Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Orion Pattern? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Orion Pattern? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and have spent two days reading everything. Anyway, I was looking at the pattern of the location of the killings and something sort of jumped out at me: Doesn't the locations of the where the bodies were found look like a partial design of the Orion constellation?

Wolf Vanderlinden
Sergeant
Username: Wolf

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Eric. The pattern of the location of the murders might indeed look like a partial design of the Orion constellation. It also looks like a Vesica Piscis, a pentagram, a Christian Cross, an inverted Christian Cross, a Patriarchal Cross, an arrow and, finally, a dagger that will point to the murderer. All these suggestions have been made as to what the pattern of the murder sites might show. What it actually seems to show is that people will connect the dots and their minds will make shapes appear.

Wolf.

Zkot
Sergeant
Username: Humanvulture

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Eric, Wolf...

Actually, I saw the true face of Jack the Ripper in some ketchup droppings the last time I feasted on a Carl's Jr. Superstar.

Ciao!

Scott (with a Z)

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was asking a serious question and I don't appreciate being made fun of. I'm certainly no Ripperologist and only took an interest a few days ago.
Does anyone have a map that shows the location of all the known and suspected murders? Particularly, White's Row. After looking at the locations of the known murders and the grafitti, Dutsfield Yard is too far east to make an appropriate location for the Orion pattern.

Eric

Zkot
Sergeant

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies, Eric. I meant no harm. Wolf's last sentence just struck me a bit comical, that's all. And I don't believe it was his intention to make fun of you either.

Wolf wrote: "What it actually seems to show is that people will connect the dots and their minds will make shapes appear."

And there is some definite truth in that statement.

Cheers,

Scott (with a Z)

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric,

There's a map on the Casebook located here: Casebook map

If you notice the layout, while patterns may be visible, the most striking pattern that I can see is that each of the locations is within relatively short walking distance from a major thoroughfare: Miller's Court, Goulston Street, Hanbury Street and George Yard are near Commercial Street; Mitre Square is near Aldgate Street, which turns into Whitechapel High Street; Dutfield's Yard is near Commercial Road; and Buck's Row is near Whitechapel High Street.

This not only afforded prostitutes easy access to heavily walked areas, but also provided the Ripper a means to melt back into the crowd after completing a murder.

I believe that these two reasons easily and logically explain the location of the murder sites.

To argue that the Ripper planned the locations in advance based on some specific motive results in the introduction of thousands of random variables that would have exponentially complicated the murders, and accordingly exponentially increased the chances of his making an error or being caught.

The human mind has a penchent for finding patterns where none exist - and I think that's what we have here.

Keep reading and keep learning! The case only gets more frustrating as you go on. ;) And don't let our crude sense of humor get your dander up. Contrary to popular belief, we've all got a bit of "showoff" in our blood, so we love it when new people come around.

B

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Orion’s Belt I do solemnly swear,
to carve up whores without a care.
And lay their bits at the cardinal points,
heart and liver and a few nice joints.
And so the stars shall speak my name,
and heaven be privy to me jolly game.
This one be pentagram,
or some strange diagram.
This one be a right rumpus,
with all points of compass.
This one be the constellation,
even when it bear no relation,
to the Milky Way…
So gay anyway.
No, without plan,
so Jack began,
his trail of slaughter,
daughter by daughter.
Without numeral efficiency,
his dark doings merely felicity.
Who knows upon what he feeds?
Who knows his strange needs?
Who knows truth from his deeds?
A few dead whores,
and the stars for sure.

Chris Scott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric
For any (like myself!) not too familar with the layout of Orion Im attaching a pic
Chris S orion

Zkot
Sergeant

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice poem, AP.

Perhaps Jack performed his ghastly deeds in the dark to better honour the Great Blind Hunter?

Through a stone garden
Of unrequited love
Twilight's vivisepulchral barracoon
Life and death sing an unquiet duet
In the pitch heavens like fireflies in jars
The vast visage of a weeping deity
Unto the solar sketch
Of Orion above
Shredding themselves upon the sickle moon
Seraphim in celestial bloodshed
Jigsaw puzzle souls fall like broken stars
The sad spawning of incorporeity.

-Zkot

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah Zkot

such soul searching ramblings as your own, warm the cockles of me old heart.
I love vast visages and weeping deities.
Excellent meanderings.
I am about to start my JtR poetry board so that readers who abhore the stuff do not have to suffer our late Victorian whimsical melancholy and frustrated late romantic ponderings.
As I said I am throwing in the only signed mint condition copy of 'Jack the Myth' in the world as the prize.
If Stephen allows.
And Stephen be the judge.
If Stephen allows.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,
The map I was hoping to get was one that would show not just the canonical 5 victims, but also all the alleged victims murder locations.
Nevertheless, I've decided to move to Hollywood and make a movie: "Jack the Ripper: The Orion Murderer" Why, you may ask? Because I'm American and Americans never let facts get in the way of making money. :-)
Seriously though, if any has a map showing the alleged victims murder locations, I would appreciate it. My knowledge of London is virtually nil, although I've been there a few times.

RosemaryO'Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Eric,

Please be clear. What is meant by "partial constellation"?
Rosey :-)

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rosemary,
If the killer was indeed making a pattern of the constellation Orion, it is incomplete by showing the locations of just the 5 canonical victims, Tambram and the graffitti. I was hoping to find a map showing the locations of all the suspected victims so I could see if that what what the killer was actually doing. With the locations of what I mentioned above, the legs, body, and part of Orion's belt is there.

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric,

My post above points you to a map. Did you find it?

And again - despite the appearance of the Orion there, the chances that the Ripper had this in mind, and would be able to pull it off flawlessly are astronomically high - in the Trillion to One range.

B

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,
Yes, I found that map. That was the one I was looking at when I saw the "alleged pattern". That map does not include all the suspected victims' murder locations, like Annie Millwood, Rose Myllet, MacKensie, Coles, etc. I was hoping to find a map that showed all of their murder locations.

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey--nice poems everyone! My advice, go to an author with it, he'll give it out..

I'll join the Great Circle of Ripper Poets (GCRP)
with my own piece of poetry....

Walking the dark alleyways
of London, big ol' town,
A shadow, shivering with cought
walks through the gastly night.
Don't talk to him,
no, stay away.
He might hear you,
might response,
but words can be poison too.
He's not living in your world
won't hear your words so true.
Just let him go, and let him pass
and don't look anymore.
A danger for this country,
someone you'd rather lose.
He is a secret in the dark
and in those foggy nights
no one might know just what he does
when he is passing by.

Dark thoughts fly in the nightly air
and find their own dark way.
What does this shadow, stranger, think
what does this night mean to him?

Another night
alone tonight.
Perhaps you'd hear him say.
But nobody can change his mind
this stranger's got his way.

But it aint hate we're looking for
'tis love we need to find.
If he'd find it he might have left
these choking thoughts behind.

But-who of us-
could've make him see
what anybody needs?
Who'd be able
to tell him
that he's worth as much
as everyone else?
Who could tell him
that a human
is like a treasure
we need to keep?
No one might
have tried

To break the ice
of the frozen lake
the crakling snow
that keeps falling
in his heart?

Anybody could.
If we only knew
what would be
the consequences
of the lack of love......

't might be a little philosophic.. *Petra's subconscious says..* 'You're a peanut y'know.. I mean, this poem doesn't make sense.. 'tis just not true what you state.' *Petra replies:* 'No, it isn't! I believe love and trust could've changed a lot! And b'sides, if it's not true, 'tis a lie.'
Subconscious: ' liar, liar... but 'tis a nice lie I have to say.. I'll let you lie if it makes you feel good.. See ya!' Petra: 'Yeah right.. '

Looking smart, huh, those converstaions with myself..
Bye
Petra

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.