, Jamaica (as reported by the US/UK press), but rather a single murder (28 December 1888) which in itself was only slightly Ripper-like. In any event, the murderer confessed and was hanged.

My guess is that the "sailors" who provided the story to the New York Sun "spruced" it up a bit during the trip from Kingston to NY Harbor... nothing in the Jamaican press raised the spectre of Whitechapel (though in some cases both Whitechaplian incidents and the Ranger case were discussed on the same page of Jamaican newsprint...)

The Daily Gleaner covered the magisterial inquest in full, and it is provided below.

Tri-Weekly Budget
Saturday, 29 December 1888

BRUTAL MURDER.

A frightful murder is reported from St. Catherine. Yesterday morning the body of a respectably clad young female was found on the road between Old Harbour and Spanish Town, near the fence of Bridge Pen. The throat was cut from ear to ear, almost severing the head from the body, the mouth was cut along the length of the jaw, and several teeth were knocked out. The legs were tied at the knees with a handkerchief. There is no clue, we regret to say, to the perpetrator of this fiendish act.

Evening Express
Saturday, 29 December 1888

MURDER.

A Dreadful and atrocious Murder has been committed at the Gutters near Bushy Park in St. Catherine – a Black Woman being found with her Throat Cut from ear to ear. The Detectives are on the Track of the supposed Murderer.

Daily Gleaner
Monday, 31 December 1888

A brutal murder is reported as having taken place in the Parish of St. Catherine. On Friday morning last the body of a young woman was found lying on the road between Old Harbour and Spanish Town near the fence of Bridge Pen with her throat cut from ear to ear, almost severing the head from the body; the mouth was cut along the length of the jaw and several teeth knocked out while her legs were tied with a handkerchief about the knees. The perpetrator of this diabolical act, we are sorry to say, has not been captured.

Evening Express
Monday, 31 December 1888

Murder at Bushy Park.

The body of the unfortunate woman had not been identified up to the time of my sending this. A photograph of it has been taken by Dr. Neish. She is supposed to have been a native of Clarendon. The body was found horribly mutilated. I will send further particulars as soon as I can.

Later.—A drayman by the name of Benjamin Burger has been apprehended on suspicion of being the murderer, and has been lodged in the Middlesex and Surrey County Jail. He confessed to having murdered the woman.

The body of the murdered woman has been identified by a relative. Great excitement prevails, but the cause of this atrocious act has not yet transpired.

(in the same paper, from the same column, only a few inches below…)

A woman was recently found strangled in a London Street, she is supposed to be another victim of the Whitechapel murderer and a new system of murder been adopted in lieu of the former ultra revolting method.

Daily Gleaner
Tuesday, 1 January 1889

Brutal Murder in St. Catherine.

With reference to the brutal murder reported in yesterday’s Gleaner as having taken place in St. Catherine, we have since learned that a young man named William Ranger was arrested at 12 o’clock on Sunday night at the Vere Race Course, as being the perpetrator of the brutal tragedy, and was lodged in the Spanish Town County gaol at 3 o’clock on Monday morning, pending the Magisterial investigation. The girl’s name is Letitia Crawford. Ranger who is about 24 years of age, cannot give any reasons for the committal of the act, as he and the girl had been very friendly up to the time she was murdered.

Daily Gleaner
Friday, 11 January 1889

Spanish Town.

(Before H.J. Bicknell, Esq., Resident Magistrate.)

A Magisterial investigation was held on Thursday, the 10th instant in the Magistrate’s Room into the charge of murder against Benjamin Ranger, for taking the life of Estina Crawford. The body was found about 5.50 a.m. on the 27th December.

Sergt.-Major DaCosta of Old Harbour was the first witness examined. He stated: I am Segt.-Major of Constabulary, stationed at Old Harbour. It was reported to me that a dead body had been found on the Old Harbour Road. I went and found, a few chains from the 7th milestone, the body of a woman lying in the water table on the side of the road. The body was lying on its left side with the head to the west. I found the throat cut from ear to ear. I left the body in charge of a constable, went to Old Harbour and telegraphed to the Inspector. A medical examination was made, the same day. I made a further examination of the spot on the same day. I found some stones tipped with blood. I found some coral beads and a tooth. At the head of the deceased was lying a piece of board with some blood on it. A foot or two from the body I found a broken string of beads which resembled those previously found. He thought there must have been a struggle, as the string of beads was broken. He cut off a piece of the woman’s petticoat and jacket and circulated them for identification in the parish of Clarendon. On Saturday night he had verbal information that a woman was seen driving in a cart with the prisoner and another woman, Mary E. Richards, a witness. He took a bus after the information received from this witness, and arrested the prisoner on Sunday afternoon, the 30th Dec., at the Vere Race Course. Prisoner was told that he was arrested on suspicion of having murdered the woman. He did not know the name of the woman at that time. He asked prisoner where was the woman who drove in the cart with him. Prison said he had left her in town. He warned him that anything he might say would be used against him at the trial. Without being questioned, he stated that the woman’s name was Estina Crawford, of St. David; that she had been living in Port Limon and Colon for about 13 years. He (prisoner) had had (sic) been living with her for about six months. He appeared to have been drinking, but was not drunk. Without being further questioned he went on to say, that he must thank the Longwood people, who had brought him to this pass. As he made these remarks witness took notes. These he proceeded to read as follows:--“Prisoner said he had better have been at sea than come home.” Speaking to a man named Francis Barclay, he said—“I don’t know why I did it; better for me to have stopped at sea.” To a crowd of persons around the bus he said—“I don’t know why I have brought myself to this.” To Constable Solan, in the bus—“Why should I tell a lie, the things shown me belonged to the woman.” (Witness had shown prisoner a piece of the murdered woman’s dress, which prisoner recognized). Prisoner was taken in an omnibus to Old Harbour, and it was in the bus at different times that these statements were made. The arrest was reported to Inspector Ponsonby. The woman was buried in the Strangers Ground, at the Parish Church of Old Harbour. No identification of the remains was obtained previous to the burial. The body was disinterred on the 3rd of January.

Sarah Barclay, Betty Gale, Rosanna Haines, Elizabeth Howell, George Barclay, Leonora Chambers, William Bennett, and Robert Barclay saw the body on exhumation. He took over some bloodstained clothes on the 2nd inst., there were a flannel petticoat and a portion of a dress. I delivered them to Mr. Bowrey myself. (Inspector Ponsonby here put in a letter from Mr. Bowrey, stating that he was unable to be present as he was summoned to Morant Bay. He had not been able to examine the articles sent him). He also sent some coral beads, an earring and other articles, and a piece of board found on the road. Subsequently he took a jacket and a hat, trowsers and shirt, said to belong to prisoner and obtained from the premises where he was arrested. There were what appeared to be faint marks of blood upon all these articles.

Prisoner was arrested in what was said to be his house. The term Race Course is used for the district. A few stones and a little dirt found by me on the road was also sent to the Island Chemist. He noticed signs of a struggle having taken place on the road near where the body was found and the trace of a wheel in the mud which came to a stop at the point. The cart was found at Vere and was in the hands of the police. Two or three coral beads were found in the crevices of the floor of the cart. A small piece of board was also found on the scene of the murder, such as is used to place across a card to sit upon. One of the beads is still in the car. (This was ordered to be removed and preserved, by the Magistrate.)

By Inspector Ponsonby.—The necklace was fastened by a bit of ribbon. If it had been tied behind it was broken in front. The earring shown was given to me by a man named H. Easy. It matches the one sent to Mr. Bowrey.

Constable Elias Duncan was sworn, and stated that the body exhumed was the same body of the woman found dead, Estina Crawford. I saw the body lying upon the road at the seventh mile stone. I saw the body after it had been disinterred; it was the same body. I saw it on the Spanish Town Road. I knew the deceased, but did not recognize her before the arrest of the prisoner, who told me about the deceased. I then remembered that the last time I saw her was in Costa Rica. We were schoolmates in St. Thomas-ye-East about the year 1867, and she must have been about 27 at her death. I last saw her alive in Costa Rica in 1880.

Samuel Thomas, Constable, Old Harbour, was sworn—I was in charge of the body of the murdered woman. I saw the body put into the coffin saw it buried, and dug up the coffin at the disinterment, It was the same body; on the 29th, being in charge of the body. I saw prisoner pass in a cart about 10 o’clock a.m., and asked him to look at the body. He started back as though he was frightened, when he raised the cloth that covered the body, and a woman, Mrs. Reid asked him why he was frightened. The prisoner said nothing, but got into the cart and drove away.

By Inspector Ponsonby.—Prisoner wore a jacket similar to the one he now has on.

Elizabeth Gale, sworn—I know the deceased. I saw her once at the Alley Market about a week before the Christmas. I identified the body dug up at the church yard, as that of Estina Crawford. I am not married. When I saw her she was in company with the prisoner. Prisoner introduced her as the woman he was living with. Prisoner is my brother’s child. My brother is dead. Prisoner had been off the country some ten years, and they thought he was dead. I never saw him since his return, except on this occasion.

Robert Barclay, sworn—I live at Cocoafalls. I am a coppersmith and plumber. I know the prisoner. I live near his mother Mrs. Ranger. On the 27th Dec., I hired a cart and one mule to the prisoner to bring up some things from Old Harbour, as he had just come from sea.

He left in the cart, accompanied by one they called Miss Crawford, on Thursday afternoon. The prisoner drove. There were only those two in the cart. That is my cart outside. Besides the two there was a bundle of grass, and a piece of movable board as a seat. Prisoner returned in the evening of the 29th with the cart and mule. He was then alone. He said he had left Miss Crawford at home sick, in Kingston, and was going back for her in three days time. He said he meant to bring her back by taking the train and getting a bus in Old Harbour. The seat was not brought back with the cart. He brought a big trunk from Kingston. I saw the dead body after it was dug up. It was that of the woman, I saw with the deceased in my cart. I hired the cart to go to Old Harbour. I would not have hired it to go to Spanish Town. Prisoner told me he would not return before Saturday 29th. The hire was 6s. It would have been 8s. to Spanish Town. He did not tell me he was going with the cart to Spanish Town. On Sunday the constable called his attention to spots of blood about the wheel. Prisoner is my sister’s son.

Prisoner asked no questions of the witnesses.

To be continued.

Daily Gleaner
Monday, 14 January 1889

The continuation of the report of the Magisterial investigation into the murder of Estina Crawford by Ranger, will be found on our first page. The investigation will be resumed tomorrow by H . J. Bicknell, Esq., at Spanish Town.

Daily Gleaner
Monday, 14 January 1889

Spanish Town.

(Before H. J. Bicknell, Esq., Resident Magistrate.)

(Concluded from Friday’s issue.)

Mary Ann Richards was next sworn.—I live in Old Harbour. I am not married. On Thursday 29th Dec. I was in Free Town at a dance. I left at 11 o’clock with Louisa Armstrong and a man named Bonner. We were walking, we heard a cart coming behind us. It overtook us. Prisoner was driving it. A woman was in the cart. Bonner asked for a light. Prisoner refused Bonner. I asked him to give me a lift. Prisoner questioned the woman in the cart in Spanish. I heard the woman say yes. Prisoner said he would give the two women a lift, but not Bonner, as he could stand the journey best. Louisa Armstrong and myself got in and sat on the grass. The other woman with prisoner, laid her in my lap. I covered her with part of my shawl. She said she had come from Costa Rica and had left her things in Kingston. She called prisoner Benjy, and said her hat was being crushed in the bundle. Benjy took the hat out of the bundle and it was passed to Armstrong and myself to examine. It was a white hat with a black ribbon round it. The woman asked prisoner for matches to light a cigar. I asked for two matches to use when I got home. The woman told me her name was Estina Crawford. I told my name. The prisoner is the man who was in the cart that night. We got out at my gate about a quarter of a mile from Old Harbour. The woman’s head was tied up in a handkerchief. She had on a dress, pieces of which were shown me by Solan the Constable. I saw the dress when the woman drew the matches. There was a bundle of grass in the cart, and a bundle in a red shawl, out of which the woman took the hat. She said her clean clothes were in the bundle. I saw the deceased after she was dug up. It is the same woman whom I saw in the cart. Prisoner never spoke except about the hat, during the whole time.

Louisa Armstrong sworn; I live with Mary Ann Elizabeth Richards. I was with her at Freetown on 27th December. We left the dance before midnight. Bonner, Mary Ann Richards and myself. We were overtaken by a cart coming from there. The prisoner was in the cart with a woman. He was asked for a lift. He spoke to the woman, who said he might give the female a lift but not the man.

Mary Ann Richards said—I got into the cart; I sat in front by the side of the prisoner on a piece of board placed across the cart. Prisoner had on a blue jacket and trowser and a brown felt hat, with a black ribbon round it. The woman asked him for a light, calling him Benjy. The woman lighted a cigar and smoked. Prisoner also lighted a cigar. After going some distance the woman asked for her hat out of the bundle. She took I tout of the bundle and held it in her hand. The woman’s head was tied up with a red handkerchief. We got out, and the prisoner and the woman drove on.

Chas. Langley, sworn—I am cook at the Spanish Town Leapers’ Home. On Friday morning, 28th Dec., at 5 a.m. I was going to my work; I saw the prisoner at Oxford Road on that morning a little after five. He was walking from the railway station. He asked me for a light for his pipe; I drew a match for him and gave it to him and he lighted his pipe. He asked me if I could tell him where he could put a mule and a cart till he came back from Kingston. I said “follow me.” I took him to Mrs. Bryan, in Oxford Road, and they arranged about the cart remaining there. I saw no cart. I could not see how he was dressed. We parted, and I went to my work.

Rosanna Bryan sworn—I live at Oxford Road, I am a widow. On Friday 28th December, Langley brought the prisoner to me, saying that he wanted to put up his mule and dray while he went to Kingston. I consented. The prisoner went away and returned with a mule and cart from the Railway. There was no lady in the cart. There was no grass. There was no driving board. Prisoner led the mule. The cart was left outside and the mule taken out. Prisoner asked for a cup of coffee, which I gave him. He gave me sixpence to buy some grass for the beast. He went to Kingston. He returned in the evening with a large Colon trunk and a red blanket, a tin pan and a large basket. He slept in my yard and went away early next morning with the things in the cart. He paid me a shilling. When he left for Kingston he had on a grey kind of flannel coat. I did not notice the trowsers. He wore a different hat to the one he now has on. He remained in the yard all night.

William Dailey Neish, sworn—I am District Medical Officer of Old Harbour. On Dec. 28th I made an examination of the dead body of a woman lying on the Spanish Town and Old Harbour road. I judged her age to have been about 25. She was a black woman. She had not been identified at the time of examination. I was not called to examine the body after exhumation. I made a post mortem examination. This is my report. (Report read.) The blow on the face was, in my opinion, first delivered, and would ultimately have caused death. Death resulted from hemorrhage and shock from the division of the left carotid artery. The injury to the face was caused by some blunt instrument. One heavy blow would have caused the injuries to the head. The upper and lower jaws, the nasal bones, and the left orbit and forehead bones were fractured. The woman had been dead some fourteen or sixteen hours when examined at about 2 p.m.. The feet were soft, and she had been accustomed to wear boots. Two teeth were found lying loose in the mouth. I think it likely that she was sitting or lying down in the cart when she received the blows. The traces of blood kept a straight line from the milestone to the place where she was found. Her throat was cut afterwards, when she had been thrown by the side of the road. Here a large pool of blood from the carotid artery was found. The piece of wood from the cart would, if used edgewise, have caused the injuries to the head described. (Photographs of the deceased taken after death were here produced, which Dr. Neish had taken much trouble to produce.) The Doctor here signed a statement of his evidence.

Henry Nathan Hibbert, sworn: I live at 138 Barry Street, Kingston. I am a shopkeeper, and rent rooms in my yard. I rented a room to the prisoner and a female, who was with him about the 6th or 7th of December, when the steamer arrived from Colon. The woman’s name was Justina or Estina. I don’t know the other name. I identify the photograph as that of the woman. They left about Dec. 18 to go into the country. I heard the woman say, to introduce her to his mother and family, to be married. When they left they locked the door, and left some things in the room. I never saw the woman again, but I saw the prisoner on the morning of the 28th Decr. After the 9 o’clock train had come in. He came to the premises for his things and gave up the room. My wife asked him for his “lady,” and he said she was sick and had sent to saw “how d’ye do.” He took away a trunk; he had a red blanket; he took nothing else. He gave away a few things in the yard. He left for the train in the afternoon. He came in the morning with a little bundle tied in a red handkerchief. The prisoner and the woman were both intemperate. I have seen them both in liquor; mostly the woman.

Eliza Reid, sworn. My husband is William Reid. I live at McCook’s pen on the Old Harbor Road. On 28th December, I was placed in charge of the dead body of a woman by the Corporal. (Photograph shown.) I identify this photographs as that of the woman. I saw the prisoner while I was watching the dead body. The prisoner came up in a cart on the 29th (Saturday) as I was watching the body. He came from the direction of Spanish Town. I took him to the body. Constable Thomas asked prisoner to come and see the body. I raised the cloth from the face and asked him if he knew the face. He said “no”. He commenced to tremble, I asked him why he trembled so much. He rubbed his eyes with his hand. He said he had a cold in his eyes. I asked him when he went up to town, and he replied, “Wednesday.” He had come by the boat on Tuesday from Colon. He was going back to fetch his things from Kingston. I asked him why he did not bring his things with him instead of having to return with a cart for them. He made no reply. He afterwards moved the cart and went away. He sat on a trunk in the cart. At this time the body had not been identified. The body was buried by Thomas the constable on the afternoon of 28th. I took off the clothes from the body.

Joseph Easy, sworn—I live at Hartlands. I am a planter. About 2 or 3 chains from the cross [road?]. About 7 o’clock on the morning of 28th Dec., I saw a dead body on the road side, on the right hand going towards the Spanish Town. I saw the blood on the neck. There was a covering on the head. The face was covered. I saw three men coming, and I told them. This was the body examined by the Doctor. When I returned from a funeral, to which I had to go I saw a crowd round the body but I did not stop. About three chains from where the body law I found this earring, in the centre of the road. I afterwards gave the ring to the constabulary.

Rosannah Chambers, a girl of about twelve years old.—sworn—I live at McCook’s pen with Mrs. Sea[t?]on. On Friday the day they found the dead body, I went for water at the water bridge and found a female’s hat on the bank of the river. It was a white straw hat with a black ribbon. There was blood on the hat. I washed it in the river. This man pointing to the Detective Hewett took the hat. At this point the Court adjourned till Tuesday next. (to-morrow.)

Daily Gleaner
Wednesday, 16 January 1889

The Murder of Estina Crawford

Magisterial Investigation at Spanish Town.

The inquiry into the murder of Estina Crawford was resumed at Spanish Town yesterday before H. J. Bicknell, Esq., Resident Magistrate.

The following are the depositions of the witnesses examined when our reporter left at the last investigation on Friday last.

J. G. Hewett sown, said—I am a Detective officer. I took the hat from Chambers on Friday 28th December. It looked as if it had been washed. There were several marks of blood on it. I know the spot where Rosanna Chambers says she found the hat. It is about ¾ of a mile on the Spanish Town side, from where the body was found.

Thomas Cadbury, sworn—I live at the McCook Pen—I remember 20th December. I found a tooth also. These I gave to Sergeant-Major DaCosta.

Ernest Ebenezer Chambers.—I keep and drive an omnibus. I knew the prisoner. I saw him on 29th December at Old Harbour between 11 and 12 o’clock. I asked him where he was coming from. He said from town. I asked him if he had seen the fearful occurrence on the road. He said yes. I asked him if he had been stopped. He said yes, but could they think he would do a think like that. He said he went to town on Thursday and left the woman looking after some things; that she would not be returned until midday train, and I must look out for her. Then he said he would go himself and fetch her and would come and see me. He left me saying he was going to look after his cart opposite Melhado’s place.

J.J. Bowrey sworn.—I am the Island Analytical Chemist. On Jan. 2 I received from Sergt. Major DaCosta this board, marked 1 (produced.) There are several spots of blood upon it. Another piece of board stated to be part of the cart numbered 2 (produced.) Some marks of blood on it, but some of it has been scraped off by Sergt. Major DaCosta and sent to me in a piece of paper. Another piece of wood marked 3, has a considerable amount of blood on one edge and one point. A parcel of shavings No. 4 (produced.) The shavings had marks of blood on them. No. 5 is a straw hat, I found no blood upon it. No. 6 is a parcel containing a necklace of coral; all the strings were cut. There is blood both on the ribbon with which it is tied and on the beads. A small packet containing a gold earring and a tooth, was also sent me, to all appearance it is a human tooth. A colored handkerchief, No. 7 containing stones, loose coral beads like those of the necklace, a number of dry leaves and match stick, all stained with blood, including the handkerchief. No. 8 is a bundle of torn female clothing, all more or less considerably stained with blood. On the 5th instant Sergt. Major DaCosta forwarded a parcel containing male clothing. An alpaca jacket, a colored handkerchief, a white shirt, and a pair of blue pants, all free from blood.

By Inspector Ponsomby—I did not see marks of blood on the earrings.

The prisoner asked no questions.

Mr. Bowrey signed his evidence.

By Inspector Ponsonby—If the blood was wet, it might have stained the handkerchief. (The Inspector stated that the handkerchief had nothing to do with the case. It was used simply to wrap up the articles.)

Robt. Barclay re-examined.—This is the seat of my cart. It was never fastened, it was left loose. The other board is a side piece of my cart. I found this earring on that day about a chain from where the dead body lay.

Detective Hewett—The hat produced is the one I took from Rosanna Chambers.

Mary Ann Richards—I identify the hat as the one worn by the woman in the cart.

Constable—I arrested the prisoner at Vere Race Course on Sunday, 30th Dec. I told him it was on suspicion of having murdered a woman on the Spanish Town Road. He said in Spanish and in English—“No, it was not me.” I said, never mind, if it is not you, you will be let go. He asked me to go to service with him. I consented to go, but after a little distance I again declared him my prisoner. He tried to escape. I handcuffed him. Constable Solan and I took him in a bus. I found the cart the same day at Mr. Barclay’s yard. I saw spots of blood on the inside. I put the box belonging to the prisoner taken in a house next door to the one in which I arrested prisoner into the cart. This trunk was marked with E.C. and B. Rodgers. (Box produced. It is marked with E.C. and on a piece of paper partially obliterated are the words Crawford Colon. On the end of the trunk there is a name, Miss M. So[u?]en.) When in custody he was shewed the woman’s clothing—a frock body and a piece of skirt and a coral necklace. These he recognized. I asked him in Spanish where the woman was from. He said from St. Davids, Yallahs Bay. I delivered the trunk to Sergt.-Major DaCosta unopened and locked.

Inspector Ponsonby deposed to the opening of the trunk in the presence of the prisoner, and the finding of various papers produced. Statements of moneys paid by Estina Crawford to one George Johnson; a lot of female clothing, spoons and other articles. Prisoner admitted that the dresses and things were Estina Crawford’s, and that the accounts were washing accounts, belonging to her. I brought the prisoner myself from Old Harbour on Sunday 30th, and lodged him in the County Jail.

Edward Walsingham sworn.—I am Superintendent of the Middlesex and Surrey County Jail. Prisoner was lodged with me on 31st Dec. last; on the same day he requested to be allowed to write a letter. I gave him material to write on Wednesday the 2nd. He wrote two letters on that day, one to his brother [mother?] and one to Mr. Robinson of Vere. I had copies made of them, and posted the originals. Prisoner addressed the letters in my presence, and they were both put into one envelope addressed to A. E. Robinson, Vere, Milk River Post Office. This is an exact copy of the letters. They were copied by my Chief Officer Spooner. The Magistrate instructed the originals of the letter to be obtained.

The Prisoner read the certified copies.

The prisoner, in answer to the Magistrate, said he had no witnesses to call.

Sergeant-Major DaCosta, in answer to the Magistrate, said that in a conversation when in custody on the 30th, prisoner stated that deceased had about £38 with her, with which she intended to buy wedding things in Kingston. No money was found either on the deceased or on the prisoner.

The witnesses then signed their depositions and entered into recognizance to appear at the trial at the Circuit Court on Monday 21st Jany, and the accused was remanded until Thursday next for the production of the original letters written by the prisoner whilst in jail.

Daily Gleaner
Thursday, 24 January 1889

At the Circuit Court held in Spanish Town on Tuesday, before Mr. Justice Northcote, the case of Regina vs. Benjamin Ranger, charged with the murder of a woman named Letitia Crawford, was heard, the Hon S.C. Burke, acting Attorney General, prosecuting, and Mr. Barrister R. H. Coke, defending the prisoner. The trial lasted until a late hour in the evening, and at its close the jury, after hearing the address of Counsel and the Judge’s charge, returned a verdict of guilty. The Judge thereupon delivered the usual address and pronounced the death-sentence upon the prisoner.

Daily Gleaner
Tuesday, 5 February 1889

Benjamin Ranger, who was convicted at the last sitting of the St. Catherine Circuit Court, held in Spanish Town, before Mr. Justice Northcote, for the murder of the woman Letitia Crawford, was hung this morning within the precincts of the Middlesex and Surrey County Gaol.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

Many thanks for posting this exhaustive and highly interesting series of articles about the 28 December 1888 murder of the black woman Letitia Crawford in St. Catherine, Jamaica, for which Benjamin Ranger was convicted and later hung on Tuesday, 5 February 1889. If Ranger was her killer and he had, as was stated, lived with her for six months before the murder, it seems that he could not have been the Whitechapel murderer. Excellent work in posting this valuable material, Stephen.

All the best

Chris

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fascinating!
Amazing how much that we simply didn't know back in 1988 has now come to light.
All the best,
Martin F

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An 1886 map of South-Eastern Jamaica can be found at: http://casebook.org/images/jamaica_map.jpg

It shows the main locations, such as Spanish Town, Kingston and Old Harbour. Vere Race Course was in the district of Clarendon, off the map to the south west.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Stephen, are those blood stains on the map?!!!! blush

Martin, you are exactly right, of course, that more and more new information keeps coming to light. In writing a short while ago a portion of the editorial for the August 15-17 Liverpool convention issue of Ripperologist, in which Paul and I talk about the headway made in the last 15 years, I have emphasized the importance of the numerous "forgotten" newspaper articles that are coming to light that are greatly adding to our knowledge of the case itself and related crimes. We may never know for sure who Jack was but I do believe our knowledge of the murderer and his times is being increased with the press reports that Chris Scott, Stephen Ryder, and others are finding. Bravo!

Best regards

Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.