Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through May 13, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Check This Space (Monthly or Yearly) » Archive through May 13, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John V. Omlor
Inspector
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS!

Welcome everyone, to one of Diary World's special celebrations!

We are especially delighted that you could join us here for the

First Annual International Day of Diary Testing Awareness

Diary Testing Awareness Day, or DiTA Day as we like to call it here, is a simple thing, really. It's a joyous celebration of everything that is the crazy, topsy-turvy, high-speed world of Maybrick Diary Investigations.

Now, I know what you are asking. Why today, of all days? Why now?

Well, I'll tell you.

You see, exactly one year ago, at exactly this moment, I was right here on the boards, engaged in on ongoing discussion with a poster still among us about getting the Maybrick Diary thoroughly and properly retested by a reputable scientific lab.

And, just in passing, almost as a side note, on that day, at this time, I wrote these words -- the founding words of DiTA Day.

Here's a small suggestion. Today is the 14th of July. Let's agree to meet here around the middle of every month, from now on, and see if the diary has been thoroughly and properly re-tested by a reputable scientific organization.

After all the talk, after all the discussions and arguments and pushing and resistance and all the rest, only one thing matters. Will this document, one that is clearly suspicious and whose origins remain an unsettled question, be re-examined by professionals in a laboratory setting in order to discover whatever is possible about it in an objective fashion? Each month, we can stop by here for a moment and see what the answer is to that question.

Now, it quickly became apparent that stopping by on the 14th of every month was, shall we say, a bit too optimistic of a suggestion.

So I decided to wait a full year. That's right. I figured I'd let the first twelve months of visits go by and then start our little tradition of gathering each month to see what had actually happened.

And now, a full three hundred and sixty five (or was it sixty-six) days later, here I am. Here we all are. Just checking in.

And here in Diary World, where our motto ("Nothing new, Nothing real") bespeaks our history, we have now established DiTA Day, where on July 14th of every year, good and true men and women shall gather in the spirit of circular craziness that is our wont and take a moment to see if any new test results are to be read and discussed and then share a friendly drink or twelve.

DiTA day, incidentally, is proudly sponsored by Guinness. Guinness -- Now you can drink it right from the bottle. -- "Brilliant!"

So, here's the plan.

On the 14th of each month, I will sign on to this thread and see if any results from any tests are available for reading or discussion.

If they are, I'll call everyone's attention to them and we'll see what they say.

If there is "nothing new, nothing real," I'll send a five word post to this thread. It will read, simply:

Nothing new, nothing real.

--John

And we'll wait another month.

I have not started this thread for debate about anyone's actions or inactions, motives, feelings, thoughts, ideas, plans, proposals, or any other talk. I won't be mentioning plans for tests or the possibility of tests. There are plenty of other threads on the boards to have those conversations.

This thread is intended exclusively to discuss results, when and if they ever become available. And to provide a quick and easy checkpoint for those wishing to know what has or hasn't appeared in the last month.

I will not post on this thread except to wish everyone a Happy DiTA Day each year and to send the monthly reports (unless others wish to send DiTA Day greetings to each other here in the spirit of celebration -- that would be nice).

Other than that, though, I hope this thread will only be visited once a month, to see what has become available to us in that time.

And once every year, on July 14, we'll all put down our keyboards and our anger and our frustration and our dreams and hopes and desires and join together in the holiday spirit and remember what has brought us all into each other's lives -- Diary World, and the childlike spirit of its founder Mike Barrett, who asks us to remember, in the mode of Uncle Walt, "It all started with a drink."

And so that's how we should celebrate.

Here at Diary World we love all you people. Honestly, we do. Even those with whom we fight and argue, even those we don't love, we really love. Our lives would be just a bit emptier without you.

And so we ask you to take this one special day each year and join us in celebrating the spirit of our World. Where, even if, month after month or year after year, there turns out to be "nothing new, nothing real," we can still come together and celebrate that very nothingness in a happy and joyous way.

[One last thing -- originally my plans for this day included announcing here in this message that I was retiring from all the other diary boards for at least one full year. Everything has been said there at least a million times and as our friend Jennifer recently pointed out, the movement there has become decidedly circular. I had intended to no longer contribute any writing to those boards. But, just this past week, just before our first DiTA Day in fact, my friend Robert returned with new talk of possible tests. So, in light of that good news, I've decided to change my plans and continue reading and contributing to the other boards for now. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I do want to thank Robert, honestly, for at least giving me a reason to continue to share my thoughts there.]

Now back to the celebration.

Throughout the day, special performances will be happening all across Diary World. There'll be dramatic readings and re-enactments, and music and food and rink specials and discounted admission prices and just generally a load of fun for the whole family.

So, you are urged to celebrate wherever you are, too.

Go to your local pub and toast the coming year of Diary World activity. Because here, on this thread, we will have no talk about the past. We are only interested in the future, about all the good stuff that is (or isn't) going to happen in the next twelve months.

Gather your friends together and share a beer or seventeen over some of the diary's wonderful and scary words, or read Crashaw together by candlelight, or browse police evidence lists, or just leave your initials on something. Put on your "tin match box empty... now where have I seen that before?" t-shirts and your Diary World mouse ears and head off to the races and pretend to get into a jealous rage over your wife. All in the spirit of good fun, of course.

But most of all, share the love and warmth and the congenial spirit that is and always has been at the heart of Diary World.

Because here at the World, we may be mean to each other now and then (like our founding fathers, James and Mike), but that doesn't mean we don't love you.

So welcome again, everyone, to DiTA Day! We wish you all the happiest of days.

And please feel free to return on the 14th of each month (if you're an optimist) or each year (if not) to see what new attractions we have for your entertainment pleasure.

And so, I would like to officially open these first annual DiTA Day festivities with the very first DiTA Day report. I do so in a new spirit of optimism, a new spirit of belief in the future, and new anticipation for the months and years ahead.

Ladies and gentleman, the 2004 DiTA day is now officially underway.

Our first report:

"Nothing new, nothing real."

--John

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
Thank f**k (sorry about the language)for that. May I be the first to wish you a HAPPY DiTA Day!

Jennifer
Ps I expect some action on this thread guys!
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Maria Giordano
Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers to all you Diarists and Happy DiTA Day!!

I'll just have a quick one- then I'm off on my search for Polish Jews.
Mags

Harry Mann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 4:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A toast.
Here's to it,and to it,and to it again.
If you ever get to it to do it,or you never get to it to do it again.
Here's to it!.
Happy DiTa day.

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy belated DiTa day !

Perhaps one day when we are old age pensioners, or just about to 'kick the bucket'
The forgerer of the diary will admit his/her fraudulent past on their death bed....Then there will be another book, 'How i faked the ripper diary & when i did it'.

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 606
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS

Today is August 14th, 2004.

Another month has gone by.

So here is our official Diary World mascot, Figment, from the Land of Imagination to help us celebrate our monthly DiTA Update

Figment

********* Nothing new. Nothing real. *********

Thanks, everyone. And see you next month.

--John

Howard Brown
Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Careful there,John !
....or you may wind up looking like this,by the time they get around to testing that Golden Goose!John Omlor, circa 2054 A.D.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 743
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
thats more than five words....I was going to add some more but then i saw figment from the land of imagination and wondered if they make stuffed toys of it!

Jennifer
ps lets hope none of us wind up looking like that for a while How!

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jen,

Yes, I decided the monthly announcements should be at least a little festive.

And they do indeed make and sell stuffed Figments. He's one of the most popular ones, in fact.

In the DiTA spirit,

--John

Chris Phillips
Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the really dramatic fruit that DiTA Day has borne.

Only a month after its inception, we already have:
a serious investigation ongoing in London and Liverpool

Must have been a Figment of my imagination

Oh no! Wait a minute - it may just be that Caz
will continue to look at the available information from previous investigations ...

Chris Phillips

(Message edited by cgp100 on August 14, 2004)

Simon Owen
Detective Sergeant
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its all Top Secret over there in Diary World isn't it ?

Obviously we can't be told whats really happening , because that would spoil the surprise ! So its guessing games and hints and cryptic messages all round , and the tests on the watch kept secret as well ! Isn't Diary World fun ?

Expect a book out next year then , ' Ripper Diary : the Continuing Saga ' , for your $30 you can hear all about the secret stuff but don't expect anyone to admit its a fake ! Oh no ! Why kill the ( cash ) cow when you can still milk it ? Moo !

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would give anything if this thread could play carnival music!
Kelly
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, boys and girls.

This thread is for DiTA announcements and happy DiTA wishes only.

All talk of why the song remains the same must be taken to other threads.

Of course, this time next month a new announcement will appear here, informing everyone whether there are any new results from any new tests.

Thanks for visiting and remember, dreams CAN make wishes come true -- in the Land of Imagination.

See you in September,

--John

Harry Mann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 4:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
In the land of Imagination,there is a road called the 'Road to Oblivion'.Those that travel to Oblivion see no one coming from the opposite direction.
The Maybrickians are on that road.

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS

YES, that's right.

And so it's time to welcome you all again to another dramatic and suspense-filled DiTA Update.

So here's our mascot Figment, direct from the Land of Imagination to point the way.

Figment

*********** Nothing new. Nothing real. **********

Thanks everyone, and see you next month.

--John

Simon Owen
Inspector
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What did happen to those ongoing investigations in London and Liverpool ?

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 773
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah no, Simon,

Here we only discuss results (when and if they ever appear).

Exactly why these updates remain unsurprising must be discussed elsewhere.

But thanks for visiting the DiTA update thread on yet another 14th.

And keep that DiTA spirit alive, won't you?

Much love,

--John

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy DiTA Day, again to all you lurkers.

May the unending search for Truth leave you all a little thirsty on this most festive of anniversaries.
Mags

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy DiTA day everyone! I have an appropriate gift:
nothing!...{new or real, anyway}

-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, it isn't actually the 14th where I am but I don't feel like waiting. So, I shall observe DITA Day + three months by saying I've come to miss Diary World. Maybe nothing was ever real or ever new, but somehow the repetitive bickering was something I could always glance at over my morning coffee before hurrying out the door. It didn't require any careful reading or any effort on my part to frame a post like some other threads. It was just there . . . a fixed point in a universe otherwise in constant flux.

And then it was all gone. Rather like picking up the morning paper and reading a 108 point headline World Ended at Midnight (GMT); Taxes Still Due

Don.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 5:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don!!!!!!!
Hi its the 14th now!!

Hey John,
should i start that jar going for real?

personally I am looking forward to real holidays like xmas when i can have some real time off!!

Jenni

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS

And welcome back, everyone, to the only Diary World thread you need ever read.

Here you will find a friendly place to review and discuss any new tests, any new data, and whatever new (or old) reports are finally published.

Today is indeed the 14th of October.

And a quick review of the past month here in Diary World reveals....

Wait, I think I hear our mascot Figment waking up and making his way over to help with our announcement....

Yes, here he is with the update.

Figment

***** nothing new, nothing real *****

Still.

Thanks everyone. And please try and control your surprise over this month's news.

We'll see everyone here again on the 14th of next month.

Have a fine four weeks and enjoy life and all it has to offer.

All the best,

--John

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was ordering something from Amazon.com the other day, and happened upon the following interesting review of "Ripper Diary" by someone calling himself 'Jack Maybrick.' (this is only an excerpt, the whole review is available on the Amazon website). Mr. Maybrick writes:

"A number of years ago, under a different screen name, I predicted that history would indeed proclaim that James Maybrick was Jack the Ripper on the strength of the Diary, which would ultimately be acknowledged as genuine - but that there was too much contentiousness in the field of "Ripper Studies" to expect this to happen in our lifetime.

This book certainly supports that prediction. Jack the Ripper devotees do not have the ability that paleontologists do to put aside their differences in the common interest of expanding knowledge. This book's "inside story" of the Ripper Diary is largely one of annihilation of the people closest to the diary.

The lion's share of blame falls on the diary's detractors, who seem to have borrowed or anticipated the Clinton/Carville game plan of using the politics of intellectual dishonesty and personal destruction as a weapon against the diary and its proponents. This book recounts how they portray the diary as an ancient forgery when that suits their needs and as a modern forgery when it becomes time to again shift the goalposts.

It recounts how Melvin Harris, the private detective that Harris uses as his goon, segments of the Ripperology establishment, and their followers from the Casebook bulletin board accuse everyone remotely connected with the diary of having "forged" it. It recounts how, like a modern-day Inquisition, these people harass their suspects, attempt to coerce confessions from them, and then as cowards and bullies have done since time immemorial, cry "foul" when their targets defend themselves or retaliate.

The anti-diary camp has used its numbers and abused the legal system to turn mere belief in the authenticity of the diary or even belief in it as an item of historical interest into an Orwellian thought-crime, and this is a principal reason why this reviewer has extricated himself from active involvement with the controversy. '

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, RJ.

It was charming, though clearly not in the DiTA spirit.

Still, a chuckle a day never hurts.

See you next month,

--John

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 866
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS

YES! That's right. Yet ANOTHER month has gone by in Diary World. Here we are on the 14th of November and another fine DITA announcement is called for.

So let's look and see what we find. Here comes our mascot FIGMENT from the Land of Pure Imagination to look for any new test results on either the diary or the watch. And to look for the once mentioned publication of those old watch reports. And to look for any results of all those "ongoing investigations" in London and Liverpool. He's even searching to see if there are any reports of any personal inquiries, travels, experiments, or investigations. He might even check for reports around here of any new tests actually being underway....

Do you think he'll be surprised?

Let's watch...

Figment

Well, guess what he found....

YUP.

**** NOTHING NEW, NOTHING REAL.****

Sorry Figment old pal. Maybe next month.

Remember, we don't discuss questions of why or why not here on this announcement thread, we just report the state of affairs and love everyone, always.

So here's hoping everyone has a very happy DiTA evening and enjoy a beer or two in honor of the birthday tomorrow of a now very old man.

No names will be mentioned.

Filled with the DiTA spirit

--John

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John -

Ya know, I'm somewhat envious. I so wanted to do something very similar to what you did... except you did it first :P

I was going to use a donkey and call him Ass, from the land of ASSumption though >=)

:P

crix0r
P.S. Happy Birthday n' stuff
"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jason,

Well, Diary World is a land of many fictions (and fictional creatures). So there is room for all sorts. And the spirit of DiTA, the ghost of diary testing awareness that haunts us even in its routine absence, blesses all who venture here.

See you all next month!

--John

John V. Omlor
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 909
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS

Yes! That's right! It's the 14th of still another month!

And here we are ready for the last DiTA Report of 2004 (DiTA, for those who are new here, stands for "Diary Testing Awareness").

Once again, we gather together to see if there are any new scientific results, to see if the question that founded our little tradition has been answered.

Here again is our charter statement of purpose"

After all the talk, after all the discussions and arguments and pushing and resistance and all the rest, only one thing matters. Will this document, one that is clearly suspicious and whose origins remain an unsettled question, be re-examined by professionals in a laboratory setting in order to discover whatever is possible about it in an objective fashion? Each month, we can stop by here for a moment and see what the answer is to that question.

Of course, the answer, yet again this month, can be quickly guessed.

Meanwhile, on another front, the word for the month is "ALMOST".

Not in the case of the diary, needless to say, but in the case of the watch.

Articles in a couple of British newspapers, starting with the Daily Mail, mentioned what they called "new evidence" concerning the "Maybrick watch."

Unfortunately, that "new evidence," like so much else here in Diary World, was not "new" at all. In fact, it was a full ten years old.

On the bright side, we did get to see the full texts of these old and preliminary reports here on the website. They can be found on the thread appropriately titled The Watch Reports. They can be discussed there as well, although the discussion, like the reports themselves, has shown us nothing "new." And I'll bet no one is surprised.

And now back to our regularly scheduled DiTA report.

Hey everyone!

Here's Figment stopping by as he does each and every month to search for new results on testing of the alleged Maybrick diary...

Figment

And guess what he has found?

That's right.

For still another month, we have to report that the state of DiTA affairs here in Diary World remains:

***** nothing new, nothing real *****

Oh, well.

Perhaps someday, before we are all dead, Figment will be able to point towards real results.

Or perhaps not.

Meanwhile, Diary World spins on and during this holiday season at least I can joyously wish you all a

HAPPY HAPPY DiTA DAY!!!

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR

--John

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, John, and Happy DiTA Day!! Isn't this JUST the most festive of seasons??

Mags

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy DiTA Day to all!

Maybe we'll get somewhere in 2005, eh! (Not holding my breath, though...)

Bestest,

Lyn

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS

Welcome, everyone, to ANOTHER...

DiTA DAY!!!!!!

Yes, it is the 14th of YET ANOTHER month, and a review of what new tests have been conducted and what new test results are now available on the diary and the watch is in order.

So here we go, the first DiTA report of 2005 is on the way....

And our mascot FIGMENT has arrived to share the moment with us.

Figment

******* Still NOTHING new. Still NOTHING real **********

Oh, well.

Maybe next month the owners of these two artefacts will do the proper thing and give qualified scientists full and unlimited access to this material for thorough testing.

Maybe next month we'll really have something to celebrate.

In the meantime, HAVE A GREAT DiTA DAy everyone.

And celebrate in as joyous a spirit as you can muster given the report.

SEE YOU NEXT MONTH!

--John

Sir Robert Anderson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I gathered that a major problem was that there are so many possible anachronistic elements that might be detected in the paper or ink of the diary that an almost endless battery of tests might have to be undertaken, (meaning an unpredictable and barely finite series of fees)."

Martin Fido 11/03 Casebook posting

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sir Robert,

Yes, I know this response well.

Unfortunately, if you'll go back to the post that started this thread, you'll see that we don't discuss the reasons WHY no tests have been done here; we just report the status and then celebrate in the DiTA spirit.

If you want to know why it is possible to do the tests and learn crucial things without falling into infinity, we can certainly discuss this on another thread.

Meanwhile, watch this space next month to see if either owner has finally done the proper thing and given some professional somewhere full and complete access to these two clearly suspicious items.

Happy DiTA '05!

--John

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Robert, this is definitely not the place for actual questions. This is a special place for John to... how shall I put this politely... verbally pleasure himself. Everyone else tries to stay away. It's not polite to watch such things.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, if you had bothered to read the thread's beginning, Alan, you'd see that the thread was born from these words, written here on the boards over a year and half ago now,

"Here's a small suggestion. Today is the 14th of July. Let's agree to meet here around the middle of every month, from now on, and see if the diary has been thoroughly and properly re-tested by a reputable scientific organization.

After all the talk, after all the discussions and arguments and pushing and resistance and all the rest, only one thing matters. Will this document, one that is clearly suspicious and whose origins remain an unsettled question, be re-examined by professionals in a laboratory setting in order to discover whatever is possible about it in an objective fashion? Each month, we can stop by here for a moment and see what the answer is to that question."

and that I included this explicit statement of purpose:

"I have not started this thread for debate about anyone's actions or inactions, motives, feelings, thoughts, ideas, plans, proposals, or any other talk. I won't be mentioning plans for tests or the possibility of tests. There are plenty of other threads on the boards to have those conversations.

"This thread is intended exclusively to discuss results, when and if they ever become available. And to provide a quick and easy checkpoint for those wishing to know what has or hasn't appeared in the last month."

But thanks for visiting, and Happy DiTA Day to you as well,

--John

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 751
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I said isn't it? I just used a lot fewer words, is all.

So we're in agreement.

Excellent!
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the fine reading, Alan.

See you next month,

--John

Sir Robert Anderson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

" This is a special place for John to... how shall I put this politely... verbally pleasure himself. Everyone else tries to stay away. "

That point is not lost on me. Not to mention the irony of taking umbrage at disruption of this thread, whilst carpet bombing others' attempts to discuss The Sacred Relics. I don't see anyone systematically trying to ruin discussions on The 39 Theory, Sickert, or a dozen other topics.

Just the Diary and the Watch. Or Maybrick himself or the Missus. That's off limits.

The ironic part of all this is that I don't see anyone putting these items forward as genuine; the "worst" I see is folks saying that we can't be 100% certain, even based on textual evidence, or as Mr. Fido says, further tests might themselves be inconclusive.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sir Robert,

Please understand that I'm not trying to ruin any discussion. Just move it.

I'm more than happy to discuss anything you might care to mention over on any of the other many threads already dedicated to and involved in debating the plans for, difficulty with, potential consequences of, and the delaying of the proper testing of these items.

Here we just report monthly and celebrate.

But blow in my ear, and I'll follow you anywhere,

Yours in the DiTA spirit,

--John

Sir Robert Anderson
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Here we just report monthly and celebrate."

Not quite.

In the true spirit of DiTA, I think it only fit that folks browsing the thread in the future become aware what experts in the Ripper field have thought as to what exactly can and cannot be expected from such testing.

Only then will True Awareness spread through the land.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Consequently, I have addressed your citation of Martin's concerns explicitly and in detail on the "Testing the Watch" thread in a message posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 12:33 pm.

All those interested can find it there.

Thanks, and see you right here again next month, when we'll learn what has and has not been done.

--John

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS!

YES, THAT'S RIGHT!

For those who let time slip by unnoticed, here we are again.

It's the 14th of yet another month.

And so once again, we gather on this site to check and see what new tests have finally been performed on the alleged Maybrick diary and watch and see what new test results are available for examination.

And here to join us, on this the most ROMANTIC DiTA day of the year, is the mascot everyone loves, FIGMENT. He's come to tell us what he's found.

Figment

***** Nothing new. Nothing real. *****

Oh, well.

Still, FIGMENT wants to wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day and remind them that here in Diary World, DiTA day is all about LOVE. Especially loving those with whom you disagree and those who might, one day, eventually, before we all die, with any luck, perhaps, possibly, finally fulfill the DiTA dream and provide qualified professionals with full access to these suspicious items for complete and thorough testing.

In the meantime, FIGMENT and I hope everyone has a wonderful DiTA experience this Valentine's day.

Enjoy a complimentary bottle of Valentine's Meat Juice on us.

From Diary World, where the years pass and events move slower than man's own evolution,

--John

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
meat juice?
Jenni
ps five word rule

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That night, a search was made of the house primarily by the Maybrick brothers and the domestics in order to find some evidence of Mrs. Maybrick's guilt. Alice Yapp found a sealed envelope labelled "Arsenic -- poison for cats," as well as five bottles, a container of Valentine's meat juice, a rag, a glass, a scrapbook with some pages missing, a gentleman's gold watch, and a handkerchief. The first contained large amounts of arsenic, while the others carried either small or trace amounts -- enough arsenic was found in that house, it is said, to have killed fifty people (two grains being enough to kill one man).

Read on ...
http://www.casebook.org/suspects/james_maybrick/floriemay.html

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Chris
ps five word rule again!

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS!

YES, that's right!

It's the 14th of YET ANOTHER MONTH!

And so, it is time for yet another joyous DiTA day here in Diary World, where apparently nothing ever changes except the seasons.

And here comes our friendly and ever curious mascot FIGMENT straight from the Land of Imagination to review this month's postings and see if he can find any new test results on either the diary or the watch and to answer our founding question, first asked here almost two full years ago, "After all the talk, after all the discussions and arguments and pushing and resistance and all the rest, only one thing matters. Will this document, one that is clearly suspicious and whose origins remain an unsettled question, be re-examined by professionals in a laboratory setting in order to discover whatever is possible about it in an objective fashion?"

Let's see what he finds this month....

Figment

************ NOTHING NEW, NOTHING REAL! ***********

Oh, well.

Maybe next month...

As an aside, Figment would like to report that he did come across one delightful new idea!

And it was so insightful and brilliant that he felt it should receive honorable mention.

At some point this month, an unregistered poster whose name need not be mentioned actually suggested via some lovely Feldmaniacal rhetorical questioning that critics of Maybrick's candidacy for the Ripper killings were simply engaged in some massive diversionary tactic designed deliberately to keep Ripperology afloat! They put it this way:

"Can someone explain how it has happened that such a likely suspect is rejected by "experts" who, having no-one better to suggest, promote the said "no-one better"?

"Is it because it draws us away from the danger of discovering the truth, ending the confusion & subsequently ruining the bloated industry of "Ripperology"? I mean, who'd be interested anymore?"

Drat! Our secret's out!

All this time, several of us have really been dedicated solely to the principle of preventing anyone from "discovering the truth and ending the confusion." Yes. I'll admit it. I too am part of a secret organization headed by an unnamed Ripper expert dedicated to destroying the diary and the watch so that no one ever realizes the truth and Ripperology as a bloated industry can go on forever. That's always been exactly our motive! The complete lack of any evidence which suggests that either of these hoaxes could possibly be real was just a fortunate circumstance for us.

Oh, well. I guess the truth always does come out eventually.

Finally, in a PS to his report, FIGMENT also wants everyone to know that a polite, single page letter of inquiry was sent directly to the owner of the watch asking him his feelings concerning any future tests.

It received no response.

SO THAT'S IT FOR THIS MONTH FROM DIARY WORLD -- "THE SECOND HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH."

Unless something new or real or original turns up during the next four weeks, my good friend FIGMENT and I will stay busy doing other things.

But we'll be back in April, the month of fools, to see who is still around and if anything at all has changed.

From the land of hoaxes, with love and good will to all,

--John

Lee McLoughlin
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a confession to make. I was a devout believer that the diary was fake but have changed my mind.

I believe that James Maybrick had broke his arm and had someone else to write the entries. (prove that wrong)

I believe that he forgot what really happend in MJK's flat and that he didn't write the "ten little whores" poems and, and this takes some thinking about, using his friendship with Doctor Who went forward in time to 1987 to gather information about himself to "fill in the blanks". (prove that wrong)

And , finally,

This is where I end the mystery of JTR once and for all, I'm not scared of killing an industry,

I believe that James Maybrick also killed 2 people in Manchester, as the diary says, but in 2025. He went in the TARDIS and we just dont know about them yet.

GAME, SET and MATCH!

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

The Wall Street Journal pointed out that yesterday was also Pi Day (3.14). While I am sorry that the newspaper did not acknowledge DiTA Day I hope you are willing to share the occasion with something as enduring as a mathematical constant. After all, celebrating "Pi in the sky" seems a natural for Figment and Diary World. I hope you agree.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREETINGS!

And WELCOME! to yet another happy DiTA DAY!

Yes, that's right. It's the 14th and time for the monthly report on diary and watch test results.

And we are delighted to announce that this month....

WE HAVE SOMETHING NEW!

Here comes the OFFICIAL MASCOT of DIARY WORLD, our very own FIGMENT to share the good news:

Figment

That's right, everybody. This month actually saw the announcement of new test results!

A set of new scans and observations has been done on the diary.

THE NEW RESULTS CAN BE FOUND HERE:

http://casebook.org/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=4922&post=124834#POST124834

A special, limited edition FIGMENT plush doll is waiting in the DIARY WORLD gift shop for Jennifer Pegg and Robert Smith, for arranging these tests. Here at DiTA central, we are now confident that these results mark only the beginning of a rigorous new regime of thorough tests that will ultimately allow us to learn through state of the art technology and science all we can about these artefacts. And that's all we've been praying for since this thread was created.

And, as it always has been, this thread will be the place to check every month, for those of you who are just tourists here in DW, to see what has been reported and where the new results can be found.

So, as someone much better behaved that I am once said,

"Behold, I bring you tidings of great joy!"

It's springtime and in Diary World the weather has turned lovely and there is celebration and the spirit of new learning everywhere.

So check here, as always, on the 14th of every month, in the DiTA spirit of love for all man and womankind, to see the new results of thorough tests on the diary and the watch as they become available.

And in the meantime, be kind to one another.

And have a glorious month!

From the land of hoaxes, with love and good will to all,

--John

Robert Hanlen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy DiTA Day!
Last month's finding threw me into a turmoil of ecstacy so I just HAD to get here early this month!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.