Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Autopsies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Autopsies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Naree
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am doing a graduate-level paper on the findings of the coroners for each of the canonical victims. However, I am at a bit of a loss since (though I am familiar with current autopsy processes) what the procedures for performing autopsies were like in Victorian England. Can anyone point me towards an accepted standard, and if possible, how that information pertains to the canonical victims?

Thank you in advance.

Jon Smyth
Inspector
Username: Jon

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naree.
Have you approached the Royal College of Surgeons?

You need access to archives of medical literature in England.

Regards, Jon

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Naree

Any good medical library should have books on Victorian autopsy practices as well as journals that cover the topic (that is, both books and articles that would give you a historical retrospective, as well as material written at the time). Good luck in your search.

Best regards

Chris George

(Message edited by chrisg on September 28, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Naree

By coincidence, the copy of the 1887 Coroner's Act which John Savage generously has provided me arrived today (setting what I'm pretty sure is some kind of transAtlantic record). Although you're looking for something on medical procedure, there's a significant section dealing with coroners' power over medical witnesses and post-mortem examinations. Might be a bit of background helpful to your paper.

I'll transcribe and post that section here in a bit, in case it's of use to you.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Naree

Joan O'Liari posted a good link to some info on Victorian autopsies, but I can't remember where it is now!

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naree,

This is just a small extract from the Coroner's Act, 1887. This section lays out who the coroner could call as a medical witness, how much they were to be paid, penalties for witnesses not showing up, etc. Please note I haven't proofed for typos in my transcription.

Medical Witnesses and Post-mortem Examinations.

21.—(1.) Where it appears to the coroner that the deceased was attended at his death or during his last illness by any legally qualified medical practitioner, the coroner may summon such practitioner as a witness; but if it appears to the coroner that the deceased person was not attended at his death or during his last illness by any legally qualified medical practitioner, the coroner may summon any legally qualified medical practitioner who is at the time in actual practice in or near the place where the death happened, and any such medical witness as is summoned in pursuance of this section, may be asked to give evidence as to how, in his opinion, the deceased came to his death.
(2.) The coroner may, either in his summons for the attendance of such medical witness or at any time between the issuing of that summons and the end of the inquest, direct such medical witness to make a post-mortem examination of the body of the deceased, with or without an analysis of the contents of the stomach or intestines.
Provided that where a person states upon oath before the coroner that in his belief the death of the deceased was caused partly or entirely by the improper or negligent treatment of a medical practitioner or other person, such medical practitioner or other person shall not be allowed to perform or assist at the post-mortem examination of the deceased.
(3.) If a majority of the jury sitting at an inquest are of opinion that the cause of death has not been satisfactorily explained by the evidence of the medical practitioner or other witnesses brought before them, they may require the coroner in writing to summon as a witness some other legally qualified medical practitioner named by them, and further to direct a post-mortem examination of the deceased, with or without an analysis of the contents of the stomach or intestines, to be made by such last-mentioned practitioner, and that whether such examination has been previously made or not, and the coroner shall comply with such requisition, and in default shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

22. A legally qualified medical practitioner who has attended at a coroner’s inquest in obedience to a summons of the coroner under this Act shall be entitled to receive such remuneration as follows; that is to say,
(a.) For attending to give evidence at any inquest whereat no post-mortem examination has been made by such practitioner, one guinea; and
(b.) For making a post-mortem examination of the body of the deceased, with or without an analysis of the contents of the stomach or intestines, and for attending to give evidence thereon, two guineas:
Provided that—
(1.) Any fee or remuneration shall not be paid to a medical practitioner for the performance of a post-mortem examination instituted without the previous direction of the coroner:
(2.) Where an inquest is held on the body of a person who has died in a county or other lunatic asylum, or in a public hospital, infirmary, or other medical institution, or in a building or place belonging thereto, or used for the reception of the patients thereof, whether the same be supported by endowments or by voluntary subscriptions, the medical officer, whose duty it may have been to attend the deceased person as a medical officer of such institution as aforesaid, shall not be entitled to such fee or remuneration.

23. Where a medical practitioner fails to obey a summons of a coroner issued in pursuance of this Act, he shall, unless he shows a good and sufficient cause for not having obeyed the same, be liable on summary conviction on the prosecution of the coroner or of any two of the jury, to a fine not exceeding five pounds.

24. Where a place has been provided by a sanitary authority or nuisance authority for the reception of dead bodies during the time required to conduct a post-mortem examination, the coroner may order the removal of a dead body to and from such place for carrying out such examination, and the cost of such removal shall be deemed to be part of the expenses incurred in and about the holding of an inquest.

Regarding #24, I believe that in the case of Coroner Wynne Baxter, who conducted inquests into the deaths of Polly Nichols, Annie Chapman, and Elizabeth Stride, the place that was provided for the reception of corpses was nothing more than a shed.

I also think it's interesting that juries had the power, if they had no confidence in a medical witness, to compel the coroner to provide another witness and even to conduct another post-morterm examination.

Hope that's helpful to you in some way.

Cheers,
David

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naree -- when you get your dissertation done could you please post it on the Casebook? I would love to read it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.