Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Oak Island Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Other Mysteries » Oak Island « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's another mystery worth poking around...plenty of websites and books devoted to the topic.

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/OakIsland/inscribed_stones.html
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only book on this mystery I ever read was Rupert Furneaux's book from the 1960s. I am certain there are more recent ones.

Jeff

Helge Samuelsen
Sergeant
Username: Helge

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I favour the Sinclair connection. If nothing else it does connect the site to a person that would have the manpower and money available to construct the elaborate "defences".

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kt11.htm

Helge
Fascinating! (Mr Spock raises an eyebrow)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 891
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never understood why someone bothering to bury treasure in the first place would choose to include a marker saying something to the effect of "here's a bunch of buried treasure--keep digging, boys!" This site hosts a critical analysis of the Oak Island story.

Cheers,
Dave

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good site, Dave.

Here's a snippet...lack of scientific analysis and a possible Masonic connection....a natural offshoot for Ripperologists! And we've got Joe Nickell thrown in for extra seasoning. I'm surprised they didn't find Maybrick down there...

"In general it must be remembered that no careful, scientific study of the island or the Pit has ever been performed. All currently available material has been generated by treasure seekers who have a vested interest in maintaining the legend, or by conspiracy theorists who wish to link Oak Island to everything from the Grail Legend to Egyptians. A rational archaeological study of the Pit is impossible since vital data have been obliterated by previous explorers, nor are any artifacts in existance which have been obtained in a reliable manner. Coconut fibres, stone channels, and oak beams -- all were "found" in a manner which is unacceptable for scientific study. Just as a dinosaur bone, pot, or arrowhead removed from its natural context becomes less useful for a paleontologist or archeologist, these items are effectively useless for determining what, if anything, the Pit was used for.

Had the site been less disturbed it would have been possible to determine the exact configuration of the Pit to whatever depth it actually ever extended; there's no good reason to believe the original feature was actually 200+ feet deep. Any competent archaeologist would be able to analyze the soil composition to determine whether it had been disturbed, since earth that has been excavated and then refilled shows different characteristics (color, consistency, compactness, etc.) than that which was deposited naturally. This is now impossible since the "Pit" feature has been enlarged to a huge diameter and none of the original earth is still in place to be analyzed properly. So how could we determine answers to the real questions surrounding the site, which are:

* Was the site used by humans capable of excavating such a deep storage chamber?
* If so, what was actually stored there?
* If not, what alternate explanations for the original disturbance of the site can we surmise (i.e. military use, shipfitting, etc.)?
* How can we negotiate our way through the pseudoscience, legend, romanticism, and fakery to find the facts about the island?

Nearly all legends hold some basis in fact. There is no reason to believe that the entire story was concocted by young boys solely to pull a prank on their relatives (though if this is the case it is probably the largest practical joke ever perpetrated!). There are several possible explanations for the depression and/or "burn mark" that McInnis is said to have found; some involve natural explanations while others require human intervention. Again, see the separate theories document for detail on the subject.

Supposedly there exists a graduate thesis paper that successfully compares the basic elements of the Pit's design (i.e. an excavated area floored and covered with oak beams) with known British military storage practice of the period. Efforts during the last few years to uncover a copy of this document or other official British military materials referencing Oak Island in any way have proved fruitless. It appears this location may have been entirely ignored by official organizations during the period in question.

Skeptic Joe Nickell published an article in the March-April 2000 Skeptical Inquirer in which he theorizes that the Pit is simply a natural sinkhole which was incorrectly perceived by its discoverers-- another such sinkhole was encountered on the island in 1878 and was immediately suspected of being the result of one of the "box drains.". He also found that many of the island's explorers and investors had Masonic connections, which may or may not be relevant. See the bibliography for a complete reference to Nickell's article, which is available on the CSICOP Web site. "
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

The fellow who wrote the article on that site, Richard Joltes, has put together a pretty extensive bibliography. Joe Nickell's article can be read here.

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - Impressive list of people involved....

"The independently wealthy Gilbert Hedden of Chatham, New Jersey, who carried out the treasure search from 1934 to 1938, and Professor Edwin Hamilton, who succeeded him and operated on the island for the next six years, were also Freemasons. Hamilton had at one time held the office of Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. Hedden even made it his business to inform Mason King George VI of England about developments on Oak Island in 1939, and Hamilton corresponded with President [Franklin D.] Roosevelt, another famous Freemason directly associated with the mystery.

(Roosevelt actually participated in the work on Oak Island during the summer and fall of 1909.) Other Masonic notables involved in Oak Island were polar explorer Richard E. Byrd and actor John Wayne (Sora 1999, 12; Hamill and Gilbert 1998)."
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

It would seem as if Oak Island, whether it had a basis in fact to begin with -- which is questionable -- has been so contaminated to be about as valuable or important as the Piltdown skull, or as a neat phrase I heard on another topic, as authentic as a Shakespearean fridge magnet. grin

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Chris -- I'm sure you are right, but it does look like at some point the Masons were convinced there was something of great value down there.

Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1971 Dan Blankenship (one of the island’s lot owners) sank a 9' diameter shaft about 60 yards northwest of the Money Pit. (over 120 bedrock). Core samples from a cavern at 212' (over 122' of bedrock) produced bits and pieces of chain, brass, china, and wood cribbing. Scientists at Stelco Canada described the chain and brass as being made prior to 1750. It is difficult to see how a new borehole could be contaminated at 212'.

The Money Pit is a natural sinkhole theory has a downside. Pick marks on the sides of the pit above and below 93'(bedrock).

I don't know about a treasure but I do think there was considerable human activity on Oak Island prior to 1795. Why?

Take care,
Kevin

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kevin,

I thought one of those articles referenced activity in relation to the Revolutionary War.

Cheers,
Dave

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 894
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kevin,

To clarify, the actual War activity seems to have been a British naval base at Halifax; activity on Oak Island is speculation. According to Richard Joltes, the island was inhabited and had been divided up in lots before 1795.

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

To the best of my knowledge Oak Island was not inhabited and divided into lots before 1795. I can't seem to find Mr. Joltes referenced article. I think that in 1803, businessman Simeon Lynds purchased OI from the Canadian government and formed the Onslow Company. The island was divided into lots sometime after the company failed. I will have to re-read D'arcy O'Connor's The Secret Treasure of Oak Island.

Revolutionary War British naval base is IMHO one of the good theories. I think the Spanish were the best miners of the day.

Rumor has it that the Triton Alliance may soon attempt to freeze the ground around the Money Pit to 230'(the Freeze Ring Solution), then dig. If they can obtain the financing and if Triton's three main players Blankenship, Nolan and Tobias can learn to get along. Millionaire investment banker Alan J. Kostrzewa recently purchased lot # 25 (5.1 acres) from David Tobias.

Take care,
Kevin

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kevin,

Joltes is the author of the article on the critical inquiry site. I linked to his theories page, if you scroll down to "Abandoned Homestead", he writes that French and English settlers had settled the area before 1795 and designated the pit area lot #18, although I see now he doesn't reference the source of his information nor does he actually specify that people lived on the island.

Kevin, if I were running the show, my plan would be to gather all the politicians in the world around the hole and then just have them suck it out.

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an intriguing diagram of the site....

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/pit.htm

Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI,

It seems most of Oak Island is now up for sale, including the Money Pit, Smith's Cove and Borehole 10X.

Friday, July 1, 2005
Halifax Herald

By BEVERLEY WARE / South Shore Bureau

WESTERN SHORE - One of Nova Scotia's greatest
mysteries is up for sale.

The company that owns most of Oak Island is being
liquidated, its two owners locked in a legal
dispute for seven years with no solution in sight.

"I've been in litigation with my partner for quite
some time and we've agreed to disagree on just
about everything," said Dan Blankenship. "We
couldn't work together. It's been too long, the
better part of 15 years since we really worked
as a team."

So he said he and David Tobias have mutually
agreed to pull the plug on their business, Oak
Island Tours Inc., and their hopes of finding
any treasure on Oak Island.

Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. LeBlanc agreed
to their liquidation plan and appointed WBLI
Incorporated to take care of the sale of the
land and the company's assets.

Derek Cramm is president of WBLI. "It's his
mandate to advertise and make it known that 92
acres (37 hectares) of the island is going to be
sold," Mr. Blankenship said.

Mr. Cramm said an advertisement will appear in
The Chronicle Herald, in accordance with the
Canada Business Corporations Act, this Saturday.

There is no deadline by which the land must be
sold. Indeed, a buyer would have to receive the
seal of approval from both Mr. Blankenship and
Mr. Tobias. That means either of them can also
veto a potential buyer if he doesn't agree with
the buyers' plans for the land.

Mr. Blankenship said this agreement effectively
brings to an end seven years of legal wrangling
between himself and Mr. Tobias, in which they
had each sued and counter-sued each other.

In court documents filed in Bridgewater, Mr. Tobias,
who lives in Montreal, claimed Mr. Blankenship
misappropriated company funds for his own personal
use, breached his fiduciary duties to Oak Island
Tours and damaged its reputation.

Mr. Blankenship denied the allegations and said,
in fact, he used his own personal money to keep
the company going and was owed $45,000 in back
wages from Mr. Tobias.

In August, 2004, the two sides told the court
they intended to go ahead with their court actions,
and this past March they were given a one-year
extension to pursue their cases.

Mr. Blankenship said that is all water under the
bridge now. "I withdrew my action," he said, and
didn't want to talk about the court action.
"There's no reason to rub salt in the wound. We
reached the stage where we both agreed we can't
get along, so let's sell."

Mr. Blankenship took that argument to the Supreme
Court of Nova Scotia last August. In papers filed
in Halifax, he said the two of them just could
not get along, and should be allowed to dissolve
their company.

He said he was owed more than $100,000 and had
been carrying property taxes on the island. He
also alleged that Oak Island Tours had failed to
work as a company and had not held a meeting
since 1993, and said he felt excluded from
activities on Oak Island.

He said Mr. Tobias had not asked for his consent
when he let an exploration company do tests and
a filmmaker make a documentary, and he felt as
if he was being pushed out.

Justice LeBlanc consented to the liquidation
plan in May.

He got what he wanted, but Mr. Blankenship said
it is difficult to give up completely on his
dream to one day uncover the hidden mysteries of
Oak Island, whether it's the treasure of Capt.
William Kidd or lost manuscripts of William Shakespeare.

"If a treasure hunter comes in and he's very
well-heeled and wants to pursue this to the
ultimate end, that's fine," he said.

But his preference is to sell the island to the
province to develop as a tourist destination.
"I think it can be a tourist mecca that would
rival anything we have in the province.
I personally am very, very partial to the
province buying it."

Mr. Blankenship turns 82 this year, and Mr.
Tobias will be 81. Oak Island has consumed their
lives for decades, and Mr. Blankenship said it
is hard to let go.

It will be with a touch of sadness and regret
that he signs a sale agreement, and he hopes
whatever that deal will be, it will allow the
mystique of the famed island to live on.

"I spent the better part of 40 years on Oak Island.
When I gave up a very good business in Miami
to pursue Oak Island, I did it with the full
intention of completing the mystery of Oak
Island," he said.

Now, if the right person with $7 million comes
along, he would be invited to take over that dream.
"It would depend upon the buyer and their reasons,
and they would have to have deep pockets, but
we're in a position to control some of that; we
don't have to accept just any offer,"
Mr. Blankenship said.

He said he does not want to see the island broken
up into lots, and will only agree to sell if the
land goes as a package deal.

He has already turned down a good offer from a
developer who wanted to build condos on the island.
"It won't happen in my lifetime," Mr. Blankenship
said steadfastly. "Money's not my god.
It has never been, and it isn't now."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.