Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: The Stride Murder - by NotBlamedForNothing 3 minutes ago.
Casebook Announcements: Security Patch Update - by Admin 42 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Senator Gerard Rennick... - by Svensson 56 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Darkness of Bakers Row - by A P Tomlinson 1 hour ago.
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Annie Chapman: 29 Hanbury Street - by John Wheat 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - by Lewis C 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - by Lewis C 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: The Stride Murder - (47 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Darkness of Bakers Row - (39 posts)
Witnesses: A closer look at Eagle and Lave - (15 posts)
Witnesses: John Richardson - (8 posts)
Annie Chapman: 29 Hanbury Street - (3 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: What's in a name? - (2 posts)

Times (London)
24 August 1891

At WORSHIP-STREET, PERCY GREATHEAD, 29, who was described on the police-sheet as a gentleman, living at Wood's Hotel, Furnival's-inn, Holborn, was charged before Mr. Montagu Williams, Q.C., with presenting a loaded revolver at Margaret Sweeney, at Queen Anne-street, Whitechapel. The prisoner (a powerfully-built man) was represented by Mr. Morris. The prosecutrix, a young Irish woman, living in Queen Anne-street, said that at half-past 2 that morning she was standing at her door, and the prisoner passed. A minute later he came back and put a revolver in her face. He did not say a word before he did it, but then said he would put a bullet in her. He walked away, and she and a man named Hayes followed and gave the prisoner in charge. Dennis Donovan, of Worsley's-buildings, Dockhead, said that he was standing with Sweeney outside her door, and as the prisoner passed she remarked that he was a detective. About the same time a man whom she knew spoke to her, and she called out to him, "Now, then, bighead, it is time you were in bed." Then the prisoner walked back and presented a revolver at her, saying if she meant him he would shoot her. She said she had not said anything to him, and he walked away. They followed him, and meeting a constable, told him, and gave the prisoner in charge. Police-constable Handley, 369 J, deposed that he asked the prisoner if he had a revolver, and the prisoner denied it. When taken to the station, however, he admitted that he had a revolver, and produced it. He admitted that he had put it to the woman's face, but denied that he meant to shoot her. Inspector Webb, J Division, said that the prosecutrix, when she charged the prisoner at the station, admitted having said as he passed, "Is that Jack the Ripper?" The revolver was fully loaded. Upon the prisoner was also found six cartridges and a huge bowie knife, in case. The latter weapon, which was produced, was evidently new, and Mr. Montagu Williams directed that inquiries should be made where it was purchased. The prisoner said he had bought it in the Strand a day or two ago. The revolver was evidently not a new weapon, and the prisoner's account of his night's proceedings was that, having a desire to see the scene of the Whitechapel murders, he had taken a cab to Buck's-row, and, leaving the vehicle there, had walked down it. He declared that he was sober, but admitted that he had been drinking heavily for some days. His nerves were affected, and a man walked towards him and said something which he took as referring to himself. The woman Sweeney was close by, and called out, "bighead." He thought "bighead" meant "Greathead"-his own name-and that there was an attack intended on him. He also heard the remark, "Here's Jack the Ripper," and, under the influence of the moment, produced his revolver. Mr. W.W. Lees, manager of Wood's Hotel, said the prisoner had been drinking heavily for a fortnight, and had been attended by a doctor. He had traveled a great deal, and was of no occupation. Mr. Montagu Williams remanded the prisoner for a week, refusing bail.