Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: The Stride Murder - by NotBlamedForNothing 3 minutes ago.
Casebook Announcements: Security Patch Update - by Admin 42 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Senator Gerard Rennick... - by Svensson 56 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Darkness of Bakers Row - by A P Tomlinson 1 hour ago.
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Annie Chapman: 29 Hanbury Street - by John Wheat 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - by Lewis C 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - by Lewis C 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: The Stride Murder - (47 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Darkness of Bakers Row - (39 posts)
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - (15 posts)
Witnesses: John Richardson - (8 posts)
Annie Chapman: 29 Hanbury Street - (3 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: What's in a name? - (2 posts)

Times (London)
22 December 1894


At WEST LONDON, yesterday, REGINALD SAUNDERSON was again brought up on remand, before Mr. Curtis Bennett, charged with the murder of Augusta Dawes in Holland-park-road on Sunday night, the 25th ult. Mr. Horace Avory, instructed by Mr. Williamson, again appeared for the Treasury, and Mr. B. Wontner for the prisoner. Mr. C.O. Humphreys watched the case on behalf of Dr. Langdon Down, of Hampton-wick. The father of the prisoner was also present. The first witness examined was Mrs. Elizabeth Ahrrens, who lived in St. Alban's-place, Haymarket, and who said she had known the prisoner about 12 months. About a year ago he stayed at her house for a few days with his father. She thought she saw him again in the month of May last. He called and asked him again in the month of May last. He called and asked for the loan of 2s., which she gave him. She last saw him about 10 o'clock on Sunday night, the 25th ult., when he called and asked to be accommodated with a room. He said he wanted a room for himself that night and one for his brother, who would arrive from India on the following day. She told him that she could not accommodate him, and advised him to go to the Constitutional Club. William Bufton Moss, a letter carrier, said that about 5 40 on the morning of the 26th ult. he was going off duty in the company of another postman in Hampstead-road, and when they were about five minutes' from Euston the prisoner came up from the direction of London and inquired the way to Willesden. He appeared to be footsore, and said he wanted to find Georges-road, off the Harrow-road. Witness told him there was no such road. The prisoner then said he was going to the house of a Mrs. Thompson, who was dead, and was going to bury her, that she was no relative of his, only a very particular friend. Witness pointed out to him that it was a long distance to walk, and advised him to go to Gower-street and get a workman's return ticket for 3d. He said he had no money, and witness gave him 3d., for which the prisoner gave him a pocket atlas in exchange. He further said that he had walked from Guildford, starting on Sunday at 4 a.m. He was without an overcoat, and said he had sold it on the road. He also said he had spent all his money in drink. Witness walked with prisoner to the corner of George-street. The prisoner said he had seen an awful murder when coming through Westbourne-grove; that there was a woman with a great hole in her windpipe; that 12 policemen were around her, and that the villain had escaped. Witness directed the prisoner to Gower-street, and left him going in that direction. William John Hawkins, landlord of the Havelock, Station-road, Harrow, having stated that about 11 o'clock on the morning of the 26th ult. a man, whom he believed to be the prisoner, came into his house and called for half a pint of bitter beer. Henry Charles Batchelor, porter at Harrow station, said the prisoner came there at 12 5, and asked for a train for Rugby. He first asked witness if he had heard of the terrible accident that morning at Clapham Junction, saying 16 persons were killed, including the guard. The prisoner left by the 12 11 train. James Longhurst, assistant junior master at Eastcote establishment, identified the razor which the prisoner sold to the trooper at the Horse Guards. He used it a day or two before Saunderson left, and missed it from a drawer in his bedroom on the Wednesday afterwards. Their rooms were adjoining, and the prisoner had to pass through witness's room to get to his. Mrs. Mary Langdon Down, the wife of Dr. Down, said Saunderson had been with them since December, 1888. He had been away on several occasions for his vacation. Witness had suggested that he should go out to the colonies, and he was learning gardening for that purpose. It was arranged that he should go out at the end of three months from the time he left the establishment. A young man named Griffiths, who was with the prisoner on Sunday, the 25th, was in the country on his holidays. The letter signed "Jack the Ripper" was produced, and the witness said it was in the prisoner's handwriting. Since the arrangement for the prisoner to go out to the colonies he had been allowed to go out once on Sundays to church, but always with other boys who had the same privilege and in the company of a master or the matron. Evidence of the prisoner's arrest in Ireland was then adduced. Inspector Smith produced the prisoner's letter, which was received at Kensington police-station, and said it bore a halfpenny stamp. Sergeant Thompson said the prisoner made no answer to the charge. The officer was questioned with respect to the blood-stained handkerchief which he received with the prisoner, and said there were not any initials upon it. The handkerchief was quite new. By Mr. Wontner.-The prisoner had a sore mouth, which was bleeding. On the application of Mr. Wontner, a remand was granted until Friday next, but a short adjournment was made for the attendance of Dr. Bond. On the removal of the prisoner some excitement was caused by his being seen to make a run for the passage leading to the outside of the court and the cells. Instantly an order to "close up" came from the inspector on duty, and all eyes were turned in the direction of the door. It appeared that the prisoner, on walking out of the dock, made a left-handed blow at the assistant-gaoler and darted quickly into the passage. He was immediately followed and promptly secured. Later in the day he was again brought into court, and at once remanded, there being some misunderstanding as to Dr. Bond's attendance.

Related pages:
       Press Reports: Bangor Daily Whig and Courier - 17 January 1895 
       Press Reports: Fort Wayne News - 29 January 1895 
       Press Reports: Fort Wayne Weekly Sentinel - 26 November 1894 
       Press Reports: Indiana Democrat - 6 December 1894 
       Press Reports: Marion Daily Star - 26 December 1894 
       Press Reports: Marion Daily Star - 4 December 1894 
       Press Reports: Ogden Standard - 30 January 1895 
       Press Reports: Ogden Standard - 8 December 1894 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 10 December 1894 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 11 December 1894 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 8 January 1895 
       Ripper Media: Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - Reginald Saunderson